2019-02-06 18:23:55

Hi,

@number 100, firstly thanks for being the 100th post, honestly its great we’ve reach so many posts and that so many people have shown an interest. As for first letter navigation, yes all menus can be navigated using first letter navigation, this also works throughout the game to, so anywhere you need  to scroll to or select, such as inventories, battle screens, equipment, spells etc you can use first letter navigation. There isn’t a master menu for all menus, and although which keys do what could easily change before release, at present there are  two main menu types, one for adding/creating new stuff, such as terrain types, wall types, panning sounds, objects, creation tools, music and ambience, each one of these options are currently assigned to the keys 1 through 7, but you can also use tab and shift tab to change  from one menu to another , i.e. tabbing whilst in the panning menu will take you to the object menu , or you could just press 4 to get there. the second menu type is for everything you’ve created/added and project options , everything in here is in a master menu , so you press currently right alt to bring this up and you could then select things like, class, enemies, weapons, items,abilities, project options etc, and each one will then have submenus with more options for whatever you have selected. Like I said keys could change from what they currently are, but hopefully that  gives you a little more idea of how the two main menu types are laid out in sable.

The Ebon Sky Studios Team
email: [email protected]
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/ebonskystudios/
Twitter: @ebonskystudios

2019-02-07 06:39:54

thank you.

Blindness isn't a disability, but a diffrent way of seeing things

2019-02-11 12:22:28

Hi Everyone,

We’ve just uploaded the  next video in the series, it shows dungeon creation and how to link maps together. Hope you all enjoy the video,please find the link to it below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ2gK1FhqMc

2019-02-11 21:43:17

So will we have a way to hear what a sound is like before inserting it? And how about auto drawing, marks ETC.
I'm really liking this so far.

2019-02-11 22:22:27

Hi,

@number 104, really pleased you’ve enjoyed the video series so far. Regarding testing sounds before you place them, this is something I keep meaning to show in one of the videos since we’ve been asked it a few times, but yes anywhere you are selecting a sound you can simply press a key to hear a sample of that sound, same for when selecting things like music, voice lines for NPC’s etc. I’m not quite sure what you mean regarding auto drawing and marks though

2019-02-12 00:40:23

I think he/she's talking about a feature that would let you place marks between two points and then select a tile to place in that spot.
I could be wrong though.
Later!

2019-02-12 02:06:03 (edited by defender 2019-02-12 02:10:50)

Yes marks would be for instance placed at top left and bottom right, then fill in the square/rectangle bounded by the marks with tile of choice, or if you had more marks to make somewhat more complex shapes like triangles or angled rectangles. Auto drawing means it just places as you move without you having to press a key but it's only a small savings in time anyway.
That's great that you have a preview feature!
Have you made a way to quickly jump to coordinates, save the map without using the  menu, and delete tiles/undo your last command? The second one isn't necessary but it will probably cause people to save more often. tongue
And what about resizing if you want to add more to your map later on or get rid of extra space, E.G. remove existing tiles from 00 to 10 10 or from 100 100 to 90 90, or add new blank tiles from 100 100 to 110 110.
And does this use user made zones for announcing area to the screen reader? If so, how many levels can you have, for instance sofa in the back room of the tavern in the village, or just sofa in the tavern's back room.

2019-02-12 12:19:05

Hi,

@number 106 and 107. ok, that’ makes sense, sadly however Sable doesn’t have a feature like the auto draw you mentioned.
@number 107. There is a key you can press to quickly jump from one coordinate to another, in case you don’t really know the coordinate of where you want to go to you can also bring up a list of objects  or panning sounds on your map and then with a click of a button be instantly moved to that object, which I find really helpful when building bigger maps. Regarding a key to save a map, there isn’t currently an option for this. Quick save function definitely adds convenience , but  comes at the cost of potentially allowing a creator to accidentally save a map after making a change they didn’t want to keep. It’s definitely something we’ve discussed, and may yet make it into the final release. As for  undoing you’re most recent action, there isn’t  a specific key for this, however we have built in various tools which allow you to delete or amend things you’ve created or placed.

2019-02-12 14:11:36

Hmm good point on quick save, maybe an auto save feature then that saves the last 5 or ten map changes? Something user configurable if the map files are large, separate from the normal save. I think that's how some audio editors manage to let you undo previous mistakes even when reimporting the project...
It's okay if auto draw isn't a thing, but maybe you could make it possible to hold down arrows and space at the same time and do it that way?
Speaking of which, is their a way to move forward continuously by say, pressing control or shift while moving? a way to quickly move in large corridors or rooms without guessing coords is pretty nice and saves your hand the pain LOL.
That's really awesome about the jump to object thing, it seems very useful indeed.

2019-02-12 22:58:52

Hi,

@number 109, I’ll try and answer your questions below:
-With the drawing/placing tiles thing, there are already a couple of functions that I think would allow what you are thinking of. So when laying terrains  down you can either press enter to place one tile at a time, alternatively you can just hold down shift and then use the cursor keys to move around but the whole time you are holding down shift it is placing tiles   on each tile you move too (this is the method I like most personally and the one I use in the videos). The final option is there is a key to toggle edit mode on and off, having this turned on works the same as the previously  mentioned technique  but having the toggle turned on just means you don’t have to hold down the shift key and everywhere you move to it places down a tile.
-I like your idea of auto saving maps in this way, it would also allow for the undo recent action command you mentioned previously. Although I can’t promise it will make it into Sable, it’s definitely a good suggestion and one we’ll discuss.
-regarding movement, other than the move to options I mentioned in the last post, there isn’t a way to move around the map any faster than a player would  be able to move around the map. When I’m editing/creating maps I find the move to options normally sufficient for getting around big maps, even if I don’t know the exact coordinates  of where I want to be I’ll normally  just guess the coordinates and usually end up in roughly the area I want and can navigate from there to where I want. . The final option for moving about is both players and creators can add markers to the map to help them easily  re find a specific  location. If there was a point on a map that you would be often wanting to move to you could simply add a marker there and then use the ‘move to object function to automatically move to that location.

beEbon Sky Studios Team

2019-02-13 03:37:32

Ah okay cool, yes what you described is auto drawing.

2019-02-13 12:59:26

Is it possible to lower the volume of the music we select for each new map or event trigger?

Feel free to follow me on Twitter @thecoolgamer4 and subscribe to my Youtube channel

2019-02-13 22:59:16

Hi,

@number 112, although we have built in various volume controls, such as music, ambience, TTS volume etc, altering these affects all maps rather than just one specific map. If you had a music track that was unusually loud or quiet , or you wanted it played at a different volume to its intended  levels or add affects, sable sadly doesn’t have a sound editing tool, so you would need to do any sound editing to the track before adding it into sable

2019-02-14 10:49:36

Hello

This sounds more and more interesting! I've some other questions though.
Is there a way for a player to explore the map without moving? I mean, a map viewer thing? for exemple, you hold a key down and move your arrows, it makes the sounds as if you were moving, but it's only a view of the map. That way, it would be possible to explore the map and avoiding running in cercle for a long time.
Is there a way to triger à time limit for some actions? For exemple, a quest will be completed if you achieve the goal in less then X minutes for instance. Or you active a switch, and the way to the next map will open but only for a predetermined time.
These are my questions for now ^^

Good luck and see you later!

best regards,

Rubyel

2019-02-15 00:21:16

Hi,

@number 114, thanks for the interest in the project. There is a map the player can access to help them with navigation, although they can’t walk around the map like you asked for, they can however see points of interest on the map  and there location  in relation to where the player is, also they can choose to track an item on the map, this way they can get updates on its direction and distance as the player heads towards the selected  point. Also for navigation there is a look function for when inside a room in a building and it will show a list of everything in that room and again display its location in relation to the player and again they can track items  from that list of things the player  can see. Regarding timers, there isn’t currently any timing mechanics  you can add to quests, but it’s an interesting suggestion.

2019-02-20 23:20:59

hi Everyone,

We have a favour to ask of all of you who have shown an interest in the project. We have entered Sable into a competition, winning this would be huge for the progression of Sable and would allow us to expand and add so much more to Sable. Our entry is in the form of a YouTube Video and we need to get as many likes on the video as possible, it’s a  90 second video of the team talking about and showing Sable. if you’re intrested in our project or are looking for a way to support and help further expand Sable adding  a like to the video would be fantastic. ,  if you know of others who would also be  interested please share the link   and ask them to like  the video as the more likes we can get the better. the link to the video is below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbNOid8rejw

a huge thanks in advance to anyone who can add a like to the video or share the link your help is hugely appreciated.

2019-02-21 08:11:06

liked the video. can i share it on face book?

2019-02-21 08:33:33

Liked the video as well. Yes, you can share it on Facebook. Just paste the link.
The audio is quite low, but otherwise a really great video.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2019-02-21 11:05:20

Hi,

Pleased you both liked the video. as for sharing the link, yes please do. every like we get on the youtube video will really help , so the more people that see the video the better.

2019-02-21 13:39:11 (edited by Naruto 2019-02-21 13:40:22)

hy! I' looked at the video again, and you guys are really racking up the likes. and I was looking at the comments that you guys used for the video portion and I found this.
Naruto: really looking forward to more vids. I subscribed to the channel. It looks awesome. Going to buy it whenever it's released.
Epic!

2019-02-21 15:12:09 (edited by threeblacknoises 2019-02-21 15:19:57)

Wow! 250 likes? It was only 24 when I went to bed...
I liked it to... my first youtube like ever...
You know, because google gave me a youtube account without asking...
I really liked that example you did of someone finding the prize in a chest then walking into the lighthouse, though the audio was a bit distorted in that part, such that I couldn't really hear Microsoft David say that the player found a chest.
This project has so much potential as an RPG creator's dream tool I kind of wish I could test it out, though I fear I lack any kind of qualifications to do so, aside from being vary excited about its existence.
I really wish both? of you the vary best of luck.
Later!

2019-02-21 15:26:26

hi,

we’ve been really impressed with the interest the community has shown in the project and it’s great to see so many likes coming in, which is all thanks to you all liking and sharing the video so a huge thanks from us all. ,
@number 120,Regarding the comments in the video, we thought since we’d received so much positive  feedback from here and our social media pages that we would flash some of those comments up on screen in the video, that way there was a visual component  for anyone with enough sight to see the video. We also wanted to display the comments somewhere for those who couldn’t see them in the video, so we decided to add them to the videos description. It was only possible  to get as many comments as we did thanks to comments from yourself and others like you expressing their interest and enthusiasm for the project, so a huge thanks to you all.
@number 121, its hugely appreciated for all the  positive comments, it’s great to see people excited about the project and I do really appreciate that we were the first  YouTube video you liked. Pleased you liked the bit where we found the prize in the chest, and the light house , we thought it showed nicely how you can Taylor make your own games, and hope the prize in the chest bit gives the judges a chuckle when they watch the video. again, huge thanks for your interest and liking  the video.

2019-02-21 18:33:59 (edited by threeblacknoises 2019-02-21 18:39:10)

I forgot to add this, but I watched your combat video as well as your last one, and, while I didn't see anything wrong with how maps are generated and linked, I did have a few questions regarding the combat video.
When deciding if an enemy makes a body sound when they die, I din't see anything about adding more than one sound.
I know this may seem a little odd, but not all enemies make the same sound, such as really big or small ones.
So if I; for example; kill a giant titan, I'd want it to make a large booming sound when it falls, while if I kill something like a weasel, it'd need to make a vary small sound instead.
Again, I'm no coder, so I have no idea how hard this would be to set up, but it would make a difference in how the world and its threats are conveyed to the player.
Also, might it be possible to have enemies make an optional sound when they appear?
This would allow a player to know what they're facing once they learn the sounds so they don't have to wait for SAPI to finish telling them what's in front of them.
Allowing an optional sound when viewing a character's stats page would allow Sable to have an audio version of a character portrait so a player could have the option of being told the class and possibly other atrobutes of a character without having to scrole down a long list of stats.
This could also speed up combat by allowing players to know whose turn it is without waiting for speech to tell them.
This would all need to be both optional for the creater as well as the player.
Again, I'm not a coder, but those are just my thoughts for now.
I really hope this project gets completed soonish, or at least into somewhat of a useable state for testing!
Video now at 281 likes... Yeah!
Later!

2019-02-21 21:15:52 (edited by keithwipf1 2019-02-21 21:17:10)

Hi, I've been reading this, gave you a like, and I'm getting happy!
Are you going to add a scripting engine to Sable so those with the knowhow can add extra features to it?
Do you know what the price will be?
Something like Manamon? But I could probably make a Manamon game with it haha.
Edit: Will there be a way to pack up all the sounds, encrypt them and make sure they stay that way?

2019-02-21 21:34:15

So very very excited about this. Have been pushing this on my YouTube channel and will make sure to give it some coverage on Sunday during the Marathon.

Much less active on this forum than in the past.

Check out my live streams: http://lerven.me
follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/liamerven