2019-01-06 03:14:41

Also, the android's no URL specified loop has been fixed for android current.

2019-01-06 05:02:52

So @Hacker:

Is there a way to avoid encrypting anything during the install? Not sure how I managed it, but somehow I'm fairly sure I managed to skip over that in the install, not sure if answering no at the point after I picked where to install Jenux did anything, or if there was another sneaky update I wasn't aware of? Or I ust zoned out and didn't listen to the speech go on about any sort o encryption, I answered no to the first continue anyway, no to encryption then yes to the second continue anyway. Not sure what I did but it seems to install oky without any encryption.

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

2019-01-06 05:19:07

I fixed this today. If you say no to encryption, the root and swap are not encrypted, but the first user's home is still encrypted, since that is done in the post installation script. As far as I know, variables are not transferred from the main installer, so I think I can't just check if encryption=n from the post installation, plus ecryptfs doesn't really have any overhead, so I can't really think of any reason not to enable home directory encryption. If there's significant interest, I'll make the encryption setting in the installer truly global.

2019-01-06 06:04:54

Well I can think o one case where I don't want a home dir encrypted. Say if I move my home dir to another PC or drive, or even a new install on the same system as a backup. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the directory won't be able to be read by the new install/system, correct?

Also on Linux natively

2019-01-06 06:34:37

To move an encrypted home, either move the content while it's still mounted, or if it's unmounted, move the entire /home/.ecryptfs directory wherever you want it. As long as you remember your login or recovery passphrase, whenever you login, it'll transparently decrypt your home, as long as the target system has ecryptfs loaded into the kernel and the correct passphrase is entered.

2019-01-06 07:28:06

Okay so....to clarify.....once I pick the HD to install to...what exatly do the questions after that about last mounted mean? I mean what do hitting ys/no do?

Also on Linux natively

2019-01-06 07:35:28

One more. After it's finished downloading, it instalsls and boots fine, but any chance you could look into removing Deluge as it doesn't work? If I may suggest something....I'd like Virtualbox removed from the Gnome/Mate presets if it won't break *everything* along with Deluge. I'd instead like to suggest Pidgin as an option for IMing and such to replace Deluge/Virtualbox.

Also on Linux natively

2019-01-06 23:12:42

Just lestting folks know, that the link for the .OVA file has been removed, which I gues that's being updated to match the ISO.

I will update post one accordingly later on today.

2019-01-07 20:03:53

Hi, the link to the ova file has been moved to:
https://nashcentral.duckdns.org/projects/jenux.ova
Also, An android 8 vm with speech and a dirty ass hack for a talking recovery can be found at:
https://nashcentral.duckdns.org/projects/android.ova
Hope these work for you.

2019-01-07 20:17:55

Thanks,

Time to update my entry post!

In addition, I am talking about Jenux, Emacspeak, and Voin, along with the Slint Linux Distro , over on the "Blinux Mailing List":

https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/blinux-list

2019-01-07 21:38:00

And the discussion got turned into a discussion on Slint.

Which, BTW is based on Slackware and requires you to do more work to install a package, unles that got updated.

Also on Linux natively

2019-01-07 21:46:41

Well, there was Manjaro discussion which was also turned into a slint one as well, so... Hey, Linux is Linux!

I'm just glad more people are interested in checking it out to be honest, regardless of the distro chosen.

2019-01-07 21:56:14

And to bring this back on topic for a moment.

So, If I get an encrypted home folder with Jenux's installer......let's say I go put Ubuntu Mate on. Will the erase the disk option wipe the encrypted home folder as well?

Unsure how it works.

Also on Linux natively

2019-01-07 23:46:27

Hey guys, a single question, if I download the image for the raspbery pi, should I extract the arkive with winrar and use win flash tool to put the thing on my card?
Or what does mean the autobuild system, I searched on google and I couldn't find anything.
Thanks in advance.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2019-01-08 22:23:19

No, because the image is not an .img. Hopefully by now the architecture of the autobuild system has changed to the point where it will not be doing rootfs like it was before, because if such is the case what it will do is download the smaller base image then install packages into it.

2019-01-09 18:46:43

Ok, I understand, but I downloaded the ful image from the site and do not know if I can flash it on the card myself.
Or, by autobuild, does he mean that I need to use the iso?
If yes, I will try again.
sad I have alot of errors, as I always have.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2019-01-09 19:06:00

The rootfs method is a rough flashing method, admittedly. The autobuild system does mean using the iso, which is simply a shell script that executes everything. Obviously downloading that large of a file without a checksum leaves room for plenty of things to go wrong, and from what I remember even flashing it the right way sometimes causes a card that isn't fully bootable anyhow. Pretty sure it would have been better if an img with an autoexpand script was used, since I know why he chose this method so he wouldn't have to host images for each size, however, that can be avoided with a much smoother autoexpand script rather than the rootfs method.
The new autobuild method should work in that regard, then.

2019-01-11 05:41:11

A new version of the Jenux ISO has been released. Here are the changes:
Replaced systemd-boot with grub for uefi boot. This means the following:
1: support for 32-bit uefi firmware, for example in older macs and newer intel baytrail tablets and windows 8.1 devices
2: audible indication when you have booted into the grub menu for the installer, first option is boot with accessibility, as always, so just press enter.
Uses fenrir instead of speakup as a console screen reader, which increases responsiveness. It can be downloaded at:
https://nashcentral.duckdns.org/project … x86_64.iso

2019-01-11 06:06:10

Has the new Raspberry Pi card-flashing method been released under the hood, or not yet?

2019-01-11 09:00:20

Hi,
Does anyone know of a resource which a newbie can  use to learn linux from scratch?
Regards,
Amit

There once was a moviestar icon.
Who prefered to sleep with the light on.
They learnt how to code, devices sure glowed,
and lit the night using python.

2019-01-11 09:36:14

it helps if you have people you can talk to, but in general, for just starting out you will need to learn the basics, how to get around the file system, which means learning commands like cd, ls, pwd, mount and umount, mkdir, echo, touch, rm, and so on. Once you can do things like that, involving making directories, creating files and putting stuff in those files, removing them, then you could move onto learning some other stuff, like how to pipe the output of a command into the input of another. Two examples I'd recommend learning right off are how to use grep, and how to use more more and less. Grep helps you find things in the output of a command, an example would be ps -ef | grep espeakup. Notice the vertical bar character, its called the pipe, because it pipes things together. So what's going on here is that if you didn't pipe the output to grep, it would go to your screen, this is called standard output, or stdout. You'd have to look through all the processes running on your system just to find one, and that's assuming you can scroll back in your terminal. piping the output of ps into the input of grep means that grep is now able to operate on it. More and less are two commands to help you deal with lots of output. They are pagination utilities. When you pipe to more, you get a whole screen of output, rather than all the output scrolling off the screen, then it waits for you to hit enter. You go on doing this until you reach the end of the output. Less is a bit more robust, as it provides
a higher level of navigation, in that you can scroll up and down through the input, then hit q when you're done. So, let's say you had a large file, cat, which is short for catalog is how you'd read that file back, but its going to scroll off the screen until its done. This is where piping the output of cat into more or less would help. You could also cat a file and pipe it to grep to find a particular string, but let's say you don't want to search the entirety of the file for that string, but only the last one or 2 lines, this is where tail comes in. Tail is brilliant for looking at the last few lines of log files to see errors. Let's say you're coding and you want to scan the file for a specific term, but you just implemented a new change and that is likely going to be the last like, or not. You could do this, tail -n 1 /path/to/file | grep keyword. Also grep is a lot more powerful than just searching for one word, you can also give it complex expressions to use as its criteria, but that's beyond the scope of what I'm doing here, and I'm not experienced enough to give accurate information beyond the very basics of that. There's always more to learn and so, My advice would be, don't try to learn it for the sake of learning it. This begs the question, what has you interested in Linux? If the answer to that question is a particular project or set of projects, start there after learning the basics. Look for guides, etc.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-01-11 11:29:53

Hi,
Grate post. Thank you, I appreciate it.
However, I am looking to go even more into the basics, for example, what does each directory in the / directory mean, what is a kurnel, bootloaders and the likes.
Regards,
Amit

There once was a moviestar icon.
Who prefered to sleep with the light on.
They learnt how to code, devices sure glowed,
and lit the night using python.

2019-01-11 12:03:54

@Iron: Oh hey welcome back. I'd say for @Amitte you just need to understand the very basics of getting around a system first beforre you go too in depth.

@Hacker: Sweet. I'll try this out in a few.

Also on Linux natively

2019-01-11 21:20:31

I like fenrir.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-01-12 21:58:40

Also, for speech output in the base and mate presets, along with the android recovery environment, I might switch the console screen reader from speakup to fenrir. Depending on user feedback, submitted through either contacting me or posting in this topic, I will role this change out to new installs. Previous installs will not be effected in order to not disrupt configuration.