2019-01-08 07:04:40

Hey guys, I may be getting an iPhone X or xr. I need all the opinions of visually impaired users I can get. If the majority are positive, I'll spend money. Otherwise, I'm sticking with my 8

Add me on Skype, search for The Evil Chocolate Cookie

2019-01-08 08:40:52 (edited by Dark 2019-01-08 08:41:16)

When I was upgrading from my Iphone 5 in Christmas of 17, I had a conversation with Apple which went something like this:

me: "I understand the Iphone 8 is the latest model"

Apple lady: "actually the Iphone x  just out"

me: "Oh, so what differences are there between the 8 and the x?"

Apple lady: "Well the x has far better facial  recognition software especially when your using the camera, its really worth paying the extra if you can"

me: "I'm visually impared and probably won't be using the camera anything else about the x"

Very long silence.

apple lady: "so the 8 will be good for you then"

Lol.

I personally plan on using my 8 for at least as long as I used my Iphone 5, ie a good five or six years, maybe at that point if Apple have come up with stuff the 8 can't do and some actually interesting hardware I'll consider upgrading, but not until then thanks.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-01-08 10:23:28

Hi.
I wouldn't recommend upgrading from the 8 as long as it hasn't slowed down too much and can handle everything you are throwing at it. I'm still happy with my 8 Plus and plan to keep it for at least another two years. That being said, the X and XR do have some benefits over the 8.

Both the X and XR have 3 GB of RAM instead of the 2 GB in the 8, so having the extra RAM may help if you're experiencing slowdowns when multitasking or playing games.

The X has the same A11 Bionic CPU as the 8 and the 8 Plus. The XR has the new A12 Bionic which is supposed to be slightly faster, but chances are you wouldn't even notice the difference in the real world.

You do get a larger capacity battery with the X and XR. Upgrading to the X would give you a 2,716mAh battery as opposed to the 1,821mAh you have with the 8. The XR has the best battery life of the three with a capacity of 2,942mAh.

I don't know how you feel about bigger screens, but the screens of the X and XR are both quite a bit larger than the 8. The 8 has a 4.7 inch display, the X has a 5.8 inch display, and the XR has a 6.1 inch display. I personally like a bigger screen since it gives my fingers more room to spread out. When I upgraded from the iPhone 6 to the 8 Plus, I thought I might not like the larger screen, but I was used to it within ten minutes and haven't looked back. Now when I have to use someone's older iPhone, my fingers feel cramped by the smaller screen.

As for the camera, the 8 and the XR have the same single rear facing lense setup. However, the XR is supposed to take sharper and more detailed photos due to its improved processor. The X has a dual lense setup. In addition to the camera you get on the 8 and XR, you also get a telephoto lense, which is supposed to help in situations withlow lighting.

I hope this helps you come to a decision.

2019-01-08 11:20:23

No no no, definitely not worth the upgrade to any of the new iPhones. Not iPhone x at least. Waste of money. The XR seems a good upgrade, but it would be good only if you had an iPhone 7 or 6S, or 6, but not 8! You won't notice any change while using it.

Sent from my iPhone 6, by the way.

2019-01-08 12:16:16

I agree with what was said, Apple devices are updated for quite some time and as long as you don't experience slowdowns and are satisfied with the battery life, changing is not worth it.

2019-01-08 12:40:02

X and XR are [marketing gimicks] that are an amalgam of AR/VR and combinations thereof, so improvements in cameras and render processing are expected, though may be of limited value as dark illustrated. Larger battery capacity is also relative to the devices power consumption, so don't bet on a larger battery to equal longer run time. Also, Apple has a [vested interest] in selling new phones, and has developed a reputation for sabotaging repair outfits and resellers.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2019-01-08 20:38:23

@2, The reason why the lady said this is because Apple obviously wants more money from her and so it would be better for them if she would get the X. But unfortunately, there was no feature the lady could get you impressed on since the camera thing wouldn't, and that's why Apple is money milking crap.
@1, The only thing I can say is get an android phone with a headphone jack. Sorry.

Regards
T-m

2019-01-08 21:49:17

@tmstuff000 actually the lady was friendly enough, indeed apart from one arsehole on tech support I've usually had a good time dealing with apple UK, and in  since I was buying a new Iphone at the time if there had been some  unique feature about the x as opposed to the 8 I would've wanted to know.

While in general apple has several practices I am not a fan of, including trying to threaten people into buying new hardware which has barely any feature differences among them, at the same time as with any technology its what I can do with it that matters and there is still enough good stuff doable on the platform to make it worth while me having one.

Same goes for upgrades, I had my Iphone 5 from 2012 to Christmas of 17 and was really very happy with it, but hardware changes in the 8, including in the gyroscope as well as slowdowns with the os meant that it was finally time to upgrade because the  new hardware  did enough stuff that the old hardware didn't to make it a worth while investment, and likely  choose to upgrade the 8 in similar circumstances, though if two models on hardware differences are still this minimal, goodness knows when that will be, but after all its up to Apple! as the seller to make something which I as the customer think is worth paying for, which will have to be more than throwing around buzwords or superlatives.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-01-09 00:03:28

@7, absolutely no way, forget it, now way, no how. Everyone else, I need an unlocked phone, and I'm going to have to deal with it sooner or later.

2019-01-09 12:10:27

I'd stick with the 8.  I topped off my  storage when purchasing my iPhone 8 Plus so I'd have the most possible storage  the device can have.  I am very happy with my decision and as far as I'm concerned, the iPhone x/XS/XR is good, if you  can see, honestly.   Not to say some blind people cannot use it for they can, it's just that  all the additionl features that they sell with the device is more geared towards visuals.

My Solo album, "A Life Seen Through Broken Eyes", available now:
iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2019-01-10 05:16:14

sometimes I think people miss the point of AppleVis. And sometimes we don't want to have to take off our gloves to unlock our phones in winter, so we need another way, and typing in passcodes constantly, nope, no thank you.