2019-02-08 23:43:51

this is a serious question.
How do you use public restrooms, they can often be dirty to the point of being completely unusable.
How do you go in to a stall and realize how dirty it is or is not?   
Sometimes they are covered completely in various unknown substances!
Other techniques for getting around in a restroom are also well appreciated.
I have been blind from birth but just wondering about this.
Thanks for the help and opinions and other such ideas.

2019-02-08 23:44:43

hi,
This is a serious problem. Usually  you can tell if it smells really bad, you can safely assume it is dirty and look in other stalls.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2019-02-09 02:57:25

well if you have to sit on the stall put tp down first. Most things are automatic now so urinals and so forth, really no reason to touch it with bare hand, just go up to it, do your thing and step back, if it doesn't flush, then you should look around for the thingie. Wash up after, that's all I can say.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-02-09 05:03:04

Lots of paper. Always. Is it clean? Too bad; better safe than syphilis.
In the absence of paper, and also the presence of seats... curse the combination, and tear reality a sunder.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2019-02-09 10:41:09

hi,
Actually, I think the turkish style toilets are ideal for these situations, as no part of your body comes in contact during the process.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2019-02-09 11:16:26

Wait, how does that work, I mean you don't have to touch a urinal to pee into it, but you do have to touch a toilet to poop in it. I'm trying to imagine a toilet where you could defecate into it without any part of your body coming in contact, and I just can't. Though I heard of the German ones that I think are older ones now that you pooped onto a shelf so you could look at the thing and check it for anything that might mean you're unhealthy, but I think those are mostly gone now.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-02-09 11:40:33

It's just a pan or toilet bowl set at floor level, and you squat instead of sit over a hole. It's the term used for them. That's the really short of it, anyway.

I've used these before, you just have to be mindful to get as far to the front of the hole as possible, since excrement can fall onto the rear edge of the in-floor receptacle.

Once you've been there a few times though, works just fine. Used them a fair amount of times when I was younger.

2019-02-10 03:15:46

hi,
Actually I had the unlucky experience of stepping into shit someone had deposited on the footrest of the toilet in a school for the blind. The turkish style is easy enough to use. The places to put your feet are clearly marked, as you can feel them under your shoe.

2019-02-10 05:06:01

Never tried that squatting style of loo myself, though I have previously heard that squatting is supposed to be more hygienic than sitting since gravity apparently is supposed to help the process

In Britain there are a few things  are useful toilet wise.
Firstly, most public toilets are maintained by local councils, so if they were amazingly grotty you'd have a recourse of someone to complain to. So while you might need to be careful of loos in places like bus stations and the like, most loos you find in shopping centres etc are relatively well maintained, and if your uncertain you can always wipe the seat as Ironcross said.

Also, manifestly loos in restaurants and places where food is served tend to be good since otherwise people would kick up a stink about it if you see what I mean big_smile.

The most helpful thing if your visually impaired in the Uk though, is using disabled toilets (especially if you have a guide dog).

Any registered disabled person in the Uk can apply for a universal disabled loo key. These are keys which only disabled people have and which open disabled loos. This means firstly your in a room on your own and can take time finding your way around, secondly don't have to worry about multiple people, or  multiple stalls, and thirdly that the loos tend to  better maintained since less people use them.

They're also really handy if you need to give your guide dog a drink or some food on the go as well, though manifestly you need to be careful where in the actual room you do this since you wouldn't want to be right next to the toilet itself.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-02-10 13:31:36

all right. I should point out that I'm a guy, (you'll find out later why). in the case of a number 1, I just use urinals. Just stand in front, and my hand or any of that won't touch. they're also extremely easy to aim into. in the case of a number 2, well. I once read that toilet paper can actually make things worse than the bare lid. I don't trust the toilet paper method, nor the lid. I tend to avoid using stools as much as possible, unless I'm on holiday and what not, in case I usually wait till all the family went for a number 2, and if they're alive, then I know it's safe. otherwise, I avoid number 2 in the public. yes, I'm aware of the risks, but I feel more comfortable with that. 2 3 hours or whatever won't kill me, anyway. I guess I've trained myself to not have to even think about going in the public.

2019-02-10 15:11:09

Thanks Dark. Didn't know that about the key. I've encountered locked disabled loos before, and just ended up having to use the normal ones.

2019-02-10 17:04:22

I just go at home before I have to go anywhere.  It doesn't solve the problem; there are times when that doesn't even provide a partway solution, especially if you need to intake at some point while you're out or you consumed a huge drink or meal before leaving.  For me that usually isn't much of an issue because I don't usually have much to eat I would overindulge on, so I eat moderately to lightly on a regular basis.  I do drink tons of water though, usually about 32 ounces on a day when I'm not overly active and much more if I'm out and about, not counting whatever water I get from food.  Overall, I can honestly say I don't remember the last time I used a public bathroom, though I'm certain that thanks to my being the way I am it happened sometime within the last 12 months at some point.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2019-02-10 17:13:54

@Flacus you should be able to apply for a disabled loo key from your local council fairly easily so long as you have a valid disabled registration.
My lady and I both have them and they do come in handy as I said.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-02-11 06:21:43

I simply don't use them. If I really have to, I just pee. Public bathrooms are disgusting!

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.