2019-01-19 01:01:04

ChatMUD is a social MUD (not a game) where people can talk, build, hang out, and anyone can request a programmer's bit via the progbits channel. There's not a lot to say about it, there is a chatpack for MUSHclient, don't know if there is one for VIP or not. There are lots of socials, and people generally act silly and have a good time.

The connection info is:  chatmud.com port 7777. Optionally, there is an SSL port on 7443.

I discovered this little gem a few weeks back sort of accidentally while trawling through TMC. It had no connection info at the time, so I got curious... and I found said info. The opening has kicked off as of today (Friday, January 18, 2019).

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-01-19 04:02:42

The link to the soundpack website is
https://www.chatpack.org/

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2019-01-19 13:30:48

Information at ChatMud from the developer's reddit post ( https://www.reddit.com/r/MUD/comments/a … y_18_2019/ ):

Hello,
Gradually, a great deal of my MUD activity has evolved into socializing and chatting, rather than playing. I would often find myself connecting to various MUDs to interact with other players in private mediums, utilize private channel systems or generally congregate rather than taking advantage of the game mechanics available. Coming to this conclusion a little over a year ago, I tasked myself with creating a MUD that would bring the best elements of socialization, creativity, and collaboration together into a central hub for everyone to enjoy. Written in MOO using the LambdaMOO-Stunt server, we're almost ready to test the waters and open to the public.
I should preface the following with the disclaimer that ChatMUD is not a game in the typical sense. It's a community of likeminded individuals that connect for the purposes of socializing or creating. Here's a snippet from our login screen:
ChatMUD is a community, where netizens come together to socialize, interact, and create. Much like any real-life community, it is made up of real people who may engage in discourse not necessarily to your liking; the wizards are not held legally responsible for such behavior. User-created content may not always be age-appropriate. If this is the case, you will be held responsible for allowing minors to connect through your facilities. New characters are created as builders and may be bestowed programmer access via automated systems. You can review HELP BUILDER-INDEX to glean information pertinent to adding to the virtual reality.
This started off as a project for me and my friends. It was, at large, never expected to succeed. I wouldn't have been surprised if it died off within the first few months of its existence, but it persisted and spread by word of mouth to other people who were interested. Here's a short rundown of the systems we've implemented:
• Robust channel system; people can create public or private channels, add channel bots to them (including anything from games, link previewing, or a Markov imitation generator), and can set custom colors for the channels, along with allow and ban lists. IF you don't wish to use an allow list you can use a password. This channel system is largely influenced by Alter Aeon and has been improved in numerous ways. All code is original.
• Custom socials with tokens that allow people to use their own pronouns or reference elements of your current room that add to immersion. Socials can either be private and shared between people or made "global" for anyone to use. Socials follow a vetting process and only trusted editors are able to add global socials.
• Building system with doors, areas, and an almost overwhelming number of messages to configure the experience.
• Virtual details, which are reference-counted objects that allow people to add small details to rooms. You can even interact with them or sit on them, despite them not being physically present as a normal object is.
• Intrepid developers can register their creations with a player creations database, which will then allow others to refer to that object using a short variable name. Much like core objects in MOO, which are often referred to as $<name> (i.e. $thing), these creations can be referred to as %<thing> for quick creating without being included in the core set of objects.
• Extensive moderation system that allows carefully selected players to take action against people who cause trouble on public channels.
• Color support for standard ANSI, Xterm 256, and 24-bit True Color. Channels permit you to change the way they appear only for you, and there are 15 or more options to customize how room titles, private tells, and numerous other elements of your experience are colored.
• Granular support for Pushover, which allows you to receive notice of various events, including channel mentions or private messages on a mobile device.
• Advanced webserver that lets any programmer make objects that can receive data via a URL (i.e. webhooks.) It also supports account authentication, so you can make your creations require identification. We lock certain elements like player profiles behind an authwall, using this very system.
• SSL support for both the dynamic MOO web services and the MOO itself.
• Database and server enhancements that improve the syntax of the MOO language.
• Since anyone is able to write code after going through our automated process of obtaining a programmer's bit, we've designed all these systems with a critical eye towards security. Everything leverages proper permissions checks, and we have server-side checks and balances to prevent elevated access from unauthorized individuals.
• Active, vibrant playerbase of testers, dropping no lower than 15 people connected at one given time -- just from word of mouth. Typically, we're in between 20-30.
• Outside of the MOO, we also host or maintain services which are open for people to use, such as a Gitlab for ChatMUD-relevant projects (or any MUD related projects, for that matter), an IRC server, and a Discord which will be announced shortly.
As of right now, we have well over 60,000 lines of code purely dedicated towards core systems excluding stock LambdaCore, with a little over 5,000 towards player creations. Only 7.6% of this is unreadable; almost every system is open source. This adds even more pressure to make things secure, and that's how we like it. You can see exactly what the code is doing and make certain that your privacy isn't being violated. This is only a short list of what we have to offer.
Here's a list of items that are on the roadmap:
• Web API that allows custom apps to hook into various internal systems like channels. We already have endpoints for the who list, stats and others, which understandd and speak JSON.
• Discord integration.
• Finishing our beta web client. In the meantime, we offer our own locally hosted copy of the Dome Client.
• Final touches on our website, which will be going live soon.
While MUD (and MOO) are incredibly dated systems, I'm passionate about the collaboration and untapped creativity that these platforms allow people to dial into. Creating new objects has the least ramp-up time, since little to no graphics are involved and it's fingers-to-keys writing and development without worries spent getting an image just right. If you enjoy the idea of any of this, please do comment. If you're a MOO developer who has wanted a 'LambdaMOO 2.0', with active people who are knowledgeable and passionate about the platform we develop on, check us out when we go live.

Which is now!

This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!

2019-01-20 01:39:01

Are their any easy building options for those that don't know how to do it manually? For instance like how Promo did ships or how Miriani does apartments.
How well is the chat moderated, and how much is already their for exploring.

2019-01-20 01:52:39

THere's already a lot to explore and there are moderators who keep things under control. If you want to build something, you'll have to make each room and object yourself, but the processes are pretty streamlined. For example you use a single command to make  an east exit to a new room called Living Room. That command also sets a return exit of west from that room. So there's not much thought mechanics wise.

2019-01-20 21:40:42

This sounds interesting. You can create your own world or add to existing ones? I'll check this out.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2019-01-21 02:33:33

As long as their are decent helpfiles explaining it that's fine, I thought you may have to know MOO to do it or something is all.

2019-01-21 06:49:38

yeah, the help files are good. You don't need to know how to code to build things.

2019-01-27 16:41:29

why the port 3000 is warning me. is that  getting deleted.

2019-01-28 21:09:42

Yeah. It'll be going away soon. Use 7777, or 7443 for TLS.