2019-01-06 15:45:30

So here's the deal.  I have a new laptop on the way and I opted out of getting an SSD upgrade since I already have a 500GB SSD I planned to put into the unit.    I wanted to know what HDD cloning software is accessible out there and that I could use to clone the  factory HDD to my SSD.  That way, al I'd have to do is simply swap the drives out and  it's a done deal.   Eventually I will put the other drive into a caddy replacing the optical drive, seeing as I never use that thing.

My Solo album, "A Life Seen Through Broken Eyes", available now:
iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2019-01-06 16:23:17

hi there
casper 8.0 is pretty accessible
beware the updating,  do not update the casper to latest version
the ui changed it is won't work
you can clone the drive,  copy, backup whatever you want
before proceeding to cloning, make sure your second new ssd is connected to your laptop
it is 30 day trial,  so you can use free demo

2019-01-06 17:17:36

You can also use talking arch media, and then use dd. See the archwiki for more details. Find talking arch at
https://talkingarch.tk/
dd can copy your disk block by block

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2019-01-06 21:45:32 (edited by flackers 2019-01-06 21:46:17)

I used samsung's migration software, but it isn't totally accessible, just doable with some OCR and a bit of guessing. I wouldn't really recommend it unless you can't find anything better. And it might be even worse if the SSD isn't a samsung.

2019-01-07 02:05:06

I'm going to presume that you're dealing with windows on both ends of the copy here, and that your new drive is as large as or larger than the source *partition* you're copying. If it isn't, shrink the partition first (diskpart or windows disk management), and then keep reading.

I have two software options and one hardware, depending on if you have access to eyeballs or not, enough to read you a few bios-like screens.
If you do, the simplest method to clone a drive (I've done this - it's pretty much effortless) is to make a system image, take out your old drive, put in the new one, and use a system repair disk to restore the image to the new drive. It'll take maybe half an hour and you're done.
The next option I'd look into is a piece of software called Drive Image xml. It's free for home use, and can copy any partition you want. Especially useful if you don't have access to eyeballs.
Finally, if you look around, you can find hardware bridges designed to let you connect multiple drives, some of which will have copy abilities: you connect both drives (in the proper order), and press the copy button.

2019-01-07 16:50:53

Yes I am working with Windows and am a fairly advanced user.  I will be cloning my new drive which houses windows 10 Home from a HDD of  a 1tb capacity to an SSD of 500GB capacity.  Of course the factory stuff will be all that's getting cloned since, well, I am just getting this machine today.  so what I will do is shrink down the  windows partition of the  drive to <500GB and then cloe that to my SSD which I can connect via USB with an external enclosure.    I think Drive Image XML will be a good option for this.

Hopefully I am not missing anything of importance here.

My Solo album, "A Life Seen Through Broken Eyes", available now:
iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel