2019-01-02 17:35:07 (edited by Caccio72 2019-01-02 17:59:03)

Computer: a Desktop Pc, I5 processor, quite fast and strong, adjusted for gaming, with above average speed internet connection.

Operating system: Windows 10

Screen reader: NVDA

Current primary browser: Google Chrome.

Back then I had enough of Mozilla Firefox, especially since it became slower, and less accessible due its certain modifications.
So I changed my primary browser to Google Chrome, which seemed to be more appropriate for screen reader usage.
However, I am starting to experience more and more annoying problems, issues, inconveniences with it lately.

As a veteran, devoted gamer, I mostly play online games, and participate in online communications, like chats and forums, those are my favorite spare-time entertainment.

Can you guys suggest, recommend a browser, which would, hopefully, suit my computer, its operating system, my screen reader, and expectations better?

2019-01-02 17:50:21

A browser named Safari was recommended to me, but by a sighted person...what do you guys know about it, how accessible is it?
(haven't heard of it by now)

2019-01-02 18:09:28 (edited by flackers 2019-01-02 18:12:42)

I don't know if it will suit your needs, but when I finally got sick of internet explorer, I settled on Opera. It doesn't have any major accessibility issues I can think of. What I like best is the built-in ad blocker and vpn, and the settings are easy to navigate using a screen reader. I am talking from a jaws user perspective, but NVDA can usually do everything jaws can do, and when it comes to browsers, it's often ahead, so I expect it would work as well as jaws.

2019-01-02 18:27:58

Yes, I tried Opera too, but way back in my sighted period, I found it better than Explorer, but not as good as Firefox...however, knowing my issues with Firefox, I may try it now again, but with a screen reader this time of course.

Many thanks for your suggestion!

2019-01-02 18:33:01

i have tried safari on windows 7 in which it wasn't accessible
in my openion chromium the opensource browser of google it might be accessible and it is a opensource  so the bugs will be fixed fast
as well  as you can try firefox it is working fine in mhy laptop

thanks and regards.
Krantikari
visit my Youtube channel for technical related stuff

2019-01-02 19:54:13

Google Chrome first, and Waterfox comes second for me.

2019-01-02 20:07:27

I use microsoft edge. Although I use narrator these days, I had tried it with Nvda and it worked fine and fast for me

2019-01-02 20:23:50 (edited by Mayana 2019-01-02 20:25:23)

I use Firefox and wouldn't switch to anything else. It is accessible, fast enough for me, and among the better browsers for those who care about privacy, especially with all the good add-ons and about:config tweaks. I'm sorry that it didn't work well for you, but perhaps you could give it another try? True, it was quite a bit slower for some time after the Quantum update or whatever it was called, but it's back to normal now, at least for me.
For websites that don't work well with Firefox, which are extremely rare, I usually just use Internet Explorer. That's only a few times a year anyway. I tried out Chrome, but wasn't fond of it. I actually found it much less accessible than Firefox. To each their own, I suppose.

Yes, I definitely left the forum. Mhm. Why would you have any doubt?
Code 7 tips: https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/4010 … or-code-7/
Don't forget to be awesome!

2019-01-03 00:00:43

Personally, I've never had issues with NVda and chrome, whether on web games or general net browsing.
I'd be interested to know about these problems you mention since it is possible they have workarounds.

For example, I currently have a chrome addon which disables all tabbed browsing and converts anything that opens in a new tab to a new window, since personally I always  prefer switching windows to switching tabs.

similarly, Chrome's bookmarks manager is a pain to use, but if I use the applications key and select "edit" I can do anything I want with bookmarks such as creating new folders, or moving them around without needing to tangle with it.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-01-03 06:57:03 (edited by Caccio72 2019-01-03 07:12:36)

As 1st, thanks for all your suggestions/recommendations guys!
Edge is also a browser I am planning to try out btw.

As for your inquiry Dark...sigh...it will be a looong list, hope you will have the patience to read it to the end.

So my current issues with Google Chrome are:

1. It became filled with advertisements. (this wasn't the case before)
After I close it, 2-3 advertisements, of quite an aggressive type become active and pending, despite all the malware aand spyware interventions we tried with my sighted friend.

2. It won't start normally, after each system reboot, I have to start it twice in order to be able to use the "alt" button for accessing options, since after the 1st launch it doesn't function properly, gives some sounds instead of options appearing.
It sometimes forgets even my google account name and password, and starts "browsing as a guest", without my bookmark and settings, till I log in into google.

3. It simply "swollows" the lower part of longer textual files I write, starting from a certain character or line limit I guess.
Nothing I wrote under that limit appears when I wish to view, or edit the textual file, everything goes blank, as if nothing wmore is written, and there seems to be no way to adjust or fix this.
Normally other browsers have no such problem, the whole text is readable/editable in Firefox for example.

4. When using Facebook and its messenger, (and I use it the most of the time lately, due my newest nr 1 favorite game Text Spaced, which runs on FB-messenger), very often the lower part of the text and options gets swollowed, they, so the last few lines simply disappear, or won't appear at all, but at least this can be solved by a refresh with F5 key, it can still get annoying due occuring very frequently though.

5. Emoges don't work properly neither on messenger, nor on Discord chat of Text Spaced, actually they almost totally fail.
The only case I can read them is when posted by others in certain Discord chats, but not in all...so only in some of them. Whenever I try to send an emoge, and start browsing among them to select one, only "image" is read for all, and most recently not even that is read anymore. (this also wasn't malfunctioning before, I could use emoges perfectly in Discord chats)

6. Many of the messages, almost every single of them in Facebook, in messenger and on Discord are read multiple time in a row, starting from FB related ones, then those related to the Text Spaced game in messenger, and then the replies in its Discord chat channels.
Oh, of course I am using the mobile version of FB, it still has less accessibility issues than the normal one.

7. After using the browser for a longer time period, certain screen reader functions start failing, or the whole NVDA sbecomes so laggy, that it cannot be used properly anymore.
There are even cases when it totally freezes, for example sometimes after trying to jump over very long text, by using the "page down" key repeatedly.

And these are only the problems/issues I can remember at this very moment, if I would take some more time thinking, I could certainly come up with further ones.

Again, the most of these problems didn't occure, weren't present before, in the time I started using Chrome as my primary browser, so all is becoming worse and worse, Google starts functioning more and more inaccessible to me, as if it's...dying, or suffering by a severe desease...or infection.
(tried running several anti-spy-malware programs, no results, no interventions, no clue, no cure found.

2019-01-03 06:58:32 (edited by turtlepower17 2019-01-04 04:37:45)

I've edited this post because I realize that I got an answer to my question as I was typing my own post, sorry about that.

As others have said, I haven't encountered any of the issues you describe while using Chrome. I can't speak to the Facebook issues at all, since I don't use Facebook, but everything else, particularly the unwelcome ads, definitely sounds fishy to me. The only annoying popups I sometimes get are Youtube recommendations, and I could fix that if I really wanted to, but I've been too lazy to do so as of yet. I would install UBlock Origin if you haven't already, that should take care of ads for the most part. There's also Popup Blocker Strict, which will ensure that no window will open without your consent, not even legitimate sites in a new tab. You have to either whitelist particular sites that you want to bypass that, or go down to the bottom of a page and click the allow button if you've tried to open a page which tries to open in a new tab. There are other add-ons I keep in my toolbox, HTTPS Everywhere, Privacy Badger, etc., but those are more for maintenence purposes. They're good to have on hand, but won't necessarily solve your problem.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2019-01-03 07:52:04

As for Firefox, what annoys me like hell is its modification of combined lists: Ever since it was applied, I have to press space in each single combined list, in order to even start hearing its elements, (can hear nothing at all until I press it), and then, especially in case of multiple combined lists, which occure quite often in games, (when selecting options/settings for example), I have to press tab even twice to move on to the next list, setting,  or option, then press space again to activate that one...etc.

Plus, in cases I press exit to quit the selection of the list elements, instead of the actual, already selected one, the 1st one in the row appears as chosen...it can make one confused like hell!

I really have no idea, why Firefox developers had to spoil, to ruin this combine list feature this much for screen reader users, when it was working perfectly before that dumb, senseless, pointless modification of theirs...

This issue is making me pissed off like hell eacn time I encounter it, so it was the main reason why I have given up using that browser, the reduced speed, which seems to be fixed recently, was only my secondary reason.

2019-01-03 18:51:36

Hmmm, it actually sounds to me as if your chrome install has become severely corrupted, or infected with spyware since I have experienced none of these problems you mention with adds or lag etc, even on my lower spec laptop.

I did have an issue where the windows notification bar was giving me advertisements, but C cleaner's new option to clean trackers fixed  no trouble, I also have C cleaner specifically set to clean Google chrome's history regularly. I also have an addblocker addon installed, indeed between C cleaner and the free version of Malware bites I've had fewer spam issues with Chrome than I used to have with Ie.

I can't speak for the facebook problems, but in terms of display and browsing I wonder if the issues your having are more related to spyware than to chrome specifically.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-01-03 19:43:20

Here's my opinion on browsers. Nothing wrong with having multiple browsers. I use chrome or brave browser
at the developer for stability. Also brave has this useful reader mode, I've know is inside chrome but I've never been able to use the feature
https://brave.com/download-dev/
, and then i use Firefox nightly,
https://www.mozilla.org/en-CA/firefox/channel/desktop/
because since they stabilized the new interface with v60, ever since then the nightly browser has been rock solid for me. Then for good measure, if you need old NPAPI firefox plugins I recommend Basilisk web browser.
https://www.basilisk-browser.org/

2019-01-03 20:52:51

At first, I would check the active add-ons in Crome. Maybe there is something you can deactivate that causes those ads, but obviously it can be that those programs don't show up there. I use Crome too and the problems you mention don't seem to be Crome getting worse, because I never encountered any of this.

We are pleased, that you made it through the final challenge, where we pretended we were going to murder you. We are throwing a party in honor of your tremendous success. Place the device on the ground, then lay on your stomach with your arms at your sides. A party associate will arrive shortly to collect you for your party. Assume the party submission position or you will miss the party.

2019-01-05 13:38:50

Well, my sighted pal ran a few anti-spyware programs and cleaners, but couldn't find anything...yes, C-cleaner I have also used in the past, maybe it will help, thanks for the hint!

As for adds, I did check, and deactivated-re-activated their blocking, did the same even for notifications, nothing helped.
(my friend also suggested this to me)

But yes, my pal tried his 1st attempt remotely, with the help of the Team Viewer program, it looks he will have to visit me in person, hopefully he will be more successful with fixing Chrome then.

2019-01-05 23:47:49

I dont know about Safari.I heard that is an apple browser.But i use Google Chrome for almost 5 years now and i dont have any problem with it.
With my screen reader is very easy to use.Its fast easy to use and in 5 years i think i had like 10 crashes in total and that is when the cpu is 100%.