2019-02-10 07:13:04

Connection info:

Okay I know this one has been around for some time, but we've not had a topic about it.
I've given the game a try and written This db page with links to the website etc.

Okay good things, firstly good race/class combo and seemingly good difficulty gradiant, as well as very comprehensive help which even doesn't overhwelm with info at first. I particularly like the suggested race/class combos with the star symbols which is a nice  for new players and those who want an easier time. I'll also say screen reader wise this is on of the nicest I've seen with comparatively slower combat, some great commands for customising prompt and other info,  even text maps.

Now for the bad points.
Firstly, character death and equipment dropping! yes this is a pain, and I gather corpse retrieval is relatively steep. Also I've not run into as many agro mobs as soemthing like Ateraeon, but there might be more later.
It also has the hole "wear best level up gear before levelling", which is a mechanic I'm less keen on, mostly because I usually forget eqsets in the heat of battle, indeed eq balancing in the game seems pretty major, though in fairness there are some good resources about what starting eq is worth getting from each zone for each class.

Also, no quest tracker.
this is a bit of a major pain and the reason I had to literally delete my character since I hadn't played since before christmas I couldn't remember what I had/hadn't done (though I was only level 3 so it doesn't matter too much).
I actually suspect the quests in this one aren't too hard looking at the wiki, but the lack of a quest tracker and rather rudimentary npc interactions makes them harder than they seem, though of course that might be just because I can't recall where I was, though aas I was only level 3 it shouldn't matter too much.

Also, gameplay is very heavily hacknslashy (which is a totally cromulant wordd), and doesn't seem to have as much variety, since there isn't crafting and other activities , random mob quests, events and random drops like in Erion, though again I didn't get as far in the game.

In general it seems a lighter game nice for a bit of random slaughterage, with a more friendly community than Aardwolf and a more interesting remort system too, though not quite as deep or complex as something like Alteraeon or materiamagica.

So, has anyone else played Avatar? Am I missing things?

Thoughts and extra information very much appreciated.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-12-10 18:47:33

Dark,
I'm about to give this one another try.
From what I remember, it seems like the races and classes were fairly creative.
I'll let you know if I find anything that makes the Mud stand out.

2019-12-10 19:20:47

I'm afraid I never really went back to this one or got that far after running around an area trying to do basic quests, then forgetting what quests I'd been given, so anything you find would be good.

BTw, Mirage, two muds I ran into you might want to check out are criosphere and coremud, both futuristic. Criomud is more like a scifi version of frandom with missions to do, whilst coremud is much heavier on the mining, crafting etc, though the only sad thing with coremud is a severe lack of players meaning much of the economy and cooperation that should've been part of the game wasn't.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-12-11 07:01:34

materiamagica dark, oh, you bring me back. That game was my life in 2016!

2019-12-11 11:05:46

My problem with Materiamagica were those silly marks, since unless you sat around with the wiki open, and made damn sure you had done a hole bunch of things at specific levels, you could level yourself past completing them, and saying "Oh sorry your too strong to complete this quest" is absolutely ridiculous!

then, the timed quests were sort of bonkers, far harder than those in something like Aardwolf or Erion, indeed nearly impossible it seemed, given the size of the areas and the lack of convenient scanning commands.

For someone who enjoys exploring and questing, all of this was just plane disappointing.
Indeed I loved Lasler, albeit I had to go through three times before I'd completed all the quests, but after that I just seemed to get stuck and wound up wandering around just killing random stuff for no reason, with either quests that were too quick to complete or marks I'd already apparently levelled myself past getting (god that is a stupid mechanic).

It's a shame there was a lot I liked in the game, elemental damage, interesting stuff to find and one of the best wilderness systems I've seen. Maybe I should try the game again at some point since I don't know if any of these difficulties were ironed out.

2019-12-12 08:53:21

I'll look into those two Muds you suggested, Dark.
I don't know why this is, but I just can't get into space games or Muds. Even so, I will always give them a try.

2019-12-14 20:18:04

Hello.

Has this mud some sounds or sounds are only for Alteraeon?

Thanks.

best regards

Vojta.

2019-12-15 16:11:53

Nope.
Really, I'm getting a little tired of always seeing this question when  any mud is mentioned.
Alteraeon is awesome of course, and I like sounds as much as the next person, but it really does spoil people's expectations.

Muds are text games, if you don't want to play games with text, don't play muds, or at least just stick to Alteraeon and cosmic rage and don't investigate  other muds.

For me, sounds are like a dessert course   following a good dinner. Lovely if it's there, and definitely something I'd enjoy, but not something that makes the dinner intrinsically less of a good meal if they're not there.

2019-12-15 19:34:34

I will address a major issue with Avatar.
first the equipment system. since i became an advanced player I found the biggest issue was changing equipment with aliases. since the game relies heavily on color matching to change equipment.
the next problem I had was creating compatible kill triggers for groups and spam was a major problem.
In regards to sounds. I started a soundpack but since I don't feel like ever taking the time to find every string, and inputing them into sound triggerts, i left it at a primitive pack.