2019-01-25 18:15:37 (edited by jacerbt 2019-01-25 18:16:56)

Hello. I have seen that on the masonasons forum, there has been a huge influx of spam topics that don't relate to what the forum is for. I reported about 33 topics on there yesterday, and over night, my inbox had 100 unread emails telling about new spam topics in the general discution forum. This is still going on, I am still getting emails from the forum about the spam topics that are being created. It has become to much to report, aspecially because you have to wait at least 60 seconds in between reports. Mason, if you are still following on here, please take action!

2019-01-25 18:39:33

If there are that many, it's probably not worth reporting them all heh

2019-01-26 00:01:54

That amuses me to no end.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-02-10 06:35:03

Mason did away with the forum a fiew hours after the topic whent up.

2019-02-10 09:11:51

The entire forum? Yes well Mason is unstable and flaky, always has been in my experience, probably always will be.

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-02-10 13:38:07

hi
mason should create restricted rank, like this forum

2019-02-10 19:14:52 (edited by serrebi 2019-02-10 19:18:26)

ironcross32 wrote:

The entire forum? Yes well Mason is unstable and flaky, always has been in my experience, probably always will be.

Lulz. You're righting this on a forum, not with his x girlfriend or whatever you are referring to hahaha. You are the flake. Time to ignore this thread. WTF is up with the internet expecting you to be perfect? Setup a forum for yourself already.

2019-02-10 19:56:16 (edited by defender 2019-02-10 19:56:44)

So like, are you one of Mason's close friends or something then serrebi?
Or do you just not know what a flake is...
Because Mason fits that definition very well I think, even if he's made a couple pretty decent games.

2019-02-10 20:25:14 (edited by serrebi 2019-02-10 20:30:44)

a

defender wrote:

So like, are you one of Mason's close friends or something then serrebi?
Or do you just not know what a flake is...
Because Mason fits that definition very well I think, even if he's made a couple pretty decent games.

I don't know the guy, I just follow him on the Twitter. It's equally flakey if you post about him like I'm purposely denying the 100% honest truth. It doesn't look that way to me. It looks like you guys are trying to push the guys mistakes here on the forum when we all make mistakes... Blindy life: Too Many of us bitch about blind people instead of worrying about themselves. I mean so many non disabled people that do worse biggert battles, I say.

2019-02-10 20:29:39

at ironcross, mason's games are unstable, rofl

2019-02-10 20:34:37

Actually having been a forum admin for a while I can understand the issue.
In the days when I was working full time with sonar interactive in their initial startup days a forum was thought about and created.
It wasn't used and eventually canned.
Almost immediately spam bots appeared.
I was removing 30-200 topics a day.
I was removing the same in posts on other topics created by users and the system.
I never was able to secure things and to be honest I did reach out to the mods on here and ask how it worked for us.
I do know that while we do have some security on here, we do have a large mod base and admin staff base on here, so we probably don't see the spam that much.
It took me 20 minutes to 3 hours in a day to clear a topic spam attack.
Every day it took this long, and I can tell you now its repetitive and grewling and eventually I just wanted to take a hammer and smash the fuck out of my laptop.
I eventually reported to sonar bosses that we were getting more fucking spam than users and the forum was destroyed.
Its different if its getting traffic, but I wouldn't manage a forum on your own thats a mistake, there are to many spam bots, far to many to bother with.
Even if you are stable most of the time, it will ware you down.
Now if I kept the checks up to twice a day I could grind up 20-100 spambots in 20 minutes, saying that there was only spambots on the forum and no actual traffic as such bar spambots.
When there was a user and or 2 and they got chatting, it never seemed to last long.
It was interesting though when I got a break to listen to the conversation with spambots, if you a spambot read a post by a spambot you would then talk to the spambot, by replicating the post.
Sadly, it just sapps your will.
I am not saying forums are bad, this one rocks but again, I know it takes a lot to keep this place going.
And even with all the people and defences on here, audiogames.net has been broken a few times at least 3 I can recall.
Now we have had a few times where hackers on the good side have warned us about issues to but really who knows.
Point is, a simple no traffic forum on a server got attacked almost immediately by droves of misquitos and there was almost nothing for them to digest.
For those that say mason is unstable, you don't know how sole distroying it is to realise you are constantly swarmed.
Its not hard to swat the bugs but on and on and on it goes and eventually you realise you have 2 choices.
1.  surrender and take it as red.
Or 2, fuck off and do something else.
And there is really no choice.
If you surrender or abandon it means the same choice anyway.
You will have to leave or be made to leave.
I have heard horror stories about people that have stuck it out, and even pulled back then got done and shafted by their host previders  for being a botnet and having a lot of trouble afterwards.
Even if you do things right you aren't safe really.
Now if its worth fighting for with a bit more help you could see it as a valid cause to fight for.
Don't go lone wolf, yes you can rambo it for a week or 2 maybe a month or 2 but a year, 6 months to a year, I stuck it out for that long.
Don't bother, I won't be going back to fight another day not without support and a reason to do so.
The net is a jungle out there.
And the reason us users don't see it is most of us don't need to.
There are actually people that go to the wastes, and while they generally don't tell us what goes on unless they win a battle, there have been unconfirmed reports about those that went into the grinder, made a mistake and were never the same afterwards.

2019-02-10 21:38:57 (edited by defender 2019-02-11 06:06:09)

Sounds like your the only one bitching about blind people my dude, no one else but you brought that into the conversation.
If your speaking of too many people being overly concerned about what others are doing on the internet, I can't argue, but your here too so...

Mason has allot of half finished abandoned projects, and I'm not talking about the ones that were never released either.
His games often have long running bugs and issues with power creep that make them quickly become a boar, and he tends to prioritize new features over stability, a common problem with younger developers and he's been getting somewhat better over the years.
He does not treat his players very well, acting as if they are a burden even when they are being respectful, and he has paper thin skin. This is why he has changed his developer name many times and passive aggressively threatened to leave the forum just as many. He holds weirdly long grudges and flys off the handle far too easily, but seems incapable of truly taking responsibility for his own emotional shortcomings beyond lip service.
He didn't make proper backups for his most popular game, SBYW, and lost everyone's maps. Twice. Some people put hours into those and they were almost like games in and of them selves. Maybe they should have backed them up too, but still.
Ultrapower kept changing in big ways constantly, so fast that the players were always caught off guard, but even at it's best it was never that good.
SBP was a paid game that was coded badly and never expanded beyond a very simple map, just like Ultrapower in it's last several months.
Doomed was also a paid game, and it shamelessly ripped off Judgement day trophies down to the names and jokes, at least in the first few versions.
He has a bad habit of starting a project, making a few updates, and then losing interest rather quickly, paid game or no. As soon as people start asking for stuff, he folds like paper and can't handle it, no matter how constructive the criticism.
Tomb hunter, while a decent game in general especially after some bug fixes, was a travesty in terms of how badly it followed the path of it's namesake, and I imagine that if the creater had known what would happen to it he would not have soled Mason the license, and it still has some pretty hated mechanics that never really got addressed.
Scrolling Battles rewrite was very boring and may have become something eventually, but was abandoned as usual.
Additionally, he has a theme of copying other developers rather than innovating, which in general is fine of course, but he does it in a very obvious way most of the time. I don't think he means anything by it, but it is a bit tacky to see it so soon after the original game sometimes.
I've also heard concerns about player password security that kind of worry me, but nothing confirmed.

I don't hate all of his games, but to be honest the only ones I liked were largely community driven anyway, SBYW and 2DP for instance, he just made the framework, all be it a pretty good one in SBYW's case.

As for twitter, from my knowledge he is one of those people that tends to complain all day about how shitty his life is to anyone that will listen. And while it may be true, that isn't helping and it's very tiresome for others, so not sure how you didn't pick up on why this community might have a problem with him.
I think some people have taken it a bit too far, going out of the constructive and into the pure trolling, but he does tend to invite that on him self, and I haven't seen that in this topic.
He also violently pushes almost everyone away who tries to help him out, so it's hard to be very sympathetic.
Anyway, you can't say you don't know now, and I'm sure many forumites would back my statements up, but lets not turn this into a Mason hatefest.

2019-02-10 23:01:27 (edited by serrebi 2019-02-10 23:05:33)

Ok first off: Please, I'm here because this is a public forum. IF you don't like the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

Your post really bothers me. A small minority of blind people are smart enough , and better yet decided instead of powering into the job market, take the time to code us projects, and you bitch that they aren't perfect? Words are just words, they don't mean they have to do something. I get talking with your friends and shit because you think the games suck or whatever, but to passively attack someone's character just because they didn't wet your audiogame willy is ridiculous. That's what this looks like to me. Make your own backups in the future.

2019-02-11 02:16:47

@7 and all your other posts: sounds like you've got no idea what you're talking about, and no idea what a flake is or what it means to be flaky. Yes, no denying Mason can code. What he can't do, and refuses to do is gain control of his emotions. He's a roller coaster, up, down, up, down. And any time anyone tries to help him, or offer any help, he gets extremely pissy at them. He just goes back and forth from one thing to another, and then it took him two years to make Tomb Hunter, which I was all in favor of until I realized it just wasn't that good. Call things what they are, don't sugar coat them, the guy is a flake, and not to be trusted. Oh, that's not to say I think he'll intentionally rip you off, though I did buy a $5 access to SBP online and it got taken down a week later, which I was extremely annoyed about.

I don't want to kick a man when he's down, and don't appreciate those motives being ascribed to my actions. There's just so much you can do for someone who refuses to help themselves.

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-02-11 02:32:00

All over $5, and you're trying to call me a  flake? My profile speaks for itself. Those who wonder can go read all my other thread contributions and see the ratio of sucky posts to good ones. I'm sure this posts would be in the sucky category I don't really care about these. I should've just stayed out of this hahaha.

2019-02-11 03:16:44

@15, post contributions you've made? OK... let's assume for a moment that post count and user karma count for something. (I don't believe they actually do mean anything these days.) If that were the case, I would have made far, far more contributions than you have. Ironcross has, by that metric. Defender has, again, by that metric. It just seems like your posting in a topic just to metaphorically here yourself. A flake is a crazy or eccentric person. (That's literally the exact text from the dictionary, too.) I haven't spoken to Mason in a few years but I've seen his games. I was very, very disappointed with tomb hunter and the actions that I considered disgraceful to the original developer that were committed upon it. I was never really impressed with scrolling battles, 2D platformer and so on. I haven't played most of his "latest" games but judging by the evidence given by others (other than you) I'd classify that most definitely as flakey. Even I'm not that shakey with projects.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-02-11 06:27:14 (edited by defender 2019-02-11 06:37:25)

Ha! turns out I didn't know what flake meant either then, I thought it meant unreliable, because so many people use it in that way.

But yeah man I get how us being critical over free and very cheap games is kinda harsh, but others have made much better free and very cheap games than him, with the acception of SBYW which really was quite good, and more importantly treated people pretty well while doing it instead of treating their projects as if they were made for him and him alone. In this tiny community, it makes just as much sense as any other to criticize a new game if it's sub par, and we try to keep it constructive until their is a streak of bad ones which I think is pretty universal on the internet.
But again it's way more about the attitude he has than the games them selves. If it was just a series of failures that cost us nothing, than sure we'd be disappointed about the lack of return on the hype and annoyed that this person clearly wasn't learning how to manage projects well or taking feedback into account, but I think only a few of us would really be assholes about it.
And the thing is that, Mason can actually code pretty well I think, but he gets lazy on the details and as previously mentioned, just doesn't have the emotional maturity to deal with the public.
Your right that 5 bucks is nothing, but he has actually had a couple more expensive titles too, and no matter what he shouldn't be treating customers the way he does. Plus with the number of audio gamers in countries with bad exchange rates, that 5 dollars could be more like 25.
We could probably stand to be more positive around here I agree, but working from a major deficit in gaming, and with the amount of young blind people who are depressed and use gaming to cope, it does make sense.
It's not all Mason's fault, some people really do just enjoy tormenting him, but he's decided to take a posture of (fuck it your all ungrateful assholes so maybe I can at least get some cash out of you) instead of trying to improve.
It's not like I have a huge amount of animosity towards the guy or anything, but I'm not going to lye and say he's a good developer either. If he chooses to build his entire self worth around his ability to create audio games, then that's on him, but I'm not going to be a yes man just because of that fact.

2019-02-11 06:38:32

@15 I would agree with your assertion that staying out of it would been the best course of action. You've only served to make yourself look like a blatherskite.

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-02-11 06:55:45

ironcross32 wrote:

@15 I would agree with your assertion that staying out of it would been the best course of action. You've only served to make yourself look like a blatherskite.

The fact that you jumped to bullying proves my point even more dude, but hey, everyone's a critic.

2019-02-11 18:24:59

Is that why I can't load the website or play SBYW?

2019-02-11 19:12:15

@19, bullying? You think this is bullying? Seriously? This is criticism. Must I open up my dictionary again? Oh, fine... *sounds of pages turning* b... bulbs... bulkily... bulled... bullwhips... aha... bully: n. - A noisy, blustering fellow, more insolent than courageous; one who is threatening and quarrelsome; an insolent, tyrannical fellow... I don't think Ironcross32 perfectly fits that description at all. I'd call him confrontational, which I am too, but definitely not a bully.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-02-11 19:29:59

really? This whole thing has evolved into way more than it should have.
Although I don't, hate, Mason, I will not lie and say I like him, as either a person or a developer.
Just yesterday I was banned for the fourth time from sbyw! The first one, and only the first was my fault, and that was 2 years or so ago.
The latest two were yesterday, within 30 minutes of each other. It was only because of Aloken that I was able to come back.
The reasons for this ban were that a player, I will not name names, got into an arguement with the administrators for, frankly, one of the stupidest things. It was everyone's fault, the player for refusing to do what the admins said, and the admins for even really bringing it up, cause it was such a trivial thing.
Needless to say Mason bans this player.
I here about this, and having a significant history with bullshit bans, come online to check it out, and woooo, did I get a surprise!
I will paste the logs, omitting the player's name if he wishes, wen I get home.
But I asked on chat if this player had been banned, mason said yes, stay the fuck out of it.
Now, I thought this was a little unjust, and I said so. And I got banned... Yea!
So Aloken unbanned me, I came back later. And within 20 seconds, just asking if I could have a nice conversation, got banned.
Later on, after being unbanned again! I came back and Mason apolagized to me, in pm, but still.
I didn't feel it intirely sensere, but I accepted it, he just said that he wanted the arguing to stop...
So he couldn't handle a tiny argument that he could have easily solved by talking nicely, so he banned 3! times! All three were unjust.
This is just an example but I figured I'd give it anyway.
There's been numerous ocasions of Mason being Mason, like the fact that he said that he only makes these games for himself, fuck the comunity. He didn't say fuck the comunity but that was what I gathered from it.
Just my 2 cents.

----------
“Yes, sir. I am attempting to fill a silent moment with non-relevant conversation.”
“You don’t tell me how to behave; you’re not my mother!”
“Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.” – Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

2019-02-11 19:39:08 (edited by jacerbt 2019-02-11 19:53:43)

I told mason about making new users restricted but he told me he would have to allow every account witch he doesn't really have the most time for that with school and stuff. Also, all of his stuff is down. His site, SBYW, and TT.

2019-02-11 19:48:21

that's why he needs to trust people, he needs good admins.
If you look at SBYW, we have like 10 admins, half or more of witch are never online, and the rest are either children or act like children. There are a couple good ones, but meh.

----------
“Yes, sir. I am attempting to fill a silent moment with non-relevant conversation.”
“You don’t tell me how to behave; you’re not my mother!”
“Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.” – Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

2019-02-12 03:35:50

In his defense, the number of actually good admins in the community is incredibly low, and they are spread out between various games, though Redspot going down and Firefight just coasting  has made that less of a problem lately.
Seems like most of them are on the MUDS, and the rest are on STW, at least in the English speaking world.
Not only that but you need to keep cycling between them as they become too busy or bored of the game.