2019-02-05 14:19:04

hi
I started this topic to know, why filip bennifall dont updates bgt

2019-02-05 14:43:22

i think this belongs on DEV room

2019-02-05 15:34:05

It's not his focus anymore. He's still around but he is mostly working on his Elias music engine I think.

Oh no! Somebody released the h key! Everybody run and hide!

2019-02-05 16:40:43

BGT is also not just developed by Phillip. It's a combination, from what I know, and Phillip maintains not only his various products, but an actual job as well. Needless to say, he's a busy man!

Nathan Smith
Managing Director of Nathan Tech
It's not disability
It's ability!

2019-02-05 17:32:01

Well, BGT is not discontinued, just we don't receive frequent updates for it that doesn't mean that it's discontinued. He'll surely work on it, in the future if he wants to.

Best regards
Pranam
Don't forget to give me a thumbs up!

2019-02-05 17:40:31

admins, if it belongs to dev room, please move it on there
well, at pranam, you rights: I know this but I wants t o know why we didn't reseaved any updates about it? and yes, philip is bizy

2019-02-05 18:49:58

Well, as it's not paid anymore, who would mind updating us with the status of it? And there's nothing special in it which needs updating, people are moving to python only new devs are staying on bgt and its limited power.

Best regards
Pranam
Don't forget to give me a thumbs up!

2019-02-05 19:12:59

bgt is eazya, and this is reazan of new devs

2019-02-05 19:21:21

BGT is discontinued. It will not receive any new updates. Ever. The fact that it hasn't been updated since 2011 is proof enough. No developer would leave a project for over 8 years and then just suddenly update it like that, especially one like BGT. So no, it will not receive any updates, it is discontinued, so stop using it.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-02-05 19:28:16

as I sed, I love it cause its eazy

2019-02-05 20:14:35

@10, and so you will remain locked into using it and never make games that are cross-platform or make amazing things because you will be bound by BGT. Let it go and learn something that's in the real world, man, you won't regret it.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-02-05 20:33:14

python is very hard for me, I dont know why?

2019-02-05 20:35:43

@12, perhaps is the indentation? I can't help you if you don't tell me your problem.

My Github

2019-02-05 20:52:19

i don't think bgt power is limited so hart, but when i think about it, if you can already work with bgt it may work if you just try angel script since this is core of bgt. i don't know how development state is there i never checked that one out, but it could be worth trying.

Lamas with hats, but with sponge bob as carl Stay tuned.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvAUQt … subscriber

2019-02-05 20:52:49

Stop, using, BGT

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-02-05 20:56:02

Also what makes me really mad is that it seams like philip gives extra versions of bgt out to his friends, because vg storm games are writen in bgt but require windows7 what is not possible with the current bgt version, and also they almost never get flagged. So he has those vers but he don't publish, and this is the point where i start complaining because really.

2019-02-05 21:34:04

the vgstorm games do have the exact same system requirements as all other bgt games have, no other version used there. You can limit your game to Win 7 and above using BGT too, just by calling the necessary system dlls to retrieve the current windows version and comparing that one to a fixed value.
AngelScript however cannot be used to write a game directly, AngelScript is designed to describe dedicated languages, just like BGT.
The thing I thought about however is that it is technically possible to start a new project, implementing the exact same functions like bgt does (same parameters and return values as well as names), and make bgt interpretable with it, which would be a breeze. AngelScript can also run under linux and even mac if i'm not wrong, as long as someone tweaks the generated language to support it and provides the compiler for that platform, which is the thing philip never did. Implementing the exact same functions with the exact same functionality would be the hardest thing here, apart from enabling the same language features bgt used. New features could be enabled as well, such as class properties, which is a feature AngelScript offers, but BGT never enabled and i'm missing those badly right now.
Best Regards.
Hijacker

2019-02-05 22:08:04

then try runing psycho strike under windows xp, because it is not giving a report in game what it would need to do if the game runs but retreves info. But windows xp directly reports that it can not run that aplication, what would not happen if the game would check it self. But this with angelscript is not a so bad idea. If someone has this experience and could do this, it would be awesome, i don't but maybe someone does.

2019-02-05 23:02:02 (edited by Ethin 2019-02-05 23:07:36)

@18, stop! Just stop! Your making yourself look like an idiot. Phillip hasn't and most likely never will "give out special versions of games or BGT to his friends". I've known him long enough to say that with 100 percent confidence. If I'm not mistaken, the latest version of BGT doesn't run on Windows XP either. Plus, why do you care either way?
@hijacker, I didn't know that Angel Script offered such functionality. Either way, I wouldn't remake BGT that way. Its not worth the time or effort required.
TBH I don't understand what people like about BGT. If someone can give me an honest-to-god, logical explanation to the following two questions... then we'll see:
1: what advantages does BGT have that Python/C++ doesn't? What can I do in BGT that I couldn't do in C++ or Python with FMOD or Wwise?
2: What reason is there for using BGT for anything, besides the fat that that its "easy"?
The reason I ask is because there is a hole host of reasons *not to use BGT* yet people do the dumb thing and use it anyway! I could go on and on and on and on about how SDL2, FMOD, and Python or C++ are the perfect languages to make audio games and what features they offer that BGT just could never offer. We need to stop isolating ourselves from the sited community and fucking integrate with them. We must stop making these bullshit offshoots of mainstream games just ot 'look cool'. Because there is a cold truth that every blind individual must except: an audio game could never, ever, match the quality, featureset, etc., of a mainstream game. Ever. It is not possible. AHC tried. And they got close. But they fell short. Many games have tried. And every game that's tried has failed. We need to stop making audio gams that are fuck-off's of mainstream games and *actually play the damn mainstream games*, regardless of whether their "accessible" (purely because "accessible" means that you cna play it, and "playability" is subjective).

My Github

2019-02-05 23:52:00

@ethin
The PE size of VGStorm games is 1.04mb for Psycho Strike and 999kb for Manamon. The PE size of any other BGT game you will ever find that is using the latest version of BGT is 887kb. The updated version of BGT has Elias support and likely an updated version of the Angelscript engine. A guy by the name of Nicklas likes to brag about how he has it, ask him.

2019-02-06 00:02:50

BGT works on Windows XP. I’ve used it. It was past last update if I’m not mistaken.  At least the actual application does in the projects that I’ve made and ran with it.

I would rather listen to someone who can actually play the harmonica than someone who somehow managed to lose seven of them. Me, 2019.

2019-02-06 00:35:48

@20, that doesn't mean that Phillip gives special versions of BGT to 'his friends'. Your "evidence" doesn't prove much, really.

My Github

2019-02-06 00:52:21

Then explain why a constant value is different?

2019-02-06 02:16:19 (edited by Ethin 2019-02-06 02:18:09)

@23, how many games did you test this on? Did you test every possible game ever written in BGT? You say that "... The PE size of any other BGT game you will ever find that is using the latest version of BGT is 887kb." This, of course, is excluding games that, oh, just might have packed data in them. This, of course, just might exclude the amount of bytecode games have compiled into them, because the more bytecode something has, the larger it will be. So, one could argue that the games are larger because they are larger in a compiled form because of the code rather than anything else. You cannot definitively prove me wrong on size alone. The only way you can definitively prove this is either to have Phillip come on here and publicly state that he played favorites, or to get access to VGStorms BGT installation files.

My Github

2019-02-06 04:57:17

The PE size does not include the bytecode or packed data. It is the BGT stub. The BGT stub is a different size in VGStorm games than it is in any other BGT game. Get an application that calculates this (CFF Explorer perhaps) and test this yourself. The PE size is different than file size.