2019-02-05 18:58:47

Yes still having the same issue.

2019-02-05 22:04:56

Ok, I can reproduce it here too. I suspect it's the ARIA attribute that I use to inform that the toggle buttons are indeed toggle buttons. Will try that tomorrow and send out an update asap.

Also, I learned something about talkback, or my phone, at least. In android, I double tap a button to activate it, but in the game I have to tap it once with 2 fingers. Does anybody else have that too, or is that normal? Another thing, the swiping gestures seem te be working the other way around. Left is next, right is previous.

Developer of text-based roguelike Path of Adventure.
Get it on Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta … fadventure
Download from the App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/app/path-of-ad … 1449457468

2019-02-05 22:47:39

The two finger tap once is normal. Odd about the swiping though.

Thanks for looking into the issue.

2019-02-06 19:04:07

Now that was a weird bug, but it's fixed.

While I was at it, I also improved the stats, finally! It will now read a stat in 1 sentence, so no need for additional swiping. Finally, I had a go at the live regions, but I didn't like the result, though. It would read things automatically, but not in the right order. I suspect because of animations. What I might do in the future, is add an option for accessibility, which would turn off animations and such, but that's got to have to wait.

Could you guys have a try on the new version, before I send it to the stores?
Link to the 2.1.0 demo: https://www.pathofadventure.com/demo_210/

Thanks!

Download from the App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/app/path-of-ad … 1449457468

2019-02-06 20:27:04

I've had a look at the new version in chrome on my pc. I like the stats reading in one go and the reduced number of headings.

Its also interesting to see stats read in English sentences, since I'm so used to games and hearing "life 15 slash 15" or "attack two dash three I don't even think about it these days, though I can definitely see how that would help people new to rpgs to pick up the game and play it.

Currently I'm waiting for the new version myself before I try another run since having those weapon breakages reported in battle will be a life saver I think.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-02-06 20:59:19

Just tried it and works great! Thanks!

2019-02-06 21:16:28

Awesome! I'll start sending out the update then. Google should be available soon, Apple usually takes around a day.

Dark, I think the clearer, the better. Also, "attack 3 minus 5" just sounds weird. The only place where it still reads it like that is on buttons, unfortunately, but that's too hard to fix now. My code wasn't designed for this wink

2019-02-07 16:14:36

I love this game! I purchased it now standing in line, riding in the car, or just waiting in general has become so much fun!
I too would pay for extensions, or that cup of coffee.
This is a brilliant piece of work. My son said he thought it reminded him of an old DOS game called Wizard's Castle, which I loved and can't play DOS anymore on windows 10 it seems.
Thank you so much for this and well met.

Now the update,   there is a comment, "End Main" that I feel doesn't need to be there, since it is the end of the main just by being the end.
It is the only update that is distracting to me, all the rest are the best!
I am thrilled about the braking alert, that does help!
Anyway I can help just let me know.
A

2019-02-07 17:32:27

Wow, that's awesome! Thanks for sharing! It's makes me super happy to know people are enjoying it smile Wizard's Castle looks decently oldskool, hehe. Not even an emulator will run this?

I suspect the "end main" quote comes from the fact that I wrap the story part of the screen in <main> tags. If more people find this superfluous, then let me know and I will remove it in the next update.

2019-02-10 07:45:32 (edited by Dark 2019-02-10 08:21:28)

@Keeweed thanks again for the update, the breaking status is really handy, though by a bizarre set of circumstances I've actually had worse luck since the update than before it, such as in my last game where I ran into that damnable Minotaur with no shield, no healing potions and no handy mushrooms lol.

@imaginingstuff, I don't know about emulation with screen readers, but there is a handy z5 remake of Wizard's castle which you can play fine with your favourite If interpreter, or indeed directly in your browser see

https://ifdb.tads.org/viewgame?id=5ee3nxfcwzzb9w1d

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-02-10 12:37:04

Oh! u da best...
A

2019-02-10 16:54:38

Hi all, I've been loving this game. I found out about it through the apple vis site, and then I found out about this site from searching for tips to get through path of adventure. This is a fun and challenging game, I've unlocked thief mode, but have only made it to day 38. I've also written a useful guide. It's about 7-8 pages, and goes over all items in the game and general strategy. I'm just not sure exactly where to post it, because as I said it is like 7 pages long.

2019-02-10 17:00:37

We have an articles room. Maybe put it there.

2019-02-10 17:11:59

The articles room is just for that sort of thing, I can then add a link to the path to adventure page on the site as well.

2019-02-11 03:51:22

OK, I hope I posted it properly. This should be the link https://forum.audiogames.net/post/410967/#p410967

I titled it Unofficial Rogues Adventuring Guide to the Path of Adventure. I hope you can find it.

I also had just a couple of ideas for game improvements. What does everyone think about a heading for artifacts, and a landmark heading at the very bottom of the screen.

I've also been playing around with the different characters, and I find the exp loss for warriors to be annoying, and somewhat against the mentality of the warrior class. As well, I think it actually makes warrior more difficult than Assassin. I was thinking to balance it out the Warrior and rogue classes should get exp for 1 hit kills, but the Assassin would not get the exp for a one hit kill. To give a better difficulty progression to the game.

I was also thinking that maybe the  Assassin should get the sword of flame, so all three artifact weapons would be associated with one of the higher classes. Assassin would make sense as master of shadows playing with flame. Also, it would really be something to have the powerful weapon early, but know that using it will likely cost you exp.

These are just some ideas, the game is really great already. I hope people like the guide.

2019-02-11 18:14:15

Ben, I'm seriously honored for the guide you wrote about Path of Adventure. It's an absolute delight to read (at least for me) and had me LOL a few times. Thanks so much for this! I found 2 minor points:
- After 6 elixers the required xp stays at 20
- Burned webs will still be burned when returning to them, but not when you hacked them.

Also, the upcoming update will chance some of this, but I expect you'll be the first to find out what exactly wink

The xp penalty for killing a monster in one blow is definitely going out for the Warrior. Not sure yet about the rogue. Keep the ideas coming, I'll save them up for the update and release everything in one go.

2019-02-12 03:32:21

OK, I rather suspected that might be the case for burnt webs, but haven't tried out absolutely everything. Honestly, there's a lot of hidden content. I left a bull whip on an island once, and had the chance to go back the same way, but didn't and have always wondered about it. - the road not taken, sigh.

and I don't think I've ever gotten the 7th elixir, but thx for the heads up.

I also wanted to add some more about how the witch works so players understand, and mention that you need to use a sharpening stone before clicking the shop button if you want to sell a weapon for more money.

For the next version, some ideas include, having the fire spell do 2 damage, 4 with hat or pipe, and 8 with both. could be interesting, especially if it discounts enemy defense.

or a separate damage spell, but there's already too much to find and not enough days to find it all.

That being said a heal spell with the same numbers could be interesting, but this could get into changing game dynamics too much. It has a pretty good balance, and a heal spell might alter a lot.

For another class beyond Thief I was thinking the cursed path. Your character has a status ailment. -1 life for each day on the path. Not an item that can be sold. Curse does not work in dungeons, but poisin would, and poisin on the path would be -2 life 1 for curse and 1 for poisin.

Call it impossible mode. I still haven't beaten Theif, so I don't even know if this would even be possible.

2019-02-12 03:34:14

and for some reason I can't post a reply to the article I posted. I hit the subscribe button, but still got the no permission button. I can try again tomorrow, if it's just an update thing.

2019-02-12 05:02:43

Don't think you can reply, but you can edit the post with your article. At the bottom of the post there should be an edit link.

2019-02-12 22:02:21

OK, I changed the part about the elixirs, added some more about the mushroom witch, talked about burnt vs. hacked webs on return trips, and put something about sharpening stones and the merchant in the cheats section. Although, not sure if I have the numbers right on some of the end game items. Last night I made it to the throne room for the third Giant encounter, but I only had three life, and no healing potions, elixirs or monster parts, even breaking the totem of the tortoise couldn't save me. I was basically 1 healing potion away from victory, and looking at the antidote purchased from the first encounter with the merchant, when he didn't have a heal potion. This game really runs the razors edge, where 1 item really does tip the entire balance.

2019-02-14 10:26:28

Hi Ben, again, great work. And I see you got to the castle with a thief, well done!
I was wondering, would it be an idea to put all this knowledge on a place that's easier to find for other players? Like for example https://www.wikia.com/? That's a kind of wikipedia where fans of games put up all the info they gather about a certain game, for other players to find and extend on it. I think it would be appreciated by a lot of other Path of Adventure players. Also, you could organize the guide over multiple pages, like weapons, items, mushrooms, spells, etc.

2019-02-14 18:47:58

OK, I might try to check that out later. I do have a few other things I should take care of first. I finished Thief mode by the skin of my teeth. Found out about allergic reactions, but given as I had 2 detox by the end I'd say it was worth it. Might have to re-evaluate whether sharpening stones are most powerfull.

Made some final updates to the guide, correcting minor mistakes about final weapons. It is pretty complete right now.

If someone else wanted to make the wiki post in the mean time that would be great. It might take me a couple of weeks to find the time. I've spent a rather large amount of time playing, and now other responsibilities are starting to demand my attention again. I did have a lot of fun with this game. I would also want the wiki to have monster stats. and stats for all weapons not just the short list I mentioned the Merchant selling on day 14-17 or on turn 49.I could work on that later, but like I said, I need to get back to work.

BTW, now that I have finished Theif mode, I really would appreciate the cursed mode. -1 life for every day on the path. To make this a bit easier/possible and not too frustrating. You could start out with a heal potion straw shield and fly swatter, instead of randomizing the beginning items. to beat theif mode I found myself restarting a lot to get a straw shield. It might be possible without but without finding a shield pretty early in the game you're sunk. running from too many fights will cost you too much exp and then you'll run out of steam somewhere mid game.

So starting the curse mode with set items might be a little better for that. Of course, labelling it impossible mode means you can stay with the randomized 2 weapons and 1 item, I just anticipate restarting right away if I'm stuck with a pitch fork and rusty dagger and a torch, key, or even a tomb.

but I can imagin finishing a cursed mode if 4 elixirs went to life, you'd have a end life of 30 and would have gained somewhere between 40 and 70 life on elixirs alone, depending on when they get used.

then you'd still have 2-3 elixirs to heal with and if you purchase a heal potion at each merchant encounter, get a few monster parts, with a few artifacts mushrooms and/or spells you might just be able to do it, it would probably take a few tries though.
Also, I know you're getting different info on headings at different levels. I think I would like it if weapons and items were at heading level 2, then I can jump from one item to the next, without scrolling through the item info. I don't know what others think about this though. Other than creating a heading for artifacts, and one at the bottom of the screen, I can't think of headings that would really be needed. I would like the headings for each item, but I don't know what others think about that.

Lastly, when the update comes out, please post to apple vis. I don't always get notifications for this site, but apple vis seems pretty reliable.

2019-02-14 19:44:22

If one is playing on mobile then chances are one can only sort through 1 type of heading at a time. So, more headings means more needs to swipe, which in turn means a slower gameplay experience. Alas, the previous demo that introduced headings had quite a lot of them but have since been removed to speed up gameplay. So in short, adding more headings at different levels in addition to landmarks would probably be beneficial to those who have an external keyboard, but a hindrance to everyone else.

2019-02-15 18:05:43

OK, about the headings, I think the issue here is with the descriptions of some weapons and items. If the artifact part of the description could appear on the same line as the rest of the description it would eliminate one extra swipe there.
So for the wizard staff, lockpicking knife and sword of flame, just put the word artifact on the same line as the description, and you don't have to swipe as much to go between your weapons.

For elixirs the description takes 3 swipes, 1 swipe says restores the second swipe says "life" the third swipe says cures poising and triggers growth. If this could all be on one line it would really help

Heal potions also take 3 swipes one swipe says bottle of blood life liquid that restores, the second swipe says life and the third swipe just says "period" 
Again putting this all on one line would help.

The description for antidote is perfect, it fits on one line, swiping from the antidote one swipe reads "bottle of green unfiltered fluid that cures poisin." and the next swipe takes you to the use button. If all the items were like this then the level 1 headings make sense and the level 2 headings for items and weapons would not be needed.

Sharpening stones and tombs of fungi also fit on one line like the antidote. I don't have a mana potion right now to check, but I suspect it is the same.

Mushroom descriptions are also fine

Artifacts could all have the word artifact appear on the same line as the description, and I really think there should be a heading for artifacts.

I also think a landmark heading at the bottom of the screen would help. A lot of times I want to take the last option, and swiping to the bottom and then back one swipe to the left would be the easiest way to do this.

Some words about gameplay. I'm glad to hear the exp loss for the warrior class is going out. I think it makes the most sense for it to go out for the rogue as well. Then the exp loss that kicks in at the assassin level would be a good difficulty progression. Also give the assassin the sword of flame. In many games I see this kind of artifact giving to higher level characters. The foolish think "Yay! I have an awesome weapon" experienced gamers realize this signifies danger. It would be good game play for the players to realize they've been given this power, only to find out that using it to secure one hit wins costs exp and will lose them the game if not careful. I'd say losing out on 4-5 battles or about 10 exp is near fatal to victory. So it would also be a re-evaluation time for players as they realize they will need to change strategy. Also with the current attack of 2 for the assassin it's not so bad, you just learn to attack bare handed for the first little while, It forces you to play more murderiously as an assassin, for instance, what do you do with that giant rat that now has a life of 3, do you finish it off in the second round with your sword of flame, taking damage on the weapon, or bare hand the rat, take an extra hit, but preserve your weapons in the process.

I really think having fire do damage that negates defense would be a good idea, and not alter game mechanics too much. If the spell only does 2 damage without the hat or pipe, and a maximum of 8 with both, then it would not be something you would use often, but if you ended up at the giant, and your last weapon breaks, it might just be enough to beat the game.

and having a pop up for the wizard staff, like the pop ups for using an elixir would be great. If you cast a spell, and you have the staff in your inventory, a pop up asks do you want to freeze the cost of casting spells with the wizard staf? Durability - 1 Yes button no button.

Then you hit the appropriate button and the game resumes.

I think all of these changes would improve overall gameplay, without making it too easy or changing the dynamics too much. It is a pretty balanced game already. I thought about a heal spell, but the more I think about it that would change the dynamics considerably. The life ratios are pretty tight, and I wouldn't want to mess with that too much. A heal spell might just change the whole game. It plays well without it, and in some theories of magic, restoring life, or creating food items is beyond the scope of what the magic can accomplish.

2019-02-15 21:23:38

Doesn't iOS have a universal jesture to get to the bottom of the screen? On android it's a quick swipe down then up.