2019-01-12 15:37:09

@拓海
Check the necromancer in res/rules.txt

speed_on_terrain marsh 1 ford 1

1 is the final speed. It isn't a coefficient.

@Kyleman123
About GitHub, I will probably update the repository soon.

Before that, I must edit the "read me" file to make it clear that I won't probably accept code contributions any more, so people won't waste their time on it. In summary, feel free to experiment on the code base, but don't feel obliged to contribute back.

About the AI, you might find AI2 a convenient start because the code base is much smaller.

2019-01-12 18:30:53

@soundmud any particular reason why you wish to stop accepting code contributions. There still are many people interested in soundrts and many might want to check out new things if they get added.
I don't see contributing as waisting my time. If i did. I wouldn't contribute.

I don’t believe in fighting unnecessarily.  But if something is worth fighting for, then its always a fight worth winning.
check me out on Twitter and on GitHub

2019-01-12 18:44:46 (edited by Kyleman123 2019-01-12 18:45:20)

What do you mean by AI2? I can't find a file like that.

I don’t believe in fighting unnecessarily.  But if something is worth fighting for, then its always a fight worth winning.

2019-01-12 19:18:20 (edited by Tuohai 2019-01-12 19:22:14)

ok, I understanded.
There maybe be a cover_on_terrain keyword in the future.
There is also an interesting design.
For example archer:
Invisible_on_terrain 1 forest.
Automatically invisible after entering the forest.

SoundMUD wrote:

@拓海
Check the necromancer in res/rules.txt

speed_on_terrain marsh 1 ford 1

1 is the final speed. It isn't a coefficient.

@Kyleman123
About GitHub, I will probably update the repository soon.

Before that, I must edit the "read me" file to make it clear that I won't probably accept code contributions any more, so people won't waste their time on it. In summary, feel free to experiment on the code base, but don't feel obliged to contribute back.

About the AI, you might find AI2 a convenient start because the code base is much smaller.

2019-01-13 04:02:50

@Kyleman123
It's hard to explain.

About AI2, it's the file called worldplayercomputer2.py
It's available on GitHub. I have just updated the repository.

2019-01-13 05:08:54

To weaken the remote unit, try this design.
For example, every time an archer attacks, it consumes a little mp, Equivalent to the consumption of arrow.
Wood is consumed when restoring mp.
An archer has 20 arrows and an arrow requires 2 wood.
Catapult needs a third resource, stone.
Each catapult can carry 30 stones and is replenished with stone resources after consumption.
It is ok to consume any resources, so writing mods is very flexible.

This design may prevent the remote unit from being too strong.

2019-01-13 10:08:02

@拓海
remember if you want stack two instructions (like go & upload) on the second action, you've use shift+enter, not enter.

I say this, because you'r post about the boat commands; you with any transport unit can do that. Before use upload / download, first you have to move (or give the move instruction) the unit to destination point before, and mark the order with the stack modifier.

So, sound  invalid command when you press unload not in the final square, is absolute correct.

and about your idea of use amunition, or cost for the attacks, o no, please no.
This is a RTS game, like SC or WC; don't add these types of mechanism; only contribute to move out the game from it's genre.

and @soundmud

About the code, do you updated the github code with C versions updates? And whitch problem do you have in the past with contributions? they wasted your code before? or you have a lot of plans and a complete roadmap, so pull request can disturbe your plans?

Is interesting read that, because the game is open source, but... semy open, only for the people can read the code, modify that and learn from it, but can't contribute to you to make grow the game.

So, will be really interestin read some more about your posture about that; only from curious, and of course, see the point of view from one of the best (is my opinion) developers that this comunnity have.

I can ear so repeated, but you're the only dev that have more than 11 years developing a great game engine.

Thanks so far!

2019-01-13 10:26:04 (edited by Tuohai 2019-01-13 10:32:55)

I mean:
The unit is already in the boat, I want to uninstall the unit to the specified destination.
So usually, we use the arrow keys to find the destination, then press a to find the uninstall and press Enter, so the boat will unload the unit after it reaches the destination.
But can't do this now.
In addition, increasing the resource consumption during the attack does not affect it as an rts game. This function can be added or not added when writing mod.
If there are other solutions, then of course it will be very good.

sanslash332 wrote:

@拓海
remember if you want stack two instructions (like go & upload) on the second action, you've use shift+enter, not enter.

I say this, because you'r post about the boat commands; you with any transport unit can do that. Before use upload / download, first you have to move (or give the move instruction) the unit to destination point before, and mark the order with the stack modifier.

So, sound  invalid command when you press unload not in the final square, is absolute correct.

and about your idea of use amunition, or cost for the attacks, o no, please no.
This is a RTS game, like SC or WC; don't add these types of mechanism; only contribute to move out the game from it's genre.

and @soundmud

About the code, do you updated the github code with C versions updates? And whitch problem do you have in the past with contributions? they wasted your code before? or you have a lot of plans and a complete roadmap, so pull request can disturbe your plans?

Is interesting read that, because the game is open source, but... semy open, only for the people can read the code, modify that and learn from it, but can't contribute to you to make grow the game.

So, will be really interestin read some more about your posture about that; only from curious, and of course, see the point of view from one of the best (is my opinion) developers that this comunnity have.

I can ear so repeated, but you're the only dev that have more than 11 years developing a great game engine.

Thanks so far!

2019-01-13 10:37:57 (edited by Tuohai 2019-01-13 10:39:28)

When you use the arrow keys to navigate the waterway map, there are no obstacles at the beginning and the end.
For example, a 3 by 3 ocean map, the arrow keys can be moved directly from a1 to c1, or a1 is moved to a3.
There should be obstacles to the map boundaries.
This hope to solve.

2019-01-13 18:21:39

@拓海 hmmm so again, use the commands that I said on the previous posts.

If you have the units in the boat, so. first, give to the boat the move order at the destination plase, and next, move to the download location, find with a the download instruction and pres shift + enter; so, with that the boat first reach the destination, and after that perform the download order.

About the resource consumption, is OK for for some skills or something similar, but no for regular attacks.

so @soundmud is possible now create skills that consumes mana over time?
Like the cloak skill of terrans, that consumes  mana during the skill is active.

So, that is allfor now smile

thanks for all!

2019-01-14 02:11:23

It should not be so troublesome.
When I use other transport units, I can follow the method I said.
For example flying machine.

sanslash332 wrote:

@拓海 hmmm so again, use the commands that I said on the previous posts.

If you have the units in the boat, so. first, give to the boat the move order at the destination plase, and next, move to the download location, find with a the download instruction and pres shift + enter; so, with that the boat first reach the destination, and after that perform the download order.

About the resource consumption, is OK for for some skills or something similar, but no for regular attacks.

so @soundmud is possible now create skills that consumes mana over time?
Like the cloak skill of terrans, that consumes  mana during the skill is active.

So, that is allfor now smile

thanks for all!

2019-01-14 13:14:28

hI get a bunch of errors when running from source. I am running this on a mac obviously. I would try and fix it but not sure exactly what needs to go into the .ini file. I can make a github issue if you would prefer that.

Kyles-MacBook-Pro:soundrts kyle$ python2 soundrts.py
INFO:root:'verbosity' option is missing (will be: 'menu_changed,unit_added,unit_complete,scout_info,food,resources,resource_exhausted')
INFO:root:'fpct_coef' option is missing (will be: 2.3)
INFO:root:'fpct_max' option is missing (will be: 3)
INFO:root:'require_humans' option is missing (will be: 0)
WARNING:root:Error in /Users/kyle/.SoundRTS unstable/SoundRTS.ini.
WARNING:root:made a copy of the old config file
WARNING:root:Rewriting /Users/kyle/.SoundRTS unstable/SoundRTS.ini...
pygame 1.9.4
Hello from the pygame community. https://www.pygame.org/contribute.html
ERROR:root:error
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Users/kyle/git/soundrts/soundrts/clientmain.py", line 278, in main
    init_media()
  File "/Users/kyle/git/soundrts/soundrts/clientmedia.py", line 44, in init_media
    minimal_init()
  File "/Users/kyle/git/soundrts/soundrts/clientmedia.py", line 35, in minimal_init
    voice.init(config)
  File "/Users/kyle/git/soundrts/soundrts/lib/voice.py", line 30, in init
    self.channel = VoiceChannel(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/Users/kyle/git/soundrts/soundrts/lib/voicechannel.py", line 21, in __init__
    tts.init(jaws=config.jaws, srapi=config.srapi, srapi_wait=config.srapi_wait)
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'jaws'
ERROR: error
  File "/Users/kyle/git/soundrts/soundrts/clientmain.py", line 278, in main
    init_media()
  File "/Users/kyle/git/soundrts/soundrts/clientmedia.py", line 44, in init_media
    minimal_init()
  File "/Users/kyle/git/soundrts/soundrts/clientmedia.py", line 35, in minimal_init
    voice.init(config)
  File "/Users/kyle/git/soundrts/soundrts/lib/voice.py", line 30, in init
    self.channel = VoiceChannel(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/Users/kyle/git/soundrts/soundrts/lib/voicechannel.py", line 21, in __init__
    tts.init(jaws=config.jaws, srapi=config.srapi, srapi_wait=config.srapi_wait)
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'jaws'
  File "soundrts.py", line 5, in <module>
    clientmain.main()
  File "/Users/kyle/git/soundrts/soundrts/clientmain.py", line 289, in main
    close_media()
  File "/Users/kyle/git/soundrts/soundrts/clientmedia.py", line 73, in close_media
    sound_stop()
  File "/Users/kyle/git/soundrts/soundrts/lib/sound.py", line 251, in sound_stop
    tts.stop()
  File "/Users/kyle/git/soundrts/soundrts/lib/tts/__init__.py", line 57, in stop
    if not is_available: return
NameError: global name 'is_available' is not defined

2019-01-14 15:02:07

@Kyleman123
I have pushed a potential bugfix to GitHub.

2019-01-14 18:20:43

Thanks. that fixed it.

2019-01-21 09:05:23

I haven't been able to get onto the forum for a while, so I have several things.
Could you make it so you can only build on paths when there is meadows, so maybe when there is a meadow terrain? Or alternatively, maybe a no building parameter you can specify on a map that does not allow building anything on squares that it is true for. That might be more flexible.
And would it be possible to allow a map to define its own editor_palette? I tried creating one within a ui folder for a map but it didn't seem to work. I like the editor, but it would be nice to have your own options particular to each map.
Also with the editor, would it be possible to allow you to specify the number of meadows in a square? Maybe the number could be set in the console and space could be used to apply that number to each square it is used on, or something similar to how terrain is applied at the moment.
One more editor thing, could you make it so that you can cycle through the available types of exits (like path and bridge), and pressing the keys to add exits to a square then uses that exit.
There were other things that also came up while we were playing, but I can't think of them at the moment, I'll post them when they come up again.
Just also wanted to say we really enjoy the latest changes, the water adds a whole new dimension to the game and it's fun to play on island maps where you need transports to get your units around.

2019-01-22 00:42:44

What files are required to run the server? I'm trying to minimize the amount of stuff I put on my server. Is it just the .py file or are any other files required?

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2019-01-22 05:52:46

Sometimes the units on the square will be inexplicably stuck.
This is the problem I have recently said, it should be:
Unit players after the resurrection cannot be operated.
This is the correct way to express it.

2019-02-14 21:23:12

Hi again. Just tonight I encountered a problem with SoundRTS1.2C11. It said it can't get my IP address from some place, and that it couldn't contact the metaserver to find the list. Hence why I'm posting this. Has the game maybe been updated that I'm not following on the mailing list or this topic? I don't see any announcement of Soundrts1.2 continuous 12 so not sure why suddenly my server can't access all the things it needs.

To know, and not to do, is not to know.

2019-02-14 21:53:11

I dunno, but it may be possible. Try to download it again.

2019-02-14 22:00:15

Sorry for double posting, Yes, I take that back, 1.2C12 is up. Look in post 1, open the blog / log / developer log thing and find it there.

2019-02-15 02:46:54

I can't wait for 1.2c13

2019-02-27 15:02:18 (edited by Chris 2019-02-27 15:03:04)

Suggestion: Please add the ability to check if a unit is carrying other units and how many are being carried. For instance, moving to a flying machine could say something like "flying machine 1 holding 8 of 8 units" or "flying machine holding 2 of 8", etc.

What are these different mods? I know teleportation restores the teleportation ability to mages, but what are flying town hall and orc? DO all players have to be using the same mod when connecting to a multiplayer server? What happens if the mods don't match?

2019-02-27 21:23:45

I'm pretty sure they do.
A mod defines the game play rules.
If different mods were allowed, you could define a unit with 100000 health in one mod, set that mod as you're preferred mod and instant own anyone.

2019-03-01 04:08:55

It looks like players using different mods can't see each other when connecting to the same server. That's good to know. Speaking of mods, the flying town hall is awesome and orc would be as well, except for the fact that you can use dark archers. They should be removed because even a small group of dark archers can massacre an army of orcs. It's extremely unfair! I destroyed over 300 grunts and about 10 buildings using 18 dark archers.

Here's another feature suggestion. Please add a key to check the players on the server. Currently, this information is only spoken when you first connect.

2019-03-01 04:53:06

@chris flying townall and ork, are only test mod, not mod to play seriously with them.
The intention of each one is show to the modders how to add new races (ork mod) or how to create updating, and moving buildings (flying townall) like the buildings of terrans in starcraft.

If you want serious mods that work to play, use crazy mod, or blitzcrieg.