2019-01-18 21:19:13

Finding useful stuff is a hard business.  Sometimes you just don't feel like doing the legwork involved.  Some items are rarities most people probably don't even know exist, while others are beloved by great majority.
Inspired by another topic I read that had, practically nothing to do with this, I've decided to start this one to see what everyone lists.  It doesn't matter what the product is really, provided it has at least somewhat of a technological background... I really don't mind hearing about your electronic fidget spinner if that's even a thing.  By that same token, some of these are products someone else is more than likely going to find useless or flat out hate, so I simply ask that if you list something here on either side of the spectrum you do so respectfully, as no one size fits all, or else we'd all be wearing the same exact shoes!  There's no real right way to organize your products, so I'll begin and you can follow the leader, or you can do it your own way and bla bla bla...
Products I love:  iPhone, Apple TV, PC-usually a desktop, yamaha mg xu 10 input stereo mixer for production and even casual listening purposes.
Things I hate: Amazon Kindle, electric can openers, most DVD players... I haven't found one that I can actually use, most electric toothbrushes, most housephones as they are practically in accessible, touchscreen TV's, most modern microwaves, most mainstream thermostats, my mother's washing machine, and any other inaccessible touchscreen device, period!  No questionmark!
Things I want: Accessible TV, Yamaha Montage because why not, a larger external harddrive than the one's I currently have functioning, better speakers than the ones I have at an afordable price, a remote controled ceiling fan.
Things I miss: my NES, my SNES, my n64, my Yamaha prs-340, my Kenwood, Iowa and Sony stereo systems, my braille lite.
See what I mean?  I'm sure you can all come up with a bunch of other stuff that's personal to you, and that's what we're here to do, as personal can get rather interesting!

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2019-01-21 01:08:35

I'm surprised that no one else has responded to this topic, so I'll be the first to chime in.
Things I love: my computer, my xbox, my phone (both android and iPhone), my bop it collection even though it's kind of stored away, stuff that comes out at Christmas (lots of electronic decorations including plushies from various garden centers, and more recently, hallmark ornaments), talking cashpoints (just an awesome concept in general and they work with a headset)
things I hate: inaccessible touch screen devices
Things I want: I'd love a fully accessible tv, not just a half hearted effort.

2019-01-21 02:00:59

Wooo bop-its!  I haven't had one of those in years!  Not sure what talking cashpoints are, but okey doky.
We've got a pretty cool little Christmas tree with lights that alternate between colors the kids fell in love with.  It's small enough that we actually put it up on one of our counters last year instead of just leaving it on the floor where the toddlers could get at it and continuously knock it over or pull off the ornaments.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2019-01-21 03:30:42

cash point is the british term for ATM.
Things I love: Computers, phones
Things I do not like: Single-purpose electronics that apps can replace (money readers and blindy talking book players are top of the list), touchpads (i've been microwave shopping all day, without any success)

skype name: techluver
Feel free to add me.

2019-01-21 05:57:46

ok, lets go
things I love:my phone, laptop, my very cool earphones, wireless earphones.
things I hate, my old keypad phone, my old fucked up laptop, inaccessible devices.
things I want:google home, smart tv, I phone Xs max, and many more

allow me to speak more,
catch me on Twitter
or, Mastodon

2019-01-21 06:31:35

Things I like my iPhone, iPod touch, desktop, laptop, external hard drive Google Home, Bose QC headphones, Braille Note Apex, bop it Henry and Brain Warp electronic games.
Things I miss my N64, Game Cube, stolen laptop.
Things I hate the future iPhones with out touch ID. Things I want I'd like to try an android phone or tablit at some point.

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2019-01-21 08:47:00

Things I love: My PC, Victor reader stream, Iphone, cambridge audio speakers, sanheisa headphones, my sanheisa earbuds, my snes, my gamecube with gb player and the Amazon alexa, in another sense my electtric steamer,  Plus for amusement value some of the weird solar lights I have outside.

Things I hate:
Anything with an inaccessible touch screen, especially pointless stuff like when my local subway replaced their handy drinks despensor with a number of taps, anything with a music rental service that doesn't let you play your own collection, plus inaccessible programs that should be accessible.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-01-21 10:40:46

Excelent!  Glad to see this topic growing!  Wish I could say I had better results looking up cambridge audio, but it shamefully seems to not be all that much of a hit in the US.  Lots of cool stuss here!

2019-01-21 12:14:13

things I love
my lg smart webos tv
my laptops, my iphone and android devices and much much more, they are daily my usage in work place or home
what i hate? inaccessible fridges, no screen reader built in, inaccessible touch screens, washing machines, microwaves the crap inaccessible old tv's, dvd players
that's the end

2019-01-21 13:48:57

Things I love: My iPhone 7+, dell xps 15 9560, my google home, my amazon echo, My qc 35s, my xbox, my coffee maker, my rice cooker.
Things I hate: inaccessible touch screens, inaccessible kiosks, fridges, washing machines etc. The list goes on.
Things that I'd love to try: turntables, instant pot, Noise canceling headsets from sony and Sennheiser. An android phone. gpd win. raspberry pie and more that I can't remember ata the moment.

2019-01-21 14:19:56

The Cambridge audio speakers are a bit of a monstrosity, and were definitely not cheap, but since I hadn't bought a new speaker set in 15 years I don't  to get more anytime soon, and short of living in a cinema they're about as good as you'll get for a home setup.

I have five around the living room plus two in the kitchen for when I'm wanting to listen to music whilst washing up.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-01-21 16:50:18

Ok, I have to kime in too:
Things I love:
My galaxy a5 2016, a nice phone made of glass because why not have glass, my amazon fire 7 2017, my Eco dot, my laptop, MSI apache pro ge62 vr, my soni earbuds, my plantronix m70, my pi and surprisingly, my old iphone 3gs because, well, your first smartphone is your first smartphone.
Things I hate: touch washing machines, the Iphone 7, don't ask me why lol, iphones above 8 plus, old inaccesible phones, my crappy old android phones, itunes.
Things I really want to try or have: google home mini, a braille display, a note taker and much, much more.
Things I miss: my lenovo thinkpad, still works, but it can't be used easily without a rage quit and others I don't remember.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2019-01-21 19:13:03

@Dark,
That's sort of what I figured by looking at the prices.  I'd say music is a rather expensive hobby in general.  Like I said above though, it's a shame they're not a wee bit more poppular here in the states.

2019-01-21 22:10:56

Things I love: my iPhone, which has become a necessary tool in the daily basis. My laptop which has become an indispensible learning tool for every task related to my studies. Q-Read, which deserves every penny I have spent on it. You may be surprised to read that the last thing I love is my old Samsung Analog TV from 2012 which is by all means inaccessible, but due to its simple functionality, can be controlled easily by a blind or a visually impaired user. It does the job well as far as I use it.
Things I hate: my Wirlpool fridge which resides proudly in my kitchen. My Sony TV which is completely inaccessible and the system it uses is inconsistent and quite confusing, which makes it nearly impossible for me to use it.
Things I'd like to have, or try: a keyboard, possibly from Korg, or a new Accordian. Both would revive my passion for music.

2019-01-21 23:35:28

Let me give a little twist to the topic. So, here's this synthesizer called the Yamaha ReFace DX: a funky little fm synthesis keyboard with three octaves of minikeys, but with better quality than say a Microkorg, which I also have. Still let us stay with the DX: it's interface is based around a bunch of buttons and that nasty four slider touchscreen. Obviously that last part is whate I used to hate, but it's still possible to mark the boundries of those touch sliders via narrow strips of tape. Yes, time consuming and not the most pleasant, but workable solution. Recently a dutch company called Dtronics released the DT-RDX, a dedicated hardware midi controller specifically for this board and now this whole touch slider thing becomes almost redundent, not really, but almost. It's still needed for storing patches, accessing the twin fx processors and the midi looper, of course the setup/system menu as well, but regarding the main core of fm synthesis, this controller takes care of it in a knobby way. So yeah, a love/hate relationship with a synth. I won't discuss any of my other gear at the moment, may-be later, as there aren't that many true synth geeks around here. Interesting and quite an important topic never the less.

2019-01-22 02:49:20

I think I can agree and sort of get behind post 15.  I have a similar love hate relationship with the Roland Jupiter 80.  Thankfully there's the FA-06, though admitedly I haven't been too successfrull with it either.  I like all of the concepts presented in the Yamaha montage, but I just, don't know, as I haven't messed around with one yet.

2019-01-22 07:39:35

Things I love:  My laptop, Reaper, my VSTs.  My Yamaha PSRE-253 keyboard (couldn't make music without it!).  My single serve coffee maker, my table top oven, my Magic Bullet food processor, my stand mixer, my Focusrite 2i2 audio interface, Audio technica AT2020, and that's all I can think of right now.  Can you tell I love making music?
Things I hate:  Totally 100 percent agree with touch screens.  Like why they replaced keypads for them are stupid ugh.  Inaccessible anything really, but I don't liek android phones especially, and tablets because they should be more accessible then they are right  now and it's annoying that you p much need to sink your savings into i devices for anything accessible.
Things I want:  I really miss having talking things around the house! Like a talking clock, talking kitchen timer, things like that.  Lost them somewhere along the way of moving and I'd liek to repurchase them.  Also would like an actually affordable ipad or ipod, but know that won't happen anytime soon lol.  I really would like to upgrade my computer, mine has been majorly laging lately.  Also really want a Ninja master prep system, since I'm a big baker.

2019-01-26 03:05:18

Things I love: Iphone se (this will probably be the last iphone I ever own though as I like small phones and more importantly headphone jacks), my  gpd win 2, my old macbook air 11 In. Things I miss: emvy 3 (This was a feature phone that could work as an ipod had menus that talked and a number pad and full keyboard when flipped open) I miss physical keyboards on phones in general though, my old laptop with 2 headphone jacks, old nokia phone that I could play music for friends on the phone without other people hearing it, and I miss having my own blender to make smoothies, but I'm probably leaving my workplace soon so it's not worth buying another or bringing my old one. Things I hate, many new social media apps especially facebook messenger, online education things that i wish I could make the developers of which use with a screen reader before telling us they are accessible, and computers and things with hardly any ports on them.

2019-01-26 15:02:48 (edited by Dark 2019-01-26 15:03:40)

If we're talking of things I miss I can add a couple.
My old talking cube clock which I've had for the past 12 or so years. Yes, its still upstairs and still works, but sadly its been replaced by Alexa since its easier to ask the time from across the room than come and hit the clock on my table, still I have a nostalgia about the clock since it woke me up so often while I was at university or on holliday or in other places, and handy though Alexa is it doesn't have that level of association.

Also my old parrot voice mate. It seems incredible in these times of smart phones to think of a point when you'd need a dedicated personal organiser and contacts list, but it did happen and I used one from about 2002 to 2012, even replacing it when it broke.

Ironically, it bust completely literally the week I bought my Iphoen 5 which is a little sad in its own way.

As a random tangent, I also wonder about my talking microwave. I didn't add it to the list since while its a helpful thing to have, providing a simple kitchen clock and timer as well as a precise way  microwave things, I did do without one for many years and have always tended to view it as more a luxury than a necessity. However, if those old microwaves with accessible dial controls are now falling by the way side in deference to the omnipresent, and inaccessible  touch screen controls, the talking microwave might well be more necessary after all.

2019-01-26 20:01:30

For some reason I miss mp3 players, old voice recorders, cd players  and stereo systems that I used to blast salsa music on at 3 AM in the morning when everyone else in the house was asleep, note I was young at the time.

Things I hate. Windows 10, every  iPad that was ever made.

I would rather listen to someone who can actually play the harmonica than someone who somehow managed to lose seven of them. Me, 2019.

2019-01-26 20:42:41

Wow  Idiot, I don't believe  when I wrote post 19 I forgot about my old diskman! I feel really embarrassed.

My parents bought it me in 96, and its stil in full working order, it was my very first cd player ( I was that late), and I still remember the first cds I had for it, the Final fantasy 7 soundtrack, Rimsky Corsikov's Shaherazad, and a wonderful collection of sf film themes called space beyond, all of which I still have, both in physical form and digitally.

I love that old Diskman, it has a lot of nostalgic associations for me.

2019-01-26 22:49:26

Wooooooooo portable CD players!  I forgot about those freaking things!
I think the reason I actually forgot about them is that in the year 2008, I had the most negative experience a fellow who collects music could possibly have; I lost about $5000 worth of CD's.  I say I lost them; I was on a trip across the state of Texas and had them in a huge organizer that went missing which I actually believe was stolen, but I can't prove a thing.  Every CD I bought from age 7 upward was in there, along with some that were given to me as birthday and Christmas presents.
And that was the end of CD's for me...

2019-01-27 11:10:38

well, I loved my old ipod touch. o yeh good old  I o s 7. but also I loved my talking watch that I lost swimming.
lets just say I thought  it was water proof

Have a lovely day.

2019-01-27 23:34:34

thing I love;
my wii which I play super smash bros on, my xbox which I play fifa and some other stuff on with my brother sometimes, my computer, my iPad, my braillenote, my yamaha psr-EW400 keyboard, my brother's lap top, the tv.
thinks I hate are when braille screen input doesn't work on my iPad, my stupid laggy router, which is gonna get replaced soon, and sometimes my braillenote is very slow so I hate it when it does that.
thats all

2019-01-27 23:35:16

omg that was hoooooorible typing