2019-01-07 18:22:59

I recently had to help a friend to get accustomed to iPhone and Voiceover. He just randomly saw a nearly new iPhone SE and went ahead and bought it for 140$. He had been using Android for two years. What he was impressed with was the number of shortcuts Voiceover had as compared to Talkback.
Anyway, I would say that Android is perfectly usable from my recent experience with a Samsung Galaxy A6+ 2018. My main concern with Android is the lack of a Braille Screen Input keyboard. Other than that, Android is quite good. It is good because Apple is producing phones that do not deserve the price you pay. They dropped the headphone jack, dropped the physical homebutton, then the fingerprint, then increased the price by $200 or more and made the iPhones completely unaffordable for most of the world. They praise the longevity and the support which goes up to six years, but I'm not holding onto an iPhone for that long period of time. That's when Android comes in. You have a variety of devices with different specs, different parameters, different form factors and so on.

2019-01-07 20:55:34

Just do your research before hand on if the particular phone you want has an unlocked bootloader, if it does you can flash a clean rom to it and get rid of all the bullshit, just the same as you would on Windows by installing a clean copy, but without even having to pirate anything or buy an expensive license.

2019-01-08 01:25:19

This is true and I'd be willing to do something like that. However, it's more for advanced users. NOt everyone will want to do that.

Is it just me, or are all the Android phones you can buy these days pop-tart phones? By pop-tart, I mean anything larger than 4 inches or so.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2019-01-08 01:27:55

Yeah, most of them.
If you want something slower but smaller, get the nokia 1, or for a better battery, the Nokia 2.
Do not know, I love big phones.
smile My aunt promised me an s9 plus in less than a year because she will be changing plans, so, I am quite happy.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2019-01-08 03:22:16 (edited by Chris 2019-01-08 03:23:09)

So I know I said I wouldn't buy any Samsung phones, but I found one for $108 on eBay. It's the Galaxy A3. https://www.ebay.com/p/Samsung-Galaxy-A … 1803805103

What are your thoughts? I'll obviously be replacing Samsung's crap with something like Lineage OS. Is this a decent phone? I want another Android device since my Nexus 7 is broken.

2019-01-08 11:13:37

Nah, this one is the a3 2015 and is some what slow, I wouldn't recommend it.
And you can if you want the a3 2015 or so, you can get one for half the price as I saw earlier.
At least, get a 2016 model, I will recommend the a5, this is what I use, or better the a7, that one works quite well.
Howp that helps.

2019-01-08 21:42:17 (edited by Chris 2019-01-08 21:53:37)

Good catch on the A3 2015 version. At this point, I'm not sure. I want a phone that supports USB C, but I'm not paying an arm and a leg. I thought about finding deals on the original Pixel, but I'm not sure. I'd also like a headphone jack. How about this? I'm a bit wary of refurbished, but I'm not paying more than $200 or so for a phone at this point. I'm sick of these incredibly high prices. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Google-Pixel-3 … 0009.m1982

2019-01-08 23:14:36 (edited by pulseman45 2019-01-08 23:14:59)

I can't think about a phone with USB C at $200. Perhaps one can find the Nokia 6.1 at that price but I'm not even sure, so if you can get the original Pixel it's a good idea, I believe Android Pie is it's last official update but it still gets two years of security updates.

2019-01-08 23:22:39

That $140 price tag is really appealing. As long as the phone works well, I'm happy. It also supports USB 3.0 which is nice. Does it support USB PD? Can I charge the phone from other devices and charge other devices from the phone?

Even if Android Pi is the last official version, I'm sure custom roms will suppport it longer. That's the great thing about Android.

2019-01-08 23:23:29

Moto G6, maybe? I know it's around that price, at least on Amazon. Not sure about which USB it uses though.

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2019-01-08 23:58:04

Nah, I don't want the Moto G. The Pixel 1 is cheaper, has a smaller screen, and includes USB 3.0 support. I do wish it had a micro SD card slot, but I've got USB C flash drives. I just checked and the latest and greatest iPhone still uses a USB 2.0 connection. That is horrible!

2019-01-09 00:44:59 (edited by pulseman45 2019-01-09 00:46:22)

The Pixel seems to be the best choice, and indeed if you are into flashing custom roms it's even better. You would likely not even have that possibility with a nokia.

2019-01-09 05:13:11

You can get these teeny tiny USB drives that only take up the top part of the USB and sit flush inside, it's pretty awesome, so that could work.

2019-01-09 05:49:10

@37 Can you recommend some models? I have a USB A flash drive like that, but not USB C. The only USB C drive I have is rather small, but I'd imagine it would still stick out the bottom of the phone.

By the way, I ordered the Pixel. We'll see how well it works. I'm not a fan of the 5 inch screen, but it appears I have no choice but to get these pop-tarts.

2019-01-09 18:33:13

If I was in your situation, I would do the same, buy a Pixel.
Yes, you can charge other phones with an usb tipe c OTG, with usb C you have more otg adapters than cables and that is much, much better.
Hell,  even my old tablet, Utok hello 7 q lte could charge other devices, it used to restart alot, but it was nice as a power banck and a web surfer, even it had problems.
Now I am curious, I will take it out and flash it, just for the hell of it.
It was stock, so, yeah.