2018-12-30 07:29:09

if anyone wants a keyboard layout that keeps the same shape as the normal keys but works with the dvorak layout, get it here

I don’t believe in fighting unnecessarily.  But if something is worth fighting for, then its always a fight worth winning.
check me out on Twitter and on GitHub

2018-12-30 09:09:40 (edited by Chris 2018-12-30 09:20:22)

I didn't know about these new versions. I'll have to check them out and get back into this game. What's new? I agree with the idea of adding a spectator mode prior to starting the game. Destroying your buildings after you've started isn't ideal.

I have a question about the server. I've been thinking about setting up a permanent server hosted on a Linux VPS that anyone can connect to from the server list. How do I go about doing this? Can I run the server application from an SSH session and set it to public? Should I use the Linux version or try to run the Windows application using Wine?

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2018-12-30 09:40:30

@拓海 sorry guy, but can you explain some more what is your dilema? I can't understand it completely.

As I understand, the default behavior of unit, if a enemy is in a range of attack (archers have more than the infantry) the unit start the attack to the target. But if the target is only at sight range and not attack range, the unit do nothing.

Example:
If an archer attacks to a soldier at a distance of 16, if the distance of attack of the soldier is only 8, the archer isn't in attack range, so the soldier doesn't answer the attack and keep the position dying in a moment... This is the default behavior except if the unit is in defense mode. On defense mode, the unit runs when is receiving any damage.

Really I can't see the problem with this. If you consider that the archers have a absolute advantage to the melee units, is probabli necessary adjust the range of archers, life of soldiers, or any other numerick value for valance; but create custom behaviors depending the type of a unit is... Well add more difficulties

@soundmud a small question, is currentli implemented the "small range attack"? or only the range.

minimum range attack; if a unit is a smaller distance than the setted, the attacker can't attack.

smile

like for catapult; can't attack totthe units that are nearly.

2018-12-30 14:59:54

I heard that in StarCraft, you can use a unit to pull the entire army of the enemy away.
Based on this feature, I thought of the above features, adding different behaviors depending on the mode of the unit.
However, as I said, it is a bit difficult to implement this feature, and the player’s operational burden has increased.

sanslash332 wrote:

@拓海 sorry guy, but can you explain some more what is your dilema? I can't understand it completely.

As I understand, the default behavior of unit, if a enemy is in a range of attack (archers have more than the infantry) the unit start the attack to the target. But if the target is only at sight range and not attack range, the unit do nothing.

Example:
If an archer attacks to a soldier at a distance of 16, if the distance of attack of the soldier is only 8, the archer isn't in attack range, so the soldier doesn't answer the attack and keep the position dying in a moment... This is the default behavior except if the unit is in defense mode. On defense mode, the unit runs when is receiving any damage.

Really I can't see the problem with this. If you consider that the archers have a absolute advantage to the melee units, is probabli necessary adjust the range of archers, life of soldiers, or any other numerick value for valance; but create custom behaviors depending the type of a unit is... Well add more difficulties

@soundmud a small question, is currentli implemented the "small range attack"? or only the range.

minimum range attack; if a unit is a smaller distance than the setted, the attacker can't attack.

smile

like for catapult; can't attack totthe units that are nearly.

2018-12-31 03:12:05

SoundRTS 1.2 continuous 11 is available.

The file is there: (Windows only)
http://jlpo.free.fr/soundrts/continuous … indows.zip

Changes from 1.2 continuous 10:

Water squares:
- shipyard (trains water units; must be built near water and not on a plateau)
- boat (transport), destroyer (fires arrows), battleship (fires like a catapult), submarine (invisible and detector)
- 2 maps with water: jl6 and jl7 (in jl7 aerial units move 4 times slower over water)

Various bug fixes:
- the client will recover from minor errors (sturdier)
- bug fixed: a unit entering a zero speed square would be stuck and couldn't go back
- bug fixed: the "say group status and follow group" command (space key) would say the initial square instead of the new one
- bug fixed: when changing player the name would be the same
- by default, add_units will choose "a1" (instead of raising an error)

New verbosity parameter in SoundRTS.ini:
- by default: menu_changed, unit_added, unit_complete, scout_info, food, resources, resource_exhausted
- unit_added may be too verbose in most cases (raise_dead and summon)
- scout_info and resource_exhausted are probably useful

For a Linux server this file might help:
http://jlpo.free.fr/soundrts/continuous … .2-c11.zip

2018-12-31 04:39:53

ok, good

2018-12-31 05:10:23 (edited by Tuohai 2018-12-31 07:16:32)

Decrease the unit movement speed or increase the unit movement speed. I think it can be specific to each unit in rules.txt.
For example knight:
Speed 2.3
Mountain speed 2.5
marsh speed 1.3
This looks more flexible.

2018-12-31 07:52:33

I set up a Linode Linux VPS and uploaded the Sound RTS folder. I installed Python 2.7 and python-pygame. I ran the server.py file in the main directory and was told the server was succcessfully registered. However, I can't connect to it from the server list. It says the server is unreachable. What am I doing wrong? Is my Linode blocking incoming traffic? Do I have to modify anything else in the SoundRTS.ini file? The only thing I changed was the name. By the way, the server manual should be expanded. It doesn't provide a lot of information on the available options.

2018-12-31 08:27:32

Very nice! Will have to play with this. About terrain, I still think it could be good to define it in rules. But instead of defining a movement for each unit on each terrain which would get very tedious, rather have a default movement modifier on terrain like we currently have, then have an optional movement value for a unit on a particular terrain that would override the default. That way you can for example have forests that slow down most units but some units can move through it normally. Would it also be possible to allow effects on squares to modify speed of units or to provide a certain level of cover for the duration of the effect?
Another thing, when making maps, can you make it so that you can use numbers more instead of having to repeat things as often as we currently have to. For example, instead of additional_meadows a1 a1 a1 a1 a1 b2 b2 b2 can you make it so you can just for example say additional_meadows 5 a1 3 b2.

2018-12-31 16:39:32

@Chris
In most cases you will have to configure your router to forward incoming TCP connections through port 2500 to the local IP address of your server.
The server.py file doesn't require pygame.

2018-12-31 16:47:05

Shipyards, water, sweet!
Thanks!

2018-12-31 17:34:29 (edited by Chris 2018-12-31 21:04:04)

I'm not hosting the server on a local computer on my local network. I'm hosting it on a Linode VPS which I thought could accept incoming connections from the internet. Is it a problem with my VPS?

edit

When I run the server.py file over SSH from Putty, the server works normally. However, as soon as I close the console window, it stops. This doesn't make sense. The server should be running on the remote VPS, not my local computer. Why does closing my SSH window make it stop working? Is there something obvious I'm missing?

2018-12-31 21:49:43

@Chris
I'm not sure but it reminds me when I had a Debian server with a ssh connection from which I ran a SoundMUD server. I had to use a utility called GNU screen to keep the session alive even if I turned off my Windows computer, I think. Another tool, tmux, seems similar to screen.
https://serverfault.com/questions/19634 … sh-session

2018-12-31 23:16:22 (edited by Chris 2019-01-01 02:32:59)

Thanks for the screen suggestion. This is exactly what I need. Now the server is running even if I close my terminal window.

Is there a limit to the number of players on the server? Is there a way to change the limit if there is one from the SoundRTS.ini file? I saw an option in there for channels, but I'm not sure what that is.

2019-01-01 03:11:52

There is a place that doesn't quite understand.
For example, a1 and a3 are both oceans, and a2 has shipyards.
So is the recruited vessel staying at a1 or a3?

2019-01-01 03:43:18

The vessel will be created in the nearest square from the shipyard.

2019-01-01 19:09:32

If there is no open space in the north and the south to build a shipyard
Only if there is space in the East and West, how do you decide where the vessel stays?

SoundMUD wrote:

The vessel will be created in the nearest square from the shipyard.

2019-01-02 00:04:47

There is no other rule. If both distances are the same, one side will be picked, always the same side.
At some point shipyards will be built only on the coast, and will be present on the border, like a wall, but it's a bit tricky to do.
Maybe right now I can allow the player to select a sub-square so the shipyard will be moved to the side that the player wants.

2019-01-02 03:54:05 (edited by Tuohai 2019-01-02 13:33:03)

ok, i understand.
Maybe right now I can allow the player to select a sub-square so the shipyard will be moved to the side that the player wants.
Can try, feels necessary.

SoundMUD wrote:

There is no other rule. If both distances are the same, one side will be picked, always the same side.
At some point shipyards will be built only on the coast, and will be present on the border, like a wall, but it's a bit tricky to do.

2019-01-02 13:20:03

Hi,
A friend and I are working on a new kind of map/mod and in the process I'm trying to create an AI that is able to attack and build the necessary units, yet I'm having a few problems. I based my AI on the current ai.txt file, but I'm only increasing attacks and amounts of units, also instructing that the AI use abilities and acquire all the new buildings in the process.
Yet all the AI does is to send a few attacks of a couple of units, then after a while a few peasants, then simply giving up entirely.
Is there anything obvious I'm doing wrong?
Also, @Soundmud, if you have the time it would be nice if you can update the documentation on AI creation as what's currently there is just a basic introduction.

Brendan
-----
There is one rule above all others for being a man.  Whatever comes, face it on your feet.
@bcs993 on twitter, feel free to follow!

2019-01-02 17:44:15

Hi again, from Canine Kingdom. Yes, that's right. It's my server running lately. CanineKingdom.
Though when I play the game and I'm looking for other servers in a list, I only see mine. is there an outgoing port that I need to forward too? I forwarded 2500 like instructed, and yesterday I saw someone connecting to CanineKingdom, but I'm running the terminal server, that's server.exe from my Windows10 machine so I didn't see when they logged in. Only when I checked the server.log file in the tmp folder of User, did I see that someone could connect from outside. But I cannot connect to other servers from here. The only other thing that I think may have happened is that Soundrts maybe updated from 1.2C11 to 1.2C12 without me knowing/it being said on this forum, so my server is out of date, or, I need to open an outgoing port so my pc can reach the server list.

To know, and not to do, is not to know.

2019-01-02 19:20:41

Well, again, thanks for the updates for the c11 version!

Sound all really awesome, and viewing the rules file, you can create various others kind of terrain smile

Well, some quotes:

@拓海
Decrease the unit movement speed or increase the unit movement speed. I think it can be specific to each unit in rules.txt.
For example knight:
Speed 2.3
Mountain speed 2.5
marsh speed 1.3
This looks more flexible.

This is a hard to implement, and dynamic.
What appens if you in your mod don't have marsh but desert?
And you have to define that for every unit that you have in your rules?
No, bad idea.
That element concern to the map, will be in the map files; and if you want apply a general rule use a type, taking advantage of the inheritanse feature of the rules file.

@soundmud:

If you mark the shipyards as a doors?

Only can build them in exits (ground to sea) and is a door, for ground units can pass to the ocean and board the boats.

If you block your exits with other things... sad for you.

Thanks for the updates!

2019-01-03 06:56:03

That reminds me, something I've noticed before that I think may be a bug, you can build any building on an exit. We sometimes accidentally build farms on exits, blocking movement to and from that square. It has been possible for a while, I just forgot to mention it before. Could you maybe change it so normal buildings are only buildable on meadows, since making squares without meadows means you don't want it to be possible to build normal buildings on them.

2019-01-03 07:20:59 (edited by Tuohai 2019-01-03 07:23:05)

I feel that there is no need to cancel.
In some emergency situations, ordinary buildings can also help us resist enemy attacks.
So ordinary buildings are built on the exit maybe that is not as bad as imagined.

2019-01-03 20:36:26

@zakc93
I had this impression too recently while creating a map. Allowing a farm on an exit was an attempt to imitate the gameplay found in Starcraft. On the other hand Starcraft doesn't have walls. Maybe building a farm on an exit should be allowed only if the square has at least one meadow inside (built or not).