2018-12-20 12:20:11 (edited by siria 2018-12-20 12:20:57)

Hi all! I'm playing a lot Mortal Kombat 9 with my sighted boyfriend, and we where looking into other fighting games to have some variety... Maybe we'll buy also Mortal Kombat XL, but, for now, we want something that feels different. I personally don't like street fighter because of the difficulty of the moves - I don't want to destroy my analogs to pull them of Xd -, but I'm looking for a game with a similar audio, I think SF has the best out there. My boyfriend, on the other hand, is a great fan of Tekken, that I don't like because it's not in stereo. So, I was looking into Killer Instinct... It seems to me a fast paced game, the audio is great, the combos don't seem too mashing buttons. However, I'd like to know how playable it is. I mean, is it hard to execute a combo breaker? There are any interactable arenas? And, not related to accessibility, but still... Do the characters feel different one from each other? Thank you so much... And sorry for the long post ahahah!

2018-12-20 16:28:52

Hi Siria,

Maybe I am not the best expert of KI here but from my experience I can say it's really fun game. Every character feels totally differend, the sounds are crafted just amazing. There aren't any interactible arenas and about combobreakers? Well, hard to tell as I believe it's just a thing you need to practice a lot as there's no audio indicating what buttons you need to press (correct me if I am wrong) Basically what I am doing there is I am just trying to catch the attacks pattern if it's slower, heavier or faster to know if I should press LP+LK, MP+MK or HP+HK.
As I said I am not expert as there are people who are just playing and playing KI and they can tell you more.

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2018-12-20 16:56:32

i also have a question too, what's the difference between KI and KI definitive edition? can we get stuff for free in it or we
have to pay?

2018-12-20 17:10:39

I just put Killer Instinct on my computer. I was wondering how do I redeem all of my purchases that I have made for the game?
I bought it on xBox and decided to play it on my computer since it's a play anywhere title.

2018-12-20 17:45:11

Killer Instinct is definitely a great game, one of the best. But if you don't like SF style moves, you're going to be disappointed... there are very similar motions in KI and in most fighting games, for that matter.

Discord: clemchowder633

2018-12-20 17:48:46

@3 and 4, you shouldn't have to. The definitive edition unlocks every single character, all you have left is cosmetics that you can earn through leveling anyways.
@1
Pro tip, don't use your analogue to play fighters... lol but that's a subjective opinion. Pad all the way.
Also, if you're actually comboing, you shouldn't be mashing anyway. tongue But yes, I do recommend KI. Combo breaking is a matter of learning the difference between the sounds for lights, mediums and heavies. Each strength as it goes up hits slower and also sounds harder, so it's basically all learn to tell faster and faster until you can actually react to them.
And yes, every character in KI will feel different to play, and also has their own kind of gimmick that makes them stand out even more.
Examples: Mira is my favorite character, she's a vampire who has linkers that do some serious damage, but she drains her own health and you need to land a specific move to get that used health back, otherwise it actually counts as damage. Aria has 3 separate bodies, each of which is good at something different. Cinder can set people on fire, doing damage over time. Etc etc.
If either of you is a fan of Dragon Ball, FighterZ I would also highly recommend. But that's a whole other topic. haha
Hopefully, this was at least a little helpful. If you have questions for me, feel free to ask.

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2018-12-20 18:41:36

Thank you all for your answers!
6: the characters you mentioned seem really cool... Especially the vampire one. So, for the combo breaker, I gues it's just a matter of listen and learn like in mortal kombat... That's cool too.
5: For similar motions, do you mean like making a quarter of circle with the stick backwards, something forward and then pressing some buttons? Because that's what I don't like of SF, and I don't see it in MK. However, if you say so, I'll check the moves before buying it on game faqs to see if it's less extreme Xd Keep in mind I've not played sf so much, so I'm maybe exagerating here, but it's just to give you the feeling of what I'd like and what I prefer to avoid.

2018-12-20 19:30:51 (edited by stewie 2018-12-20 19:39:42)

Killer Instinct inputs are less brutal than SF inputs, though SF inputs aren't difficult to pull off once you figure them out. I really recommend using the d-pad instead of the stick though, especially when blocking. It's far too easy to miss the direction slightly and lose a round. KI does not have the more annoying SF inputs like half circles, charge motions, and 360/720 motions.

There is audio for combo breaking, you need to learn the sounds for each character. A lot of them share sounds for particular attack strengths so that makes things easier. When first learning them I advise to focus on breaking heavier auto doubles and linkers first before trying others.

I also recommend lowering the music volume almost to 0 at first and just learning what everything sounds like. Unlike most games, you can clearly hear when characters jump most of the time and some moves (like Jago's b+hp overhead) have sound letting you block them, though it's not easy to react to. The amount of detail in the audio is vastly greater than most other fighting games.

There is a good KI guide here, though it may be a little overwhelming until you've played the game yourself for a bit.

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2018-12-20 20:11:06

Yeah, I mentioned the pad thing too. haha
But honestly if you want an intro to the motions that most fighters use, you're best off with Dragon Ball FighterZ. Quarter circles only, that one doesn't even have dragon punches.
I do agree about turning the music down when you first start though, but you'll definitely want to turn it back up later... KI's soundtrack is unparalleled.

2018-12-20 22:24:19

@Blindninja Is DBF really that cool? What about completing story mode and the map system and limited turns? I know it's offtop but I just want to know if I can fully enjoy the title.

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2018-12-20 23:41:24

I actually haven't even touched the story mode, lol I've personally been content with running the arcade mode and playing against friends whenever I have them over. Depends what you want.
I'm a huge DBZ fan and enjoy this tag type of game with MVC3-like controls, so for me it's totally worth it. But that's a pretty subjective thing, especially for that particular game.

2018-12-21 10:12:37

So, there was a big discount on Killer Instinct definitive edition, so yesterday night I bought it on steam... I'll keep you updated on how it turns out for me.
I also installed Dead Or Alive core fighters that's free... There's a lot to learn, the timing for throwings and tacles and it's in 3D, but the audio is great and my boyfriend likes it, so I'll experiment with this one too... Maybe I actually experimented too much yesterday, because I dreamed it all night long ahah.

2018-12-21 18:51:14

Dead or Alive is definitely easier to play than Kiler Instinct or similar. No quarter circle inputs or things like that.
@8, KI does have half circles, just not as many of them as SF does... and lack of charge motions is definitely a plus. The inputs are definitely easier in KI, especially button presses for combos. Special move inputs are about the same, imo. I don't find SF's quarter circles and the like difficult at all, but that's subjective I suppose.

2019-01-07 11:27:43

Hi! I just want to update you on how it's going with the game... Because it's working out very well! For now I'm experimenting with Glacius and Maya, and I find them very usable. I'm also learning combobreaking... For now I can break only the heavy stuf, but it's incredibly rewarding.
Thanks so much for your tips.
Happy playing

2019-01-07 19:06:19

Hi.
Having downloaded the free version to my Xbox, I still plan to dive into the game. I can't find the controls for the Xbox, but only the low and high kicks and punches.
Is someone still working on a menu guide for the game, or is there any complete guide somewhere?
Is there any tutorial in the game to practice the basics?

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2019-01-07 21:28:56

There are only six buttons. Three punches light, medium and hard, and the same for kicks. They're mapped the exact same way Street Fighter controls are. x, y, and rb, A, B and RT respectively.

2019-01-08 08:46:24

Oh, just that simple. Much simpler controls than I thought. Thanks a lot. I've never really got used to Street fighter. smile

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.

2019-01-09 09:47:34

Hi!
At SLJ: if you want, I can make a menù guide for the steam version, but I can work on it only starting by next week.

2019-01-26 18:48:32

Hi.
I have finally bought the game. To my big surprise, classic 1 and 2 are in their own sepret games. I thought they all were in the same Killer Instinct game.
Does someone have the menus for Classic 1 and 2? If not, would you be interested in such menu guide?

Best regards SLJ.

2019-01-26 20:48:44

The classic menus would be awesome.
@assault thanks for mentioning the controls, I'll also put them below in a different format as well in case some people understand lists better.
These controls assume you are using a gamepad, because I do not have the pc version and don't know the keyboard controls. While this is an xbox and pc only game, I'll still list the ps4 equivalents in case some people are using a ps4 controller on their pc. So, I'll put the action first, then the xbox one button, then the ps4 button.
action, xb1, ps4
light punch, x, square
medium punch, y, triangle
heavy punch, rb, r1
light kick, a, x
medium kick, b, circle
heavy kick, rt, r2
Hope this also helps.

2019-01-26 21:07:02

Also by default, lb/l1 is mapped to all 3  punches simultaneously and lb/l2 is mapped to all 3 kicks simultaneously.

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2019-01-27 13:47:11

Thanks a lot Aaron.
I'm lucky to get sighted help later today. I'll see how many notes I can write down of the classic menus, and then I'll work on a menu guide for classic 1 and 2.

Best regards SLJ.

2019-01-27 14:16:25

I honestly love how they implemented combo assist.  You can start off using it, then work your way up to not, all while having it on because it doesn't limit what you can do.  I'm close to turning it off with a few characters.  I will check the PC controls in a bit, remember them being very reasonable on the keyboard.  same with Injustice 2 and soulcalibur, but that's another discussion.  Fighting games sometimes have janky keyboard setups.
I do wish there was an option for a different font though.  It would make OCR a bit easier, however I was surprised to find shadow modes completely doable, with my only issue being lack of skill in tougher fights. tongue

2019-01-27 17:06:22

Hi.
Awesome news regarding Killer Instinct classic 1:
All the menus are being read perfectly by using OCR. So I have already started to make a menu guide for that game.
Regarding classic 2: OCR is kind of more difficult to use in that game. So I'll note as many of the menus as possible when I get sighted help in a half hour or so. Depending on how much time I have with the sighted persons, the menu guide for that game might take a while for me to make.

Best regards SLJ.

2019-01-27 22:05:21

Hi all.
Writing a menu guide for Killer Instinct Classic 1 and 2 was much easier and went much faster than I thought.
I hope you enjoy it, and find it useful:
https://forum.audiogames.net/post/407796/#p407796

Best regards SLJ.