2019-02-02 18:43:31

Hi,
I am leaving aside all the comments I would have made about the blindness stereotypes in the game, because everything about that has been said.
What I want to say, however, is that some of the voice acting really is not that good. This hacker guy, Hugo, was sometimes impossible to understand because of his Accent (or whatever that was supposed to be).
The Audio was actually quite nice, but the Music during the Scenes was a Little misplaced because it was the same as during the Simulation sequence at the beginning.
But the game has great potential: with an improved script, an awesome Story development, better SFX and decent voice acting the future episoded could turn out to be awesome!
So I encourage you to take the Feedback, learn from your mistakes and make it better next time.

Greetings and happy gaming, Julian

If you say you never lie, you're a liar.
Oh, and #freeGCW

2019-02-02 20:40:29

Maybe if the investors get satisfactory proof that it's worth investing in the company will be able to hire Rob Paulsen, Maurice Lamarche, Lex Lang and a whole host of other great voice actors. Until then you'll just have to stick with what we have.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2019-02-02 21:20:43

Just a public announcement from my side to maybe encourage others to join:
After my first strong reaction against this game I actually re-downloaded it. Not necessarily because I really want to play it again - but maybe I will someday - but to support our developers.
Because there are only so many developers out there who are willing to write with accessibility in mind. We need to nurture them as good as possible.

I also feel kind of bad about my harsh posts about this game. I still mostly stand by my opinions - but I also acknowledge that its just an opinion. I learned from it and will react more apropriately next time. My apologies!

If some of the developer team still reads this:
Keep up the work, I will keep an eye on your future releases. We all should.

2019-02-02 21:57:51 (edited by alexwallis 2019-02-02 22:00:36)

Hi all, I know the blindness issue has been done to death, and the developer is probably sick of reading about it. I get completely that he has to cover blindness issues because of the funding the team received to make the game.
While yes the dialogue isn't great and that was a genuine mistake I have been thinking about it and I wonder if a much more constructive way of raising awareness of blindness issues while still making the first episode a tutorial could be to take sorin or however you spell his name through his daily routine to get him into work, that way for example issues could be covered like how he makes his breakfast, maybe he spills something or accidentally breaks a plate and has to clean it up. Maybe he has to pick out the correct colored clothing from his wardrobe to dress himself. When he leaves the house to go to work maybe he has to cross a road at the correct time and speed or he gets run over, maybe he has to catch the right buss or train and get off at the right stop, I quite like the idea of him trying to catch a train and getting electrocuted by falling on the track.
This way you could still cover blindness issues but cover realistic situations that we face in our daily lives and with realistic solutions how we deal with situations. of course you could still also have some of the tutorial, and of course if you did go down this root we could all give input on common issues we face in our lives with navigating, personal care etc. Just throwing this out there as a thought as it would still allow you to keep to the terms of the money you were given for funding.

2019-02-02 22:03:29 (edited by david_oliva 2019-02-02 22:05:06)

alexwallis wrote:

Hi all, I know the blindness issue has been done to death, and the developer is probably sick of reading about it. I get completely that he has to cover blindness issues because of the funding the team received to make the game. ........

Just throwing this out there as a thought as it would still allow you to keep to the terms of the money you were given for funding.

Thanks Alex! If we do like that, I think we will still get more into dangerous waters. Mikko Herranen will kill me and not welcome in this forum anymore. LOL
In any case, about the funding we were only limited for the first episode, the pilot. After that, we are ready to fly and go free. Don't worry. All cool

Disclaimer: I said I wouldn't comment more, but I had to do it to avoid further damage LOL

mytruesound.com - we hear the difference

2019-02-03 07:23:21

Their are apparently two kinds of people on this forum.
Those who read a bit of the thread first before posting so they don't make fools of them selves, and those who do not. LOL
@44 Good on you for the apology man.
@43 That level of anger is not going to help the situation bro.
Thanks for the extra info David and mherrane. Mistakes happen especially if you've not done something before, and some people will never be pleased or forgive you, but as you said, it's time to move forward and I know you'll use the feedback to improve. I believe that most people will still be excited for episode II, and I think it was a smart choice to make this one free.

2019-02-03 07:58:24 (edited by jack 2019-02-03 08:01:35)

Yeah, @ironcross32 seems like you didn't read the entire thread, that's on you.
@alexwallis: I quite like that idea from a practicality standpoint, but technically speaking that would be a hell of a lot more lines, and episode 0 (supposedly a prologue if it's anything like what Cygnus's episode 0 was) would probably be way too long to be called episode 0. Lol!
Slightly unrelated note, I actually think Growing up Fisher's cancellation didn't have much to do with the NFB (well it could've) but I think the timing of that show was just asking for less ratings. That show aired right when The Voice was on, and you can guess which show the majority quite obviously were going to follow more. And so the ratings probably were not what they had hoped and it wouldn't make financial sense to keep the show going. Who can say what would've happened if that show was timed a bit better, hey maybe maybe it could've been October to distract from meet the blind month. Lol! That was actually a good show though I will say that.

2019-02-03 08:01:49

And now of course, back on the topic of Goldgun.

2019-02-04 00:03:17

Hi all,

I did a full playthrough of the first chapter now. I won't reiterate on the feedback because everything has been said what I could, negative and positive wise.

I just want to share a trick I found out in regards to game controls. I at first tried to play it while holding it like a book or most game controlers, with a more or less 45° angle to the ground. It didn't work at all.
Now I found out that you have to hold it completely parallel to the floor. That way the controls work just fine.
Is it weird that I didn't come up with that before? I've never played a game like that and think that posture doesn't feel to natural to me. I didn't find an advice to do that anywhere. Did I just miss that?

Hope that helps some of you guys who strougle with the controls.

2019-02-04 00:40:29 (edited by david_oliva 2019-02-04 00:40:57)

Honk wrote:

Hi all,

I did a full playthrough of the first chapter now. I won't reiterate on the feedback because everything has been said what I could, negative and positive wise.

I just want to share a trick I found out in regards to game controls. I at first tried to play it while holding it like a book or most game controlers, with a more or less 45° angle to the ground. It didn't work at all.
Now I found out that you have to hold it completely parallel to the floor. That way the controls work just fine.
Is it weird that I didn't come up with that before? I've never played a game like that and think that posture doesn't feel to natural to me. I didn't find an advice to do that anywhere. Did I just miss that?

Hope that helps some of you guys who strougle with the controls.

thanks Honk.
Actually, at least what we tried, it was that at any new level, the game checks for the position or orientation of the gyroscope built in the phone, and takes it as 0 position. So basically, what you tried with the 45 degrees angle should have worked. But I will ask tomorrow or as soon as I have a time to chat with Joshua (our main programmer) and ask him how did finally this thing ended up.

I take your feedback to the huge file of feedback that I'm building! so we solve it for Episode 2.

2019-02-04 01:31:35

While I stand by everything in my post, yeah, I didn't read the thread at all and it did not need to be reiterated.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-02-04 08:54:51

Hi.
Regarding the gyroscope: They seem to work differently depending on what device you have.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2019-02-04 12:46:09

Hello,
    I don't know if you've looked at it this way, but in addition to voice actors here in the community there's r/RecordThisForFree on reddit. Also freelancer and/or upwork is always available, those wishing to receive a little cash on the side shouldn't ask too much for a couple hours spent recording assuming your dialog is all planned out. I don't remember seeing a topic, but if your in need of acting I'd be willing to try, although my heavy american midwestern accent might not be what your looking for.

2019-02-05 03:43:31

I've written and deleted what I want to say here at least five or six times now.

I want to start by saying that getting any commercial project to a state of completion and out into the marketplace is an achievement, especially if it's something that you've never attempted before. So, congratulations to @MyTrueSound on that. Celebrate it.

Regarding the game itself, if you listen to what is being said in many of the comments posted here, removing the emotion if need be - and, yes, I've read the entire thread - there is some seriously solid feedback. Well done to those who posted. These comments deserve to be honoured, even the ones that do seem negative or contentious on the surface.

If I could add something to that feedback, I get the feeling that not enough QA was done before the game went out. QA is crucial. Having worked in the games industry for over a decade and a half, I have often had it drummed into me, "Never trust a market of one." While that saying is mostly used in marketing, it's point is: the opinion, ideas or feedback of one person is great; but it's never enough when you are creating something for a much larger audience. I am unaware of the developer's QA process, but given that the same feedback has been reiterated numerous times in this thread, it would indicate that the QA and testing might not have involved as many voices as it needed.

My other concern that has not been raised in this thread - though it was, in some part, raised from a different angle and treated as contentious - is that if GoldGun is to be a series, and this episode is going to be the entry point for every new player, then taking a hard line stance on not improving episode one might be a misstep. A decision like that would force every player to work their way through the not-so-great episodes before they get to the ones that the developers feel are of a professional quality (their words, not mine). That's not a player journey that makes a lot of sense, and the drop off rate of player retention might have significant consequences.

All that said, I hope MyTrueSound is encouraged. I hope they have learned a huge amount from the experience of producing this episode, and continue to have a hunger to create great gaming experiences. I'll personally be there to play them all, and will continue to support them.

2019-02-05 13:39:44

I liked the game and looking forward for the next parts, thanks and keep up the good work smile

2019-02-05 18:15:16

Blind Sparrow Interactive wrote:

(...)

My other concern that has not been raised in this thread - though it was, in some part, raised from a different angle and treated as contentious - is that if GoldGun is to be a series, and this episode is going to be the entry point for every new player, then taking a hard line stance on not improving episode one might be a misstep. A decision like that would force every player to work their way through the not-so-great episodes before they get to the ones that the developers feel are of a professional quality (their words, not mine). That's not a player journey that makes a lot of sense, and the drop off rate of player retention might have significant consequences.

(...)

Thanks Blind Sparrow Interactive
I'm very agree with what you said there. We actually thought about that, but your words helped me to make the decision. So we will try. I will post  something about that in 5 minutes. The challenge is how to succeed on that with the limited resources...but we might take the challenge. Thanks

2019-02-05 18:16:03 (edited by david_oliva 2019-02-05 19:57:27)

Hi

thanks for the feedback. We love it, the good and the bad.

We have actually started to work on an update version to fix some of the bugs we have found so far. Some of the issues you have been appointing will be repaired.

However, if you ask me, I would do the whole episode 1 again from the beginning, to a much better. And maybe we have time to do that before the second episode is released. So if everything goes well, expect an update version within two weeks to fix some bugs (so perhaps changes are not noticeable to players that didn't suffer problems), and perhaps an improved first episode to be released before the next episode is launched (but that can't be promise yet). The expected release date for episode 2 is 30th April .

Regards
david

2019-02-05 23:09:11

My thought is only this. the hole can I touch your face thing is well, not really a bad thing, and besides, at least he didn't cop a feel,and the only negative  thing i have i think is more of a bug. I'm playing on an ipod 6th gen, and when I try to swipe down, a lot of the times it puts me in to the notification center. but dudes, and dudettes, i mean is all the negativity really necessary for something we as a community didn't have  to  pay for?

Blindness isn't a disability, but a diffrent way of seeing things

2019-02-05 23:10:00 (edited by seb 2019-02-05 23:13:56)

After listening to Liam's stream this afternoon, I first want to congradulate the devs for this game and the fact that they are open to fixing bugs is a good thing. I can't stop myself from posting this though. I'm getting slightly annoyed with the fact that the main character is blind. I understand that this is part of the story, but to me at least this is getting old. Also, please, please remove the part where the guy is touching the girl's face. This is a big no no for me and I'm not going to add more about this, but it needs to be removed. Other than that the concept is pretty need and I wish you guys good luck with this project moving forward.

2019-02-05 23:44:28

A follow up to my earlier post. As a blind person I don't go around feeling faces, personally being asked if I want to feel someone's face ticks me off to no end, however this is a game, not our personal lives, and it's being worked on for future episodes so, aren't we just making a mountain out of a molehill?

Blindness isn't a disability, but a diffrent way of seeing things

2019-02-05 23:52:23

Hi MyTrueSound-Team,

David mentioned something about improving the current episode before releasing the next one. Actually I think thats a good idea.
But I don't think you necessarily need to rewrite the whole thing. The only real problem I see that could put off lots of potential buyers is the voice acting quality. In a this heavily story driven game you mostly want to have some crunchy and immersive dialogues. The recording quality however isn't to good and the actual acting could have some more life put into.
I have no real idea of game development but I believe this would be the highest quality improvement with the least ammount of work put into. That is if you manage to find some better recording gear or some actors who already have it. Maybe you could crunch some numbers what it would cost you if you revoiced the whole stuff. Maybe its worth it if you consider higher revenues for higher future sales...
Don't get me wrong here, I don't want to beat a dead horse here in saying "this is bad", I want to point out what I think could be most benefitial if you improve it.

However you decide though I wish you the best of luck and motivation for the upcoming time!

2019-02-05 23:59:46 (edited by Honk 2019-02-06 00:02:41)

Another thought that came in mind is this idea:

Often enough it happens that we don't like the behaviour of certain characters at the beginning of a story. There could be a character development for some or all of the characters that deals with the issues we had about the whole blindness and face-touching thing. So instead of making it a problem we have with the script it could be a problem the characters have _in_ the script.
Maybe they reflect on what they were doing and saying in the first episode. Maybe they still need to find the right approach to this delicate topic. Or maybe they don't but you as a gamer get the opportunity to do. This however would need this issue to come up again and again throu the whole adventure instead of leaving it behind after the first episode.
I actually would love this to happen. It could be a really interessting study about blindness and the different approaches. But I doubt this is what the developers wanted to have their game to be big_smile

2019-02-06 00:30:54

Yeah the voice acting sounds dead to me, like there is no life there, just people reading lines, not acting them. I understand getting quality work for low or no cost is challenging, but consider that the first episode, especially being free as it is, is sort of an impression of things to come. Now, personally, I am torn between whether I want to buy the next one when it comes out, because there were so many things about the first one that annoyed me. I'm thinking I might, just for curiosity's sake, but really, there's not a lot in the first episode to convince me to buy the second. I didn't play through it all, but I heard Liam's stream this afternoon, and while he did a good job of showing off the good qualities, frankly, the game leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion.

Still, I don't want to beat a dead horse, and I do see hope that things can improve, so while I am skeptical - which is my nature - I am still a bit optimistic.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-02-10 00:32:50

Hi
Guys, please, explain to me how to play the mini-game?

let's rock!

2019-02-10 12:37:24 (edited by Cornettoking 2019-02-10 12:45:31)

Hello,
@74: use the tilt Feature of your device and listen for the clicking Sound. The faster it is, the closer you are to the correct number.
HTH.
To Honk: I think a rewrite is the best way to go for this Episode because new Players will likely judge the whole series based on this Episode. And if the Impression of this Thing is bad, those Players won't buy the rest of the episodes once they come out.
About the character development: I don't agree with that idea, because the those Topics Need to be out of this game ASAP and replaced by a good Story.

Greetings and happy gaming, Julian

If you say you never lie, you're a liar.
Oh, and #freeGCW