2019-02-10 12:11:37

I'd rather learn linux by means of virtualizing and such before going linux. Or maybe buying a low-end vps to tryout things.

There's a problem: When I install arch on VMWare it freezes up after a while. It seems the OS itself has freezed up because I can open VMWare menus and such.
On virtualbox there's no such issue but I've got sound issues instead there. The sound's all choppy in there.

Also another question about linux:

Is there an accessible remote desktop tool for linux like RDP in windows where I could open orca and other GUI-based apps?
As far as I know TightVNC doesn't transmit sound so it is unusable.

2019-02-10 13:55:39

I dug out my specs for my old desktop, and though they seem pretty decent, I've run into a lot of weird issues.

First off....the specs, as from system monitor

CPU:AMD Athlon (tm) II X4 640 x4
RAM:8 GB
HDD: 1TB SSD

Graphics: Nvidia GTX 420

So, based off of those specs.....I'm not quite getting why things such as Firefox are either outright lagging, or feel slow. I'm well aware it's not some 20 core 16 GB of RAM monster system, but it certainly isn't some netbook either. I'm unsure what exactly is causing that slowdown really, if it's Ubuntu Mate having stuff going on, or my choice of programs.

I mostly use it for everyday stuff like net browsing, streaming media, email, et cetera, so there's no logical reason why it should be struggling given that hardware. I'm unsure if changing distros would help, or if I should just change what I use for said activities. I've yet to find a web browser besides Chromium that feels responsive. THe strangest part is....I have my laptop, which is a worse spec bar the processor, and the exact same distro flies on that laptop, whereas it struggles on my desktop. It mostly seems to struggle with Firefox and Thunderbird, versus something like Chromium, which uses (supposedly) more memory yet feels faster and is more stable. Do I just need to change up my programs to get my Ubuntu system to fly again?

What would you all suggest to help with this?

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

2019-02-11 15:46:27

Okay, I've ordered a Rasberry Pi 3B, so yeah, maybe I can get something out of Linux. I just have to lower my expectations a lot from Apple's high standard. Maybe that's been my problem.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2019-02-12 11:31:43

@78:
Congrats, the pie is great for experementation. Personally I don't have one, but I will hopefull get one at some point.

But sometimes the world is better without sight...
Because You can see the world how it really is...
Dark.

2019-02-13 11:48:30

Okay...so....noob question......

But.....got my new system up and going and it absolutely flies. So. Now. How to change the hostname...

And more importantly....how to change ChromeVox's speech volume....and how to install more voices for Orca?

Also on Linux natively

2019-02-13 16:45:28

I still haven't been able to get chromevox to work. I got the browser and extention installed, however it doesn't speak.

Dark.

2019-02-13 19:10:07

@Potter:

This should work, run it from a terminal or edit your shortcut

chromium-browser --enable-speech-dispatcher

You need that last flag to get Chromium to speak, it uses speech-dispatcher, and it works well but YMMV

Also on Linux natively

2019-02-14 16:07:28

Thank you.
Next question, how do I navigate between next and previous heading, link, list, etc, because the modifier is shift pluss alt, therefor i can't use shift to go to previous items.

Dark.

2019-02-14 16:33:54

Here's what I do, @Potter:

I usually just toggle sticky mode on or off. Double tap insert for that,and then it acts like NVDA in browse mode, for example, H for next heading, L for next link, B for button, et cetera.

Not everything is bound by default (which is a pain), so I'd suggest running through the tutorial.

One huge, huge tip is either Q or alt+shift+Q to switch between Chromevox Classic and Next. You need Next to view things like the settings, downloads, history, and so forth. However you can switch back to Classic at any time.

I wish Orca would adopt a sticky mode type model, honestly, I really like that about ChromeVox, it's really, really easy once you understand it.

Also on Linux natively

2019-02-14 20:22:42

Okay, one more thing for ChromeVox, @Potter:

I'd suggest digging through the settings to set ChromeVox up how you like.

Also on Linux natively

2019-02-14 22:21:11

@84:
Thank you so much.
I only ever use chromevox on my chromebook, so I've not had a use for sticky mode before, and didn't even know it could be done. wonder if I could just map the chromevox modifier to be insert?

Dark.

2019-02-14 22:26:47

Nope, @Potter, you can't. However, when sticky mode is on, you don't need the modifier keys. When sticky mode is on, it holds down the modifier keys

Also on Linux natively

2019-11-23 20:03:44 (edited by queenslight 2019-11-23 20:05:58)

Back From The Dead

Although you can find a more current discussion about Linux by journeying on over here, over the coming days I'll be adding links to podcasts, accessible mainstream Linux Distros, and other resources to the entry post. As of now, I did do some formatting clean up and updated the intro a bit, since I have a thinkpad now.

PS. Competition is good!

2019-11-23 20:47:08

The fact that Brad deleted the topic is just ridiculous. I thought we actually might have some new converts, then he did that. How selfish.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-11-23 21:17:28

@Ethin

Yep? I couldn't agree more.

2019-11-23 21:34:39

Also. Trying out NixOS as a server-based Linux OS. Its worked pretty amazingly thus far with a few minor issues i.e. cargo can't find openssl for Rust). Should try it as a desktop version...

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-11-23 21:42:32

Since that thread was deleted, I thought I would write up a post on how I was thinking of leaving linux, but I have now had my mind changed. 
I have been running Linux since 2011 or so, and I was considering leaving Linux for Windows because of the lack of Chrome support in Orca. After reading a link posted by queenslight, I have now realized that Chrome support is much closer to being done than I thought. This is why I wish Brad had not deleted his post, and how asking for help can help more than just yourself.

2019-11-23 22:02:56

Hi.

Any of You guys had experienced with tails or either Kali?

2019-11-23 22:16:18

@93, Tails is the kind of distro you boot and use, then unplug it and go on yoru way. Its a live-only dstro -- you don't install it, because that defeats the purpose of it. Kali is explicitly designed for penetration testing/security analysis.

My Github

2019-11-23 22:31:39 (edited by queenslight 2019-11-23 22:36:22)

@everyone

Just so we have record of that talk about the Pre-testing of Orca with Chromium/Chrome, from the Orca Mailing List...

In other news, episodes 376 and 380 of the Going Linux Podcast are talking about switching from Windows to Linux.

2019-11-24 02:26:45

I forgot that the old topic existed. Oops.

2019-11-24 18:25:09

Ethin wrote:

@93, Tails is the kind of distro you boot and use, then unplug it and go on yoru way. Its a live-only dstro -- you don't install it, because that defeats the purpose of it. Kali is explicitly designed for penetration testing/security analysis.

Did you test these two? and is there an accessible  way of bootting live distros?

2019-11-24 22:08:55

@97, I haven't tested Kali in a while, and I've never tred Tails (primarily because I haven't had a need for that yet).

My Github

2020-09-30 13:24:28 (edited by queenslight 2020-09-30 13:34:42)

Vocalizer Voices For Voxin, Now Available!

For all the details, head on over to
https://voxin.oralux.net/index.php
, though I shall quote the following from the Prices page:

"

For Vocalizer embedded: discount on the second runtime of same quality.
For example, if the "Nathan compact" and "Laila compact" voices are purchased, a discount is applied to the second voice.
Item
Price
Discount
Voxin + IBM TTS
USD 4.61
0%
Voxin + Vocalizer Embedded, Compact
USD 24.32
36%
Voxin + Vocalizer Embedded, Pro
USD 28.61
36%
Voxin + Vocalizer Embedded, High
USD 32.91
36%

Just maybe, more people will dive into Linux now, thanks to the arrival of Vocalizer voices.

PS. Voxin is now at version 3.1.

2020-09-30 14:13:41

The thing that really grinds my gears about voxin, is how the only way you can access your voices is via a link they email you, and I'm not even sure how long it lasts.