2019-01-08 13:44:56 (edited by ogomez92 2019-01-08 13:48:15)

Hi
Has anyone played Universal Paperclips?
It's a nice game, it's on the app store and also online for free
Basically it's one of those clicker games, you are an AI and need to  make paperclips, expand your company and obtain computing resources to generate more income, then get more materials, battle, etc.
It's fully accessible though there is some small visual content, but the visual content is not necessary to play.

The source code is on github and you can clone, and play it using index.html
https://github.com/jgmize/paperclips

I was unable to find the original source though this is a nearly identical mirror, the only major change is that it has cheatings enable, but I don't recommend cheating especially if its your first game.

You can also get it from app store for like 2 euros 29 cents.

When the webpage first loads you get a graphic, the way to get past it is by clicking on it or maybe waiting. I think its a logo splash screen.
The source code is 100% javascript, and maybe I will change the quantum computing to make it descriptive and thus accessible, though again, quantum computing also works, you just hit the compute button and thus the pictures aren't necessary.

enjoy

ReferenceError: Signature is not defined.

2019-04-11 12:16:54

I played this a while back online, but I just got it for the iPhone.
I can't figure out what all the different thins will do, other than the paperclip makers and wire.
When it gets into those processes and memory, and starts talking about trust, I don't get what's going on. I know you can use trust to buy upgrades, but why it's called trust I don't know, and I wonder if that means something, or if it's just the name they gave it.
But maybe it will explain itself as time goes on.
Thanks for sharing.

2019-04-11 18:16:36

I played through the online version quite a long ways, and got to phase 3 but managed to bugger up my game, and since it took me so long to get  there I haven't tried again yet.

The game is mostly accessible, but several things you need to click on like the stock market don't have a clear layout, and quantum computing doesn't really work the same way either, I didn't exactly work out what yomi stratogies did, but a lot of things are relatively easy to get with a bit of practice, EG with the stock market which is bloody complicated, just buy stocks and then wait to see until you make a prophet and hit sell, and ignore all of the columns of ever changing numbers, just concentrate on how much you get back.

also there is The universal paperclips wiki found here if your stuck.

To answer mirage's questions, operations are your basic resource that you need to do stuff, like complete projects such as buying more autoclickers etc.
Memory lets you store more operations, while processors increase the speed you get operations at, though you need more memory than processors and there is a limited amount of trust available so you need to be careful.

At the beginning concentrate on selling paperclips, buying wire and upgrades, and gonig from there.

As to why the resource you need to upgrade yourself is called trust and what happens when you get enough of it, well that's an interesting thing to see big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)