2019-01-14 14:21:12

I am trying to play the game from the beginning without any equipment, but I am confused.
I have a very small amout of fuel, so it is inpossible to do somethink.

2019-01-14 14:38:42

same here. I found a free port, but I don't seem to be able to land anywhere.

Paul

2019-01-14 14:58:53

@63 thanks dark for all the informations. This hels me a lot and now I have to practice my skills big_smile

- Eagle Ear Entertainment
YouTube
Twitch
Mastodon

2019-01-14 15:31:26

i can't play this new horizons as much as I'd love to, multitude of objects in space, I can't find the autopilot menu to select targets... or can I only choose a target destination before launching? That's weird... Besides I find myself pressing o repeatedly and it plays the jumping sound many many many times... the concept is excellent but the lack of tutorials or recordings makes it hard to grasp

ReferenceError: Signature is not defined.

2019-01-14 15:38:57

to explain jumping for those getting confused, there are two ways of moving across space fast, hyperspace jumps and overdrive.

Hyperspace is activated with the p key and jumps you to the next system,  when the auto pilot tells you to jump this is what it means.
The only thing to bare in mind is that hyperspace takes fuel, which you need  to either buy at primary planets and freeports  or pickup  inside a star as mentioned in post 61.

There is then overdrive, which is a way of moving quickly through the same system, so if your facing say an asteroid field or a nebula and the distance is in the thousands, just hold the o key down for a while to get their quickly. This is unlimited, but won't help you get to other star systems, overdrive is also useful if you don't want to leave the system but need to get out of a bad combat area in a hurry,  which happens a great deal.

hth.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-01-14 15:44:55

the one thing i love about this game is that it simulates directions and how you fly round things very well. you can easily fly round a closer object such as a star to get to a planet in the same direction. it does this really well and gives you a real feeling of space.

2019-01-14 16:24:28

Okay I  saved my game then bought a side  and pulse laser just to try out combat with the best gear.
Again, taking out one ship, no problem, but as soon as I hit one, first another, then another then another turn up to have a go, even though as I said my status is absolutely clean and I end up just as dead.

I am wondering now if there is a bug with how aggression of enemies status works, since it seems as soon as you fire your laser your fair game for everybody, indeed so much so that piracy is a pretty pointless occupation since even if you  do get a ship to drop some cargo,you can't ever pick it up without getting killed, ditto with bounty hunting.

I am also not exactly sure on all the combat sounds, in particular lasers and damage, since  while I get how targeting works (I've been  doing lots of asteroid mining), it I'm not hearing much by way of lasers effects. I get the high pitched sound when you have a foe ship targeted, and I assume the lower pitched blert blert blert means that your in someone else's sights, though  how to get out of them I'm not sure, since usually anywhere but in the middle of an asteroid, as soon as one person starts shooting everybody does.

Either I am missing a trick to how combat works, or there is a major bug with enemy aggression, or possibly both.

Okay, I'll stop winjing about this and just go back to the save file with my cobra and try and earn enough to give robot mining a go.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-01-14 16:42:28

Oh man couldn't this game have waited another week before being released?  I couldn't help myself last night.  I said I was going to try it out for just a few minutes and I was up till 3 blowing up evil little fugitives and asteroids!  Now I'm going to be tired on my first day of classes. lolol

@dark:  I haven't had any of these issues with combat that you've been describing.  What I tend to do is if I hear an enemy warning sound, I turn to it, slow down to 0, and shoot it down.  I don't really know how to evade, or if it is even possible/realistic for that matter.  I just make sure they die before I do.
I'd say it's actually almost too easy to escape a fight, given that you can just tap o and be on your way. 
There was more I wanted to respond to, but I've gotta run!
Awesome job on the game!

I'm probably gonna get banned for this, but...

2019-01-14 17:43:25

Any idea how robot mining works?
I bought a miner, bought a license and installed the miner  on a planetuid. Made some bigger jumps and returned later but there was nothing for me to harvest.

2019-01-14 17:48:40

New Horizons is a leap forward from my previous game, Treasure Islands, but some people might find that a useful intro to the menu system.
The autopilot menu is accessible via the pause menu, accessed by pressing space, when in space.
If there are any specific piloting keys that you don't like, they can be redefined via the main menu, and will be saved as preferences.
There are 7 small text files containing instructions and help, in a folder called guides.
Be aware that if you hit p to hyperspace, then the vortex may vanish before you reach it, if you are moving too slowly.
It's also possible, when in the atmosphere, to follow a departing ship and slip through its vortex, if you are quick enough.
And its also possible to project a vortex in front of an approaching craft, forcing it to hyperspace before you follow it through.
I'm really not sure why Dark is being picked on by my game.
If you are bounty hunting early on, even with armour, you will take damage. So a hit and then run to a freeport for repairs.
Maybe its a spoiler, but if you want to practice pirating then do it in the capital system.
No pirates will turn up and only your target will become agressive. Pick on small ships too, like ophidians and sidewinders.
The laser inhibitor should stop you from hitting others, although they may just get in the way too much.
On the subject of updates, I am looking at adding courier jobs as an alternative source of income. As well as other tweaks.
I will have to think harder about moons and factions. The program is getting big, by my standards. In fact it's the biggest I've written.
I am itching to add another minor mission. The more people like it, the more I feel obliged to make changes. But I need my sanity too.

2019-01-14 17:56:41

Hi firefly
The rate at which an automated mine produces minerals varies randomly, determined when its deployed.
But after 3 or 4 jumps you should see at least one unit available for collection, via the autopilot menu.
The location information in the status page provides info on minerals present in the system, to help choose a location.
I've tested a few mines, and you should get something out.

2019-01-14 18:11:31

Hi.
As I am playing from the beginning I dont have alot of many and fuel, so I dont know where to land in order to sell godies.
I want to purchase more fuel and any equipment to my ship but I dont have any idea how to earn money.

2019-01-14 18:13:18

I am starting at akkadia faction

2019-01-14 18:13:41

any tips and trick for trading? , it's kindda hard without a rumor system in other trading game haha, I have to check every planet and free ports

2019-01-14 18:29:45

@mojsior as to where to sell stuff, minerals and gasses like the ones you  get from asteroids or nebulae can be sold at freeports, common goods like coffee toys etc can be sold at primary planets, and illegal goods can be sold at zokolo stations, get the directions for these from the "ask advice menu"

No need to buy fuel, just head into a star and refuel from there.

@Freeman69, as far as expantions go, I love the idea of courier missions going from place to place, indeed this is the type of game that can always be expanded. I do think though that perhaps a different scan sound for collectables might be helpful, especially when mining or shooting up other ships big_smile.
Thanks again for the awesome game.Ah, I believe i have solved the problem with combat and why everyone hated me big_smile.

It was Aaron77's comment about standing still. The problem I was having is I was always trying combat at a fast speed since I tended to assume that you'd be better moving quickly and trying to avoid, also I've generally found that for asteroid mining a speed of 7 works.

What was happening is I'd inevitably move to one place while under attack, which would then spawn other attackers and so on.

As soon as I basically stopped moving and concentrated on blasting I suddenly became a one cobra fleet of destruction, I've not even had to buy too much extra armour since usually I can knock off other shipsn fairly short order

Apologies for my earlier frustrations, i did actually suspect something might be wrong somewhere.

As far as automated mines go, I've got a couple going at the moment, once you buy or loot a robot miner, just look for an uninhabited planetoid and drop it off. You'll need to pay 1000 credits for the license when you start, but after this you can head back and load up once your robot is going, you can always see how your mines are doing and also set them as nav points  the auto pilot menu.

2019-01-14 18:37:56

Let me try to set a few things straight, because I've been reading some things I'd classify as misconceptions about the way things work. OK, let's start out with how to navigate in-system. As Dark pointed out in a previous post, this is your O key. If you turn towards a star, planet, or basically anything and center it, you'll be able to press R to get a range to said object. If you then press and hold O, you'll start skipping rapidly across the system towards the object. Indeed, you can press R whilst continuing to hold O and see your range dropping quickly. If another object comes in front, or you enter too close, you'll stop, and hear a message about can't jump (object). I've heard other space games call this mass locking, since your drive's capabilities are being cancelled out due to the mass of nearby objects.

Before covering inter-system navigation, I want to talk about refueling. You usually won't need to buy fuel. You can acquire it from the corona of stars. Just listen as you scan for the names (I recommend putting NVDA to sleep, this helps with several aspects), and you'll hear medium, red dwarf, etc. Don't fly in neutron stars expecting to get fuel though. You fly in, stop, get fuel (the plonk sound), wait for maximum fuel, turn and fly out. Optionally, and this is what I do, I will fly in, and sort of take a lateral approach so I stay in the corona, and out of the danger zone, then I'll fly out. This is kind of making a 3 sided square, except with crude angles.

Onto navigating between systems. This isn't a game where you can create your own artificial wormholes that lead where ever you want. Your vortexes lead in the direction you point, which means, if you turn autopilot off, you will hear directions, turn to one, hit C and you'll see the system. Turn more, hit C again, and you'll hear different information. You'll end up wherever the C key says is your neighbor. In other words, each vortex jump is one sector away. So, if you're going to be making a trip to a system 14 sectors away, this means that you need to make 14 separate jumps, which means you need to manage your fuel. When you run low, stick around in a system, find a star, and go fill up. In Elite:Dangerous, you'd extend your fuel scoop, and enter the star, in this one its automatic, just enter the corona.

You can plot your own waypoints and return to them using autopilot. You can also ask for directions at a free port or planet. When you do, that is automatically entered in your autopilot. When you launch, you'll hear the turning sound in your left or right ear. Once that's done, you'll hear jump now. So you hit P to jump.

Making long journeys is mostly a fuel management game. I wouldn't go to like 0 and then fill up, in case you have fugitives on you as soon as you turn up.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-01-14 18:59:30

Hey guys, please help me to find a word that describes how this game sounds properly, then I'll post it here! big_smile

2019-01-14 19:10:28

is the economy dynamic? or static? certainly in the original elite it was more static in my opinion. you could easily work out trade routes because apart from the odd price change you always new where you would make a profit.
like the new missions ideas freedom. this game is a true master peace.

2019-01-14 19:21:54

Hi.
Darn, this game is adicting I have to say, even though i didn't come to do anything till now because I was playing around with the navigation system.

I due have some questions though.

Yes, I am not really familiar with stars and their layout, so what is the corona of a star, how do I get into it and not in the danger zone?
Also, when I receive an autopilot destination and launch, when the autopilot turns me into the direction where I need to go and hit r, I often don't hear anything, no target distance or what ever.

Does, when the ask for advice tells me a location is 2 way,  mean that it is 2 sectors away, so I would need to do 2 vortecs jumps?

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2019-01-14 19:33:59

Correct regarding the two jumps. As for the corona, really in real life, if any of our rockets like the falcon 9 entered the corona of a star, boom bam gone. I don't know how accurate this is, but I imagine the corona in the game to be a larger circle, and the danger done radiating outward from the center, another circle, so two concentric rings. I just try to skip along the outer edge.

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-01-14 19:36:29

@simba, the corona of a star is a layer of defuse gas  around the outside of the star.
In terms of this game, when your in the corona it means your near the star, too close to jump or use overdrive, but not inside where you can refuel.

You'll know your inside the star when you hear "entering danger zone"

Myself, what I do is centre the ponk ponk sound and drive into the danger zone. Inside the danger zone are things called cmb's (I'm not sure what that means), which will damage your ship if you hit them, but just like asteroids or cargo canisters you will pick tthese up in your forward scanner so can avoid them.
When I hear "max fuel" I then slow the engines down to zero, and turn around until I get the chime which says I'm on the closest route to the edge of the object, I then open up the throttle and head directly out.

With the auto pilot, yes, when it says "asteroid field 2" that means going through two systems, i.e two hyperspace jumps .
Remember, that as Ironcross said earlier, hyperspace jumps are directional, so the auto pilot will need to face you in the right direction to jump before you press the p key, you can hear the sound for when it is turning your ship in the learn game sounds menu, of course the field won't show up until your in the right system, which is likely why sometimes when you jump there is nothing in front of you, but you know when your there since the auto pilot will say "fly to destination" and you'll find the object in front of you with the r key.

Hth.

2019-01-14 19:36:52

Sorry for the double post, but I'm starting to agree with Dark more and more regarding combat. While I don't get ganged up on if I take out someone trying to take me out, I do have to literally run from everyone, and I'd say about 3 out of every 5 sectors I am in has a fugitive. It doesn't matter what I do, they will track me into stars, into atmospheres, into fields, etc. If I hit O to skip across the sector, he'll catch up like 5 seconds later, its really annoying. Since I have no way of sizing up an enemy to see how strong he is against me, I tend to just run. I get that I'm not gonna be able to be Billy Badass out of the gate and kill everything, but like, I think the incidents of fugitives is a bit high right now.

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-01-14 20:35:35

@Ironcross since I realized that staying still is the key to winning combat I'm getting on waaaay better.
First, you don't actually need to be a fugitive at all, just don't fire on either vipers or worms and you'll be fine, and really there is no need to since firing at pretty much anything else is okay and you get plenty of loot from other ships.

Basically, the more you move, the more ships you see, with less in some sectors than others. In higher danger sectors you see more fugitives and pirates who'll fire on you straight off, so unless you've only got a couple of ships on your tale and can take them out better to run than fight, pus hitting things for bounties is a nice way to make cash even if you don't have time to pick up the loot (I once got over 1000 credits off one bounty).

I've also noticed that certain places have more ships, Terran type planets tend to get more, whilst asteroid fields  stars have less  average, but since I've never been a fugetive it likely doesn't matter.

As regards ship strengths, with the military laser you can take on most things, though beware of thargoids, if you  to a ship show room on a primary planet you can get a good idea of relative ship strengths, especially if you check the stats.

2019-01-14 20:38:42

Also, I'll throw this out there. Don't be afraid to carry 'dummy' cargo.

What do I mean?

Wel, this is one trick I use for pirates. It doesn't work all the time, but.....

Get into a system with pirates and eject enough cargo to get their attention, they'l go for it, you gun them down while they go for your cargo. Collect all the cargo. Repeat. Using a mix of that and staying stil, I took out 6 enemies without taking too much damage. That being said, I need to not try soloing an entire system.

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2019-01-14 20:42:38

One more...I will say the above trick neds the Sidewindr and pulse laser for maximum effectiveness....but...it *is* possible to do with the starrting gear if you get insanely good and things line up right. With that trick, a Sidewinder and a pure combat mentality.....I've been able to take out 3 or 4 ships at a time by luring them in, waiting, and picking them off.

@Dark: Fugitives are good, but 1k creds? I'm sort of there, though I'm annoyed. I went to get one, got lined up, hit p instead of I and jumped away. Arck....there goes 1k creds....

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers