2018-03-08 15:43:46

I currently had the iphone5 for several years, and I finally upgraded to an iphone7. I am highly disappointed with it, and I want to trade it in, to try out the newer phones from droid. on other posts, I see a lot of people recommending the nexus7. how good are the  galaxy phones, the note, sony, and lg phones? just looking for the best option, that can some what mirror an iphone

can i get a peace double harmony burger? no chaos

2018-03-08 17:40:28

Hi.
First, nexus 7 is a tablet, but no problem, you have google pixel or the second generation of it, witch are good.
Second, I like galaxy phones, especialy the s and note series, even the note is to big for me, I like the s devices, especialy the s7 thing, the s8 is verry good and the 9 too, but the screen shape is weird for me cause is to long and in landscape is to small.
So, get what do you need, pure android, a verry accessible platform, or samsung devices with the samsung experience, more facilities, but there are chases with Samsung it is not liked by some people.
I strongly recommend if you can get an one plus phone, verry good ones too.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2018-03-08 22:02:10

The Motorola X4, G5 plus, and G5 S both seem really quite nice.
And the G6 is coming out soon...
Otherwise I'd say the Google Pixel 2 is probably your best bet, if you can afford it, same goes for the Motorola Z2 force and Z2 Play.
Blind Samsung Galaxy owners always seem to be upset about something with their phone, but some don't mind the quirks.

2018-03-08 23:04:16

thankyou both for the suggestions.....I am looking into this now

can i get a peace double harmony burger? no chaos

2018-03-09 10:17:01 (edited by pulseman45 2018-03-09 10:20:53)

Another interesting device in terms of getting the most for your money is the Honor View 10, but I have never tested it. It runs on the last version of Emotion UI (Huawei's Android skin), and I don't know if it has accessibility problems or not. Plus you may have to import it depending on where you live.
I have a OnePlus 5T and it's pretty good, but support from onePlus isn't exactly the best in terms of security updates, mine is still running on the December patch. Though to be fair I don't know about Honor's update policy eather.
If you can wait and afford it, maybe wait for the S9. What makes it so exciting in my point of view is that it's a modern flagship but without the typical annoying compromises you would find elseware, as it has both a headphone jack and expendable memory via micro SD, and it has stereo speakers this time. Definitely my second favourite release of 2018, only behind the Honor View 10, the third being the upcoming Nokia 7 plus.
Also like others said, the Pixel and Moto phones are good.

2018-03-09 15:52:53

UI is important i can say get google's phones or other one plus
cause these devices working their android UI
but samsung are good choice too,  s9 will be available soon

2018-03-09 17:12:39

Well, the s9 was released, I saw some videos on youtube in romanian with the umboxing of the plus one.

2018-03-09 17:52:21

The s9 is also, ironically, cheaper than the s8 by about $100. Not much of a difference, but may be worth it to some people. I currently love both my s8 and my secondary moto g5 plus, which will be my backup phone for a long time even after I get my s8 back from repair. Great phone, especially for how much I paid for it.

Discord: clemchowder633

2018-03-09 17:58:11

I've heard bad things about Honor's UI, to the point that even reviewers complain about how cluttered it is.

2018-03-09 18:21:05

I recommend the pixel phone if you want to go android. The accessibility experience on it I have found to be smoother than on others. There are also some nice benefits such as being able to get the pixel earbuds and opting into the Google Fi project if you wish.

2018-03-09 20:44:36

@assault_freak

The Galaxy S8 Oreo update for those of us in North America (myself included, should expect it by the start of April/End of March, since Sammy pushed the update back, do to unexpected reboots with some models overseas.

In addition, Samsung is rumored to be updating its "Voice Assistant" screen reader from the ground up, just like what Amazon did with Voice View. Sadly though, no official word from Samsung Accessibility yet.

A lot of people won't swich to Android do to the "braille display" support which Talkback lacks, however as I talked to Kendra from Samsung Accessibility awhile back via email, the idea for Voice Assistant to have its own braille display support is certainly in the cards.

2018-03-09 21:52:47

I am rocking a Xxiaomi  note 4x for a while now & I love it so much bang for your buck when I purchased it
And still running smoove

Will be picking up two more phones from xiaomi
Max 2 & note 5x

2018-03-09 21:52:59

I am rocking a Xxiaomi  note 4x for a while now & I love it so much bang for your buck when I purchased it
And still running smoove

Will be picking up two more phones from xiaomi
Max 2 & note 5x

2018-03-09 22:06:50 (edited by pulseman45 2018-03-09 22:13:42)

@9: Apparently most of the bloatware on the view 10 can be uninstalled, if that's what you're talking about.
Here's what I found on XDA on the subject:

Only apps that can't be uninstalled but can be disabled:
Honor (links to their webstore)
Honor health
HiCare (their warranty app)
Notepad
Videos
Themes

Can't be uninstalled or disabled:
Phone manager

Not much more bloated than my 5T at this point.
However if you are talking about the big amount of settings it has and how unorganized it may be, I don't really know. On most reviews I read they said it's getting better with time and most seem to be happy with the last version based on Oreo.

2018-03-15 20:51:59

@trenton, any link to these rumours? I wish Samsung weren't so close mouthed about it..

2018-03-16 07:47:57

I've heard good things about the Moto E and G phones. They're relatively cheap compared to the Samsung offerings and are nearly stock Android from what I've been told.
I'm very hesitant to buy any Samsung phone. I know they're developing their own screen reader, but I don't like the idea of having to deal with the other crap they come with. I could install a custom ROM and get around all that nonsense, but I'd lose the screen reader. Also, how long are the Samsung phones kept up to date? Which phones come with the screen reader? Do older phones receive updates to the screen reader? I find it extremely confusing considering the annual release cycle and the fact that carriers can prevent you from updating to newer official Samsung firmware.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2018-03-16 08:02:56

As a galaxy s8 owner, I haven't experienced a problem with any of those... thre is a reason they are as popular as they are among sighted folks. Different people will say different things, but objectively Samsung is just like anything else... android is there, but with their own customizations. You can disable any bloatware that comes with it, and still get the screen reader. But many people use talkback instead of voice assistant.. that is the beauty of choice. As for stock android being beter, read these two articles.

Stock Android is no Longer the Best Android
https://thenextweb.com/opinion/2017/10/ … f-android/
What is Stock Android?
https://www.androidcentral.com/what-stock-android

The Samsung devices are now receiving support for up to two major OS updates, and any device that can run the latest version of Android, EG the Galaxy s7 series, the Galaxy a5, and above, can get Voice Assistant in addition to Talkback.

2019-01-06 04:18:07

Hi all,

Sorry for reviving this topic, but what do you guys think about the Nokia 3.1?I'm looking for a relatively cheap Android phone. The Nokia 3.1 is cheap and runs stock Android because it's part of the Android One program. I assume TalkBack comes preinstalled on it?

If possible, I want a phone with stock Android and this sounds great. The Pixel phones are overpriced just like iPhones, and I'll never buy Samsung Galaxies. Actually, I may be tempted if Samsung releases an Android One phone, but I highly doubt that. They'd rather force their garbage on you.

2019-01-06 04:22:15

Samsung galaxy s7 is a good choice. I have one, and performs quite well, mutch better than my old and dusty Iphone4.

be a hero and stop Coppa now!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Dkm … DkWZ8/edit
-id software, 1995

2019-01-06 06:58:31

If you can, grab the more expensive Nokia for the better specs, otherwise yeah, everyone seems to agree that their the best stock android phones for the price by far right now, on essentially every level.
Their what the Motorola E and G series used to be before it got crappier.

2019-01-06 16:48:49

nokia is promising the software updates for two years,  plus every month security updates
except samsung are not updating their midrange phones
they doesn't caring much low budgets
if they wants, it will take 4 months for updating
they caring flagship phones
if you buy galaxy j4 j6 you will not get updates every month,  samsung are not good with software updates, with midrangers and budget phones
here's an example
look here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKc665CvW_k

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Gal … d-p/292501

go and look these websites, galaxy a8+ released in 2018 january or something.  that phone have problem, if you charging connected,  try to play music or watch something no matter,  spotify, or netflix you'll hear speaker sound cut
this is not taken care yet from samsung, they says go and take the phone to service center
they replaces,  same problem, if company doesn't caring midrange phones much,  they releasing the markets, so why they sells buggy phones?
near 1 year past still no fix, ,  so these reasons forced me switch to nokia
i have owned nokia 7x midrange phone,  it works smoothly,  perfect no lag
and i am getting security updates monthly
some guys doesn't care monthly security updates,  but that's not so good
i heard xiaomi phones good too, stock android

2019-01-06 18:16:22

Nah, Xyaomi or what ever has only some phones with stock android, the mi a1 and the mi a2 with all of their variants.
I still have my Nokia 3, it is not used anymore on a daily basis because the battery is a piece of crap, thanks to a 2 year old kid, but it is on android 8.1, not sure if it is go, but on 8.0 it wasn't, but now, after the 1.8 gb update, I see the files go app.
It gets updates every month and roons ok.
And do not know about Samsung, why the hell they don't update the note8 to android 8.1 and the j5, 2017 crap is on android 8.1?
It does not make sense, but the a series gets 2 security updates almost monthly, for example, my a5, 2016 came with android 5 and now it is on 7 and on the december update, with almost no issues, except a restart once or twice a month.
And that guys, is just because, they want you to switch to something new, in rest, it gets updates and works better than my old s7 edge, long storyes.

2019-01-06 23:31:46

Hello.

a couple of months ago, I played around with an S9? I'm not sure what make it was, but I do know there was a note version that was a bit bigger.

I really wanted to like android, customizing, yes please, eloquence on my phone, go for it! but Sadly, I had to return it to the store and get an iphone 7. Why? The play store didn't work.

My auntie had to help me  start the screen reader, I thought it was talkback but now I think on it, I don't think it was. Some of the tutorial was broken and what made the phone completely unusable for me was that the play store didn't work. i could double tap on it but that's it. When trying to swipe left or right, i just got an error sound.

Is this normal with android? i'm planning on trying it again in a couple years and would like to know what to do if i come across this problem again?

Thanks.

I'm gone for real :)

2019-01-07 03:09:50 (edited by Chris 2019-01-07 03:23:48)

The Play Store is usable with screen readers. I don't know if it was the version of Android, the version of the screen reader, or both. That's the problem with Android. There are so many different versions out there. Each version may or may not have been heavily customized by the manufacturer. Samsung has their own screen reader, Amazon has their own screen reader, and so does Google. It's a mess! On top of that, you've got different features of the screen reader available only on certain versions of Android. That's why I recommend Pixel or other phones in the Android One program. OEMs aren't allowed to customize anything which I say is a good thing. That's the thing that pisses me off about Windows computers and Android devices. Why can't these people sell me the device with the pure operating system? Why does everyone insist on customizing Android and/or  putting garbage apps on both Android and Windows? Arrrrgh!

Microsoft is also guilty of this to a lesser extent with Windows Phones. They let manufacturers and carriers put garbage apps onto phones as well as giving them full control to deny updates. I just want to buy a device from any manufacturer and be guaranteed that I'll at the very least get the stock experience. that's one of the few things Apple does right. When you buy an iPhone or Mac, you know what you're getting. Buying an Android phone from a random company could be a disaster if you're expecting one thing and get something completely different.

I appreciate that Android can be customized, but let the user decide whether they want to modify the stock experience which has always worked well for me. All right, end of rant. I'm sorry.

2019-01-07 11:54:58 (edited by pulseman45 2019-01-07 12:00:47)

@24: I can only agree with you. Look at Sony for example, if it wasn't for all the pre-loaded apps I would have been interested by the brand, but as it stands now it's a no-go. Plus I don't really like how they scrapped features from Android Pie, but that's another story entirely.
The PlayStore not being usable is strange to say the least, I'd be actually surprised if most blind S9 users had the same problem, and the fact there are different versions of the phone depending on carrier and region could make the problem quite hard to identify.