2018-12-22 04:20:15 (edited by hacker 2018-12-22 04:23:58)

Hi, the tar file is an image of the armv8a rootfs. To extract this image to a card, use a linux distribution capable of formatting and writing to ext4. First, use fdisk to partition the card. Make two partitions, one from 512B to 100M formatted as fat32, and the other from 100M to the remainder of the card, formatted as ext4. Once the partitions are formatted, mount partition 2 on /mnt or wherever, create a directory under that mountpoint called boot, mount partition 1 on that boot directory you just made, cd to the first mountpoint, and run
ln -s /dev/stdin /dev/st0;curl https://nashcentral.duckdns.org:8100/au … oot.tar.gz|bsdtar -xz
If you get an error about bsdtar: command not found, install bsdtar from your package manager. On arch, do
pacman -S bsdtar
Once the file is downloaded and extracted, unmount both partitions, unplug your card, plug in your new card, USB audio device and keyboard, and apply power.
Since this image uses the mainline kernel, it will only run on pi 3 and newer. It uses the fenrir screen reader for speech output. For audio output, I would recommend the use of a USB sound card if not running headless. The default login is username alarm, password alarm. For root access, sudo is used instead of su.

2018-12-22 04:34:14

Oh wow! Why not simply create an .img file that can be flashed to a card?

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2018-12-22 04:54:27

Hi. The reason that I cannot create an image  in this fashion is that I do not know how large the card will be. Also, my storage capacity will not permit me to store one image per card size, i.e. one for 32 GB, one for 64 GB, etc.

2018-12-22 04:55:38

I do have to thank you though, that gave me a new weekend dirty ass hack to try *evil laugh*

2018-12-22 09:51:06

Gonna try to flash a card from the Jenux image with everything.
Will that do the work for me? I mean, will it partition the card correctly?
I will keep the system which came with the board, NEOBS something on its own card and use my 64 gig one.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2018-12-22 11:20:26

Okay, @48: I got no issue with respins. What I got an issue with is, well, the fact I had issues with....

1. The download speed. I am on a 80 mb/s connection writing this, Every other download goes at 3+ mb/s so why, exactly, is the ISO stuck at sub 20 kb/s? It's not location. I can pull down files from Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Japan and so forth, or, all over the world, at speeds of 1mb/s or greater, yet yours is the only file that will not, consistently, crack 100 kb/s on my conection, using wget, Firefox's own DL manager and other download managers.

I find it convenient you said okay, it's an Arch respin then didn't answer my other questions about the scripts. Yes, you could go get and inspect the scripts, but....that takes knowledge and not everyone knows how or is willing to learn how to do that.

Next up, @whoever mentioned the Sonarr falling out, care to send a source for that?

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

2018-12-22 11:40:08

I started to install the system in vmware and the Iso downloaded fast here and do not know, the download of all scripts is faster than what ever file I download from what ever server in windows, here reakes 6 mb or so and other downloads can not get over, well, 2 mb.

2018-12-22 12:37:19

@56

You were asking about the fall out between the Sonar and Vinux teams, right?

Well, uh, enjoy listening and reading!

http://www.eyesonsuccess.net/show%20not … 201719.htm

NB. Its unclear when its ever gonn be officially released.

On an unrelated note, for those who like using Emacs, the Arch only User Repositories has v42 of Emacspeak, though the latest is version 49. Interestingly, Arch does have Emacs 26.1, which is the latest.

As for  the server load, wondering if Daniel has thought of teamming up wit Kyle, thus having an extra mirror?

2018-12-22 12:53:17

Error, failed to install packages into the new rut, retrying.
And the thing checks the packages integrity much slower than in the first place.

2018-12-22 13:49:47

Thanks Queens, gonna get popcorn and listen and read that. I only ever heard they merged and people stepped down

@Hacker: Can you independently verify answers to my and Ethin's questions then because right now I see an Arch respin with scripts that have no confirmed error handling, and no backup plans if they fail. Don't get me wrong. I like the idea, sure, I like the idea, but...

Also on Linux natively

2018-12-22 16:04:18

@60

Me, Trenton Matthews, thanks you kindly.

I honestly wonder why Sonar would want to end a project like that, especially since if more people tried out Manjaro in a virtual machine, that'd be another wonderful distro to look it, especially since its based off of Arch.

2018-12-22 16:16:03

If you got any more sources @Queens, send them on over my way. I've a whole jumbo bag of popcorn to eat through. Also, as a side note, it bugs me when people claim stuf like Mate or, even Arch isn't accesible without specialized distros. On the Ubuntu side of things a stock Mate image, all you do is turn Orca on and go from there. Sure, it doesn't have all the fancy accessible stuff but, ya know, you set it up yourself.

Also, Manjaro itself is good. I like the idea of this Jenux one too, and I noted it has Ratpoison. Does it come with Strychnine? Because out of the box, Ratpoison isn't the world's most accessible window manager. It's insanely fast, yes, and it's insanely awesome, but it needs Strychnine to work with Orca. Or did when I tested it 6 months ago?

@Hacker: Again.

Instead of saying oh, download the ISO, and I'd have to wait 19 hours, why not simply list the packages it comes with, or goes and fetches by default.....on the site? Sonarr used to do that for their distro and it was an easy way to say alright, Sonarr has X version of packages.

Also, @Queens, general Arch Q, since I'm playing around with a Talking Arch system that's being set up in a VM. Can I leave the packages alone and tell an Arch system I only want *THE MOST IMPORTANT* security updates like I can on Ubuntu>?

Also on Linux natively

2018-12-22 16:52:31

@JaceK

You can indeed, with all Arch distros, update the packages you need separate, instead of updating the entire system itself.
See the "Arch Wiki" for details.

As for more info bout that Sonar and Vinux merger, here's the only other post which talks about this in more detail:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/vinux-s … DSepmRBgAJ

NB. The Sonar GNU Linux site, is no more.

2018-12-22 20:29:07

Yeah, really not trusting this distro after neither Jaces or our questions have been answered. Might as well set up my own arch linux system and install ratpoinson (I've never tried that one before, would be an interesting thing to try).

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-12-22 21:30:29

@63 no, upgrading a specific package in arch is not supported. Only do full system upgrades. You can install a new package without upgrading your entire system though, for example
pacman -S espeakup
will install only the espeakup package and
pacman -Syu espeakup
will perform a full system upgrade and install espeakup.
Technically, you can do
pacman -Sy espeakup
which will get the newest version of espeakup whilst leaving all your other packages untouched, but it's a parcial upgrade and not supported. By not supported I mean it can break your entire system if you're unlucky, for example if the new package has been compyled against newer libraries, which then get upgraded as well, but other software needs the old libraries. See
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sy … nsupported
for more details

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2018-12-24 04:06:48

You folks who are having download speed problems with download the roughly 900mb iso, I personally am not, but I could upload it to my website if Hacker's alright with it. Probably oughta curve at least a bit of the bandwidth thrown at that server, lol. As for the Pi, Chris you can use the installer to install any of the images to a card which will automate the process for you. I personally just need to get my card formatted back into one partition to get rid of the Rasbian leftovers.

2018-12-24 19:33:29

Well, gonna wait for a better net and see if I can burn my freaking card, if I can, I will just order my pi.

2018-12-24 19:38:23

Hi, at Jack, post 66: If you'd like to mirror the iso, go ahead, shoot, mirror the entire directory tree if you'd like. Also, a few hours ago, I fixed the installer so it will propperly detect, partition, and format the card, even on a vm, so you shouldn't have to worry about cleaning raspbian's fluff off of your card. All I'll say is, who would've thought that an f instead of an e would've screwed up the device detection that badly. Anyways, happy holidays to all. Also, as of yesterday at around 18:00, the access stick nvda and ocr modules have been updated to take advantage of the newest nvda version, including addons, as well as bumping tesseract to version 4.0 in the ocr module.

2018-12-24 21:26:10

That is nice, gonna redownload the iso and burn my usb again, on my old computer, a VM wouldn't be a nice way to do anything and that is because, well, I am used to my fast laptop lol.

2018-12-25 00:15:07

I'm stuck. I downloaded the iso disk image again but can't use it to flash an image to my SD card for a Raspberry Pi. When I load the iso into VMware Player, I have to press enter a couple of times after the virtual machine is started and then check to see if the virtual sound card is connected. If it's not, I have to connect it and then I hear speech. When I choose the option to flash a raspberry pi image, I can't find my USB drive in the list. All I have is a 40 GB partition and a 700 something MB one. I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting my drive using the VMware Player menus, but that doesn't fix it. I also can't figure out how to back out of that menu once I'm there. Control d and/or escape does nothing. Also, how do I navigate with this screen reader? All I can do is tab and arrow around. I can't read status information onscreen.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2018-12-25 01:27:23

@70

The screen reader used at startup, would be the "speakup screen reader."
find the manual over at

http://linux-speakup.org

2018-12-26 06:47:37

Honestly would not recommend using a virtual machine to do the image flash. It doesn't even like my sd card (it still thinks there are two partitions when I clearly got rid of them and reformatted the drive. But at least it recognizes the the card is there in the first place. Just have to get it to work now is the problem. But usb or drive support royally sucks in any virtual machine preinstallation. Plus there's really no reason to go virtual when flashing the sd image. The installation iso is under a gig so you can burn it to a disk.

2018-12-26 06:48:27

Also, I've a question about the Kodi distribution. Is that based on the same bare-bones Arch distribution with Fenrir that you can also obtain, just with Kodi and associating addons installed?

2018-12-26 16:06:01

Hi,
Has anyone had any luck with the kodi build? After installation, I get to a screen that says:
"Reachted target user interface, graphical.target"
Then Nothing.
I wasn't prompted for a username or password during the installation faze, either, so i can't open anotehr vt, log in and diagnose teh issue.
Thanks.

But sometimes the world is better without sight...
Because You can see the world how it really is...
Dark.

2018-12-26 16:12:06

also, sorry for the double post, but the android versions do not appear to work, at least, not from the iso.
I get he error:
"curl: no URL spesified." sorry for any inaccuracies in that error, I'm not coppyign directly. I guess I could try installing with a serial console and then copy the output directly but not sure how well that would work.
Thanks.

But sometimes the world is better without sight...
Because You can see the world how it really is...
Dark.