2019-01-07 04:20:00

so, i want to learn c++ and my computer is not that powerful, and everyone recommends vs, but vs for some reason, crashes, or for some odd reason, overheats the computer and makes it turn off, so are there any other less resource consuming ides that i can use, i am not asking for much, i just want something that can compile and run my programs, so if there is anything please tell me, thanks

2019-01-07 10:09:33

Well, I myself am not using any IDE to support my development, i'm just using the classy Notepad or some other alternatives like Notepad2. You could do so yourself, the tricky part would be the compilation steps then. You can use Visual Studio to compile from the command line executing the cl.exe tool from the Developers Console, or you could install any other compiler and run it from the command line, like Mingw, CLANG or whatever. Using an environment like Cygwin or even the Windows Subsystem for Linux would be even more amazing, it simplifies things alot.
Best Regards.
Hijacker

2019-01-07 12:04:40

You can use GCC to compile the C++ code. ALso, codeblocks is not that resource intensive.

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2019-01-14 00:34:55

I prefer devCPP. NO problem with nvda. Easy to develop.

2019-01-14 01:42:40

DevC++ is horribly out of date. The last time it was updated was in 2005. I doubt it runs the latest GCC, and if your going to be using C++11, C+=14 or C++17, you'll need something like visual studio.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-01-14 09:32:38

I'd have to say vs code. I love it, its fast, doesn't eat your system resources, and while it only comes with two supported languages out of the box (Javascript and Typescript), it has an extension marketplace where you can install support for anything. The extensions aren't just there to add language support, there are also tools and utilities as well, such as a remote sftp sync one.

Three accessibility concerns, one of which I would consider a problem if I hadn't found a workaround. The first being that when moving via words, it repeats words. This, I've been told, has to do with the way the cursor actually tracks from start to end of word in the editor. The second isn't their fault and isn't really an accessibility issue as such, but it won't work with indent nav, which makes me a sad panda. It will work with NVDA's report indent by speech, tones, or speech and tones features though. The thinrd is the most serious, and the one you're gonna have to do something about if you don't want to be alt F4ing your client all the time. Using alt tab, or just leaving the client open enough can cause NVDA to not be able to focus in the window. It gets stuck, and moving about, using NVDA control shift space, or trying to switch into and out of focus mode do not help. What you need to do is open the key binding file. It's json, but it can be edited from within vs code. You create a key binding in there, actually, so you don't have to look it up, let me actually get the entire binding. OK, you enter this in between the square brackets of the json:

{
        "key": "ctrl+r",
        "command": "workbench.action.reloadWindow",
        "when": "editorTextFocus"
    }

You can make the key whatever you want, just make sure it doesn't do anything useful before you override it with what you put here. As it stands, control R did do something, but I commandeered its usefulness for this endeavor instead. Now, if that happens to you where NVDA gets stuck, all you have to do is hit the key you associated with that action and it will take a second or so and come back. Not perfect, but its a workaround.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-01-14 17:00:27

The problem with VSCode is that you still need to install compiler packages; it does not come with any, if memory serves.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-01-14 18:37:23

I heard that you con't read the code in the editor window in VS code? is this true? did it used to be true and they fixed it?
looking for a smaller less resource intensive IDE in a vm rather than full VS.

I don’t believe in fighting unnecessarily.  But if something is worth fighting for, then its always a fight worth winning.
check me out on Twitter and on GitHub

2019-01-14 18:41:14

@ethin this is true.
@Kyleman123 It is perfectly readable.

I also should have clarified this point in my previous post, but vs code is more of a code editor than an IDE, even though it has a lot of features.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-01-14 20:09:18

I've never gotten it to work for me. So I just use VSCode, works better. Takes up more space, but I hardly ever run the full IDE, just use the command line tools.

My Github