2019-01-10 22:33:12 (edited by defender 2019-01-10 23:33:42)

This is a very important feedback survey, as many people have been experiencing more and more problems over the last year and a half especially.
And don't worry, you don't need to be a software dev or NVDA contributor to explain your problem either, just give them the information you have in the way you see it, and let them figure out the specifics of why it's happening. They'll look for patterns in this data anyway and dig deeper into what ever gets mentioned the most regardless.
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp … Q/viewform
Remember, you don't need an issue number and providing one is totally optional, but if you want to make it easier for them, then you can check out this page to see if your problem is already known, it has a search feature and category system (labels) as well.
https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues … ments-desc
Please repost this to other sites where it might be of use, the more responses the better!

2019-01-10 23:06:56

Nice. I love when a company responds to user complaints like that. Hope as many people as possible fill it.

2019-01-11 00:18:31

What problems am I supposed to be having?  I imagine a ton of problems have arisen because of windows 8 and 10, honestly.  Still, I went ahead and threw in everything that applied to me.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2019-01-11 01:10:23

I filled it out as well. My issues concern Braille, since it's the weakest aspect of NVDA.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2019-01-11 03:25:45

Happily running version 2016.4, in my opinion, a perfectly good, usable version of NVDA, at least for simple, basic screenreading. I also haven't updated because of all these problems I keep hearing people talk about. That, and I really am not a fan of the new menu/settings interface. But what am I missing by choosing not to upgrade? Anything good been added that's worth putting up with some occasional bugs for?

-
That Guy. Serving those people since that time. To contact, use that info.

2019-01-11 06:34:15

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.  Filled it out.

2019-01-11 07:09:05

Done, biggest issues are performance related for me.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-01-11 10:50:12

Hi,
I filled it. I think there should also be a section for minor bugs which sometimes are more problematic than the major ones. For instance, the inconsistencies NVDA faces when navigating on the web with navigation quick keys is nerve-racking.

2019-01-11 12:09:02

I filled it, problems like in post 7, performance issues, lag at start and things like that.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2019-01-11 14:27:38

hi,
The biggest is performance issues, probably due to lack of UIA support on many office apps, and an insistance to support legacy technologies.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2019-01-11 15:57:23

The biggest issue is lag in office with large documents, the second biggest one is navigation quick keys for me.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2019-01-11 17:42:20

hi
Just took the survey. I don't know where this problem comes from, but I'm having huge lags wen working with task manager and file explorer.

:)

2019-01-11 17:56:19

Comes from annoying UIA bugs. Personally I can't wait for Narrator to grow up even more, will have the best performance. Although I'm curious as some people mention here, what are the issues with quick nav? Works normally here.

2019-01-11 18:43:53

I don't know if its coincidence, or if they fixed it, but potential good news on the task manager front. In windows build 17763.253, I've noticed it loads up right away.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-01-11 21:13:29

Well, not exactly right away, in my case. But I'll admit, it sure is faster than it used to be. Still can't beat the old windows 7 task manager though

-
That Guy. Serving those people since that time. To contact, use that info.

2019-01-12 08:05:17

Legacy support is unfortunately pretty important for developing countries, where NVDA has always mostly been aimed.
And yeah I wish their was a minor bugs section too.

2019-01-12 08:35:28

hi,
However, there should be a limit to legacy support. NVDA addition of SSE2 instruction sets Joseph put forward was blocked because people who had 2004 era AMD and intel processors couldn't be able to use it. I think this population is irrelevent in considerations. You should not run modern applications on such a processor.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2019-01-12 08:36:26

also Burak, the office lag can be fixed by enabling UIA support in the NVDA python console.

2019-01-12 10:09:43

The two most major issues for me are the way NvdA occasionally decides to randomly not interact with windows explorer, which can be a pain when doing backups, and the fact that it doesn't interact at all with the quick clean feature of C Cleaner, which is very annoying since quick clean is the way to remove trackers, also its down right weird given that in the rest of C cleaner NVdA is fine.

With lag I don't notice a problem accept on my laptop, and that's usually because as I only use my laptop ocasionally when I'm at my parents, its always got several weeks worth  updates to get done.

Oh and btw thumbs up for pointing out the survey.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-01-14 19:17:16

post 4, what is the weakest aspect of braille? I have worked successfully with the liblouis team and we can probably start from there. Though it will take a while to resolve, since NVDA always uses the next to latest version of it. Though if you haven't already, this addon can solve many things and do other very helpful ones.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2019-01-14 20:40:37

An issue I've found is that at times, NVDA will just lag intensely. Speech refuses to interrupt when I hit control, and it won't even interrupt itself with other words. For example, I type with characters turned on. I'm a writer so I like to hear what I'm typing. And when the characters won't interrupt each other, it gets really frustrating. So I restart NVDA... which fixes it for about three minutes. Then it's back to the same old thing. A total computer restart is often required.

Heroes need foes to test them. Not all teachers can afford to be kind, and some lessons must be harsh.

2019-01-15 01:09:19

Same thing happens to me but only after a few minutes of not doing anything, be that using say all on some text, listening to an audio book, or just walking away.
Maybe it's your screen dimming or your drive turning off that does it?

2019-01-15 07:12:42

NvdA 18.4.1 changes guide wrote:

• NVDA no longer fails to track focus in File Explorer and other applications using UI Automation when another app is busy (such as batch processing audio). (#7345)

Obviously they were listening to me about the file explorer thing big_smile.

As to lag I've noticed that on some machines and not others. My desktop tends to be fine so long as I have interupt for typed characters on (I noticed a major difference when I turned it off to play new horizons), but my laptop does have severe lag, especially  there is an updating background process, and my lady  has similar issues on her machine as well.

They do seem to be fixing errors though, I'm glad the business of saying clickable clickable clickable clickable over and over again is apparently also fixed.

Btw, one extremely miner ppeeve, when I do! donate to NvdA regularlly I  wish the button for the nag donation  whenever I install a new version didn't say "not now" I get that they have to ask for donations and I certainly don't mind donating to them,  no need to make me feel like a scrooge when I'm already donating big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)