2019-01-16 00:55:17

Hey folks,
A while ago, I was browsing through grossgang.com, and happened upon the old braillenote users archive. Now, I don't know if it's still there, but that's beside the point. Anyway, today, I was deleting stuff out of my downloads folder to conserve some disk space when I again happened upon a zip file of all this content. I extracted it and what do you know? There were around 300 of them vintage text adventure games. I sure do miss playing those things, and knowing that text adventure game development wasn't limited to blind people, I performed a google search for how to run them on a windows computer. I found a program called frotz, which I downloaded from the app store some time ago, but had no idea there was a windows equivalent. So I download the installer, run it, and excitedly load up a dot z8 file, but I'm presented with one of the most inaccessible apps I've seen this year. I couldn't navigate anywhere, because all NVDA would say was: blank. I tried various screen review modes and got nothing. So my question to you all is: how the heck do I run text adventures on windows, either with frotz or another program? It really surprised me, you know, as the frotz iPhone app was quite usable but I just got tired of inputting so many commands on such a small keyboard... So, thoughts?

-
That Guy. Serving those people since that time. To contact, use that info.

2019-01-16 01:39:50 (edited by Slender 2019-01-16 01:45:23)

In Frotz preferences, accessible by using ctrl+p, there is a speech tab which will allow you to enable SAPI speech. If you are an NVDA user, there is also an addon available that makes the program accessible along with several other IF interpreters. I actually have an even larger archive of text adventures, 688 of them in total.

Oh no! Somebody released the h key! Everybody run and hide!

2019-01-16 01:43:31

There is a universal text adventure addon for nvda, then you can use frotz or some other interpereter. I use filfer because it can play a bariety of formats.

2019-01-16 04:25:01

Thanks, guys. I sure am interested in this NVDA Addon. Anybody know where I can get that?

-
That Guy. Serving those people since that time. To contact, use that info.

2019-01-16 05:39:45

You can get it here. Jeff's NVDA addon repository hosts it as well, but it's hosting an old version.

2019-01-16 06:31:28

@slender thanks for that, I didn't know the version on Jef redcowski's site was an older one.
@Thatguy: If you go to The interactive fiction archive found here you'll find that there is still a pretty major community of people playing those sorts of parser  text adventure games, and new ones are still being written.

I don't think there is quite as much around now as there was a few years ago, but there are still regular interactive fiction competitions, as well as games still being played on modern platforms too.

Myself, I always tended to find with the huge parser I'd inevitably get stuck on a "guess the verb" or other illogical puzzle, so my If playing fell off, but I do remember several games fondly, plus of course there are a few straight off rpgs like kerkerkruip, treasures of a slavers kingdom andd the very extensive adult rpg flexible survival that are written in usual If type languages, which is why I keep the addon around myself.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-01-16 11:23:07

oh yeah, and flexible survival is getting updates still regularly from what can be seen on the blog. That is, if the updates aren't just for the online Version, but as far as i understood, they are for the offline Version as well. So if you haven't played it in a while, more Content will be offered now and the game gets bigger and bigger each month.
BTW: does anyone know if kerkerkruip is still in development? I tryed to contact the author via mail but found no adress.

2019-01-16 14:07:12

The blog lists updates to the main game of flexible survival, however most updates are patrion funded, which firstly means you might not necessarily see a given npc get more expantion, and secondly that actual game changes are a trifle slow in coming.

I'm still waiting for them to add that quest tracker, particularly since the game has got so huge you need to be pretty precise with the hunt command which usually means plumming the wkik.

Sadly I've not heard anything about kerkerkruip either, the last update was 2015. The dev's website Can be found here

A shame since the game is awesome, especially if you like randomness and hugely tactical combat, and I was really looking forward to the promised overhaul of the block and parry system.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-01-16 17:57:05

The offline version of flexivle survival on the blog is vastly different than what I got a couple years ago. It also has 2 smaller spinoffs on the blog.

2019-01-16 18:08:20

As Niklas said, the game gets updated pretty constantly, and while mechanics changes are rarer than extra npcs or new, mmmmm, activities, they do still happen sometimes, that's one reason why I really want them to add the quest tracker.

As to the two spinoffs, flexible infection is I think a previous version of flexible survival showing the appocalypse actually happening and people changing, its got an interesting mechanic for transformation and tracking npcs, but its still rather unfinished and if you've played the main fs you probably have seen most of what's on offer.

Flexible society is the one I was a bit sad is sort of abandoned now. It was supposed to be a strategic building and management game where you start with a particular species of mutants and have to make war, expand, find supplies and such in an effort to dominate other species. Sadly a lot of the game is unfinished and its very hard to play. I don't think there has been any updates to the game since 2013 which is a shame.

2019-01-17 01:29:37

IFDB.tads.org has user lists, a rating system, and favorites.
You can find the two top 50 IF games of all time lists if nothing else... But user "Mathbrush" does allot of good collections too.
And thanks Slender for the updated add-on I didn't know their was a newer one either.

2019-01-17 10:59:40

The largest game released in 2018 year is Cragne Manor.
It was created in collaboration by fans of Michael Gentry's Anchorhead and over eighty authors participated in the project.
Each author was assigned one room, but some authors added locations accessible only from their rooms.
Puzzles are varied in quality and weirdness.
For example, the mechanic used for solving Andrew Plotkin's room will be familiar to people who played Hadean Lands.
The game will take days to complete.

Regarding RPGs, I can add a few more.

From a few years before there is a commercial game Leadlight Gamma.
This is RPG where the heroine wakes one day from a nap in her school library and discoveres that most of her classmates are dead or injured.

Necron's Keep
A beginner magic user has to investigate what happened to King Necron.
The mechanic of this game is the same as in The Reliques of Tolti-Aph.
Strength  is used to cast spells instead of mana and combat is determined by dice roll.

The Lost Hound is an adult RPG made in TADS.
The protagonist wakes up in a forest without any memory and must discover his identity.
I like this game and other games of this author.

There are also adult RPGs made in Adrift.
Pervert Action: Crisis, Pervert Action: Future and Pervert Action: Legacy.
Legacy is most recent and the largest game in the series.

2019-01-17 18:51:35

Speaking of said NVDA Add On, why isn't it on the "official" NVDA site itself?
#JustWondering

I also saved the add on to my Google Drive, just in case.

2019-01-17 19:11:21

What interpreter should I use to play Cragne Manor. It sounds really cool. I loved Anchorhead. Any other good releases lately? I haven't seriously checked out text adventures since 2011.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2019-01-17 19:30:04 (edited by Luel 2019-01-17 21:24:08)

Cragne Manor is a Glulx game, so you can use Windows Git, Windows Glulxe or Lectrote.
The game has flaws, but some parts are awesome.
Worth playing in my opinion.

As for Anchorhead, it had a commercial version released a year ago.

Since 2011 many good games has been released.
Any particular preferences?

2019-01-18 02:40:31

@13, I'm honestly not sure. Some addons by Nick Stockton are on the addons site already, in the development section, but IF Interpreters somehow didn't manage to get on there.

2019-01-18 11:05:27

Nice to see so many possibilities with NVDA. I searched for accessible games a while ago in this genre. It seems that other formats than Zcode are even playable with the addon, right? I thought because addrift was menssioned as well. That would open up more adventures to us. The Thing is, I don't managed to sort the games on ifdb, for example for accessible ones other than the Zcode ones. Any tipps? But it is great to see that there are new games coming along still.

2019-01-18 13:44:41

I remember playing tads game some years ago, but I can't recall the name of the interpreter I used.

2019-01-18 14:14:02

Here is the link for the Interactive Fiction Database:
https://ifdb.tads.org/

To search games in the edit box type for example:
language:en system:inform
and the results will appear for English Inform games.
I hope that helps.

Adrift Runner for games in Adrift 5 does not work with the NVDA add-on and there is no other alternative.
I keep Adrift Runner on my computer for some games I like, but playing them feels like a chore.
I prefere games in Inform or Tads.

2019-01-18 15:02:37 (edited by targor 2019-01-18 15:03:27)

For Tads games, you use HTML Tads. Nearly all if on IFDB is accessible anyway.
For good games, I suggest the commercial "Hadean Lands" if you like lots and lots of puzzles, or the free game "Counterfeit Monkey" if you like word puzzles and a engaging story. "The King of Shreds and Patches" is also great for lovecraft fans. These are my favorites after 2011, but there are hundreds of good games.

We are pleased, that you made it through the final challenge, where we pretended we were going to murder you. We are throwing a party in honor of your tremendous success. Place the device on the ground, then lay on your stomach with your arms at your sides. A party associate will arrive shortly to collect you for your party. Assume the party submission position or you will miss the party.

2019-01-18 19:56:11

You can find wonderful instructions on how to play "Text Adventure Development System" games with a screen reader thanks to its author "Mike Roberts," by taking a trip on over to this page on the tads.org web site, and find the master list of TADS two/three games, by traveling on over here , thanks to the Interactive Fiction Archive

2019-01-18 20:12:01

The very best and accessible way to play adrift games is the fabularium app on android. That app has a whole lot of compatibility for just a single app, plus sound and graffics support for games that have them. Doesn't play quest games yet but maybe in an update it will.

2019-01-19 08:12:55

Sadly I find HTML TADS to be pretty laggy my self.
Winget and Frotz with that add-on are great though, and that means that any ZCode or Glulx game without visual elements important to gameplay (non optional maps or vital color coded text for instance) can be played just fine.
And since the large majority of them don't, it's easy to get into as a blind person.
More modern titles, using  advanced interpreters like TADS3 tend to use graphics and sound much more frequently, but their is still a pretty good chance that their just decoration and not actually required.