2019-01-22 18:09:20

It's there! Can't believe it passed in the first round, haha. Thank you all for the testing and giving feedback.

Download it from the App store here: https://itunes.apple.com/app/path-of-ad … 1449457468

Ps. I noticed the purchase pop-up from Apple is incredibly slow. I don't know if it was just my phone, but if you experience the same, just be patient and it will appear, eventually.

Developer of text-based roguelike Path of Adventure.
Get it on Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta … fadventure
Download from the App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/app/path-of-ad … 1449457468

2019-01-22 18:13:55

Woo! Congrats!

2019-01-22 18:21:54

great, hope to try it soon.

2019-01-22 18:31:08

Hurrah! I've just downloaded it and bought the full version.

One rather odd thing, is that it didn't show up when I did a search, I had to open ~Safari and find this link, that was a bit strange.

Btw, Kenshira could you please edit the first post to say the game is out on Ios?

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-01-22 18:35:42

Done! Hope you guys enjoy this as much as I have.

2019-01-22 18:43:57 (edited by Keeweed 2019-01-22 18:45:21)

@54, that's because it's still warm, haha. Those search algorithms need a bit of time to pick it up. Also, the more downloads and ratings, the more it bubbles up. So yeah... ratings are super important. Just saying... smile

@55, thanks!

Download from the App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/app/path-of-ad … 1449457468

2019-01-22 18:57:57

Hi.
I know the game says text based, but I was wondering is there any sounds at all in it?
If there is, then I'm deffo trying this out, as I love games with upgrades, especially RPGS with nice sounds for weapons ETC smile

Though our eyes may fail, our ears prevail!
User Karma, every little helps

2019-01-22 20:44:56

@Keeweed, rating already given. I've died twice but the game is awesome and I'm still working out how the mechanics work plus of course there will always be the whims of the god of random numbers big_smile.

I will say I'm not sure about the purchice to carry on post death since the price seems relatively high to say you could die soon afterwards as compared to buying the full game, then again I admit I'm always a bit suspicious of in ap purchices of consumables rather than permenant upgrades, and I'd definitely be up for buying extra characters, items or game expantions in the future.

@Saiyan, the game doesn't have sound, but its a really quite cool text rpg carrying on the tradition of great text rpgs on Ios such as A dark room, King of dragon pass and Nano empire, highly worth trying if you like old school dungeoning.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-01-22 22:23:36

@57, Dark is right, no audio at the moment. It's one of the thousand things I would still love to add.

@58, thanks a lot! The resurrect purchase is there mostly for the people that just want to reach the end or unlock another character. You don't have to use it, of course. And I would have made it cheaper if I could, but Apple only lets me pick whole prices, starting with 1$. Except for certain countries.

2019-01-23 00:48:55

Hi,
I can't unlock the full version. Do I have to play through the tutorial first? I am using an iPhone SE, and the unlock button is there but when I click it, I waited for around 30 seconds and nothing happened. The options button is on the bottom left, the unlock button is on the bottom right. Am I supposed to tap the unlock button twice to get the purchase dialogue to come up, because at the moment, it's just sitting in the main menu no matter what I do. I can start a new game but I'd rather unlock the full version first before diving in.

2019-01-23 00:55:35

I unlocked mine part way through the option presented in easy mode, which is the first thing available to play eben in the full bersion.

2019-01-23 01:13:21

I think the main menu unlock option might be bugged. I've completely finished the tutorial and can't unlock the game even when it says finished. I don't mind having a go at the easy game, but I'd much rather get the unlock option out of the way first. Oh well, I'll try to see if the easy game will then let me unlock it.

2019-01-23 08:34:02

Hi.
I'm geting a new iPhone but now...
I played the Android version and bought the full game. It's great, I like the way the game it's played. I love the text games, and it makes me learn more englis because it isn't my primary language.
Keep up the good work!

I am a gamer from the begining of my life, and that will not change :p

2019-01-23 08:40:36

@Aaron I bought the game straight off on my Iphone 8 and it worked fine, but obviously if there is a bug that would be a problem.
@Keeweed understandable about the resurrect, its actually 49 p over here in Britain which is fairly cheap in and of itself, it just worries me in terms of games asking other prices.

Well I got to pprogress 47 that time. I love all the different items and the need to manage what your doing. One thing I've not worked out so far is whether you need to put all your growth into the stat that the bos monster uses, or whether you can spare for other things. I've been going the hole hog so far which might be making life harder than it needs to be.

It would also be nice if there was an indicator when your weapon was on its last legs, perhaps a warning the round before so you had time to flee? That was what killed me, my tower shield busting at the wrong time. Oh and I was rather amused when apparently I trod on the toes of a King Cobra big_smile.

I also haven't worked out exactly how common certain items are, since right now it seems keys are really uncomon whilst torches and associated items are relatively common, then again since in my first game I was scrabbling around for a weapon, whilst in my next game I had weapons galore, I suspect its all part of the whims of the capricious God of random numbers big_smile.

2019-01-23 09:27:55

I usually focus on the stat needed for the boss without neglecting the others too much. You can see your weapon's endurance in inventory, even during combat, so I just check that every now and then, but yeah, some text indicating that an item is about to break would speed things along for sure.

2019-01-23 10:54:59

@Aaron, sorry to hear you're having trouble with the purchase. It's not necessary to first complete the trial; you should be able to unlock in the main menu at any time. You can also start a new game, and then hit the pay wall and unlock it there. I have no clue yet as why it wouldn't work. It's a normal button that should be pressed just once and which fires off an event to the OS to initiate the purchase procedure. All I can think of is, maybe your internet connection is weak, or maybe the game is not fully available in all regions. But I doubt that, really. What I'm going to do is, I will add some feedback to tell the user the button was pressed and that the game is waiting for the OS to do its magic. Then at least you know you pressed the button right.

@63, thanks! Glad you like it.

@dark thanks for the review in the store! Looks like you're getting the hang of it. I wouldn't go full in on a single stat, no matter the end boss, but would grow that stat a bit more than the others. You're right about the RNG god, I have had very different games as well. Sometimes you would never find a mushroom, but for example many spells, and another game this can be completely different. Personally, I like that.

About the breaking weapon warning... that's so stupid of me... there is a warning, but it's only visual. I'll add it to the list of other screen reader improvements that I want to do. Thanks for letting me know!

2019-01-23 11:45:01 (edited by Dark 2019-01-23 11:45:37)

Well,  Db page is done Find it here
I also submitted the game to Applevis, the Ios accessibility site as well since they didn't have it listed either.

I'm genuinely a bit confused about the sale bug, since Aaron and I are both in the UK and it  worked first time on my end. Maybe it was that I bought the game pretty much immediately as I'd started the ap since I'd already played the demo in Chrome.

As to screen reader fixes, one thing you might consider could be adding a heading or landmark to quickly skip around between sections of  inventory , or especially the actual text on the main page so you don't have to flick through all the buttons and character  info each turn.

Its possible to speed up navigation in the inventory or in combat by skipping between buttons directly, but there is nothing on the main page  get straight to the text of the new location/event.

Of course its not a major issue, its easy enough to find manually by just putting a  finger near the top of the screen, and checking stats  each turn is probably a good idea anyway big_smile.

Also, whilst I presume talkback on Android has the same facility for skipping between headings/buttonns/links/landmarks/graphics quickly as either Vo or most windows Desktop screen readers do I am not certain since I've never tried Talkback.

Well, back to it for me, hopefully this time the gods of random numbers will be a little kinder big_smile.

2019-01-23 12:11:33

Dark, thanks a lot for that write-up! It's great! And for putting it on AppleVis too.

Great suggestion about the headings. In fact, I think I'm first going to have a shot at the purchase issue, and then follow up with an accessibility update where I'll bundle all the things I've heard back from you guys.

2019-01-23 14:54:07

hi,

if i was to purchase the game would the game be bigger? it seems to me that once you've finished the path there's nothing more? from the description i've seen it sounds like it's quite a large game although having played it for a little while it sort of looks smaller than i initially thought?

2019-01-23 17:17:11 (edited by Dark 2019-01-23 17:33:32)

@darren I'm on I think my fifth attempt at finishing the game with a Rogue, and I'm still seeing stuff I haven't seen since your level of progress dictates what sorts of monsters/items/weapons show up and I still havent' finished the first path through, plus of course, matters do get annoyingly tactical later which is a hole other element to gameplay.

I will say some extra flavour text, particularly on later locations would be nice, even if traps are virtually the same, for example, maybe instead of a tunnel full of spider webs, it could be a load  animated plants or a haunted tapastry that needs burning through, and maybe instead of the snake skin it could be a tunnel full  gelatinus cubes etc, since even if their stats are stronger, it is sometimes a little disheartening to find the precise same same ruins further down the path as you found earlier on.

Then again as I said, I'm not sure how games with different characters change in terms of extra locations and so on.

I managed to get killed again by the same thing that killed me previously, actually it was quite annoying since if my greatsword had survived one more round I'd have prevailed as the enemy had just three hp left. I actually suspect that enemy is likely tougher than the boss monster.

I did spread the growth elyxas around a bit though and generally had an easier time, though as I still didn't make it to the castle I can't say whether that worked or not big_smile.

Btw, one thing which I do find odd, is mushrooms since you occasionally come upon quite a few of these, but for all intents and purposes you can only use four or five of them because the amount  life you need goes up exponentially, which is a shame when there are so many different types to play with.

I don't know if there is a mushroom use reset item in the game, but if there is I've not seen it as yet though that might be the god of random numbers having fun.

I also haven't seen any bad mushrooms as yet, all the ones I've seen have been beneficial ones which surprises me. It might be rather fun if mushroom life cost could be on a steady progression rather than an exponential one, EG one, then two, then, three and so on, but introduce harmful mushrooms into the game which  give the player a debuff as well as the life cost.

or do other sorts of mushroom show up later?

either way, annoyingly addictive game, but I will! succeed, eventually big_smile.

2019-01-23 17:31:09

Hi Darren,

well, a single playthrough doesn't take that much time, you're right with that. But two main issues in defence of the game:

1. The price:
The game actually only costs the same ammount of a fancy cup of coffee or a really poor meal. Both of which are consumed much faster than a single playthrough.
2. Replayability:
There are five difficulty settings that actually play rather differently due to loadout and stat distribution. So you have at least five playthroughs worth of content. But the inherent randomness of every single encounter causes every playthrough to feel completely unique. So you can pick it up over and over again and see whatever the gods of rng present to you this time.

I think Path of Adventure offers at least 10 hours of really fun gameplay. After that you won't encounter anything totally new and it can become a little repetetive. But considering the price thats totally fine for me.
And even after that it can be a nice device to waste some time while traveling or so because its not a to demanding game after all.

So just give it a try! Support developers who are including vi people in their projects.

2019-01-23 17:43:13

Yep and this project is also fairly new. No doubt new stuff will be added in the future.

2019-01-23 17:44:31 (edited by stewie 2019-01-23 17:48:39)

spoilers
So I'm wondering about the difficulty curve. I had pretty much no trouble on easy with any of the enemies until I reached the minotaur and got utterly destroyed. I had only managed to get 3 growth elixirs, even when exploring. It feels like there is nothing I could have done so I'm not sure if I'm just missing something.
I mainly put points into defense. When I did this though the minotaur's attacks were vastly higher damage than I could defend against, even with a base 8 defense shield. They didn't break for a long time so there wasn't really any point trying to raise speed. I probably should have invested into speed, but that doesn't seem to give that much of a benefit unless I missed something. This probably changes in the later sections of the game.
end spoilers

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2019-01-23 18:53:40

Hie Stewie,

I don't know the exact numbers but I'm surprised that you only got 3 levelups in your playthroughh. One big issue is: you should be careful not to kill your enemies in one hit in order to still get xp for the kill.
Did you enter every ruin/dungeon and killed every wraith/enemy on the way? I think you should do that at least till day 40.
Also consider putting 1 level into health early in the game. that way your ring of life heals twice as much per day and you can play much more conservative with your shield's health condition. Take more hits without blocking and always use the growth elixirs with as low health as possible.
Also if you happened to find mushrooms on the way it might be a good idea to use them right before engaging the mini bosses.

But probably you just had some bad luck on your playthrough. The difficulty range is quite big depending on what events/items you get on the way. Just keep trying.

2019-01-23 20:37:22

Speed increases accuracy, which is good for heavy hitting weapons that tend to miss their mark.