2018-12-29 00:06:43

Hi folks,
during holiday, I want to finish some of my projects, or at least bring them to phase where they will be ready for release.
One of them is my multi-language BgtKit library, which offers the most used features of bgt language in mainstream programming languages like C# or Python.
Before I can think about releasing something, I must standardize classes, so they will look at least similar in all languages.
And the question, which I am facing right now is, do you really need soundpool class to be instantiatable?
In bgt, this class isn't static but rather dynamic, what forces programmer to declare a variable of its type before using it.
But I can't think out any real use of having more soundpool instances, so I'm thinking of making it static.
What are your opinions on this? Have you ever made more than one instances of soundpool and why?
I myself have never, but on the other side is fact, that I have never made out a big project like STW or Redspot in BGT, so there may be other factors I have missed.

Thank you!

Best regards

Rastislav

2018-12-29 04:08:56

I don't completely understand, but nI can't see the use of declaring more than one sound object, unless you want to organize, but even still...

----------
“Yes, sir. I am attempting to fill a silent moment with non-relevant conversation.”
“You don’t tell me how to behave; you’re not my mother!”
“Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.” – Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

2018-12-29 09:18:50

Yeah dude i had a bunch of sound pools in one project. For sure make it instantiatable

---
Co-founder of Sonorous Arts.
Check out Sonorous Arts on github: https://github.com/sonorous-arts/
my Discord: kianoosh.shakeri2#2988

2018-12-29 15:51:27

why do you want a custom soundpool class?
My language bgt projects only needed you to change one variable and everything else was done by the other scripts themselves.
Just make it so that changing one variable changes the language, or something like that

ReferenceError: Signature is not defined.

2018-12-29 17:20:43

I'd say this is more than necessary. In online games, for example, we have a main pool for playing general sounds, one with an increased pan step for playing far off explosions and such, and one for ambience/sound sources.

2018-12-29 18:51:02

Depends on lots of things, but in short: yes. You can have different pan_step, volume_step, max_distance, etc with each pool.
Does this make sense with a first person game, or the all-too-common low-scenery side-scroller? No, not really. However, we're not making just those.
And someone did mention a good case even for first person realisticamabobs: extra distant sounds. FWICT, even mainstream libs don't handle this sort of thing well without some fiddling. Rolloff, perilax, max distance, filters, etc, etc.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2018-12-29 18:51:22

Depends on lots of things, but in short: yes. You can have different pan_step, volume_step, max_distance, etc with each pool.
Does this make sense with a first person game, or the all-too-common low-scenery side-scroller? No, not really. However, we're not making just those.
And someone did mention a good case even for first person realisticamabobs: extra distant sounds. FWICT, even mainstream libs don't handle this sort of thing well without some fiddling. Rolloff, perilax, max distance, filters, etc, etc.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.