2019-02-10 20:20:41

Hi.
@Dragomier, according to the Blind Bargains audio podcast on this unit (located I believe on post 12), what they do is disassemble the device, then they take the old components out and transplant the new ones into your old unit, because the outer shell of the device is unchanged between the new and the old units.

2019-02-10 21:22:18

Only thing that is changed is there's a usbC port, so a possible difference in the casing there.

2019-02-10 21:29:54

I think the monopolization of braille translation needs to be prevented overall, and needs to be made open source. Hardware patents I understand, but software patents are death to creative freedom. The whole legalization piece on software in general needs a complete reworking, someone said it right when they said that we shouldn't be reading outmoded paper-like legal documents for internet sites due to their vagueness.

2019-02-11 04:46:55

I don't want one to keep in case it isn't for me. I just want to try something for a few weeks or so.

Add me on Skype, search for The Evil Chocolate Cookie

2019-02-11 05:09:10

Honest question, guys.

Why would anybody in their right mind shell out over five grand for this piece of tech?
If you really, really want a braille display, why not get a good tablet or laptop plus an external braille display and go that route? You'd get far, far better hardware specs and probably better performance, and if something fucked up, you'd have to fix only the component part rather than being in a truly cornered market.
I feel like there's something stupidly obvious that I'm missing, so I'd appreciate it if someone could enlighten me here.
Unless braille displays usually cost over four grand, that is?

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2019-02-11 05:33:19

Because of the built in software, basically.
Also the braille keyboard for those that prefer it.

2019-02-11 06:02:45 (edited by FamilyMario 2019-02-11 06:03:32)

Braille displays themselves too can cost up to over 1 to 3 grand depending on how many cells there are.

2019-02-11 06:31:08

@post 29: If you for whatever reason don't like a device, if the terms of your agency allow, i.e, if you actually own the device, you could sell it if you are inclined to.

2019-02-11 06:46:26

Until things like the orbit reader 20 and the associating technology become more mainstream, there's not much benefit to buying a standard braille display if you're going for the high-end. Bluetooth and battery drain being the two primary reasons.

2019-02-11 07:15:06

I only used the one I had through my high school for KNFB reader, and I now have that on my phone, but this version of android, at least on Samsung devices, isn't as bad as others I've tried. I just wish, since it does use a mainstream operating system as its base, we should be allowed to use a regular onscreen keyboard, not just braille. That makes about as much sense as selling a laptop with no bottom half.

Add me on Skype, search for The Evil Chocolate Cookie

2019-02-11 14:19:16

Onscreen keyboard is a bad typing experience due to touch typing. On a phone, I would rather use my tap wearable keyboard, or the mechanical. On the touch, a braille keyboard is the best there can be, and keep in mind you are perfectly able to use a usb or bluetoooth qwerty keyboard with it.

2019-02-11 14:26:03

Urh, I've gotten plenty fast with the lift to press style of touch qwerty my self.

2019-02-11 14:49:34

Until the price of these devices comes down and they can match the hardware for modern devices, it's not worth it to spend thousands of dollars. Buy yourself an Orbit Reader or Braille Me and an iOS or Android device, and you're good to go for under $1000. Purchase something like the GPD Win for $400 plus an Orbit and you've got the ElBraille with better hardware and at a significantly cheaper price.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2019-02-11 15:38:57

Chris, elBraille is not all it seems. It's supposed to be a computer with a braille display, but unlike the pacmate, Jaws does not come with it, only a blasted 40 minute demo. That's right. The assistive device you spent all that good money on and VFO makes you pay full price for Jaws. Might as well run nvda on the blasted thing, but too bad Libluis is a bit more limited. And also, the Braillenote Touch does have up to par hardware. The Snapdragon820 is what powered the Google Nexus6p and possibly the original Google Pixel. That thing could still power a tablet like a champ. The chips themselves are not artificially throttled like IOS software may have been.

2019-02-11 15:39:49

Once braille displays come with a 2.4ghz dongle like my Korsair K63 does, eliminating the Bluetooth connection, the stand-alone braille display may pass for a stable connection. Until then, Bluetooth is still very buggy, and not everyone is on the new USB hid interface.

2019-02-11 16:25:29

THE issue with the Orbit Reader is the slow refresh rate. If they somehow found a way to bring down the price without losing quality, that would be great.

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion

2019-02-11 17:58:58

I am sure once the technology becomes more mainstream they will have the opportunity to develop it further. With Braille-me sort of being the international respin to this thing, it's only a matter of time. APH is primarily a U.S based company and I haven't heard much talk to them internationally.

2019-02-14 02:59:35

The current Braille Note touch does look more interesting now, but it fills a niche for sure. It is not a device for everyone, partly because of the price. It is clearly a device that you will know if you truly need it, and for the rest of us, it is too pricey for what we would get.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2019-02-15 16:37:05 (edited by jack 2019-02-15 16:49:07)

Alright folks, some more info follows on the braillenote touch plus.
21mp camera: knfb reader is probably going to be unbelievable on this thing.
Goodbye Victor Reader Soft, hello Dolphin Easy Reader!
It was a cool concept to have a media reader interoperable with their victor platform, but they would've had to port all of those other features like downloading books themselves. Why reinvent the wheel when they're already is one that may just need some optimization? Dolphin Easy Reader, optimized some for the Touch, does all that and then some, and now you can download your books straight from the app and read them with no more clumsy interaction!
Google-Assistant ready (yes, it is the real deal.)
64gb of solid state storage, but it can be expanded with a micro sd card! The micro sd card slot is in the battery  cavity, I'd say around where the sd card slot used to be. The micro sd card will be formatted as ext4, which is why they warn you that once it's in, it's going all in (of course I had to point out, unless you're a linux user or happen to have the extFS system driver, which is also true.) Micro sd could be perfect for your gps maps or something, i.e non-dynamic information that isn't apps. Obviously you can store apps on there if you are that inclined to, but remember that if the card goes, then the apps go right along with it, so it's better to store other media on the micro sd card. Besides, the micro sd card will inevitably be slower than the flash. Now I wonder if they'll have a  move to sd app for their backup utility?
Also, the volume buttons are no longer a rocker, they are actual buttons. And...if you are playing feer, or using some other Android self-voicing app, the way to turn off Keysoft is to simply use the good old volume key shortcut, hold down both volume buttons for 3 seconds and Keysoft is off, and you will stay inside your application.
You should see this thing start up in less than 30 seconds, no joke.

2019-02-15 16:44:03

Wow...j wow. Man, mine takes like a minute and 30 seconds, and I think I'm being generous. That's a huge difference.

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion

2019-02-15 17:00:53 (edited by jack 2019-02-15 17:01:51)

Yeah. There is no throttling at all. This is it. And I'm told it's getting Pie soon after everyone else gets it.
If you recently had your braillenote purchased for you, I would seriously get in touch with whoever it was that bought it as they may qualify for a steeper discount than what is normally offered.

2019-02-15 17:02:49

We will say this though. IF you are a brand new user and are looking at a Touch from your organization, the org cannot screw you over and get you the old Touch to save a few bills; there are none left. The brand new Touch Plus is taking over the stock. So you will be guaranteed a new Touch Plus if they are giving you a Touch.

2019-02-15 17:10:17

Woot woot, I can get it from Vocational Rehabilitation. Right now, the Touch I have is one from my school, so I'll be giving this back at the end of the year. Thanks for letting me know!

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion

2019-02-19 12:20:41

post 21. I wasn't aware of the history of KNG, thanks for that. However, the apex, according to it's registry, uses eloquence 6.1, and that, I find to be worse than what the mPower had over all.
post 36. Nothing prevents you from firing up talkback, disabling keysoft, and using google's on screen keyboard to type. I mean, I haven't tried it, don't have a touch, but can't see why it wouldn't work.
44. Does this mean the regular full SD slot is removed entirely?

2019-02-19 13:27:44

No, they are replaceing the sd card that goes under the battery with 64 gb of solid state storage and a micro sd slot for expanding the storage about where the main storage card is on a standard touch.