2019-01-26 19:56:48

Yes, though I haven't got the add-on myself. It's apparently got several improvements, though some of them are literally graphs, and thus of questionable use to us.

2019-01-26 20:39:59

shame i'm not going to be here to see your live stream. so for the benifit of the likes of myself who have played the game how far have you actually got in it so far? what have you done? have you reached the point where you can purchase factories? laser towers? what about placing said towers?

2019-01-26 21:07:32

Hi,

I admittedly haven't got very far. Mostly, I've been focusing on learning the mechanics of controlling ships, remotely and otherwise, figuring out how to navigate all he game's various screens, some of which can be kind of confusing, and learning the scripting language, which is difficult because there aren't all that many good tutorial introductions.

I've managed to get into combat and blow up a couple pirates, and do some trading, but that's about the extent of it. At the moment I'm trying to get my trade prices script working reliably, and then will hopefully be able to stream and actually demonstrate some of this stuff.

2019-01-26 21:31:00

so are you still streaming tonight?

2019-01-26 21:34:36

YEah, I'm planning to. RIght now something is not working right and I'm 98% sure I can figure it out. EVen if I can't, I can still stream.

2019-01-26 22:58:52

Hi.
So, I got the game now as well, thank god that took a while.

does asomeone know by accident how I can change the computers voice from english to german? I haven't found something like an options menu till now.

Also, when I go into the trade menu at a station and hit u on an item, the computer reads the describtion of the item but then suddenly stops and just breaks up.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2019-01-27 00:02:34

Hey,

you should be able to go into options and basically set the computer to be verbose, I think it’s at the bottom or very close to it in the audio options. It will read the descriptions automatically. I do not know how the language selection works, since I don’t speak any other languages that the game supports as far as I’m aware.

So  I just had a less than successful stream, but at least I did not crash. I feel like I am very close to success, if only I can get the scripting to work reliably.

2019-01-27 00:26:51

Hi.

Hmm ok, I will see if I can find any patch files or versions which have the german computer translation.

Is the script reliability a matter of trial and error or downright hopeless?
I hope we can still get the support from the comunity.

Will we get an archive of the stream? I couldn't watch it sadly.

Greetings Moritz.

2019-01-27 00:58:52

well i certainly hope that you have some real success with this. i'll be interested to see just how far you get. i really do have all my fingers crossed for this.

2019-01-27 01:03:27

Yeah, you and me both. I feel like I am 98% there, it’s just getting past the 2% that’s hard.

I will publish the stream to YouTube tonight, for what it’s worth. It basically covers the same ground as the first time around, slightly longer length, because I was trying to get the script going. I think that I am just doing something wrong, or misunderstanding, hopefully.  This game definitely requires patience, but it also requires patience from the cited players, just of a different sort. :-)

2019-01-27 01:18:52

Hi.
Yeah, but I hope when we passed all the stepping stones that there are that this one can be an enjoyable experience for all of us, or at leased for those who don't mind a bit of setting up.

Greetings Moritz.

2019-01-27 02:26:10

Okay! smile

I finally figured out why the scripts weren't working in a new game. Basically, when you start a new game the game assumes you aren't going to be doing script development, so won't run scripts which aren't signed. IF you enable the script editor and reload the save, it will run unsigned scripts.

So the problem was that everyone assumed I was using the script editor built-in to the game. There are a few solutions, including using a third-party plugin manager to mark your game as "modified."

In short, I now know what the problem was. I kind of feel like the stream I did this afternoon is therefore not worth uploading, as I spent so much time wrestling with the scripts and not enough time actually doing anything.

That being said, I want to do a new one as soon as possible. I'll aim for Monday at 1 PM again, just for consistency. This gives me time to refine the script more and hopefully get things going, now I know what was going wrong.

2019-01-27 13:06:35

so when the script is working properly what do you expect it to do and how would a person access the script by that i mean how would they actually use it. what aspects does this script cover? if it's only for 1 screen then could said script be reproduced for different screens?

2019-01-27 13:09:51

actually zac i was going to ask you do you want me to invite egosoft to watch this stream? i assume it will be visual as well as audio? if so then could you give me a time you're willing to commit too and an address to point them to the stream?

2019-01-27 13:32:38

At the moment, what the script does is handle a specific area of the game that is difficult to process otherwise.  When you dock at a station, it sends the trade goods and current prices to a log file. I’ve also added a credit balance indication, so you know how much money you’re working with when you arrive. This is all handled automatically,  or you can trigger it with a hot key when you’re flying in space, to simulate being able to connect to a station without actually having to be there.  This is a small change, but there was  no way to read the trade prices with OCR,  so all you have to do is go to the created log file and do so. It clears automatically whenever you arrive at a new station.

I’m planning to stream tomorrow, the 28th,  I can do 10 AM Pacific, if that is easier for people on the other side of the Atlantic to watch. Really though, I could commit to almost anytime, as long it was it super early, at least in the next few days.  Once I get family arriving back at the house, that will be a little different.

2019-01-27 14:03:07

Hi.
Well if Egosoft wants to join the stream, don't forget to give them the correct times, i don't know where you are in the states and how far you are behind German time, but you should keep that in mind.

I don't know if I am able to join the stream tomorrow, i hope you will archive that one again?
I also found a way that you can change the music levels, in the main menu go down completely and one up again to options, then to audio and lower the music volume, it was really an issue in last stream on Thursday.

Greetings Moritz.

2019-01-27 14:13:41

Hi,

Yeah, I adjusted the music for my second, ill-fated one and will run with lower volumes in general for the next one. In the interests of committing to a time that's easier to work with, I'll stream tomorrow morning my time, 10 AM PST, 7 PM in Germany.

I will definitely archive and upload tomorrow's. It's going to have more actual game play than yesterday's, because I have a working script and can read trade stuff without going insane. smile

2019-01-27 14:22:38

ok so what address will the stream be at do you know?

2019-01-27 14:24:52

YEah. My Twitch channel is www.twitch.tv/BlindGuyNW.

I'll also upload it to Youtube when it's done and will give that address when I can.

I could theoretically stream to another platform, since Twitch isn't the best accessibility-wise, but I did Twitch for the first one and it seemed to work out okay.

2019-01-27 14:26:04

Sounds good.
7pm is a nice time, in general, mostly you will catch people here between 7 and 9 PM. gotta ask Bernd though if he is free and wants to give it a listen.
I am looking forward to the stream.

I am curious though, what are other errias of the game where we would need scripting?
I suppose EVA activitys and fighting in general could be problematic.

Greetings Moritz.

2019-01-27 14:44:03 (edited by zkline 2019-01-27 14:44:44)

Yeah, EVA is harder, though there are a few work-arounds for that. Fighting is not too bad with a few ship upgrades, though I don't really like doing it by hand, for obvious reasons. Of course, one could argue that it's a good idea to get all the advantages before even thinking of getting into combat. I wouldn't want to try fighting in my Mercury cargo ship, it's way too slow.

I'm looking forward to sharing this with everybody.

2019-01-27 15:41:30

no don't fight in a merc. you will likely be smacked. even with 25mw shields. get the argon m3's for that. even so you could do with a wingman when using the transport. the m3's can use hornet missiles so load them up with those and AHEPT's. increase speed and rudder optimisation to full.

2019-01-27 15:53:34

ok i'm going to send Berned the address for twitch and i'll say that you are going to be streaming at 7:00PM German time.

2019-01-27 16:03:55

Perfect, and thank you for the advice. 7 PM tomorrow,  January 28. I will take some time today to refine the scripts as much as I can in the meanwhile.

2019-01-27 16:18:27

cool. email sent. as to whether anybody turns up we'll see. hopefully they will. it is in their best interest.