2019-01-09 16:35:16

Hi! Tell us what your reading and what you think of it?
I'm currently reading the Imortal Series, by Tamora Pierce, and I love them! The fact that there's alwaise women as the protagonists is a little anoying, you'd think she's trying to proove something, but there well written characters, and she's not scared to write about sex and fun stuff like that, so it makes it a little better.

----------
“Yes, sir. I am attempting to fill a silent moment with non-relevant conversation.”
“You don’t tell me how to behave; you’re not my mother!”
“Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.” – Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

2019-01-09 17:08:19 (edited by flackers 2019-01-09 17:14:38)

I just finished Under the Skin by Michel Faber. An interesting and unusual book. Nice quick fat-free read, which I always appreciate, and it didn't follow any obvious formula. It did that rare thing of getting you to empathise with a character that was essentially the bad guy, or in this case, bad girl. There wasn't  really a good guy, just one character who had higher moral standards than the others. Though these morals were viewed as privileged and naive idealism by his fellows, like they often are,

2019-01-09 18:58:50

just finished All Souls Trilogy by Deborah Harkness. It had a nice theme, combining Elizabethan era with modern times in a fantasy novel. Who knew Kit Marlowe could be a demon? smile
I'm currently reading mistborn series, but since it's final exam times, I slowed down a little.

:)

2019-01-09 22:15:49

Hi.
Wow this topic is great!
Right now I'm reading the policeman's daughter by Trudy nan boyce. It's good about a police officer named sara alt, but because it says s alt on her uniform everybody calls her salt. It's fun to read, and salt is an intriguing character.
Spoilers, her father was a police officer who had some sort of breakdown and committed suicide. She is haunted by this, and it keeps me guessing. I
End Spoilers.
It's the first book I have enjoyed for a long time. I'm always finished with the book, after I finish, I think I want to read something of sci-fi or fantasy. I still want to finish the jane hawk series by dean koontz.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2019-01-12 11:24:12

Cool, thumbs up for an interesting topic.

We usually have two books on the go, one I'm reading cooperatively with my lady, one I'm reading solo.

We're reading A closed and common orbit by Becky chambers. This is the second wayferer's novel ('m writing a review of the first at the moment).

while its not quite as good as the first, its still pretty awesome. It has two main stories running together, the first is the story of an Ai who gets a human body and all the problems she has adjusting to no longer controlling a spaceship, the second is the story of a girl from a dystopic planet who finds a spaceship  grows up refitting it. They go together, since when she grows up, said girl is the one taking care of the Ai.

its more about the characters and world than action, but is very compelling for all of that.

Solo I'm reading legends ii, the fantasy collection.
Since I try to write reviews of what I read for www.fantasybookreview.co.uk, I occasionally have to break off and read something I don't intend to review.
I don't review short story collections, since effectively you could write a separate review for each story which would be nuts.
This is particularly true of legends ii, which like the previous legends collection is a set of novellas from the masters of fantasy including Tad williams, George R R Martin, Anne McCaffery and Robin hobb.

Its cool to read  short novellas set in the same universes as series I like, especially things like Robbin Hobb's, though less cool when they're universes or authors I'm not into, like Terry brooks or Orson Scot Card's alvin maker series, still this is why I don't review short story collections since they can vary so much big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)