2019-01-08 00:01:52 (edited by sneak 2019-01-31 19:47:11)

With a new semester comes new information. If you've never heard of flash cards, they're usually made out of index cards. Questions or phrases are written on one side, with the answers on the backside. An individual will usually make a set of related cards, such as a multiplication deck, or maybe a set based on vocabulary for a specific class. They take a card, look at the triggering phrase, then try to recollect the answer. They flip the card over, and test their knowledge. It is a great way to build and reinforce memory. I've made a small program to emulate this idea, and I'm sharing it here because it's a game you play with yourself. I hope it helps. I may add more features as I use it myself, but, at the moment, it does what I want it to do.
P.S. I've gone ahead and included the source code along with the executable so that people can add their own features as they wish.
P.S.S. in a below post I mentioned sharing data sets when they're created. I went through some past assignments and put together a list of medical terms related to Latin prefixes, roots, and suffixes. It is pretty useful information to know,
    Though it is only one chapter worth. It should keep the those interested busy for a time.
chapter 1 medical terms: https://www.dropbox.com/s/j5c8xl7boulu0 … s.txt?dl=0

chapter 2 medical terms: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5rsiu9od7t5nx … s.txt?dl=0
Enjoy
Program with flash cards included

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qrvvikew1fl9y … s.zip?dl=0

The universe is a rain storm. We are droplets sent to quench the problems of the world, yet we are blown sideways by the winds of distractions.

2019-01-08 00:09:52 (edited by UltraLeetJ 2019-01-08 00:12:47)

this is very nice!
I would have liked a sound for reviewing each side of the card, and a command for a new set when you are in the middle of one, too. A  clarification to enter the name of the text file where a data set though that an extension is not needed is useful. But the rest is just fantastic. Have not had any problems. When I first ran this windows defender came up for a quick security check but it runs flawlessly.
Hopefully this will help me learn french vocabulary faster!
making this go mobile would be a hit as well, but then again I am asking for too much hehe

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2019-01-08 00:16:29

Wow, quick responses. I can put a sound in for each side of the card, and I'll put a tip about the extension not being needed as wewll. I'll probably go ahead and drop the source code in as well so people can add and their own touches.

The universe is a rain storm. We are droplets sent to quench the problems of the world, yet we are blown sideways by the winds of distractions.

2019-01-08 00:28:22

Changes added, and source code included. HTH Feel free to share any data sets you guys make on this thread. I intend to convert my medical terminology. When done, I'll post it here to share.

2019-01-08 04:31:15

Added another data set for download containing medical prefixes, roots, and suffixes. I'll add more as I convert them all. Hope they're found to be useful.

2019-01-08 04:35:33

I could add musical terms hehehe... or maybe English to Spanish language pairs. Subjects I am confident I know, since they are part of my daily life anyway.
could you put this up on  git? I think it would be easier re: source code and such. If you do not have an account I do have one and could upload

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2019-01-08 04:40:16

Feel free to do it. I don't have an account setup. I could learn though. Though if it is something you would like to take over I would not mind lol.

2019-01-08 15:31:12

Added a second data set containing medical terms pertaining to areas of the body.

2019-01-09 05:15:39

what programming language is this in.. I am not anywhere near confident with any to add other functions I just thought could help though they are simple things

2019-01-09 17:28:50

Well, the language is C#, but the scripting language is BGT.
There isn't anything complicated about the program really, just read through the language tutorial and the game practice 1 and you should be good to go. I don't mind adding in small features though, so long as they're not crazy.

2019-01-09 18:47:04

Wow! I was seriously working on a project just like this! I wasn't sure whether or not I was going to release it or not. I haven't tried yours yet, but I've been looking for a nice program to help me study/remember things for a while. Not finding one, I just decided to make my own. I wanted it to be somewhat similar to Quizzlet since the site really helped me prepare for tests, so I included different types of questions while the program quizzes you (like multiple choice, true/false, ETC) based off the cards in a particular set. Nice job. I'll check it out soon.

Trying to free my mind before the end of the world.

2019-01-10 13:10:32

I had started working on adding multiple choice to the program, but I decided against it since if you're writing the multiple choice question and answers, it's not really testing your knowledge. I would stick to the online options. I know they also offer flashcards, but the websites can be a pain to navigate and they don't always have the topic you want to study. Hope you find it useful.

2019-01-27 14:45:25

Hello there,

Would it be possible for you to reupload the software?

The link in post 1 seems not to be valid anymore.

kind regards

Paweł

2019-01-31 19:47:41

There, I went ahead and included the files in the zip, Hope it helps.

2019-02-01 15:09:42

Sorry if I'm not seeing something obvious but where is it at? The link in the first post is still dead.

2019-03-16 19:35:09

Sneak,

Two questions smile Like the previous poster said the link appears to still be dead, could you point me at where I can grab this?
And second, do you know if this works with unicode symbols? I've been looking for an Anki alternative for a while and this might just be what the doctor ordered if i can make it work with non-Latin scripts as well smile

Zersiax

2019-03-16 20:30:06

Hi Sneak,

This link gives a dropbox 460, restricted content error.

I've been going by Bryn, which is now reflected in my profile. Please do your best to respect this :) Mess ups are totally OK though, I don't mind and totally understand!
Follow on twitter! @ItsBrynify
Thanks, enjoy, thumbs up, share, like, hate, exist, do what ya do,
my website: brynify.me

2019-03-16 20:33:03

oh amazing! but please reupload it link is dead.

Yours kindly

2022-03-27 23:20:42

Hi! Sorry to bring back such an old toppic, but can anyone who has these files please reupload them? Thanks.

2022-03-28 02:36:16

so much for thread necromancy lol. I wish this was also back, I switched machines some time ago and lost the file, I think defender nuked it when I was moving things over.
If the anki app was accessible in android I would just use it all the time.

2022-03-30 07:59:32

Hello. I can't download It.
Please, could YOu post It again?
Thank You.
Marco

Ja volim samo kafu sa Rakijom.