2019-02-06 17:37:11 (edited by ryok 2019-02-06 18:25:04)

Hi all.
I remember the first time I found out about extensions, I was addicted to them. I still am. However, I try not to download a lot of them because they can slow down your browser and impact  memory.
my question is which extensions do you use?
I'll start.

Chrome
  • Old reddit for chrome.
    This extension redirects to the old reddit website automatically which is awesome.

• Ublock Origin for chrome.
    Blocks ads. You can whitelist websites with it too.

• Audio downloader prime
    Description taken from the website: Audio Downloader Prime is a Chrome extension, that helps you quickly download popular Audio formats right from your browser's toolbar (via a toolbar-popup UI). This Addon is specifically designed and tailored for downloading Audio contents only.

• disconnect facebook
    Facebook Disconnect disables FB pixel / Facebook tracking in third-party websites.

• https everywhere
    Switches many websites from http to Https automatically.

• Volume manager
    Control chrome's volume. you can also control the volume of separate tabs.

• Video Resumer
    Automatically resumes youtube videos from where you stopped, Even if you  closed the tab by accident.

• Video Downloader professional
    Allows you to download videos from many  sites.

Firefox

Most of the extensions that I use for chrome I use them in ff accept for volume control, video downloader, audio downloader prime.
Can't wait to see which extensions you guys use.
Best regards.

2019-02-06 20:40:20

Interesting topic, and always good to hear about handy extensions.

I don't use firefox but in chrome I have the following:

Addblock plus: Self explanatory.

Download notify: Plays a sound when a download completes.
New tab, new window: Opens all new tabs in neww windows instead. If like me you find tabbed  an inconvenience and preferred the older system  of switching windows, this is really handy. I use it a lot  doing work for audiogame.snet particularly since often I need to copy info from one site back to audiogames.net.

I also haven't deleted

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-02-06 21:39:42

For Chromium I use....

Chromevox
Ublock Origin
And.....
DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials

All I really need on any installation really.

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

2019-02-06 21:54:22

Hello! Thanks Dark for the extension download notify! I've just installed it!

For Chrome I use
User agent switcher for Google Chrome. I use it to navigate in facebook mobile, selecting internet explorer as user agent, because facebook mobile in that way is better.
Sound on click. I use it because I like having a sound when pages are loaded.
AdBlockPlus. Self explanatory.
Video download helper: to download any video or audio you are watching and listening.
Download notify. Installed some minutes ago!
And at last the Avast extension, because i have that antivirus.
Cheers.

2019-02-07 00:36:55

Just a note. You don't need to switch your user agent to get the standard mobile facebook. Just instead of typing m.facebook.com type mbasic.facebook.com

2019-02-07 01:07:03

In Chrome, I use the following add-ons:
User Agent Switcher, for if I need to download Windows ISO's, or otherwise force a site to load in a different way than it normally does.
UBlock Origin, I like it better than Adblock Plus.
HTTPS Everywhere, self-explanatory.
DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials, which I think was also mentioned above.
QPush, for getting text or links from the browser to my phone.
Mercury Reader, for getting articles to load in a much more readable layout, like the reader view in Firefox.
Download Notify, so that I know when downloads are finished.
And finally, Amazon Lite, which streamlines the Amazon site and strips out all the recommended results, which makes searching a lot easier.

I like the idea of that Video Resumer add-on that was mentioned, I think I'm going to install it.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2019-02-07 01:29:29

Its unfortunate that (if the design document for the next Chrome update goes through unmodified) most of the extensions on this topic (UA switcher, uBlock Matrix/Origin), etc., will stop functioning because of Chromes Declarative Net API that they're coming out with. The extension aPI will still be there but will only allow extensions to read web traffic and not modify it the way they do right now.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-02-07 01:49:53

Oh? I hadn't heard about that, time to do some research. That would indeed suck if it happens.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2019-02-07 02:02:07

@8, yeah. The guy who develops uBlock is attempting to get google to see reason but so far I haven't seen much of a change.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-02-07 02:20:56

Hi nidza07, thanks very much for your hint, regarding mbasic.facebook.com, i didn't know!
About Chrome, I hope that Adblock and other extensions will work in the future.
Thanks for many cool ideas about other extensions, I think I will try Mercury Reader!

2019-02-07 03:36:28 (edited by Dark 2019-02-07 03:36:50)

Okay trying a few of these myself. I'll be interested to see if murcury reader can help with less tha helpful article posts, and I do like amazon light.
i tried sound on click but the constant clicking got somewhat annoying.

'I'm also trying https everywhere and duck duck go, since I know from the crap C cleaner gets rid of that I do pick trackers up even if C cleaner then kills them fairly quickly.

My only problem with duck duck go thus far  that it seems to have replaced google as my search engine though I'll have to try duck duck go to see how I like it.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-02-07 08:03:25

@11

Although you could:

1. Either type chrome://settings in the "omnibar" or do the combination of
"Alt+F, S" to bring up the settings screen.
2. Type the word "search" in the edit box then tab to the combo-box of search engines and choose the one ya want.
3. Close The Window.

, Duckduck Go has this really nifty feature called Bang Shortcuts , where you can type for example:

!g audio games

, where the above would do an "encripted" Google search for the phrase above.
You can also type "!g" by itself in the omnibar, you will always get encripted version of Google.

The same goes for !bing for Microsoft's engine.

You can also type !gopher to search the world of Gopher Space, via the Gopher Space!

There's more "Bang" shortcuts where that came from, "tuns" of them.
Definitely, have a look!

2019-02-08 17:56:36

I'm afraid I'm getting a bit annoyed at duck duck go, because all of the results its giving me are in the united states, and hay if I'm looking for Dhl parcel service contact telephone number or a menu of a local chinese restaurant a service that actually starts with results in the same country would be sort of helpful.

If there isn't a way around this I'll be going back to google I think.

2019-02-09 12:19:09

I don't have a lot of experience with firefox, how do you guys access the extension panel in firefox?
I like how the add on buttons are accessible in chrome, i wish it was like that in firefox as well.

twitter: @hadirezae3
discord: Hadi

2019-02-09 16:25:14

its a bit complicated. If you're using NVDA use object navigation. I'm not sure about jaws or other screen readers.

Best regards.

2019-02-09 20:41:48 (edited by queenslight 2019-02-09 20:44:33)

@dark

Go to

https://duckduckgo.com/settings

, and look for the combo boxx dealing with "regional language" settings,, or something to that effect. It is close to the top.
NB. Its the "first" combo-box!

2019-02-09 21:25:43

thx for regeon settings there Queenslight and for the shortcuts information.
Actually it'd be pretty cool to be able to set a bang shortcut for fantasybookreview.co.uk, I'll have to have a look at that.

2019-02-09 21:45:41

ok, chrome extensions that i use are, google hangouts, application drive launcher and add block plus. think i'll give download notifier a go

For me, the new coding age begins!

2019-02-09 21:59:15

@dark

Anytime!

Yes, those "bang" shortcuts are quite powereful!

In fact, if you just type the bang shortcut by itsself, such as "!yt" for "Youtube," it takes ya to the front page!

2019-02-10 03:27:26

To the person asking how to quickly get to the addons page on firefox, it's control shift a.

No need to make things harder by using object navigation.

2019-02-10 12:21:32

I am looking for the add on panel, you know the one that looks like a toolbar and has add on buttons. if anyone knows how to  use that panel in firefox with NVDA please  explain, i'd appreciate that.

twitter: @hadirezae3
discord: Hadi

2019-02-10 13:04:20

all right. add block plus, the add blocker that's cross platform, and cross browser. got that thing in edge, chrome, firefox, (even tried the old internet explorer version). and that also summerises my firefox add-ons, BTW. not like I use the thing much, so. The other add-ons I use in chrome are: sound on click, to get me progress tones. download notifier, (newly installed thanks to this topic). user agent modifier (again, newly installed). so not at a position to comment about those. thanks for the recommendations guys.

2019-02-10 15:10:35

For toolbars, get the toolbars explorer addon for NVDA, it will help you in many apps including Firefox.

2019-02-10 15:53:51

@Dark:

Another more Euro-centric search engine is Qwant as well.
Privacy Badger too, I'll also suggest Ublock Origin/Matrix over ABP, honestly.

Decentrailize, too for FF as well, that's another good one.

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively