2019-01-17 06:15:08

@Darren:
I was using a Cobra with military laser, sensor scrambler, forward scanning radar, hull regeneration and fuel tank extension.
This is everything available.
Now I bought a Gecko and had to replace all equipment except the extended fuel tank, since Gecko does not use up fuel.
It also has smaller cargo hold than Cobra, does not use missiles and is faster.
The only more expensive ship is Thargoit.

2019-01-17 08:46:49

@Viktor good to know there is something to do for the mission, what you've said gives me an idea so I'll try something out.

As regards combat, there are a few little things i've discovered, especially after buying my gekko.

Firstly, the laser fires continuously, this indeed was one mistake I made before, holding the button down. While asteroids and cargo crates and other stuff can be destroyed in one shot, other ships need a concentrated blast to take their armour, so destroying ships is generally a matter of centering them, listening for the foe indicator then blasting away, actually its a rather similar process to centering the ore from an asteroid and chasing it down. I'd also highly recommend as good a laser as possible, preferably the military laser.

Second, turning speed is key, since combat is all about centering the enemy. If you hear the sound of a foe behind yo, the best thing you can do is slow down or even stop, then turn to face the enemy before speeding up and blast away, indeed getting how to change your speed and angle fluidly is the answer to winning lots of fights, though also bare in mind many ships will eject cargo to try and put you off when you shoot them, which is another good reason to fly fast when you have a ship in your sights so you can snag the stuff they drop, as well as practice your fast tracking skills.

Third, as regards enemy aggression. The thing that causes bounty hunters to show up is floating cargo, this is why I was having the issue previously where I would shoot one ship and get swamped. The higher the danger rating of the system, the more likely bad guys are to turn up after either you or the cargo.

This is why with my Gecko I'm currently camped out in a danger 8 system basically blasting away for cargo and bounties big_smile.

As to armour, its essentially an extra 100 hp right there which can come in handy sometimes, especially when your hull is already damaged and you have made it to a  or zokalo but not to a freeport.
the hull regeneration system is of course preferable, but that costs literally as much as your ship so you won't have it for a while.

Actually, one basic upgrade which would be nice is the way to buy permenant armour, the way you can currently buy permanent fuel expantions.

hth.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-01-17 10:39:13

First a nother sugestion or question. Would it make it to easy to have an extra sound when you centered a target?
You could make this a nother upgrade to buy.

Is it of any use to visit other Factions? Do they have other trading-goods?

2019-01-17 10:48:36

Can someone please give me some help so that I can get going in this game? What do the different factions do?
After you launch for the first time where do you go? It seems that all I do is fly around and land on planets that I can't do anything on.
I would love to play this game but I need some help getting started.

2019-01-17 10:57:58

OK guys. I could create a little audio tutorial. But only in mono. Would this be OK for you?

2019-01-17 11:15:13

Yes that would be fine with me.

2019-01-17 12:58:40

so haven't seen anything from freedom in a few days. so me thinks he's coding something more for this most excellent of games. truely the diamond of 2019 already i don't think something is going to beat it.

2019-01-17 13:13:52

Or he stepped back. Please please please don't do that!
Darren is absolutely wright! You set the yardstick for the next audiogame extremely high!

I will try to create a little audiotutorial tomorrow.

2019-01-17 14:32:36

well i'm now dangerous after killing various ships including thargoids. my killcount is now 263. i only just hit dangerous and this is the first time i was able to look.

2019-01-17 14:44:39

I just achieved an Elite rank in combat after 1024 kills.

I would like to do some missions, but I am not really eager to buy another ship and have to replace the equipment again.
I like the ship I have, thank you very much.
Maybe if I earn million credits...

2019-01-17 17:01:45

get to 40k buy a thargoid you'll rake it in then.

2019-01-17 17:39:34

I believe you get dangerous rank at 250 kills, and presumably you get to elite at 1000, it will be interesting to see what happens first, elite rank or enough cash to buy a moon.

@darren, there is already a sound for centred ships, the high pitched beep if it is a foe, the normal scanner beep  not. If you hear beeping and hold down the laser button your damaging the enemy, you can also tell by the increasing laser tone.

I'm putting together a fairly detailed starter guide for the game which I hope to have finished either today or tomorrow. It should cover most things you need to know to get started, as well as have useful information like ship stats.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-01-17 17:43:57

you might want to hold off on some of that guide especially if freedom changes the sounds somewhat.

2019-01-18 00:22:08

HI.
Like a number of people it seems, I'm also having trouble getting started in the game.
Like literally, I choose my faction, start at the beginning because why not, and then i'm virtually plunged into this haze of sounds which gives me the impression of a bunch of drones scaring some birds. :d
But seriously, I can't go to any planet or anything.
The auto pilot says jump now, so I press o, i hold O, nothing happens apart from hearing a kinda weird sound.
When I press P, it says something like Vortex 30 and then says jump now again, and on pressing P a second time, drains my 1 remaining fuel unit, only to be asked to jump again? *looks confused*
Any help would be appreciated, as I really would like to say something good about this game
Thanks in advance.

Though our eyes may fail, our ears prevail!
User Karma, every little helps

2019-01-18 00:39:15

P is how you get between systems, but you need to be accelerating first, or you won't do anything but sit there. It creates a vortex in front of your ship, but you still need to fly through it. The sounds thing, I felt the same way, I can't really give you any advice on that front but to stick with it, and keep checking out the sound indicators menu, and eventually it will become no big deal.

O is how you traverse in-system distances quickly. If you hear something like dwarf to left, you then then it says medium ahead, so you press R to get the range to target, and it says 5000, then doing normally even at 10 is still going to be really slow, so you'd hold down O to skip across space to near enough the target, then enter.

Someone said something a few posts back about a sound when you centered a target, but why? A) it would be another sound to learn and B) you already know if a target it centered if its in the center of the stereo image. The indicator doesn't start beeping until its within a small arc in front of you, the radar will pick it up quicker, and the arc of its operation is greater.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-01-18 01:07:25

Hello!

I would also like to say thanks to the developer of this game. Free audio games of that quality are quite rare.
Since I am a big fan of any kind of Scifi, this game is just what I was waiting for. :-)

I have played it quite a lot in the last days and have reached the dangerous rank today, and was also able to buy a nicely equipped Annaconda.

However, there are still a few things which I don't really understand.
Is there a easy way to find out which objects are located in the current system? The only method which I have found so far is to constantly turn around my ship until I have found what I am looking for. It would be quite helpful to see in an instant wheter e.g. an astroid field or a planetoid is present in the system or not. Is there a way to do this appart from circling around like an asteroid myself?

Another thing that I have not found out yet is if its possible to determine how far the border - let's say of an asteroid field, is away from me, when I am inside of it. If I am attacked and want to reach a position from where I can jump than it would be extremely helpful to know how far away from the jumping border I currently am or which way I should turn to leave the asteroid field quickest.

What's more, I would like to know wheter there are any rules which define how much credits you pay or receive for a specific good at a specific location. For example: If a systems mineral type is gold, will this make gold cheaper or more expensive on a free port in that system? Are there any relations between a systems mineral type and the prices which you pay or get for it at the local markets?
Sometimes it can be quite frustrating to have a full hold of a specific ware when you have to fly from system to system to find a buyer who is willing to pay a lucrative price for it.

I would be grateful for some information.

Last but not least I would like to give a few suggestions about the user interface, which I consider to be quite strange and unnecessarely complicated to operate. The menu structure, especially the way of going back, takes longer than it would have to. A key to launch the ship would also be very helpful, because its needed so often, and a way of going to the top or bottom of a menu would also make the gameplay more efficient.
Additionally, the "ask for directions"-command should better be placed within the auto pilot menu on my opinion.

Appart from that, the game is quite funny and contains lots of possibilities for future enhancements.

Great job, Freeman69,

Kind regards from Daniel.

-------------

What's yours is mine and what's mine is mine too
If you shake my hand better count your fingers  (Megadeth)

2019-01-18 01:12:07

I am finally starting to get the hang of things with my first ship being a cobra with a mining laser that I upgraded to a military laser and I can run about 1k credits or so from a full cargo, but I am always having trouble finding a nebula which is why I gave up on the worm, and I saw that the first place in the special location was way more jumps than I have fuel for.

2019-01-18 01:25:45

@ironcross32... yeah I get that, but 1, what am I actually supposed to do at first when I want to go to a destination, because every time I ask for directions to an alien system it just says a bunch of numbers and something like distance 11 or something similar... and 2, as I say, the auto pilot just keeps asking me to jump, even if I wasted my 2 units of fuel pressing P. :d

2019-01-18 01:40:44

The distances are the number of times you need to jump.

2019-01-18 01:47:10

Now that, would make a lot of sense. :d

2019-01-18 01:52:23

Hello BlindSaiyan.

To understand what all those strange bird-like sounds mean it is best to listen to the sound descriptions, which can be found in the main menu. Just select "audio indicators".

The movement of your ship works as follows:

There are three different methods of flying your ship. The slowest is the normal drive, which you use while you are close to objects such as planets, stars, nebulas ETC. With the w and s keys you can accelerate respectively deaccelerate from 1 slowest to 10 fastest. This is important when battleling ships or collecting goods.
Much faster than that is the overdrive engine, which you can use by constantly holding down the o key. It is used to bridge the gaps between the objects within a solar system, e.g. when flying from nebula to free port ETC. First turn your ship towards the desired object, and as soon as it is directly in front of you, hold down o until you reach it. The overdrive is not working when you are close to an object or when you are inside of an asteroid field, nebula or whithin a planets atmosphere.

Last but not least, the jump drive is used to jump from solar system to solar system. Press p to create a jumping vortex in front of you and accelerate your ship with the w key to fly into it. You will hear a rattling sound indicating your hyperspace jump and find yourself in another solar system. Don't change directions or activate the overdrive while you have an active vortex in front of you or you will miss it and won't jump anywhere. Just like the overdrive, the Hyperspace jump won't work whithin atmospheres, nebulas ETC.
To reach a specific place, lets say a harvestable Asteroid field, it's easiest to land on an inhabited planet or freeport and ask for directions to the next asteroid field. When you do this, your auto pilot is programmed with the Destination coordinates.
As soon as you Launch your ship, you will hear the Auto Pilot turn your ship towards the right direction. As soon as you hear "jump now", press p to initiate the hyperjump. Since you can only jump from one System to its closest  neighbors, multiple jumpss may be necessary to reach your destination.
After you have reached the desired system, the auto pilot will turn you towards your destination and announce "fly to destination". This means that you have reached the right system and must use the conventional drive from now on. Just use the overdrive to fly to your destination. By pressing r you can always find out what's currently in front of you and how far from you it is away.

I hope I could help you further a little.

Greetings from Daniel.

-------------

What's yours is mine and what's mine is mine too
If you shake my hand better count your fingers  (Megadeth)

2019-01-18 02:52:31

Thanks for the info. I will be trying this out in a little bit.

2019-01-18 03:38:13

I still keep getting fired upon every time I try an target the enemies in the game.
but no matter what speed I go to like fast or slow the enemies will ambush me even When I'm trying to aim my laser so that I can fire upon them.
should I either shoot before or after the ship is in my radar or not?
the spawning rate is way too fast and I wish that the enemies would not move so that I can practice my aiming and fireing.

2019-01-18 07:13:12

I've not used the worm, good lord, if it only has 2 fuel, that means that you will pretty much have to refuel at every system. Remember, there are two ways to refuel. Buy it at planets and stations, or harvest it from stars, minus the neutron, which contains no fuel material.

The combat area of the game is where I have my most gripes, and its not just the high spawn rate, but yes that needs balanced out. It's also how ships can just hit you whenever they please, its like the AI has no fudge factor. They could be missing and there is just no sound for a miss, but if so, that's a grave oversight on the developer's end. No offense meant, but you really should hear when people are firing at you, even if that is not a hit, that way you know you're in serious trouble. When you hear what a few in the community have dubbed the, "parrot sound", which is the incoming fugitive, you have no way of really knowing how far he is. You can get that information by targeting him, which means center the ship in your stereo field, and you could also hear the engines, and where they correspond to the radar and so forth, but if they're firing their weapon, it needs to make sound regardless of whether it his or not. I don't know if that is the case, though I've wondered for a few days now.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-01-18 07:43:42

Is there any option to get the laser amplifier back after buying a new ship? I bought a constrictor and it would be cool to get this with laser amplifier otherwise the old ship is much better.