2019-01-28 19:38:00

Hi everyone.

Just wanted to let you all know the fourth video in the series is now available,  the video shows enemy creation and a basic battle and the link to the video is below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdZaq16uX9Q

The Ebon Sky Studios Team
email: [email protected]
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/ebonskystudios/
Twitter: @ebonskystudios

2019-01-29 18:22:35

Just one small question. In the creation of the wolf, you set it to give 20 experience, though when you defeated it it only gave 5. Does this mean experience is split between party members? Also, a way to have split vs non split experience would be cool, as I'm not a huge fan of splitting experience personally, though that's just a small nitpick. This is looking better and better.

Take care, it's a desert out there.

2019-01-29 21:37:17

Hi,

@number 77, thanks for the interest in the project. Regarding experience , yes it is currently set to automatically divide any given experience between the active party members. I’ve seen both systems of distributing experience in different games, both with advantages and disadvantages. Although I can’t promise anything, the suggestion of an option to select which type is used is a good suggestion. Again, thanks for the interest in the project and really pleased you’ve enjoyed the videos so far.

2019-01-29 21:38:46

Wow... I already see myself making awesome rpg's out of this...

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2019-01-29 22:10:56 (edited by ambro86 2019-01-29 22:11:25)

Hi Lemm, thanks for your excellent job. I would ask if with this engine  is possible to add traps in the maps, like holes or ravines, that the player has to jump?

2019-01-29 23:12:11

S few questions. Is it possible to select an area of the map for the enemy band gto affect, example I want to have guards only be incountered on a certain part of a dungion. Second, will it be possible to make weapons have their own type of ammunation? Third, will you be able to make shops that you could select what items you want people to be able to buy? Fourth, will it be possible to make it so a player has to do something to be able to go to the next map, example, you have to defeat a goblin boss in order to get a key, thwemn you have to go to an adventurer and  tell him you found the key, then it would play a cut scene of the party leaving that area, or as an example with A Hero's call, you can't go into the forrest until yopu complete a certain quest.

Power is not the responsibility of freedom, but it is actually the responsibility of being responsible, it's self, because someone who is irresponsible is enslaved by their own weaknesses.

2019-01-30 01:05:07

I watched all four videos, it's may be a greate tool for those, who don't have a programming experiance, but have many greate ideas to realise. If people will be able to translate game menus and basic game elements to other languages, it'll be cool. Keep up the good work.

2019-01-30 10:03:01

ambro86 wrote:

Hi Lemm, thanks for your excellent job. I would ask if with this engine  is possible to add traps in the maps, like holes or ravines, that the player has to jump?

I should point out that games without a jump feature have done something like this through a levitation status effect. Ex: Gauntlet 4/Legends. So even if the realtime jumping thing doesn't jive well with the engine, traps that behave differently based on status effects could accomplish something similar, if those are/can be supported.
This could make for some complex maps, based on the arrangement of tiles, and possibly status effects they could apply when touched. It really depends on how complex the trap/status interactions can be.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2019-01-30 21:42:55

Hi Everyone,

As ever huge thanks for all the interest and positive  feedback, I’ll try to answer a few of the questions/comments below:

@ number 79, thanks for the continued support and praise of the project, it’s really great to see people like yourself and others so excited about making their own games  using sable.
@number 80,  and number 83, traps  can work really well in an RPG,  and  a well thought out system can definitely add some really interesting mechanics to a game. we’ve played around with a couple of prototype  systems for traps, but at this stage can’t say whether they will make it into the final release or not, so can’t really give any details on them at the moment. We didn’t build a  feature for adding jumping over pits into sable, however despite this I’ve actually still seen test maps made where people have still managed to add chasms/pits to jump over to their maps using just the existing sable functions  . Personally I love to see this, where people really think outside the box and use their creative skills to find ways in which to utilise the tools of the engine for creating stuff above and beyond what those tools were originally designed  for , I know we’re all really looking forward to seeing just how creatively people manage to use sable in their own games.
@number 81, I’ll try and answer some of your questions below:
-if you wanted to specify a specific part of a dungeon for certain enemies to appear in, you could simply add the floor terrains of that particular area slightly different to the rest of the dungeon and then assign enemies for that particular floor/terrain type, this way you would only encounter those enemies in that specific area of the dungeon.
-regarding ammunition this is something we’ve discussed, however this isn’t in the current version, whether it makes it into the later versions we will have to wait and see.
-regarding shops, its possible to create a merchant, they work similar to NPCS in that you can  talk to them, you can give them either TTS speech or pre recorded voice lines, but you can also select items they will sell. A feature I really like with merchants, is that you can set their greed level, you set this as a percentage and lets say you set it at 25% it means they will sell everything for 25% more than its actual worth, also they will then offer you 25% less than an items actual value if you try and sell them stuff.
-regarding  your question about traveling from one map to another yes this can be done and you can set it so that this can only be done after certain tasks or quests are complete. I’ll demonstrate how this can be done in one of the future videos. .

Again, Thanks to everyone so far who’s watched the videos, we’re really  pleased to see so many people enjoying the video series

2019-01-31 03:23:03

so, will you be able to make it so when you die the player has to go back to a certain point, or will they have to start over from the begining, also, will you be able to make certain skills unavailable until a certain level, next, will you be able to make people join your party, as an example you rescue someone so they join  you.

Power is not the responsibility of freedom, but it is actually the responsibility of being responsible, it's self, because someone who is irresponsible is enslaved by their own weaknesses.

2019-01-31 11:56:07

Are we able to create underground style maps?

Bitcoin Address:
1MeNca7h6m8du4TV3psN4m4X666p6Y36u5m

2019-01-31 20:01:38

Hi Everyone,

@number 85, I’ll try to answer your questions below:
-when all party members die it would end the game, but the player will be able to reload from their last save point
-with abilities and skills, when you create them you can specify at what level a character will learn that skill
-at present the party size is determined at the start of the game, so you can’t pick up new party members throughout the game. However, remember  that sable is still in its prototype stage , so that’s not to say such a mechanic won’t make it into the final release, but as we’ve mentioned previously we are weary of over promising or committing ourselves to anything which isn’t already in Sable, so this is one of those areas where we will have to wait and see.
@number 86, when you say underground maps, do you mean dungeon style maps with lots of corridors and passageways leading off into small rooms or caverns etc. if so yes it does, I was probably going to show this  off in the next video along with how to link two different maps together.

2019-01-31 20:15:37

hi lemm
sorry but I don't stand you creat audio game?

2019-01-31 23:35:09

hello @lemm!
I just checked out all of your videos, the project seems very very awesome, keep up the good work, best of luck to you!
I have a question: what will be an approximate price to buy sable?

2019-02-01 02:19:33

Oh man, yeah, I seriously hope you can get new party members later, the pre determined party size thing is honestly a huge turn off to me, and completely counter productive to the kinds of games I want to make. That being said, I'm definitely impressed with what I've seen so far.

Take care, it's a desert out there.

2019-02-01 09:25:18

Is it the kind of predetermined where you have to set the max at initialization, but don't have to have the max at all times?

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2019-02-01 14:21:29

Hi Everyone

As ever thanks for all the positive  feedback, I’ll try and answer some more of the questions below:

A couple of people have mentioned party size, so although in the current version of sable party size is set,, we totally appreciate as a set of development tools people would want more options than this for their own games. As mentioned Sable is just in its prototype stage  and at the moment our focus is on our first game title ‘crimson eclipse’. We still have a lot of ideas and features we want to add into sable before its release  and how party size is managed is one of those areas, don’t worry we have lots of creative ideas in mind for how these systems will work, but since they are not yet in the current version of sable I just can’t go into any real details about them .  as mentioned previously we are weary of sharing future development ideas and features which  haven’t yet made it into sable, , as sometimes plans do change and we don’t want to promise something that then for whatever reason doesn’t make it into the final release. So although I can’t promise anything specific on party size I can definitely say there will be more options added in this particular area before release  and yes both picking up extra party members in game and also managing party size  in game too   are all things we are discussing.
-@number 88. No, this isn’t an audio game, this is a video series which demonstrates our development tools called Sable, which allow people to create their own RPG games  but without any need for any coding or scripting. Sable isn’t yet ready for release , so this is just really a look at how Sable works.
@number  89, thanks for the interest  in the project, , it’s just a little too early at this stage to give any specific details around the cost of sable, since these things just haven’t been finalized yet as at present all our primary focus is on our first game title , which will hopefully give everyone a better idea of what sable is capable of.

2019-02-01 16:31:09

will you need sable to play  your first game, and also, will you be only using sable to make  your game or will you guys actually put some code in there to add features you couldn't otherwise add without coding them?

2019-02-01 23:46:13

Looking forward to the next sable video, keep up the great work!

Feel free to follow me on Twitter @thecoolgamer4 and subscribe to my Youtube channel

2019-02-03 22:31:58

Hi,

@number 93. Regarding our first game title ‘crimson Eclipse’, this will work like an independent game, so you won’t need to install sable to run it. Regarding Coding, Crimson eclipse will be created solely using Sable, this will then give people a chance to see first hand what can be created using Sable.   The video series itself is just meant to be a brief overview of how games are created using Sable, hopefully Crimson Eclipse  will  also answer more questions about how certain features and mechanics will work in a game created using Sable.
@ number 94, thanks for the continued support and positive feedback, we’re really pleased you’ve enjoyed all the videos so far.

2019-02-04 01:25:10

So, does that mean we will be able to compile our own games into separate applications?

2019-02-04 02:32:45

Hi,

@ number 96, since Sable is just in its prototype stage it’s  a little too early to confirm details on compiling/packaging and such like, these kind of finer points will be  detailed more nearer to the release of Sable, as mentioned previously the video series is more just meant as an overview of how Sable works rather than  a complete guide of all its features and functions, as there’s still stuff we want to add before its final release and our main focus at present is our first game title.

2019-02-04 23:53:21

Hello there!
First of all, I'd like to say that I'm really interested by this project, cause I don't know a single thing regarding programation or coding. So a tool like that will be very helpful!
I've some questions though.
1 You've said that it's possible to set a skill so it unlocks when your character reaches a certain level. But could it be dependant of other things? For exemple, you can improve your statistics, and a certain skill can be learned when your dexterity reaches a certain value?
2 That leads to my second question, is it possible to alocate some points when you level up, and does this engine allow us to build a stat system?
3 Maybe this has already been answered previously, but is it possible to create maps with paths that cannot be accessed until the player made something specific, for exemple activate a lever?
That's all for now, keep up the good work guys and good luck for the project!

best regards,

Rubyel

2019-02-06 11:42:06

Hi,

@number 98, thanks for the interest in the project, I’ll try and answer your questions below:
-regarding your stat  and skills questions,  so players stats can increase with players level and at present they can only learn new skills/abilities when levelling up.  We have discussed various other methods for learning new  skills and abilities, but since these aren’t confirmed yet we will have to wait and see whether they make it into the release version of Sable.
yes, sable can have certain areas inaccessible  until the player has done certain things, like complete a task/quest which would then open that area . However there isn’t the specific option for pulling a lever to access an area, but it’s a good suggestion.

Again  thanks for the interest and hope you enjoy the rest of the videos in the series.

2019-02-06 15:38:33

100. the 100th post, and I get to make it. lol. hear's a question about the menus will you be able to use first letter navigation, and is there a menu containing all of the other menus?

Blindness isn't a disability, but a diffrent way of seeing things