2018-11-27 06:11:03

Hello.

Do anyone have a copy of the Goalball game call Goalball 1 on 1? Do anyone know if there is another Goalball game out there for the computer?

Thanks.

2018-11-27 07:49:53

Oh, I'd love to play this. I played Goal Ball quite a bit while I was at the School for the Blind here in Texas. We even competed in different states. I think one year, my team and I got 2nd place. Man, I miss that quite a lot.

2018-11-27 08:14:58

Wasn't that an online game? I don't really remember much about it, which kind of tells me that it must not have been that great, at least not to me.

I just had a look at the Whitestick website while composing this, since that's where I recall seeing it, but it's certainly not there anymore. Either my memory is faulty, or it was taken down.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2018-11-27 11:37:07

It really wasn't that great. And a goalball game would, I think, be very difficult to program.. sound design would be simple, but the methods ofthrowing, angles of ball movement, and player positioning would be challenging. I would love to see one, but as someone who's played Goalball competetively for 13 years, not easy to imagine a decent game based on the sport.

Discord: clemchowder633

2018-11-27 14:41:05

It wasn't online, it was a cd game, and it was literally a luck of the draw point rally from what I heard. What's more, the UK audio network is now very dead.

2018-11-27 16:30:02

The UK audio network actually did host that game online, by the way. All their games were available online, though CD may have been possible too. I remember playing this one online as wel as others.

2018-11-27 16:35:42

If i learn a lot more about programming and have a professional or expierience with the game, i would be willing to make the game, i have some with the game myself so I wouldn't be in the dark completely, and i'm sure we could get sounds easily! I'll mention it wen I get more skills as a programmer.

----------
“Yes, sir. I am attempting to fill a silent moment with non-relevant conversation.”
“You don’t tell me how to behave; you’re not my mother!”
“Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.” – Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

2018-11-27 20:39:56

As I remember the uk audio network used to have an online demo of the game, but the game itself was only available on cd.
Really though  it was one of the worst audiogames I've ever played, you just hit one to or three to throw the ball, and it was random whether it went in the goal or not, then you hit 1 2  or 3 to defend and it was random whether you saved or not.

The only real difference between the cd version and  demo I played online was that the demo version cut out after two points where I think  the one on cd went up to five.

I actually used to quite like audio netowork's jungle hunt and hex games, both of which could be played online and which combined random trivia questions with weird landscapes and multiple choices. I always wanted to play their quiz dungeon game, so it was a major srprise when goalball one on one turned out to be so crappy.

As to programming a goalball game, I'd assume myself it'd sort of be a mix of showdown from pb games and that old beach volley ball game from Vipgameszone where  had to hit one or two to switch between your two players depending upon if the  ball was on the left or right of the court and in easier reach of either player.

A goalball game I'd assume would work sort of like that, perhaps with some different options for shot styles.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-11-27 20:49:31

@dark, goalball has a left and right wing, and also a center, unless it was played differently with me, i didn't  play it professionally as far as i knew so maybe it'd different? But there's different ways to throw, block, and possibly different powers of throw and mixup throws, for example before you throw you could sort of guide the general derection of where you wanted to throw, so you could hit up and right and then left to make it sort of swerve a bit? i don' tknow just thinking of ideas, but then there's power of throws, if it's a really hard throw it can possibly go over someone if it hits there hands if there blocking incorrectly, but also at the same time throwing slower can also confuse some players, just from my expirience.

----------
“Yes, sir. I am attempting to fill a silent moment with non-relevant conversation.”
“You don’t tell me how to behave; you’re not my mother!”
“Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.” – Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

2018-11-27 21:36:02 (edited by assault_freak 2018-11-27 21:37:18)

Slow throws are not common in professional goalball anymore due to various rule changes. A goalball game would have to account for three players; left, center and right, on each team. Bounce shots, curve and cut shots as well as zoning defense would have to be represented somehow, as well as the occasional scramble for the ball or retrieval if it goes forward of the team area. Not to mention if a player wanted to throw from a different position from where they originally start. You would also have to figure out a way to represent the ball coming at different angles so that you could dive in the proper direction to defend against it. And lastly, a real Goalball game could never be as slow as showdown from PB. Showdown as a game is also typically much faster and extreme than what that game showed, though it was a good start.

2018-11-27 22:17:50

A real goalball game would require an underlying physics engine and a really smart ai. Incidentally, I think that was one of the games Liam wanted to program in the early days.

2018-11-27 22:24:56

the way you could make it is like having 1 2 3 that represent the players. each player has a range of movement. Say you could move only 5 steps to the right and 5 to the left with each player. The throwing system could be represented with an holding key which grabs the ball, while the arrows, or who knows, the mouse aims the trajectory in which you want to shoot. I'd suggest having a limit of seconds for holding the ball, so the game does not become too slow.

Paul

2018-11-27 22:29:30

The real sport already has a limit. The ball has to cross the center line 10 seconds after first contact with any player on a team. And the range of movement would have to be somehow measured out to nine meters, which is how wide the real court is. You would also need to have players with certain strengths and weaknesses. Jack pretty much nailed it hwen he said the game would need an underlying physics engine. Throwing the bal itself requires three steps or four, depending on the type of player and type of shot.

2018-11-27 23:02:24

maybe a rudimental demo could be made with a grid nine by nine splitted in 3 parts.

Paul

2018-11-27 23:19:40

As someone who plays the sport and has discssed the idea of a game that realistically represents Goalball, I don't mind honestly claiming skepticism whenever the idea is brought up. But I'm open to it if someone can actually make it happen.

2018-11-28 02:30:03

I miss playing Goalball myself. I know a lot of people that would be willing to pay for this type of audio game.
The game could have preexistent teams like the different countries. It could allow you to create teams.
It could even have a season mode that would have the schedules be random each season. It could also have a expedition mode where you can pick a team to play a computer team to play against.

2019-01-10 00:34:38

I myself am a goalball player(just at the high school level, nothing professional), and I too think it would be amazing if anyone created a computer game representation of it. And yes, I'd be perfectly willing to pay somewhere around 10 to 15 dollars for that. However, that would be one heck of a hard game to program. You'd have to factor in things as simple as the boundaries of the court, compared to the direction a player throws a ball and where they are in relationship to it, in order to represent balls that are thrown out of bounds, as well as mark where both team's high ball lines and the half court line are, to more difficult things, such as good form when diving, as well as how far and how much floor you could cover from post, neiling, and standing positions. You would also somehow have to represent the various types of throws, bounce balls, half-tornadoes and spin throws, etc. Defending, I'm thinking, would be user chosen, say, you'd like to play left. It doesn't seem pheesable to have to control every player at once.
Programming a goalball game is not impossible though. It would just be really difficult. Well, of course, you could create something simple, throw ball, defend ball, press the left arrow to take a couple of steps to the left and throw again, get back to your line quickly and defend type thing. But if you truly want to recreat the amazing feeling of playing, factoring in things like diving for a ball too late and not having time enough to get into good form, subsequently allowing the ball to slam into your face, injuring you, may be something to look into. This game just has so many nuances... how good you are, how good your team is, how good the other team is, and where their weak spots are, which wouldn't exactly be easy to tell if playing on a computer. And that's another thing. Time outs. In a real game, your coach, or your player-coach, usually tell you things like that, where to throw at, what not to keep doing or what you're doing well. I don't know how in the world one would replicate that. There are also things like player substitutions you have to do too, because not everyone lasts forever, and there are also the eight-second, three-throw (which I'm not sure exists anymore), blindfold, and high ball penalty's. Those wouldn't be too hard to come up with, I guess.
Now, I'm sorry if this post looked a little nerdy, or if it seemed as though I was just trying to show off all I know about goalball lol. I'm trying to write down my opinion on the difficulty of re-creating a game with so many exentricities, as well as provide a sort of jumping off point for anyone looking to actually take this idea and run with it. I have, on numerous occasions, tried to develop a program like this, but as I'm not much of a programmer, I never got far. I still have the original structure lying around somewhere though lol.

-
That Guy. Serving those people since that time. To contact, use that info.

2019-01-10 00:51:48

If you wanted a perfect representation complete with somewhat unpredictable actions, you might want to talk to Wadson, the IBM supercomputer that won Jepardy. Lol.
Thatguy is right though, you absolutely couldn't do without an underlying ai and a really good one at that, plus the physics of the game are such that there's no hard-fast science to coding one. I suppose you could take the movement issue out of it by programming the game to work with a wiimote, but who knows how much flexibility the api for that really allows.