2019-01-21 11:15:25

Version 1.1 updates listed below with link. The link is a new version of the game, rather than an updating package.
Added missing laser inhibitor toggle, using F9
Added 180 degree flip and roll key, or 180 immediate u-turn, for specific vessels
Increased to 4 different laser sounds, which can be cycled via the status menu
Added Courier jobs, usually available on robot worlds and alien worlds
Added Milk Run mission. Walkthrough narrative added to the guides folder
Minor adjustments to the foe signal and thargoid laser strengths
Added cottonmouth ship
Increased faction specialty item discount to make cross-border trading more lucrative.
Saved games have different names to the original version to allow for conversion.
Copy original saved games into the new equivalent folder. Then run the conversion utility.
The utility will convert original files, as long as the equivalent version 1.1 file doesn't exist.
The preferences file also has a different name, but is not included in the conversion. The old one isn't compatible with the new.
New Horizons 1.1 download link via Google Drive

2019-01-21 11:40:21

@firefly, some sort of dungeon keeper type game is definitely still rattling around in my head. Hearing that New Horizons made a positive impact makes me want to develop other ideas and I've learnt a lot.
Believe it or not but Horizons was originally only going to have 4 channels of even simpler sound, because that was a limit to the sound channels in BBC Basic. Firelight Technologies created FMOD, which allows numerous sound files to be pre-loaded and played quickly, while controlling aspects of how each sound is played. Treasure Islands made use of Windows sound commands which were a little on the slow side, and not so good for real time action. Now that I know all this, there are a number of things that I want to try.
The general idea is to work on a handful of simpler games of different types. Perhaps putting the best ideas into something bigger later on.

2019-01-21 12:15:41

Wow this is awesome! I look forward to trying out curier missions, it'll make finding that moon a bit easier, and also seeing how a 180 degree turn affects combat strategies.

Thanks a lot for the update.

I've always fancied a dungeon keeper game, since I loved the idea of playing the evil sorcerer trying to construct a dungeon to deal with those pesky heroes, and I'm definitely a fan of strategy games, so that's a great idea, but in the mean time I'll be interested to see how the update plans out.

Oh and thx for the converter for save files.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-01-21 12:35:29

hi freeman.

the only thing i'll say about simpler projects is that the audio games market has so many simple games that we are flooded with them. which then makes the audio games market unappealing. look at blindfold games for example. regardless of how different each game looks they are so simple they get boring within 5 minutes of playing because of lack of content and game play. please don't fall into that trap because you have demonstrated both with echo quadrant and this game that you are far more capable than that. i mention those 2 games because they are the 2 games i have played extensively. you've made a dream come true for me with new horizons. i would love to see you do even more wonders with this game and i truely believe that you are in a calibre far above that of blindfold games. again i use them as a prime example. yet they charge for their games and you don't. yet the effort you've put into 1 game is fantastic compared to the amount of little games they put out in the same amount of time.
personally and this is just my opinion IMO, based on what I've seen what you have done with both this game and with echo quadrant i'd be far happier waiting for a good few months for a developer like yourself to come out with something special and unique rather than seeing loads of titles just get put out just because people think that the more titles they have the more well known they are. well in a way that is true the more titles a developer has the more well known they become but i guess it depends on what you wish to be well known for.
personally i think you've more than made your mark in the audio games community and are very capable of maintaining that or even going beyond it.

2019-01-21 14:24:29

@darren, many thanks for the encouragement. It really means a lot.
I have to confess that I'm not familiar with the audio games out there, although I did take a peek at a Swamp video.
A chance event one day made me consider what I might be able to create, and for me it's fun to write this kind of program.
When I talk about simple games, it's a relative term. There are old arcade games that could be converted to audio only, with some thought.
I need to learn more about the fundamental techniques of providing real time information through sound, for various basic scenarios.
It's a different way of thinking, that I'm still getting to grips with.
And I only write games that I want to play. If it's not fun then I won't write it.

2019-01-21 14:43:47

hi freeman,

so what sorts of arcade games did you have in mind?
yes sadly there's a lot of very simplistic titles out there. not to mention the amount of space invader type clones out there. which is why i was cautioning you on the types of games you would think of putting out. don't just become yet another developer as i feel that would genuinely be a shame.
yes swamp is a fantastic game yet another game that to my mind stands out there. others have tried to emulate it but not really been successful. it seems to me that someone brings out something that a lot of people love, then others try and bring out the almost same thing. in some ways that's a good thing and it could be good if for example what was done was improved upon from before. but sadly that doesn't often happen. although i'm always willing to see exceptions to the rule if they crop up.

2019-01-21 17:17:25

@freeman69 Thanks loads for the game and update!

Sure space invaders is over done, but no one has done an audio gauntlet yet.

2019-01-21 17:26:25

now i'd love gauntlet 2 i used to play that tons on my omiga 500. pretty much an endless game. lol i played it all day once and managed over 100 levels lol. i'd love a real gauntlet 2 type game.

2019-01-21 18:07:31

Hi.
Slight!
Spoilers!
Ahead!
Since you can only have 1 ship at a time, I'm attempting to get the hardware acquisition quest over and done with since apparently you get a ship on completion... however, since I got a bit confused thinking I would screw myself over taking the prototype ship as Dark's guide said their would be consequences, I didn't steal the ship, and don't know what to do.
I think I may have achieved what I planned not to do in the first place, screw myself over! :d.
But if anyone can help, whether I just have to fly some place else or something, or will I have to start over?
THX in advance

Though our eyes may fail, our ears prevail!
User Karma, every little helps

2019-01-21 18:44:46

I vote for audio gauntlet as well, that would rock, though the problem is I like the idea of the rpg version with the adventure mode as much as the arcade food shooting fest big_smile.
Beware! slight spoilers for hardware acquisition quest.

@Saiyen, I was trying to give hints in the guide without giving the full solution. You can take the ship, but if you don't get it to the zocalo in time, or if you decide not to take it to the zocalo  things can get complicated.
For the best consequences, take the ship and then fly it straight to the zocalo.

hth.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-01-21 20:05:33

@Dark, think I better start over again, because I got a bit mixed up.
I thought, if you took the ship, then certain locations would be inaccessible as you stated in the guide, hence why I didn't take the ship, but may have screwed myself over in doing so, since now I don't know what to do, and I wanna upgrade from this ugly worm to my brand new Crait smile

2019-01-21 20:22:39

Beware, possible hardware mission spoilers!

Nope, the only time you get into trouble is if you take the ship and dordle about taking it back, and even then your not completely doomed, I wouldn't say your in trouble or need to restart though if you didn't take the ship since earning enough money for a kraite or other decent starter ship isn't so bad, you could also try for the morray and do the other mission too.

As I said in the guide, remember, this is one game where trading actually is pretty helpful to you.

2019-01-21 22:54:22

@Dark... so if I'm understanding correctly, taking the ship for yourself without delivering it back will lead to consequences, ware as not stealing the ship just continues the game as normal, as if you didn't take the quest in the first place?
If I'm right, then what would I have gotten if I had delivered the ship back in time?

2019-01-21 23:04:05

1k credits

2019-01-21 23:27:30

1k? you serious? you can get that with 1 maybe 2 trading runs and bounties which sounds like far less effort.

2019-01-22 05:58:34

I have a pile of credits now, but I ... don't see the point in having a Gecko. Sure, it's a teeny bit faster and you don't have to refuel it, but fuel costs like, nothing, especially if you go into stars and get it, and I want a bigger cargo and tougher hull, and the Gecko doesn't have missiles, and I basically would prefer my Cobra right now, or something on the higher end of the normal ship options you get from the planets. I'd rather be tough and capacious thanks.

2019-01-22 08:15:01

Considering how overpowered the Cobra is as a starting vessel, it is hardly fair to compare the two if you chose the Cobra at start up.

I personally would take the extra speed and turning over missiles (never use) and the extra 5 cargo space. As to the hull, unless things change during certain missions, even tons of hull doesn't seem to be a necessity. I restarted from scratch and my current ship with 60 hull is more than enough even in a danger 9 sector, even if I stay to take on a bunch of ships for awhile.

As far as not needing fuel, I suppose this is just preference.  I don't mind having to refuel as it doesn't take that much time, but I won't turn down not having to constantly fill up my tanks.

Like I mentioned though, perhaps things are different while doing missions, but my personal choice is give me the ability to out maneuver my opponents over hull, 5 cargo space, and missiles (Again something I've never needed to use).

2019-01-22 08:42:03

Can someone please help. I have been playing this game since last week.
After I buy some items from the first place that I start where do I go from there? It seems that all I do is fly around in space.

2019-01-22 08:59:22

As to ships, its the turning speed and accelleration that make the gecko awesome. Lack  needing to refuel is a convenience, but the maneuverability is waaay more than a cobra. (I do agree though, the Cobra is rather overpowered as  starting ship, it'd be nice if there were more ships in the 7-12 k range so that you had something else to aim at without going straight for the gecko or the fler de lance.

Okay, Hardware mission spoilers ahoy!

If you return the ship on time, you get 1k credits and a Krait ship.

2019-01-22 09:19:22

but what's the point of doing that mission if you already have a far better ship? i have a fully upgraded cobra, why would i want to be rewarded with something far less than i already have
? if you see what i mean. you are meant to be able to take the missions on at any time but if you take them on at a point after you have worked beyond the reward you would get for the mission then sadly there seems very little point in taking it on.

2019-01-22 10:38:37

~Well on the one hand the missions are supposed to be more about the background story than anything else, the rewards are incidental. On the other hand, yes the cobra is overpowered, the missions are more if you start with a worm and continue, though there is one mission which pretty much serves as a conclusion to the game.

Btw, guide is now updated with details of the flip and roll function on all ships, courier missions and details of faction trading, although at the moment I've still not found that too much more prophetable than standard trading anyway.

2019-01-22 11:09:05

the background story i do get the idea for that yes but why would you go backwards? i wouldn't say that the cobra is overpowered, i worked my way up from nothing to get that ship so i consider that a sutible reward for my labours. but if the back story is only going to give me something less than i already have then i probably won't do it as it's sort of not worth it. if the missions happened on a timed basis based on progress money shipkills owned ship for example then that would have made much more sense IMO.

2019-01-22 17:12:17

OK, now I'm confused.
Spoilers ahead!
I just attempted the milk run mission, and was given the chance to steal a police viper,so I took it.
However, it then said, unless I'm misunderstanding, I would be arrested if I attempted to land anywhere in the Osiris faction.
However, nothing is happening when I'm landing in places, and I'm confused. :d

2019-01-22 18:41:05

Where do you guys buy hull regen from? I only see options for armor, missile and lasers.

2019-01-22 18:55:15

Robot Planets are where you can buy special upgrades like the scrambler, hull regen ETC