2019-01-05 03:14:05

You know, I'm starting to really like the idea of a Pi. Now that I have a Linux VPS and am getting used to the command line, having an accessible GUI seems less and less important. i'm not saying it isn't important, because it would be good for new users or those who don't like the command line, but I'm starting to love the command line access you have in Linux. It's completely accessible because it's just text.

If you can't connect your Pi to ethernet, I'd either not get one or find an accessible GUI image that can be flashed to the card and use Wi-Fi. Has anyone else contacted the Raspberry Pi foundation about including Orca in Raspbian? They really should!

While researching things to do with my VPS, I found a couple of neat projects you can do with the Pi. First, you can host cheap network attached storage on your local network which is the primary reason I want one of these. You can also install Pi-hole to block all advertisements at the DNS level. That's badass! You can also apparently set up a VPN that triggers when you connect to a wireless network. That's also badass! This $35 computer sounds amazing!

I wish I had better access to ethernet ports. The AT&T router is shoved up against a wall and not easy to access. If I had better access to ethernet, I'd get one of these in a heartbeat!

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

Thumbs up

2019-01-05 04:38:19 (edited by angel_diva22 2019-01-05 04:38:42)

As I mentioned earlier, I have used Linux before, but yeah. I don't know how to help her from there.

Thumbs up

2019-01-05 04:39:47 (edited by magurp244 2019-01-05 04:48:06)

You can actually preconfigure the SD card image to enable wifi directly without needing an ethernet connection at all. There's a guide [here] on how to do it, and an earlier thread [here] on it. Basically you flash Raspbian Lite onto an SD card, then modify the image while the cards still in your PC to enable ssh, then you can add your network info, plug the card into the Pi, and tunnel in through wifi.

As for Orca, I think there were issues with ALSA and Pulse Audio that were causing problems, the last working solution required an external audio dongle for the Orca output to work with a Mate desktop environment, guide for thats [here]. Not sure whats going on with that, but there's also been a few problems with ALSA getting bluetooth headphones working as well.

On the flip side, I've found all my python dev tools can be easily ported over to the pi, along with OpenAL-Soft support. I've also been playing around with python based portable sonifiers similar to the Aftersight project, insert cheap webcam, a 5 dollar bluetooth controller, a pair of headphones, and a battery pack, then go for a walk, heh. A large part of what makes Raspi's so appealing isn't just the software side, but that its small, portable, can be powered by any number of cheap battery packs, and can be used to play around with all kinds of hardware like RC Cars, Drones, Robotic Arms, Computer Vision, Weather Stations, Radio Telescopes, or whatever crazy idea you happen to have at the moment.

@angel_diva22
Did you have any specific projects in mind for your friend? Or is it just setting up the environment? Raspbian Lite is basically an ARM based Debian distro.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

Thumbs up

2019-01-05 05:20:38

She  was going to use it for learning to code a website, maybe some other things she hasn't thought of yet. Does she have to install the mate desktop? Or is it already in the image?

Thumbs up

2019-01-05 05:44:37 (edited by Chris 2019-01-05 06:07:32)

Oh neat! I didn't know you could do that. Now I think I'll be getting a Raspberry Pi model 3B+. Do you still have to put the ssh file onto the SD card?

Is the Pi powerful enough to power two USB 3.0 portable hard drives? I'm thinking about using it for network attached storage, although transferring over Wi-Fi seems like a bad idea. I suppose it would be okay for reading data, but definitely not writing.

You shouldn't have to install anything if you flash the default Raspbian operating system to an SD card. If she has vision, it'll work just fine. I'm not sure if the Ubuntu Mate version has Orca. I suppose I can try once I get my Pi.

Thumbs up

2019-01-05 06:06:42 (edited by magurp244 2019-01-05 06:19:56)

@angel_diva22
Raspbian lite is just a console environment, so doesn't come with any desktop environment. NOOBS and Raspbian Stretch do, but the desktop environments aren't accessible. The guide uses Raspbian Lite and has a script you can run which installs xorg and configures everything, though again, you'll need an audio dongle for the Orca output.

@Chris
Yes, you still need to put in an ssh file on the Micro SD card, in addition to a wifi config file to enable wifi. The USB ports on the Pi are 2.0, so speed might take a hit, not sure what the setup is for external harddrives, but there are some threads [here] and [here] discussing it, depending on how many your attaching, you might want to use a powered USB hub as a go between rather than powering them straight off the pi itself. There's also a network attached storage guide [here] for the raspi 3 B+.

Thumbs up

2019-01-05 06:32:13 (edited by Chris 2019-01-05 06:32:58)

Yeah, I'm a bit disappointed that both USB and ethernet are connected to a USB 2.0 bus. NOw I'm not sure if I want one. File transfers are probably going to be slow, and even slower if I use Wi-Fi. Hmmm.

Thumbs up

2019-01-05 06:51:28

You know, there are a few other competing board out there with the Raspi. One i've heard a bit about recently is the Odroid which goes for 40$, and has USB 3.0 ports. Not sure what its accessibility is, but it can use Debian Stretch, Android, Armbian, Arch Linux, Kali, and a few others.

Thumbs up

2019-01-06 23:33:06

So far, this topic has proved interesting. I have my raspberry pi here sitting off in a corner acting as a radio link to the DStart network. Anyway, the pi I got came as a part of a kit. one of the peaces of this kit was a preloaded SD card. So once it got put together, I could hook it in and let it boot. So, I can tell you that with the right configuring before hand, you will not have to hook a networking cable into it. I personally lucked out by not having to do the configuring ahead of time, but other the other hand, the software I am running had a few access problems. Yes, the software I am running on this pi has a HTML UI that I can access from my PC, but no one had seemed to had thought about screen readers when designing the hTML UI, which means that the pages that I need to flip through is mostly accessible with a few problems that proved a bit on the painfull side. I am really really thinking about SSHing in in the future to make all needed setting changes. I wonder if anyone had thought about doing a networking router with one of these. As for the pi I have, it is a raspberry pi 0wh

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2019-01-07 00:07:15

Yeah Michelle likes hers. So far, we got the console talking in the os, but after login, nothing. And wifi won't work either, so She is having to use an ethernet cable.

Thumbs up

2019-01-07 01:37:39

Did she mention her Pi model already? Pi 0W don't have ethernet at all, only wifi and usb connection via RDS, which is pretty hard to set up if you don't know the reason of your Windows PC failing to get the drivers working...
Best Regards.
Hijacker

Thumbs up

2019-01-07 02:28:15

Some versions of Raspi's don't have wifi, which may be fortunate or not depending on your use case. When you login, is that to a desktop or the command line?

Thumbs up

2019-01-07 03:36:45 (edited by angel_diva22 2019-01-07 15:30:43)

Edit:

Forgot to mention that she logs into the console. That is all that talks.

It is the Raspberry Pi 3b plus, it is the kit from Canakit, which you can find at Amazon, or at:

http://www.canakit.com

Thumbs up

2019-01-09 00:12:09

Well, I thought I'd wait for a while to see if anyone mentioned it, but there is an image that, although it's alpha, I'm using for quite a few things, and it comes out of the box talking.
It's called F123 Light and has a few translations in other languages then English, so you'd want to make sure you got the right image.
It comes up into a menu, which uses Fenrir for the screen reader, and by default Espeak for tts.
It does offer a way to drop to the command line, and will run some graphical programs with Orca, just not the whole desktop at once.
It's a nifty mix of both, and it's aim is to be simple to use.
The link for it is:
http://public.f123.org
There's a guide that tells you how to use it, and you can get the image onto the sd card in the usual ways either from Linux or windows.
You'll want at least a 16 gig sd, I use a 32 because the Canakits I buy come with them.
I've got Slackware and Raspbian on two of them both with talking speech, but the F123 Light is the easiest to use.
These critters aren't for the faint of heart, but with a little homework before ya start, they can be fun and sometimes even useful... (grin)
Hope this helps a little.
Take care...
Cheereo!

Thumbs up +1

2019-01-09 00:36:17 (edited by Chris 2019-01-09 00:37:35)

Hmmm. I'd really like to buy one of these, but the USB 2.0 ports are hard to swallow. I want to use it as a NAS, but the ports would significantly slow down transfer speeds.

Does this F123 image support the default sound card on the Pi or must you use a USB audio device?

Thumbs up

2019-01-09 18:44:43

Ok guys, I got my pi 3 B plus, the same kit as 38, a touch case which is broken because I am an idiot and broke a side when putting together, but still looks ok.
I have an image, root.tar.gz, it is Jenux, 14.5 gb, I have my 64 gig sd xc.
Now the dumb question.
How can I flash it to a card with windows?
I can not extract to see if it is an img file.
And if I get the f123 lite, can I use win flash tool?
And what of the 2 english versions is the right one?
Thanks in advance and sorry for the dumb questions.

I am your friend, your spam bot reporter, I am what ever do you wan a be to you, but if it is not good, I will not be!
And please, give me a tumbsup, it makes me happy to see one.
Thanks.
Angel Productions, the producer of nothing :)

Thumbs up

2019-01-09 20:32:44

Hi.
@Angel
There are 2 programs I know of to flash programs to an SD card. I primarily use Etcher, because you don't have to extract the .img file when flashing it, it automatically does it for you, plus it's very easy to use.
However, if Etcher doesn't work for you, you can try another program that is very accessible called Win32 Disk Imager. Unlike Etcher, it can make a backup of your SD card's image, which is very useful. However, you will have to extract the image file before using it because it doesn't like .tar.gz files.

Thumbs up

2019-01-09 20:41:39

Yeah, my card is empty, nothing to lose there.
smile

I am your friend, your spam bot reporter, I am what ever do you wan a be to you, but if it is not good, I will not be!
Thanks.

Thumbs up

2019-01-10 01:58:44

@post 39,

Thanks for getting back to me. I've been trying to get Michelle's Pi working for a while now.

Angel wrote:

How can I flash it to a card with windows?

If you download 7zip, which you can get from http://www.7zip.org, you can extract the tar file.

Angel wrote:

And if I get the f123 lite, can I use win flash tool?

Yes, you can.

I used Win flash tool to try to flash Raspbian to Michelle's sd card, which someone tried to recommend, but I never got working on Michelle's pi.

All we could get was the console talking.

We finally figured out the wifi, but that is as far as we got. Wifi and getting the console.

Thumbs up

2019-01-10 03:27:09

Hiya there:
F123 supports the on-board card, as well as usb cards. Though I did find that one of my adapters I thought didn't work, actually did but was muted. Thank God for the command line and alsamixer. (grin)
Most of them though, should just work.
To keep the topic game related, there are in fact some games on it. Some of which are text and some in the gui environment.
My favourite game on there is the Callisti mud.

Thumbs up

2019-01-10 14:23:09

Ok, thanks alot, I will install it.
Uh, I am glad that the on board sound works, I have a pair of USB speakers, but they are pieces of crap.

Thanks.

Thumbs up