2010-10-31 10:50:44

I love this game as well, and really hope that it develops to become a full title.
@raygrote: Did the optimum screen resolution message appear after you'd tried out the game?
Cheers.

2010-10-31 12:48:24

Just one miner point Nicos, amo and health packs actually do make a beeping sound (go into the rest room with the surging electric sound outside the door and you'll find one).

I'm less certain of a learn game sounds feature myself, particularly as it's nice to get a surprise from the monsters, and as for building denoted by certain sounds, eg the church bell, you can just use moby to find them.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2010-10-31 17:09:51

Yes, the optimal screen resolution came up after I finishd. It said that the optimal resolution for my display device was 1280x something, I can't remember the number, but I know it's not in the resolution options in the game config window.
It doesn't seem to interfere with anything, it comes up once for every game and then everything is fine, so i'm assuming I can just let it go.
I actually figured out that beeping as for ammo and health. I think the environment is in one big circle, since every time I walk away from something, I always end up coming back to it even if I stay in one direction. At least that prevents me from walking into walls, and so I really don't need to know where I'm going, at least not yet. I wonder what will be done with that? I think the zombies and powerups should be random, since I'm always finding them at the same places.
That rain really makes it difficult to hear what I'm doing, I like it. Fortunately it doesn't last long.
I hope I'm not saying too much at once here, I knnow this is only a concept demo, but maybe when the game is released there should be difficulty levels.

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2010-10-31 17:51:53

amyway to tell how much ammo you start out with?

2010-10-31 18:24:40

I found out that you start out with 30 ammo, use poke to give yourself more if you want, remember that when you get more ammo your counter starts back at 30 also after you kill whoever is in the bathroom, there is always a helth pack, absolutely love this game!!!!!!

2010-10-31 19:59:00

hey,
just finished playing and i have to say that it has a very unique quality to it, and has a great potential.
the things i don't like are that when you move east and west you only go in circles, everything seems to be in a straight line going north to south. also, i wish there where mor than just empty space in the buildings, a bench to run in to or a overflowing sink or something to add to the chaos.
what i realy have in mind in this game is sort of from the movie zombi land, released a bout a year ago where the main character just kills zombi's and with rules.
what i'd like to see is a different weapon than the gun, maybe you'd start out with a maasheddy instead of a gun but it would take like two hits to kill, atleast till you found the gun and i also think the gun should be more realistic sounding as someone posted abuv. i also think there should be obsticales other than the zombi's, fences pits traps and so on, so your not just mindlessly killing.
but what you have is pretty amazing i must admit, the zombi sounds are very well done! and just in time for halloween lol!
austen

don't look back, cause you'll loose the road ahead.

2010-10-31 20:08:01

And in the church i believe there is a zombie guarding ammmo. I hardly ever get it without him hurting me in the process. I think the buildings should be bigger since they sound bigger than they really are. I love the reverb on the different locations. The swamp is my favorite except for the extremely loud background.
Anyone know anything about the different types of zombies? I noticed some drag chains, some don't, some hit harder, some are very quiet until they scare the living daylights out of you and start attacking you.

2010-11-01 13:51:14

Well I  finally got the game to work after disabling norton anti virous audo protect. Thanks to all that helped me.

Audio game king

2010-11-01 19:59:38

lad you got it to work.  Kill norton and use AVG instead, personal oppinion only!!!g

2010-11-01 20:19:20

Their are two anti virous programs on my computer. I  have norton and  Avast as well. I  like avast accessibility wise. So I  am seriously  considering your idea of getting rid of Norton.
I  don't want to have to spend time trying to figure out why a  game doesn't work, and redownloading it  a  bunch of times, only to find out it was because of an anti-virous program.

Audio game king

2010-11-01 21:49:17

Love love love this infant-game. Would like the interface to be a bit more responsive, perhaps with variable walking speeds. I also like the idea of different weapons, maybe a knife or two, different types of guns, maybe even a chain saw, some hand grenades and some RPGs. Perhaps different kinds or difficulties of undead would vary gameplay a little also. I'm thinking something like Resident Evil here with Plagas and tyrants and so on. The environment seems to be something like a side scroller but forward instead of sideways. I've encountered this type of thing before, and have to say I get bored with it rather quickly. Maybe in the end it'll be 3d, something like Shades of Doom. Not a patch on the visual game, I'm told, but still very fun. Build on to the environment with a few more locations to explore, a few more items to find, perhaps some friends to encounter to help you on your presumed quest to destroy the undead, and maybe even a human villain or two, and it'll be a smash hit. I'm assuming it will be a smash hit with more time and development. Very nice already, and a very good soundscape. The zombies scared me right out of my pants. Yikes!!

People are always yelling at me for having my head in the clouds, but it's cool and peaceful up there, and there are always interesting shapes to see.

2010-11-01 22:01:29

Hmm, two antivirus programs on one system is generally not a good thing.
I like the idea of RPG features!

2010-11-02 03:41:23

How about landmines because I like to hear the undead scream in pain!!!!!!!!!

2010-11-02 23:27:13

love the ambience, footsteps coul be a bit louder  in the outside, but, looks very promising, also, you definitely need another gun sound!

2010-11-03 01:42:27

Wp85: Are you using windows 7? I'm asking this because I can't extract thed folder either and I could do it on my xp machine.

I live to crochet!

2010-11-03 18:27:08

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the feedback. Keep 'm coming!

Greets,

Richard

2010-11-04 01:25:07

I'm having a lot of trouble extracting the archive. I've download it several times with two different programs (safari and wget). Each archive gives me different errors. Most common it can't extract extant.app/contents/.../libmono.0.dylib or something like that. Just recently the unarchiver told me that I couldn't extract extent-demo-mac.zip with this program. Is there another place to get the archive?

James

2010-11-04 02:39:36

I've managed to download the archive on another computer. I copied it to my mac. I run the app and it crashes with an error. I opened it interminal and here's the error that came up:

exit;
dyld: bad local relocation length
Trace/BPT trap

James

2010-11-04 20:46:45 (edited by sabrina 2010-11-04 20:51:14)

Hi! I noticed another difference. On the PC with Windows XP I was using Firefox, but on Windows 7 I used Internet Explorer 8. I tried downloading it with firefox and it actually worked! For some reason it can't be extracted if you download it with Internet explorer. Well, my theory at least. Oddly enough the Machintosh version worked on both Internet Explorer and Firefox.

I live to crochet!

2010-11-05 17:18:34

Hi.
I've just tried it on my Mac which works fine here. I downloaded the file using Safari, and extracted the file using The Unarchiver. I have the latest updates.
I don't really understand the map. It seems like I'm just walking around in circles, but anyway I really like the game and I can't wait to see the next release.
I noticed a really cool feature, but I'm not sure if it's a feature in the game or just my ears which played me a trick: I was out of amo and I got chased by a zombie. I ran for my life and I came to a place where it rained. I don't remember if it was the garden. Suddently I heard a scream and the zombie got killed. I didn't noticed what happened, but sounds like the zombies don't like water, Lol.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2010-11-05 21:26:23

I downloaded and extracted running Windows 7 32 bit and firefox 3.6. It worked just fine. Also, landmines sound very neat.

People are always yelling at me for having my head in the clouds, but it's cool and peaceful up there, and there are always interesting shapes to see.

2010-11-06 17:08:40

Hi,
Just out of interest, what do you guys (Richard and Sander, that is), have planed for future versions?
Cheers.

2010-11-18 17:54:20

Okay. This demo shows me one important thing, If someone wants, can do a great audio game, with great engine and ecellent sounds, and effects. For every developer, this is good example for you how the game must looks. This is first FPS game wich is totally understandable for me and totally fantastic. Amazing sound effects, backgrounds, and voices. Guys, keep developing it, this is the really suprising project, and more projects like this one.

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2011-03-26 06:31:45

hi sendermen. are there any new version of extant?

going in to the wilds, collecting pokedex, and capturing them are my kind of thing,
training them, making them evolve, and generally making them stronger is my ultimate goal,
fighting other manamon tamers, winning the tournament, and fighting octoros are what these manamons like to do,
and ultimately, I become the master of mana!

2011-05-07 22:59:28

hi,
very sorry for reserecting but does anyone know if there is any news on extant?
Thanks,

Daniel