2019-01-23 23:54:17

I want to make a sound base game that is accessible to all, but I have little to no understanding of coding. Can anyone give me good places or ways to learn so I can start learning?

2019-01-24 03:18:03

This is quite a broad and sweeping question.
There are a lot of guides on the internet which are geared towards beginner programmers. They will seem incredibly intimidating at first but once you get the basics down you'll be able to read material online and find that it makes a lot more sense.
If you can find someone who is willing to mentor you at first, you're going to find that very helpful as it'll allow you to ask questions when you don't understand things.
I'm sure you've heard of BGT; it's a tool for programming audio games. While it might not be the most current technology anymore, it's a great place to start. It's packed full of documentation designed for people who have never written a line of code in their lives. Also, since it's designed specifically for the purpose of game development, you'll be able to do key tasks fairly quickly, which should help with motivation.
There are resources online like code academy, which will give you specific exercises to help you learn programming concepts.
It's a long rode no matter who you are. The best advice I can give is never bite off more than you can chew. Don't start with a big RPG or first person shooter, it's just not realistic and you'll get frustrated. Learn the basics, try simple exercises or make up your own to build up your skill, then strive for something more ambitious.
Something like Rock Paper Scissors might be a good goal for your first few days/weeks. Then maybe you work your way up to something a little bit more complicated (a simple battleship game?) and then go from there.
Keep in mind that game development is not just about coding, and if you plan to sell your game it might be worth paying someone to do things you don't have the nohow to do. You may have all of the following to worry about: programming, sound design, writing, music and voice acting.
I wish you well. It's not an easy rode, but it's well worth the effort.

Official server host for vgstorm.com and developer of the Manamon 2 netplay server.
PSA: sending unsolicited PMs or emails to people you don't know asking them to buy you stuff is disrespectful. You'll just be ignored, so don't waste your time.

2019-01-24 07:36:29

Well, depending on what you hope to accomplish, the first thing would be to pick a programming language, which depending on who you ask can get you a different answer based on their indivisual preferences. Its important to keep in mind that what language you choose initially doesn't really matter, as all languages share certain similarities, so learning one language makes learning others easier.

For what its worth I would recommend starting with Python, as its versatile, easy to use, has lots of documentation, and there are plenty of people around who have experience with it who can answer any questions you may have. The first step would be to download and install [Python], and check out books like [Dive Into Python], [How To Think Like A Computer Scientist], or the [Python Practice Book].

If you have any questions or problems, feel free to ask.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2019-01-24 07:52:16

It's gonna be rough. BGT has a well written manual, a very well written one in fact, and still, people have loads of questions. I think depending on what you do, BGT could be OK, but still, its really out of date, and suffers problems whereupon, windows defender thinks games compiled using it are viruses, when in fact, they are not. BGT certainly does take away all the need for dependencies, finding libraries, and stuff like that, but maybe just jump right into the deep end and start with Python. You could learn stuff in Python that's not game related at first. I think people tend to want to skip the fundamentals, siting that reversing, sorting, splicing, and basically rekajiggering arrays 6 ways from sunday is boring. Well sure it is, but its a necessary step. So learn the stuff you don't want to learn, is my advice.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-01-24 08:28:02

Hey guys, where can i get the documentation regarding BGT?
I wanna learn in fact. i have some knowledge about html and right now i am learning python.

Thanks and regards.
Madhusudan
Visit my youtube channel to dive into accessible tech tutorial.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvVJNv … 9wXunGvl9A

2019-01-25 18:36:07

The help file is in the program folder. BGT help in the programs menu.
Or press Windows and start typing but help and it'll probably come up.

Official server host for vgstorm.com and developer of the Manamon 2 netplay server.
PSA: sending unsolicited PMs or emails to people you don't know asking them to buy you stuff is disrespectful. You'll just be ignored, so don't waste your time.

2019-01-25 18:43:31

That, or run bgt.chm in c:\ProgramFiles(x86)\bgt.

2019-01-26 22:11:32

all right, this is my opinion, all right, so you may want to learn bgt for audio game development, but it is a bit of a waste of time, it is very limmited, i'd reckommend learning a language like python or c if you feel like it, but that's just my opinion

My main interest is tech.
Follow me on twitter if you would like, my username is @stealthy153

2019-01-29 02:05:23

I haven't worked much with Python, but how do people not get frustrated with the syntax?
I would much, much rather count open and close braces while investigating a block related bug than have to make sure every single line has the correct number of tabs.

2019-01-29 03:02:13

post 9, yeah, that would be an issue, if only NVDA didn’t have the report indention levels setting in preferences.