2018-12-07 06:53:49

My friend has a suggestion.
Redesign each unit a command list.
For example, we select peasant, then press a to expand a menu and press the arrow keys to navigate through the menu.
Of course, after expanding the menu, you can jump to a command by pressing the corresponding hotkey.
For example, let the peasant go somewhere, we can press AA, the first a is the expansion menu, and the second a is the corresponding command hotkey.
We will press AC to build the farm, so the efficiency will be greatly improved.
Various buildings can also use this method to design menus.

2018-12-11 11:48:03

I like this new version. The only problem that I find, is that the new version is not promoted on jlpo.free.fr/soundrts
The only versions stated and promoted there is the old stables, and soundrts 1.2a10, or is that soundrts1.2A9? Eitherway, the continuous versions are not logged/stated/promoted there, so I didn't know these new versions even existed until last week. Oh yes I got the updates from the mailing lists but they pointed me to the website, not the new downloads for the continuum versions. Fix your website, jeane.

To know, and not to do, is not to know.

2018-12-11 12:35:38

hi, The c series is a beta version, not a final version.

Tablen wrote:

I like this new version. The only problem that I find, is that the new version is not promoted on jlpo.free.fr/soundrts
The only versions stated and promoted there is the old stables, and soundrts 1.2a10, or is that soundrts1.2A9? Eitherway, the continuous versions are not logged/stated/promoted there, so I didn't know these new versions even existed until last week. Oh yes I got the updates from the mailing lists but they pointed me to the website, not the new downloads for the continuum versions. Fix your website, jeane.

2018-12-13 04:45:51 (edited by Tuohai 2018-12-13 11:53:53)

Recruitment completion, upgrade completion, and research completion can all be represented by sound effects.
Including the depletion of gold ore, the forest is depleted, you can also use sound effects instead of tts reading.
When peasant puts gold down, there is no need to read the current amount of gold.
To reduce the workload of tts, tts is only responsible for reading the battle information.
This allows the player to get the latest news under certain circumstances and avoid message queuing.

2018-12-13 09:16:41

We may have found a bug. Harming effects appear not to do any damage. For example, the magnetic fields of the robots or thunder bolts of the orcs do not harm any units on the same square. Another thing, the ability to cast something on an adjacent square does not seem like it works the way it used to, as units now have to walk closer to the adjacent square to cast. This is fine for units, but some buildings that have abilities with nearby as the target can't reach adjacent squares. This is especially an issue for the vermin race that depend on generating stumps on adjacent squares to spread. Many of the buildings can't create stumps on the adjacent squares, which makes it harder to get buildings in other squares.

2018-12-14 04:51:55

Hello again!

@拓海

respect the command list suggestion, that is implemented now.
you can press alt+a (when you have selected a unit or buildin) and the game told to you all the options with a correspondin key, so for example if build farm is f, you can
select peazants.
press alt+a
and next, press f.
done

This only works, if each comand have an asigned shortcut key in settings.txt
Crazymod didn't implement this on any race.
Is a missing point of crazymod, not soundmud; if your test in vanilla, you can see it.

And no, please no. not popup menus; they slow down the game.

@拓海:

Recruitment completion, upgrade completion, and research completion can all be represented by sound effects.
Including the depletion of gold ore, the forest is depleted, you can also use sound effects instead of tts reading.
When peasant puts gold down, there is no need to read the current amount of gold.
To reduce the workload of tts, tts is only responsible for reading the battle information.
This allows the player to get the latest news under certain circumstances and avoid message queuing.

you can do and change all of these things for sounds, in settings.txt

Is doable without problem
Any mod, vanilla or crazymod implement that, but if you want, you can modify one of them to test.
I used it in a very old mod with starcraft sounds.

And friend, don't read all of these messages, simply skip thems.

that is for all smile

bye!

2018-12-14 09:40:53

I think I understand the issue. Abilities now have a range in metres, and the default is 6, so if if a building is too far from the adjacent square it doesn't work. If this is the case then it's not an issue, the crazymod just needs to be updated. This might also be behind the effects not causing damage, since effects now need a radius. Still, if the default is 6 it is still surprising that they don't seem to harm any units in a square with several units, so not sure if that is the issue.
Soundmud, can you provide a list of the new commands in the continuous version? They're not properly documented yet. For example, are there detection and cloaking ranges? And what does bonus_height do?

2018-12-14 10:58:03

thank you

sanslash332 wrote:

Hello again!

@拓海

respect the command list suggestion, that is implemented now.
you can press alt+a (when you have selected a unit or buildin) and the game told to you all the options with a correspondin key, so for example if build farm is f, you can
select peazants.
press alt+a
and next, press f.
done

This only works, if each comand have an asigned shortcut key in settings.txt
Crazymod didn't implement this on any race.
Is a missing point of crazymod, not soundmud; if your test in vanilla, you can see it.

And no, please no. not popup menus; they slow down the game.

@拓海:

you can do and change all of these things for sounds, in settings.txt

Is doable without problem
Any mod, vanilla or crazymod implement that, but if you want, you can modify one of them to test.
I used it in a very old mod with starcraft sounds.

And friend, don't read all of these messages, simply skip thems.

that is for all smile

bye!

2018-12-14 13:54:57

I've identified the issue with harm effects. They don't work when some target types are specified. The explosions and meteors that have no target type and just damage everything work fine. But when some target types are introduced, such as harm_target_type unit or harm_target_type building it no longer works. Oddly, other types seem to work. I tested harm_target_type air, ground and healable, and they work fine. I haven't tested any others, but so far it seems like only unit and building are the problem.

2018-12-14 20:34:05 (edited by SoundMUD 2018-12-14 21:12:37)

@Tablen
Thanks for the info.

@zakc93
Thanks for the precision. I had already noticed (this afternoon) that the problem happens only with "unit" and "building". And I have fixed the bug, probably introduced with 1.2-c1.

About ranges, I hope that most maps use squares with a size of 12.

At the moment, by default:
sight_range = 8.5
detection_range = 8.5
cloaking_range = 6

About bonus_height:
bonus_height = 1 for units like towers or giants. Really tall ones. Even if they are at a lower ground, they should see all the units on a plateau. Air units have a height of 2.

2018-12-16 07:25:05 (edited by zakc93 2018-12-16 07:56:13)

Ah, good to know it's fixed for the next version. So bonus_height just allows a unit to attack plateaus like it's a normal square, but has no other effects? And is the effect_range for abilities 6 by default regardless of which of the old keywords are specified? And regarding is_ballistic, does it just increase the range of a unit when it is on a plateau? And by how much does it increase it?

2018-12-20 11:11:14

Would it be possible to release a new version with the fixed bug? It's a bit of an issue, and gives some races a disadvantage

2018-12-21 04:37:45

SoundRTS 1.2 continuous 10 is available.

The file is there: (Windows only)
http://jlpo.free.fr/soundrts/continuous … indows.zip

Changes from 1.2 continuous 9:
- now auto-gather and auto-repair can be disabled (enabled by default)
- now workers will auto repair allied buildings (or repairable units)
- fixed "harm_target_type unit" and "harm_target_type building"
- fixed: now equivalent types of units won't be applied to campaign missions (in chapter 1 of the crazy_traditional campaign, the farm was erroneously replaced by random equivalent types; another solution would consist in using a new name for traditional farms, like "traditional_farm")

Terrain (experimental):
- improved terrain in map jl5, and in chapter 1 and chapter 2 of the default campaign
- now terrain and resources are known when a unit is one square away
- new cosmetic terrains (title, ambient and footsteps): river, lake, sea, ocean, mountain, mountain_pass, big_bridge, ford, marsh (in a map file, for example: "terrain sea a1 b1 c1")
- ground (footsteps): grass, leaves, gravel, wood, mud, water, snow
- a speed modifier can be defined for any square in a map file (for example: "speed .5 1 a1 b1" for half speed; "speed 2 1 a1 b1" for double speed); the first number is for ground, the second number is for air
- a cover modifier can be defined for any square in a map file (for example: "cover 0 0 a1 b1" for no cover (default); cover .75 0 a1 b1" for 75 per cent chances for ranged units to miss a ground target in the square; these miss chances are combined with the high ground miss chances); the first number is for ground, the second number is for air

For a Linux server this file might help:
http://jlpo.free.fr/soundrts/continuous … .2-c10.zip

2018-12-21 07:22:27

Nice changes! The terrains should add an interesting touch. If you could make it so that only certain units can go through a certain terrain, then we could have the water and water-going units that people have always wanted. Maybe at some point in future the terrains and their unit-slowing and cover-providing properties can be defined in the rules. It would be interesting to be able to modify those properties in individual units then. For example, having a terrain that slows down most units but some units could move through it normally, or a terrain that blocks most units but some can move through it.

2018-12-23 15:45:03

OK @soundMud, you done the job with the last update.

Sounds very nise and awesome the last changes; you done it, man!

@zak93
Your idea sounds very good; but the problem that i see on that is... How many depended of the rules we want that be the maps?

This can have two ways, as I see. Define all things respect to the map on the map file, like terrain, cover properties, speed bonus, etc, and with that you can apply any map on any mod, or all things are on the rules, and the map file is only a template that we only can use in mods with similar rules.

Is a complex decision  that soundmud have to decide, witch things are really on rules, settings and map files, and how many are connected all of them, and ofcourse how many of that can be overwriten for certain situations.

Is something that we can grab for so many angles.

For example, we can have maps that are mod dependent, if the terrains are defined on the rules, and mixed with the settings files; currently a map can have its own settings if I'm not wrong, but... All of this is a work in progress.

The only that I'm sure, is that I love this work. This game is the most debeloped game in the community.

And well, the future is radiant for the engine; we have terrains. For now are estetical, but is a update thing that add things like buildings that you can onli build on a for example sea square, terrains that prohive you build anithing except for a race, buildings that can modify the terrain, like infested it and name a lot of many, many things.

Thanks Gean.

2018-12-24 06:46:51

Turns out if you set the speed to 0 or too low it freezes the game when a unit tries to enter a square with that terrain. I was too lazy to find the exact point at which the value is low enough to cause a freeze, but I can tell you that .1 is fine, while .01 isn't.

2018-12-24 16:26:19

@soundmud a small, very small request for a nexts updates...

Can you add the option to set players as observers in online mode at the waiting room? And of course, also the creator of the room can move  players?

Is basically for have the option  to can create tournaments, with judges that can see the games and register them; currently you can't have observers in the game; the only way is start and other player destroy your things. smile

In the same way, if possible, add the option to change the name of the replay, for have replays with custom names to can order it, or select it  easier.

Thanks! that is all!

2018-12-24 16:43:46

Hi,
Wow, it seems to be a very good game! Going to give it a try. Will ask here if I need help.

Thanks for reading my post.

2018-12-26 01:16:57

I just encountered a strange bug. While playing, my game froze while everyone else's continued. Oddly, I could still hear unit upgrades being completed, but I couldn't control anything. Also, all the visible squares did not show anything on them, not even paths, whereas squares in fog of war showed what was last seen as usual. We played on a rather big map with 9 players, 6 of who were AIs. Is this what happens now when you're desynchronised?

2018-12-26 01:20:49

Oh and one other thing, effect_radius does not seem to work I think. At least increasing it does not cause an effect to damage adjacent squares, regardless how high the value (tested up to 60 on normal width 12 squares).

2018-12-26 19:14:38

@zack93
I think it's not a synchronization problem, probably a rendering problem, maybe a division by zero error caused by a very low speed while rendering footsteps. I will at least ask the game to catch every error during the rendering phase so a minor error cannot prevent more important interactions to happen.

At the moment, there is no parameter for heal/harm area radius (fixed to 6 in the code). The effect_radius isn't used for this; it's used for teleportation, recall, raise_dead.

@sanslash332
To start as an observer, you can ask your workers to destroy your buildings.

2018-12-29 09:26:12

@soundmud a! obvious jaja.
But the idea is have that option from start, but as a workaround can be fine.

thanks!

2018-12-29 14:39:42

Now The game is currently in a dilemma:
Because the unit of attack distance is far superior.
For example, when an archer attacks an infantry, if the player does not respond fast enough, the infantry will be easily killed.
My friends and I have been discussing and the results are very difficult.
Solution:
In attack mode:
As soon as the enemy enters the scope range, the unit will automatically attack.
When an enemy tries to get close to the archer, the archer will choose to retreat to maintain the distance from the enemy.
If it is in defense mode:
After the enemy enters the scope range, our unit will not take action.
Unless the enemy enters the square where our unit is located
Then the unit will run away.
But in this way, the complexity of the operation will increase a lot.
But if do it too simple, will lose a lot of fun.
What solutions do you have?

2018-12-29 18:06:25 (edited by Kyleman123 2018-12-29 18:17:57)

I'm having trouble with chapter 8 in the campaign. if my undead forces get to the guard towers, they never kill enough and always die. any help.
/edit of course as soon as i post about this, the next thing is i go and beat it.

I don’t believe in fighting unnecessarily.  But if something is worth fighting for, then its always a fight worth winning.
check me out on Twitter and on GitHub

2018-12-30 00:01:10

Lol, sometimes it seems the world has a sense of humor. A very annoying one, I don't think I always find it funny!