2019-01-15 11:43:08 (edited by magurp244 2019-01-16 04:27:31)

I recently encountered someone who was interested in an accessible password manager, so thought I'd share if anyone else was interested. Digging around in some comment sections I came across [KeePass], its free, open source, multiplatform, and offline only, which depending on how you look at it is much more secure. I ran some tests on it and it seems completely accessible with NVDA, when first loaded you'll need to create a password protected data vault, therein you can store keys that contain a web address, login name, and password. You can move along the taskbar and automatically open a browser to the one in the selected key, and us an auto type option, or copy your login name or password to the clipboard. If you plan on using your passwords on a different computer you'll need to ensure that it has Keepass installed, and you can either use a USB stick or some other means to copy your data vault over.

Its also been used by some NASA agencies like C3RS and ASRS, so there's that. If anybody else has any other password managers they use or want to share, feel free.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2019-01-15 16:40:25 (edited by UltraLeetJ 2019-01-15 16:43:51)

well, I have been using last pass for two years now, accessibility has improved thanks to NVDA but it works magnificently well in android too and it syncs the vault, plus autofill in firefox is just wonderful.
not sure for the validity of the nasa claim... it would be considered a security breach now that everyone know nasa uses them for encryption ETC, wouldn't you think?
I can tell you that lastpass has been thoroughly explained and reviewed by security experts in the field
and its author has come also forward with very valid concerns from users. Its been doing well despite recent attacks.
Its also a bit more seamless than keePass as you do not need to sync or carry your encrypted vault everywhere but you can if you want to do so.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2019-01-16 04:27:48

I'm not sure if that would be considered a security breach perse, even if they knew they were using keepass that doesn't automatically give them access to their offline encrypted data vaults. Other than a dubious google ad for keepass that claims its trusted by NASA, there's a Government Furnished Computer Software report [here], last updated around, 2015 I think? It indicates a series of software packages used by a few NASA agencies, specifically [Confidential Close Call Reporting System] and the [Aviation Safety Reporting System]. Granted though this doesn't include NASA or NASA laptops themselves, so i'll correct that.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2019-01-16 05:44:39

There's Rocky's Password Manager found at http://www.rockywaters.co.uk/downloads/ … anager.php and Stascom Utilities has a password generator. You can get Stascom Utilities at https://www.stascom.co.za/stascom.html.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2019-01-16 10:57:17

KeePass is great. I'm using KeeAnywhere right now, enabling me to access my password database stored in a Dropbox account from almost anywhere, and the KeePass Touch app works great on iOS, allowing me to edit and access my passwords from the go and use them on my iPhone. It also allows to use the Apple Keyring feature, enabling Safari to autotype your username and password data on relevant pages.
Best Regards.
Hijacker

2019-01-16 15:03:14

Have any of you tried OnePassword manager? Does it accessible?

2019-01-16 21:08:29

Yep, count me in as another happy keePass user. I've been using it for about 3 years now, and I agree that the KeePass Touch app is great. I don't want to keep my vault on Dropbox, encryption or no encryption, and this is why I personally don't like cloud-based password managers.

There's also the fact that I use it to store things other than logins, such as keys for games and software that I've purchased. The beauty of having a non cloud-based solution in these circumstances is that I can install things even if I don't have an internet connection, unless the software in question has to phone home, of course. Even so, it's a good use for a password manager that I don't think a lot of people take into account. I got tired of misplacing emails, or text files with keys in them, and one day I had an aha moment and just added all of them into my KeePass vault.

As for taking your vault with you, honestly I don't see that as being that much of an issue. Flash drives are so tiny these days that they're easy to lose if you're not careful, so they're certainly portable. it also pays to keep several backups of the vault file anyway, just in case you lose one. Also, if you're going to be running KeePass on multiple computers, I'd recommend putting the portable version on the flash drive along with your vault.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2019-01-16 22:50:24

I'm using lastpass right now and I like how well it can sync but, I may switch to keypass after all these good reviews.
I use sync.com which is more secure than most cloud providers and it's quite accessible (more so than DB on the website) so that helps me feel okay syncing my vault.
I wrote about the service Right Here... if anyone is interested.