2018-12-22 16:50:36

So what's up with this...

Error 429 Too Many Requests

Too Many Requests
Guru Meditation:

XID: 504972951

Varnish cache server

I mean it's obvious, but where are they all coming from, exactly. Or, rather, is it actual requests, or is there something more sinister afoot, like a bot swarm causing it?

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

2018-12-22 17:07:32

This should hopefully answer your question.
Go to the forum index thing.
Check the number of registered users.
Wait 1 to 2 minutes.
Reload the page and check again.
Yeah... oopsy.

2018-12-22 22:20:34

I was going to post and say it's calmed down. Yet the fact I click on here, causes the error. Well then.....

Seriously though, hoping that it gets fixed soonish.

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

2018-12-25 15:00:53

I think it's the problem with PHP. Because it's sent too many requests to the database system.

2018-12-25 16:53:48

its annoying

2018-12-26 10:25:48

only annoying? .  it’s crazy

2018-12-28 07:36:01

I get this error almost every 5 seconds when browsing the forum. This error *needs* to be fixed.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-12-28 12:11:15

That's quite interesting. I get it rarely, maybe each 20th topic I enter and even then a simple page refresh is enough.

2019-01-02 19:05:09

It's gotten even worse now, I had to refresh the page over 20 times just now to view the forum proper, forum feedback, and this topic.

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2019-01-03 04:45:33

I'm not getting it anymore, got it once and a refresh fixed it. But if the registered users count is going up then a botnet just hit this joint and the error isn't under their control. It's either whatever webserver they're using is totally unhappy with the amount of connections open on it, or maybe cloud flare is bitching about it, but I'm pretty sure it's not php and the db. By requests it means http requests. These botnets probably just seek out any bb forums on the googles and try as hard as they can to piddle their shit. They won't get very far I don't think if they're generic bots because of the introductions topic.

----------
An anomaly in the matrix. An error in existence. A being who cannot get inside the goddamn box! A.K.A. Me.

2019-01-03 17:28:01

That was happening to me quite a bit last week, but it seems to have calmed down for the most part, at least for me. I think I've only seen the error once in the past few days.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2019-01-03 20:34:55

My server uses NFTables for its firewall and has a list of over 500 IP addresses that are known to be apart of, or host, botnets, in its ban list. That list is also apart of most routing tables, but I slapped it in there in case my servers router happens not to have those addresses. My server has never generated a 429 (then again, I don't have a forum at this time). If the admins like, I'd be happy to open that list up to them. The full list is available at https://iplists.firehol.org/files/fireh … l1.netset, but to get it to work with mine I had to do some fiddling. (My firewall IP list also blocks all betternet IPs, too, which is a plus. If people wouldn't use it as a ban evasion system, they wouldn't be on there. But they do, so they are.)

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-01-11 07:19:06

I find it a bit worrisome that in the 18 or so days this topic has been up, there has not been any staff response to it. Something like we're working on it would have been sufficient. Is that not to be the result of all this that's gone on in the past few months, more transparency?

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-01-11 12:16:37

Because the staff itself cannot work on it, even if they with all their heart wanted to. They are in just as hard situations as us, because they have to wait for webmasters to do it as I understand.

2019-01-11 16:43:55

@nidza07 is totally correct here, the only people who will be able to fix this will be Richard and Sendermen.

2019-01-11 18:46:09

That's cool, but we have a lot of users who might not know that, so an official response, even one to say that it cannot be fixed until those guys can get to it is better than hanging questions imo.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united