2019-02-05 09:04:23

Hi.
@jsenter: Yes, either make the tutorial longer, or make an extra slow mode. I would really like if the game was turn based instead of time based. I don't get the reason for making such game time based. People with normal sight can navigate this game much faster than us who are using Voiceover. We either have to swipe through all the information, or know in which area we can find what we need. People with normal sight can easily and quickly get a full overview of the current status, how many resources you have and what you need to build. When you have got this overview, which might take like three seconds with normal sight, it takes less than a second for you to press the right icon to build what you need. When using VOiceover, even with fast speed, it can take between 10 and 30 seconds to get the current status. Then, you need to find the right icon to upgrade. Even when you are doing that, you also need to keep an eye on the time which is ticking at the top of the screen. Therefore, the time based thing makes it much more difficult for blind gamers than sighted gamers. It doesn't make the challenge equal. I'm not trying to make you change your mind. I'm just telling the difference. Is there anything in the game which makes the time based thing a must?
@Dark: Thanks a lot for your explanations. I didn't got the difference between defence and offence. I saw the defence and offence text, and was wandering why I couldn't click on those.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2019-02-05 10:35:17 (edited by Dark 2019-02-05 11:41:16)

@Slj, I'm afraid I don't agree about the realtime aspect of gameplay, its the realtime crunch that makes this both tense and interesting, seeing how your resources increase over time and then having to plan out what you do with each unit, you just wouldn't get that in a turn based game, indeed its the real time aspect that  this game so addictive.

Its not necessary to view all status information, as I said, just look for the buttons that are dimmed to know when you can and can't build a new unit, and also bare in mind you get the costs of each unit straight off as you swipe throuh things. Also note you can touch  the bottom of the screen and swipe up from there, which is often the best way to build walls and towers since the buttons for defencive structures  are towards the bottom.

Navigation by swipes can be pretty quick because the build screen never changes, albeit I don't think I would ever be able to play the game on fast speed, and as I said above a super slow mode would be appreciated especially when learning the game at the start and playing more tactically.

I have played games that are! too fast for screen reader navigation such as the combat in the online chickens game, but this one is okay with a little practice, and would be even better at a slightly slower speed imho.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-02-05 21:34:04

I won against the easy campaign last night, and it was as the name states fairly easy. The main issues I am facing is that I spend so much time trying to locate what I am trying to build I often don't feel that there is time to create any type of strategy. I do understand that part of the game is to work quickly, but I'm finding myself looking more for what I want and then button mashing just to get something built, especially since the double tap gesture seems to often lag when trying to build more than one unit.

All in all I like the game, however I do wish it was easier to navigate and build multiple units. I've tried to touch the screen to find what I am looking for, but that doesn't seem to work well.

2019-02-06 08:42:11

I haven't tried this game yet, but it sounds like something I would enjoy so I definitely intend to. Since I haven't tried it yet I have no idea if my suggestion would make sense, but since people are having issues with time but would like to keep it real time rather than turn-based, maybe a compromise could be pausing time while you review things, but needing to unpause it for anything you did to actually happen? Castaways did this and it worked quite well, since you could pause to get all the info you need, and initiate the actions you wanted to happen, but had to let the timer run for it to actually happen and the game to progress.

2019-02-06 17:19:22

Hi,
@29: Please Play the game before trying to make suggestions.
To solve the time Problems People are having, I would suggest having multiple time options.
Also, I think a multiplayer mode would be awesome in this game.
Now off to kick some easy AI ass!

Greetings and happy gaming, Julian

If you say you never lie, you're a liar.
Oh, and #freeGCW

2019-02-06 20:08:34 (edited by Dark 2019-02-06 20:09:04)

@~Zac, I don't know if a pause option would work here, since part of the point of the game is that you can be attacked at any time, though as I said there is no reason time has to move at the speed it does.

@nolly,  I have found touching the screen near the centre good for  straight to offensive units, and swiping up from the bottom good to find defensive structures as I said.

My first few games against easy I was swiping like mad, desperately trying to get defences up, but then I realized I didn't need to be quite as manic, though generally as I said I heavily relied on dimmed buttons  with looking at the costs of units to know when I could build what, rather than looking at commodities , at the top of the screen and calculating exactly.

this is why I'd like a slower time option, but one which still retains the realtime aspect of gameplay.

An Ai level between easy and normal would also be nice imho since the jump seems pretty steep.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-02-06 21:34:43

Hi, I love the game. I've managed to win 7 matches in a row against the normal AI, though that was because I had a really synergistic combination of units, usually I win 2-3 times before the normal AI kills me. Here are a few thoughts and suggestions which I feel would make the game more playable for us,   even with speeds as they are.
1. It would be really nice if we could see more information on the battle report screen, where the game is already paused before you hit the victory or defeat buttons. I'm especially thinking time until final battle, how many resources we have, etc. That would limit the time we need to spend swiping around the screen to find information, so we could have a little more time building things while the game isn't paused.
2. This might be more controversial than 1, but it might also help if we could issue orders from that battle report screen before resuming the game with the victory or defeat buttons. Even being able to upgrade resource production there would get rid of some of the disadvantages we're dealing with when we have to swipe around the screen with voiceover. I do, however, understand that might take away from the realtime frantic nature of the game, so I'm not as emotionally invested in this as I am in my first suggestion.
3. Maybe you could have the game standardized so that all the units are always shown in alphabetical order? The only way I'm competitive is because, each game, I kinda memorize where each unit is on the screen so I can swipe there quicker, and it would be easier to do that if, flicking from left to right, there was a consistent pattern I could rely on from game to game.
4. Maybe you could put each unit type and resource production facility under their own headings? If we could quickly flick up or down between headings to find the specific units we want to build or resources we want to upgrade, I think it would be a lot quicker than swiping around the screen until we find the button we want...that's perhaps a little subjective but I think it would probably speed up gameplay for me.
I hope all this helps, and thanks so much for all the effort you've put into giving us a quality RTS. I've been waiting for something like this for a long time. smile

Boldly going where everyone's already been.

2019-02-06 21:39:32

I've gotten used to the gestures to get to the top or bottom of the screen, so things at the top and bottom aren't that much of an issue. I will give the touching the middle of the screen a try for troops.

I forgot to mention this earlier but I also wish the two timers,Final battle and Time until you can attack were a little closer together. Voice over wise they are nearly on opposite sides of the screen. It's not a huge deal, but it's still time spent flipping between the two.

2019-02-07 00:04:09

Blah, just won 9 matches against the normal AI and was beating it pretty handily on the tenth up until the final battle where he dominated me with all the attackers he had in reserve...freak, so close!

2019-02-07 02:30:53 (edited by Dark 2019-02-07 02:31:22)

Wow audacity, your doing well, I've just lost five straight matches against the normal Ai, due to him/her/it having many more units than I do.

That super slow option and some of the above suggestions about layout would be handy I think, It'd also be nice to have a level between easy and normal too imho.

2019-02-08 03:29:11

Ha, dark, maybe the AI is a gender nonconforming individual, in which case I'll happily use whatever pronouns it wants...anyways, I beat the thing on normal difficulty today, finally. Battle reports help, it seems to be all about figuring out which units the AI has and knowing the rock, paper, scissors matchup between all the unit types enough to figure out which of your units have the best shot.

2019-02-11 22:48:37

Just released an update with a better range of speed options, so hopefully now everyone will be able to find something that works.

Developer of Nano Empire, A Few Minutes of Glory, Evelyn's Farm, Guess the Rule, and Pocket Reality.
jksgames.wordpress.com

2019-02-11 23:25:17 (edited by Dark 2019-02-12 09:48:18)

Awesome, hopefully that will help matters tactically too.

Edit: okay its confirmed, the new update fixes the confusion on the campaign screen so you can look at the labels for your units and what powers you have without trouble, and the extra slow speed gives more than enough time for tactical play.

As proof I was able to defeat the normal Ai in a straight ten wins, admitedly with a couple of hairy moments including a very dramatic last battle in which I was losing 4-7, then started concentrating on attacks which broke the enemy's power, let me defend one more attack, then win two straight victorious raids, finally finishing with me overwhelming them with my hoard of camels, horse archers and light cavalry, just call me Karl Darko big_smile.

2019-02-13 01:37:34

I think remembering what each troop does is what was tripping me up the most. Now that I don't have to spend more than a moment on how to counter build my opponents troops, the game is a smoother experience. I've even managed to beat the game using medium speed on a normal campaign. I'm hoping one day I might be able to do a playthrough in real time. This might be extremely difficult due to the multiple double tap lag like effect that happens whenever there is a live counter on screen, but at least now I know it might be possible.

2019-02-14 10:04:40

For anyone who, like me, have trouble getting the info you want from the entire army reference being on one line in the game, I pasted it into a text file.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kxupg638hecv6 … e.txt?dl=1

2019-09-11 01:33:36

I love this game. It’s one of my favorites. I’ve actually beat the insane level, something I’ve heard that even the developer couldn’t do. Admittedly, it was pretty hard, but I did it.
Now that I’ve beat every difficulty level,  would anyone like to see a guide  on good strategies to beat every difficulty level?

2019-09-11 05:55:22

A guide would be awesome, and if you create it in the articles room I could link to it on the db page.
I've not played Afmog for a while, I should probably pick it up again for some quick destruction.

2019-10-02 21:22:20

GloryMaster wrote:

I’ve actually beat the insane level, something I’ve heard that even the developer couldn’t do

Congratulations! For now, I must surrender my title of supreme monarch to you.

Developer of Nano Empire, A Few Minutes of Glory, Evelyn's Farm, Guess the Rule, and Pocket Reality.
jksgames.wordpress.com

2019-10-03 03:13:53 (edited by Audacity 2019-10-03 03:22:31)

Yeah, the insane difficulty level is definitely aptly named. I managed to win 4 out of 10 before my super overpowered monks, with their supporting cast of cannon fodder met their match in like 30 catapults...there was nothing I could do. Frantically building walls and light cavalry was not enough.
I really like how each unit here is vulnerable to other things and no single strategy works every time. Building a crap ton of towers at the expense of walls is great for dealing with most attacks, unless they come at you with masses of trebuchets which are better distracted by walls, etc. Still, I've had more than a few moments where I see my randomly selected units at the start of a campaign and just know it's going to be a short game no matter what I do.
  Anyways, while we're on the topic, I'm a bit confused about the whole attackers win ties in combat thing. For example, I sometimes have defending horse archers who end up scoring hits on the attackers even when I'm being attacked with horse archers, and horse archers obviously only fight in the first round so I don't get how that makes sense if attackers win ties.

2019-11-27 08:09:43

When both sides have horse archers, the attacking horse archers attack, then the defending horse archers attack, then all other units get one attack in initiative order, then the horse archers retreat, then the next round starts. "Attackers win ties" means that when both sides have the same unit type (tied for initiative), the attacker's units attack first.

jksgames.wordpress.com