2019-02-04 05:07:53 (edited by Ethin 2019-02-04 05:09:39)

I wouldn't really recommend accessible coconut for anyone who wants up-to-date systems, that system is still on 16.04 and it doesn't seem like it will be updated any time soon. And don't use Vinux; that project has died and will never be updated (and updating it the normal way breaks literally everything).

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-02-04 05:38:00

Yeah second the not using cocoanut thing, also wouldn't recommend Chrom(e|ium) under linux because Orca will not work with it and chromevox is junk unless you have the ChromeOS version of it.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-02-04 06:48:30

I share the Vinux Wiki, do to the info on it, not because of said distro.

As for Accessible Coconut, they are on 18.04.
https://groups.google.com/forum/?nomobi … CFfQ8IU2SA

Now, about Chrome.

You'll get "mixed" responces there... Especially for the ones who are more "patient"
As for when Chrome support will come to Orca officially?

Best to ask that question on the
Orca Mailing List itself, or search for an answer if one was givin that I missed.
Again, it can be done and Chromevox is usable. Don't have the patients though? I won't judge ya.

The most accessible browsers with screen readers (not including Emacspeak) include the following:

1. Firefox
2. Seamonkey
3. Waterfox
Two "command-line" browsers which are accessible include "Lynx" and "ELinks," though you have to "manually" set those up.
Help on that can be found on
Storm Dragon's Web Site

2019-02-04 12:55:37

@Iron:

Acessible Coconut is....an odd distro. It started out as Gnome, but after people pointed out flaws with Gnome, the dev just slapped Mate on top of it and set it to boot directly into Mate, instead of Gnome. So you have a lot of duplicate programs and some odd choices for what to include/leave out. Additionally the development of it has halted as the dev's working on another project.

Also, I'm not sure if your errors are 18.10 specific as I, personally and YMMV on this, haven't had those errors in 18.04 here on my systems. Yes, the welcome screen isn't that welcome but I still like it. I just know to ctrl+alt+D and know when that shows up the system is loaded.

@Ethin: A more practical reason to not use Vinux is this....14.04 is going EOL in April. No more support for it. Also yes, Coconut is on 18.04 as stated. If you're going to say not to use something and make claims, at least back it up by checking what you're claiming Ethin. I use Coconut on my laptop as I'm tooo lazy to go through and pull all my audio/ebooks offa hthat system if I reinstall Mate 18.04 (which would essentially be the same system minus the Cocofrix additions and no Gnome)

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

2019-02-04 15:31:49

As Advanced Braille Keyboard is now in the "Play Store," hopefully work on Accessible Coconut will get back on track with a new release.

By the way,
if you haven't checked out the many themes that Mate provides for its desktop, you should!

2019-02-04 16:05:46

I checked out Cocoanut back in the last quarter of last year, so they really got on it then to update it. Still, I would not use a distro that I cannot update properly. I know there is a lot of dislike for gnome but I like it, it generally works well for me and as long as you're not trying to revive an old XP box, it's cool.

As regards the welcome screen, two things, A) I would just like it gone from my list of windows. B) it doesn't matter if I control alt D, it still screws up Orca for as long as it's running.

Anyway, this is why I like Arch, yeah there's more chance for breakage, but also more chance you'll get something where bugs will have been ironed out of packages other distros still hold back from you. For instance, no trouble at all, none with the version of Mate I got from Arch's repository.

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-02-04 16:12:59

@queenslight:
How can this process be done on ubuntu accessibly (installing the chrome browser and then the chromevox extention from inside the browser?), also, isn't the chromevox extention still using chromevox classic? Nasty thing.
From what I could tell though, orka doesn't work with chrome in any way, so how i'd access the web store is beyond me.

But sometimes the world is better without sight...
Because You can see the world how it really is...
Dark.

2019-02-04 16:27:14

Also, sorry for the double post, but instructions for compiling emacspeak to work would be greatly appreciated

Dark.

2019-02-04 16:34:33

@32
You copy the Chromevox extension from Firefox's location bar while on the said page, then after you open up chrome browser, paste in the link into the "ctrl-l" omnibar." After that, press enter, then tab either one or two times which takes you to the "add extension" button.
After that, tab once to the "add" button, and after that, Chromevox should start speakin.

If you'd like to switch between Chromevox Classic and Chromevox next, press alt-shift-q. You may have to press it once or twice, depending on the mode you are in.
Most of the Chromevox Next commands, match the ones for Chrome OS in general.

Ya can find all commands via

http://www.chromevox.com

2019-02-04 16:40:48

@33

Your easiest way to get Emacspeak up and running (assuming the distro you want is supported,) is by visiting
http://voxin.oralux.net
, which I have not tried getting said method to work without purchasing a Voxin voice first.

Espeak however, is supported with said installer.

2019-02-04 17:52:20 (edited by Ethin 2019-02-04 17:53:58)

Voxin with emacspeak also works on Arch Linux. The process is weird, but it does work.
@34, I don't believe this actually answers the question (he did say that Orca didn't work with Chrome after all and asked how it could be done accessibly). You can install chrome extensions like so, once you've downloaded them (if you can):
`which chrome` --load-extension=/path/to/extension
You can download the chromevox extension using a method found at https://www.maketecheasier.com/download … -extension. According to that link, this should do it. Note that I don't know if that method will work, but its worth a try.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-02-04 20:07:56

thanks everyone. One last thing (i'll stop being annoying after this I promice) I'm having real issues getting vmware workstation up and running. When it tries to install kernel modules, I get the message:
Not all modules could be installed. See the log for details.
I've satisfied all the dependencies and the like but no dice. The log also isn't very helpful. Any ideas?
I'm thinking it might be my kernel version, 5.0 rc5.

Dark.

2019-02-04 22:19:56

@37, if their not DKMS modules, then yeah, its your kernel version. I'm a bit confused why your risking system instability by running Linux kernel 5.0 rC5 though... but hey, not my problem. smile

My Github

2019-02-04 22:44:34

@38
I always run rc versions of new kernel builds, not alpha or beta though, not on a production machine.
I don't think they're dkms modules, but you may have just indirectly solved my problem, not sure as of yet.
If I can't get vmware to function correctly, how is virtual box on linux for accessibility, and how is it for virtualising windows?

Dark.

2019-02-04 23:04:01

@39, I think VBox is much better on Linux (though I've never tried it myself). I also think its good at virtualizing Windows but, again, haven't tried. If you can, always get DKMS modules; never get hardcoded modules for them. Those break very... easily.

My Github

2019-02-05 02:04:02 (edited by potterspotter13 2019-02-05 02:18:35)

Edited: I now got the method in 35 to work, but now my quesion is, how do I use this, and how to I change the speach rate, and see what all the voice veriations mean?
This is, unfortunately, proving to be quite unintuative.
I have no idea how to do anything, brows the web, email, anything. I thought this was meant to be very powerful, (or are applications in the form of modules?)

Dark.

2019-02-05 03:07:29

@41, it is very powerful. The Emacs manual is very good at explaining Emacs' functionality.

My Github

2019-02-05 03:47:19 (edited by potterspotter13 2019-02-05 04:00:46)

@42:
I can't read a manual if i don't know how to interact with the software, I've tried pressing enter on the topics in the manual, but nothing. I also can't tell what's static text and what is a link to a potential topic or anything.
Think I've honestly just wasted my time imho, documentation seems to be few and far between, and far to complex. Was hoping it would be relatively simple to set up and use so I could actually be productive on linux, rather than just have it for a lab environment.
Perhaps it is to powerful, I just want to run it and it work. I don't care about using it to program in C, create a fucking program to get nasa to the moon, I want a solution for reading books, interacting with word documents sent by teachers, a way to read and write email, spotify, netflics, youtube, skype, and other web-based things.

Dark.

2019-02-05 04:28:52

@43, then Emacs probably isn't for you. You don't have to use Emacs if you don't want to (not everyone likes it). Use what your comfortable with.

My Github

2019-02-05 06:14:44

Ah, Emacs. Some like it, some hate it, some aren't sure what to think of it, some "swear" by it!

First off, this Wikipedia article:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emacspeak

, followed by the official web site:

https://github.com/tvraman/emacspeak

Also check ot Part 1 Part 2 and Part 3 of an Emacs many series from a guy named "Klaatu," which is part of the Hacker Public Radio Podcast Network

2019-02-05 06:55:17

I got a brand new windows 10 laptop for $108 from walmart. It runs very good. And it also has a touch screen and physical keyboard. the RCA cambio with intel atom z8350. And its OS is windows 10 32bit. so can you get very good windows laptops for very cheap? the answer is yes you sure can!!!

2019-02-05 07:07:06

I fail to see the need for discussing very deliberate off topic matters (i.e. windows) in a Linux discussion topic.

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-02-05 07:12:10

@46, wait, wait. So you managed to get Windows 10, 32-bit, running on a tablet computer with 32 GB of disk space, a processor that (if it is the atom X5) runs at a maximum of 1.92 GHz... and you budded in here with that.... why? I don't really see your point. Claiming that you managed to get Windows running on a shitty excuse of a computer doesn't prove anything. It doesn't prove its useful or fast. (It actually proves that your willing to operate a computer that's miserable to use.) So again, why butt in here with such a claim when Linux can fly on that thing?

My Github

2019-02-05 09:00:59

Dear Jaysus. Outta here with all that.. go go go, gwawn, git.

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-02-05 10:39:16

@44, I think I'll get used to it, in time.
Is it worth going through the emacs tutorial?

Dark.