2019-01-03 19:35:50 (edited by Chris 2019-02-22 00:50:43)

Hello all,

After trying to help numerous folks host online peer to peer games by forwarding ports, configuring VPNs, etc, I have decided to host my own server. I currently have a Sound RTS server, a Road to Rage server, A Scrolling Battles Pro Online server, and a Three-D Velocity server. You can connect to Road to Rage by typing christopherw.me into the server box and the default port of 6789. Ghorthalon, you should consider adding the server to the server list so it's easier to connect to. The Sound RTS server requires Sound RTS 1.2c12 and can be reached by selecting the Chris option in the server list or typing christopherw.me into the address box. The TDV server should connect by typing christopherw.me into the connection box. The SBP Online server can either be accessed using the server list or by typing christopherw.me into the address box. You may also access it by choosing Chris's server from the server list. It uses port 19217.

I'd like to expand this as time goes on. I really want to host a central Crazy Party server, but I have to wait until Pragma creates a server application and modifies the game to let people host and join games by connecting to said server. If anyone else is willing to do this, contact me via forum email. I'm sick and tired of this port forwarding and VPN bullshit. It requires a certain level of technical knowledge and is impossible for some to do. It shouldn't be so complicated for people to play these online games and have fun.

I'll try to keep the servers up as long as I can. It doesn't cost too much per month, so I should be fine unless it's abused, spammed, etc. Have fun! Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2019-01-03 19:42:42

Cool! I forget if Tactical Battles has servers, and though it's not played much I know Audio Quake does...
TS3 as well.

2019-01-03 19:46:02

Do those games have server applications? If they require someone to actively host, I can't use them. I'm running a Linux server from the command line. I'd love to host a Top Speed 3 server, but the current implementation doesn't allow for an unattended server.

2019-01-04 04:44:59

I'm using a VPS with CentOS7, can I host a game server?

2019-01-04 05:12:08

@Chris,
Quite nice, this... I may jump on sometime soonish and give RTR another spin after years of not playing.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2019-01-04 05:15:12

Yes, you should be able to do it on CentOS 7. Install Wine for most Windows console applications. TDV requires Mono, but I haven't figuredo ut how to connect to it. I've tried allowing all the ports it uses through the UFW firewall, but it doesn't help. Disabling my firewall works, but I'd rather not expose my Linode to the open Internet. Any suggestions?

2019-01-04 05:20:26

amazing criss, would love to battle you on rtr at one time, i love rtr and it should be played more. Maybe you can slo host a tk server, roflflflflamo jk.

2019-01-04 05:21:11

sorrry for double posting, but yeah download rtr now wait didn't i just download it? meh whatever, downloading it anyways roflfl

2019-01-04 14:41:42

Thanks @Chris. I have a CentOS server, not my personal computer at home, it shouldn't be the problem much.

2019-01-04 16:41:12

may be you can host a server of the old sbp?

I am a divine being. I can be called a primordial deity, but that might be pushing it, a smidge. I am the only one of my kind to have ten tails, with others having nine. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I have ascended my own race.

2019-01-04 18:17:17

If SBP has a standalone server application, it will probably work. I'll check into it.
Does anyone know why TDV won't work? This is extremely irritating! When I check the port, it says it is closed even though the server application is running in Mono and I've allowed the port through the firewall. At this point, I'm starting to think it's either the server application or Mono.

2019-01-04 18:29:31

Try contacting Pragma, The  developer of Crazy Party

2019-01-04 18:48:39

I'll send him one more email. I don't want to flood him with requests, but it would be great if I could get a central Crazy Party server up and running.

2019-01-04 19:26:52

Hi.
Regarding the firewall: Setting up a firewall in Linux can be extremely complex. If you are just using the server for gaming, you can just turn it off to save yourself a lot of trouble.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2019-01-04 19:38:56

I'm using UFW to manage the firewall. I haven't had problems with anything else except the TDV server. I'm planning on using the server for other things besides gaming, so leaving the server open to anything on the Internet isn't a great idea.

2019-01-04 19:41:33

if you want i can give you his Skype

2019-01-05 04:24:16

Pragma got back to me fairly quickly and it seems like he's open to the idea. We'll see what happens.

2019-01-07 06:01:14

Is it my server or what? After I connected, a few seconds later it says that the server is unavailable.

2019-01-07 06:12:51

What server are you trying to set up?

2019-01-07 08:53:11

TS3 doesnt use centrelized servers/

2019-01-07 11:01:36

@Chris, I'm trying to run an rtr server

2019-01-07 17:32:10

Chris, love the RTR server.  Haven't played it in years because the servers listed on the server list do not do jack shit.  Glad their is a working server for RTR.  That game is good, and needs to be played.  Great work.  Hope to see a Crazy party server soon.

2019-01-07 18:40:53

i agree. i love playing with yall on rtr, its always fun! if anyone ever wants to rtr with me, add me on skype at either live:austinschwan_02 or isuck on skype, and sen dm me a message. Just state that you found me on this forum, and i will be happy to add you back! no forking!

2019-01-07 18:58:08

can't wait to play these, rtr is fun, a cp server sounds fun, i'm trying to learn tdv, it's kinda complcated, and I don't get srts at all

----------
“Yes, sir. I am attempting to fill a silent moment with non-relevant conversation.”
“You don’t tell me how to behave; you’re not my mother!”
“Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.” – Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

2019-01-07 21:01:01 (edited by Chris 2019-01-07 21:02:49)

Crazy Party will only happen if a standalone server application is released. TDV doesn't seem to work no matter what I do. I think the server app is buggy, so I won't be hosting that until or if it's fixed. I've also contacted Nyanchan to see if he's interested in either making a server application or central server for Laser Breakout. I would contact Aaron about Manamon, but I don't think he cares and he should be the one to host a central server for a commercial product.