2019-02-05 13:19:17

Hello everyone,

I don't know if it's the right place to post this, but here are my questions.
I'd really like to learn programing and coding, but since I've a job and a familly I won't have time to go to school for that. So, I'd like to learn by myself, if you think it's possible.
My goal is to be able to use things like pithon, or bgt...
I know it's a very hard task, but do you know if there's some website or resources that I could use to beginn? I precise, I've no knolage at all, I'll have to start from the very beginning.

Thanks in advance for your answers, and don't be effraid to call me a fool and to tell me that my project is completely out of reach xd

best regards,

Rubyel

2019-02-05 14:00:19

Hi,
The python crash course book seems a perfect fit for you. It teaches you python; first you get to learn python basics then you put the knowledge to practice with 3 real world projects. A game, a data visualisation program and a small web application.
The book isnt free though. I think it's around 10 dollars from amazon.
And BGT. I'd say you should start with a real world programming language instead. The prime reason beeing is that BGT is audiogames specific. So if you have any questions, you are limited to this forum only, but if you learn a mainstream language, you can directly paste your doubts or programming errors on google to get a resolution immediately; I think this is the best stratigy for beginners. A lot of google searches and a decent python book and that's about it.
Regards,
Amit

There once was a moviestar icon.
Who prefered to sleep with the light on.
They learnt how to code, devices sure glowed,
and lit the night using python.

2019-02-05 22:36:57

Thanks a lot Amit for your advice. I'll get this book and get started then. Maybe it's a stupid question, but is this book totally understandable when you're completely blind? cause it's always the thing that everybody I asked about programing have told me: "It's really hard to find usable resources when you're blind".
But anyway, thanks again.

best regards,

Rubyel

2019-02-06 04:45:49

Hi,
Yes, this book is fine even if you are totally blind; I've used this myself.
Now, I'd like to tell you one thing. In computer world, the number of accessible programs and resources is increasing, but still it's very less than desired. E.G. there are millions of games available for sited people to play, but how many of those are accessible? maybe a few in the tens out of billions. But desire is a very strong driving force. Sited people weren't interested in making games accessible, so people went on making audio games. Yes , I know these are outnumbered and aren't as good as mainstream ones in quality, but they are improving. So my point?
A desire is everything you'd ever need. Think about this issue like this:
There are two students. One of them is highly rich, he has every facility you can imagine for achieving optimum education, whilst the other one belongs to a very poor family, and he barely can buy his school books. But rich student in the example, has no desire to get that education. He constantly keeps himself involved things totally unrelated to education and keeps wasting his time. While the other one has a burning desire to get success and to provide a better living to his family. And one day, the student who had nothing is successful, and the other one? it's obvious what happened with him.
and why was he unsuccessful is very obvious as well. Yes he has everything. But did those resources can do anything on their own if the user of them isn't making any use of them?
There is no need to find resources which specifically are made for the blind. Pick mainstream resources and drive yourself through. Something isn't accessible? try to locate a substitute for that particular thing. That's all.
For us,  our desire is our strongest force. Make well use of it and you will  have mastered any programming language you choose one day.
Regards,
Amit

There once was a moviestar icon.
Who prefered to sleep with the light on.
They learnt how to code, devices sure glowed,
and lit the night using python.

2019-02-06 05:24:43

I would second what @Amit said. It's true across the board, not just with regards to blindness. Everyone faces hurdles, challenges and obstacles. Admittedly, some are bigger than others. But the mark of a person is how they respond, not what they have. Come up with an idea of what success means to you, something small to begin with, and pursue that relentlessly. When you achieve that, you will be ready for your next, slightly bigger dream. Before long, you will be achieving more than you could have first imagined. Be courageous and determined. All the best, @Rubyel.

2019-02-06 14:14:59

Hi
Thank you for your messages, both of you. It's really comforting to see people think like that. I completely agree with you, since I've always been convinced that a strong will is what makes you able to acomplish things that others would have considered impossible. Yes sometimes the will is not enough, but as your story about the two students says, often it helps a great deal.
But you're perfectly right, I've to be diciplined and chalenge myself with little objectives first. It's a problem I've to work on everyday, I've a strong will but I want to walk on the moon before I know how to build a proper vehicule to go there xd
Thanks again for your words, I'll start very, very soon!

best regards,

Rubyel

2019-02-06 14:17:58

hi
read bgt help, and look on open source bgt games

2019-02-09 03:02:18 (edited by magurp244 2019-02-09 03:06:08)

Its totally possible to teach yourself programming, and it can be both a challenging and rewarding skill set to pickup, heh. There are also a few free books available if your interested, such as [Dive Into Python], [Think Python], and the [Python Practice Book]. These all cover the basics, although for more advanced topics like 3D audio, windows and input handling you'll need external libraries.

If you have any questions or need any help feel free to ask, there are plenty of people here who can give you a hand.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2019-02-09 18:24:21

I would also say that the free python books are actually really great. just because they are free doesnt mean they are lower quality. in fact my uni used the free think like a computer scientist book on python programming as the main textbook for teaching beginner programming.

a major advantage of python is it is fast to learn and developing a program in python is rapid too. also there are free python libraries for virtually any task available for free.

2019-02-09 21:43:11

Hi everyone,
Again, thanks for your kindness and for your answers! I'll dive into those books, and try to learn how it works ^^
And if I've any problem, I'll ask here on the forum.
Thanks again for your help, and here I go!

best regards,

Rubyel