2019-01-04 18:02:57

Hi all.
Sony have released a small retro console called Playstation Classic. It's a very small console which comes with two controllers, HDMI port and it's powered by using a standard USB charger.
The console comes with 20 pre-installed ps1 games. It does not support disks or a ps1 memory card.
Here is the list of the pre-installed games. I only know a few of those, so I'm not sure on how many of them are playable:
Battle Arena Toshinden
Cool Boarders 2
Destruction Derby
Final Fantasy VII
Grand Theft Auto
Intelligent Qube
Jumping Flash
Metal Gear Solid
Mr Driller
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
Rayman
Resident Evil Director's Cut
Revelations: Persona
Ridge Racer Type 4
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
Syphon Filter
Tekken 3
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six
Twisted Metal
Wild Arms

I have read a lot of reviews of the console, and it sounds like the console could made very accessible by writing a menu guide for it. The menus seems to be very simple to navigate.

Review:
Here is a great review about the console:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INkYRTBPjfY

Here is some more information, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post this acording to the forum rules. If this is an issue, then I'll remove this part as quickly as possible.
Watch this amazing video which speaks for itself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMNxYFjmkoo

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2019-01-04 21:00:09

And everyone is pissed about it for many, many reasons. It's not quite as bad as it could be, games wise. I mean, MGS1, FF7, Syphon Filter, Tekken? Yes please. CB2....meh, but....come on. Oddworld alone makes it worth a grab.

Still, it's got a lot of people up in arms. Also, it's not an original PS1. I'll stick to emulating thanks.

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

2019-01-05 13:44:02

You can just put the games you want on it. smile

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2019-01-05 16:23:43

Seriously?  Can any of those games compete with the iconic NES and SNES classic releases?  Of those the only two that stick out to me personally are Twisted Metal and Final Fantasy VII, and that last one I'm not even sure of, as the one I saw was part of a Pizza Hut demo they were trying to use throughout the end of the 90's as a marketing strategy to get people to buy into the stupid thing and not the n64.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2019-01-05 20:15:47

You really can't compare ps1 games to nes and snes stuff. Its like comparing apples to starships. That said, I seen all kinds of terrible reviews on the systen. From the demos it seems like the menu doesn't have beeps or clicks. I am more interested in which of the games are playable than I am in the console itself. Already have tekken 3 on my psp, toshindin is for sure but what else?

2019-01-05 21:37:45

Apples and starships?  Both consoles are aimed at gaming; apples and starships have entirely different purposes to one another.
For a console that came out in 94, I imagine the original ps being just as, if not more iconic than anything nintendo released around that same timeframe.  Sony bet too much on a system far too ahead of its time, so that when the n64 came along it still took the cake.  Everyone bought into it just because...  NINTENDO!  Sony didn't have such a high stake in things game related at that particular point in time.  What you probably didn't know, is that originally, the playstation was supposed to be a joint effort between Sony and Nintendo!
Of course, in the end, Sony really did win out, but if Nintendo released a 64 classic right now, it would do twice as good as the ps.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2019-01-05 21:49:12

Right Nocturnus, but Sony was both ahead of its time and behind it. Ahead of it in what CDs could do compared to carts. But behind it in that they had no killer IP when the PS1 launched. Sure, in time they had good games.....but also remember in 94-95, SOny was an unknown, this was the hight of the Sega/Nintendo rivalry in the US. THe 32X was there, the Saturn was launching around that same time, so Sony launched at the wrong time. Without any kiler apps. Sure, they got killer apps in due time...but...

Let's compare. In 1998. Which would the average consuer have? FF7 or MGS on the PS1 side, or Goldeneye and Mario on the N64? The N64 was more advanced than the PS1 however by far....but Sony wasn't thinking about that. Goldeneye was arguably THE biggest property that year. IF it'd come out on the PS1, and not N64, it'd have helped the PS1 immensely. But....

Also, speaking of Nintendo games and discs, can we just forget the CD-I ever existed?

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

2019-01-05 21:56:47

rofl @JaceK,
Thanks for filling in the gaps I left open.  You're truly right on all counts.  I was just amused by the apples and starships remark.  Id' say it's more like comparing a car from a well known brand to one made by some company who's usually only known for selling house appliances.  Honestly, I still don't feel bad for post 4, as it is firstly just my personal opinion, and also, because as I said above, Sony really did have the last laugh in the end.  There are probably more modern games on Sony consoles I'd rather play nowadays as opposed to those produced by Nintendo.  As it pertains to everything before the year 2000 though?  Nah...

2019-01-05 22:03:18

@JaceK
"GREAT! I CAN'T WAIT TO BOMB SOME DODONGOS!"
Zelda CDI quotes for the win.

Back to the topic at hand, I'm not too impressed with this system, like most of the reviews on it, from the included game lineup, some of the games being PAL versions as opposed to the NTSC versions, to the price tag which is a little too much, if you ask me. People have done some amazing hacking stuff with it, like they are doing with the NES and SNES Classic Edition consoles, though. It's gotten to the point where retailers are even moving the price down to I believe $60, which was the same exact price as the NES Classic when it came out in 2016.
I'll just stick with my Raspberry Pi running RetroPie, thanks.

2019-01-05 22:30:22

I'm personally surprised that there aren't any Crash Bandicoot games on the console. I could be wrong about what console they originated on, but I know that they were a Sony exclusive for the longest time.
Also, the director's cut of Resident Evil? Now you have to listen to the crappy basement music...
Also FamilyMario,
"Oh Boy! I'm so hungry, I could eat an Octorok!"
lol

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion

2019-01-05 22:55:27

@Mitch
"Look! How Militron makes his warriors."
"Worthless Koridian, you must be hardened with fire!"

Okay, I'm done.
Anyways, Crash was on the PS1 first, actually.
The fact they put Resident Evil: Director's Cut on there kind of blows too, especially because you have to listen to this beautiful angelic tune for the basement. I mean, listen to those beautiful out of tune trumpets!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kcF7E69C6Q

2019-01-06 02:26:02

I've been considering getting an android os or similar type emulation console and wonder if the os supports a screen reader, if i might be able to install and run it. Its a little off topic but since we talking about emulation anyway...

Also the apples to starships thing is a reference to how different in nature ps1 games are to nes and snes games. I like them for different reasons, and really can't compare them and say why one is better than the other.