2018-12-18 01:35:41

Hi,

I must say, that i haven't watched the video yet, but given all the feedback that is written here, and the descriptive answers of the developer, made me quite interested in this engine. Right now i am working on several projects written in bgt. These will remain coded in bgt as how the stakes are played now, but at a certain point i would like to move away from bgt for new projects. And this engine seems to be the engine i am looking for. Keep up the awsome work, and i can't wait to see where this engine is capable of.

All the best.

Greetz mike

Visit the following website to see what games we have:
http://www.nonvisiongames.com
Or the following English marketplace to see what retrogames and game merchandise I am selling:
https://www.retro-kingdom.com

2018-12-18 03:28:58

Hello,

It's really great to see project like this!~I am following you for a while and I am happy you're progressing a lot guys. smile

Regarding controllers? Well, I believe it's something what SHOULD be implemented. More and more gamers are playing using gamepads including me. I was growing up playing console games mostly so controllers are close to my heart and I must say I can't imagine playing games without my gamepad. You should consider adding DXImput.

I am interested how complex the games you will be able using this engine. Right now I am thinking about things like day / night cycles and of course events like shops are close at nights. Also what about extra stuff during battles like Summons from Final fantasy 8? Like, loading bar during the turns and after that just autolaunching the summon like a long sequence (for everyone who remembers it from FF)
This is something I am missing in every audio RPG: Great battle system, complexity.
All the best for the whole team!

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2018-12-18 03:37:21

Hi I was thinking about making a game where animals have to be rescued from traps and you have to kill enemies that are trapping them.  I think this would be a great tool to make it with.

2018-12-18 03:55:28

Hello there Lemm, karate25 here and I have got to tell you that I am absolutely loving the hek out of this project you're working on here my friend. For ideots like me who can't code their way out of a home security system, this set of tools sounds exactly like something that I'd love to pick up and mess with to build something fun. I'd like to see the ability to be able to gather resources like wood, metal and other things to build buildings Etc and build things like factories and other buildings so that you could build something like an empire building sort of game that would run in real time where you could grow your empire from a small village on up to a thriving kingdom or something similar. These are just thoughts of course but I'm loving what I'm seeing thus far and keep us all posted by all means and I'm going to keep close watch on the videos. Have a wonderful day and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

2018-12-18 07:10:46

Not to be a drag or anything, but I can't really find a good answer on this, whats the difference symantically between scripting and triggers? The scratch engine is very similar with drag and drop code blocks not unlike trigger systems in Starcraft and others, like a GUI simplified form of programming. Would it be considered a scripting UI? Simplified scripting? The point being that if there is a form of event triggers, which could be interpreted as a form of scripting, it might be considered a bit disingenuous to say that there's no coding, text handling, or scripting.

As for cars, I think thats more a matter of presentation and character handling. For example have a car NPC the player can interact with, if the player "gets in" by, say, selecting a dialog option, replace the player sprite/sounds with the cars and remove the NPC so they can "drive" it places, like on roads where people can't go, or increase their movement speed, etc. For all intents and purposes it will seem like a person is driving, just not in an actual driving mechanics sense.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2018-12-18 08:59:53

Hi.
Thanks a lot for all the great answers in post 24. You have my full support. It's great to know what to expect, even when there are some limits. Keep up the fantastic job guys.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2018-12-18 19:45:34 (edited by lemm 2018-12-18 19:49:42)

Hi Everyone

Thanks for all the comments and video views, all of your support, interest and enthusiasm is all hugely appreciated by the whole team. I know it’s not always possible to answer everyone’s questions, but I’ll do my best to answer as many as possible below:
-One thing to bear in mind with Sable is that it has been specifically  designed to build RPG’s, so although there have been a few great suggestions come in,  some of these are just too far afield from the scope of what you would find in a traditional RPG that they just wouldn’t be possible in Sable.
-@ number 27, thanks for the interest in the project and for following us too. I’ll try to answer some of your questions below:
-Sable doesn’t support day and night cycles, but it’s definitely a good suggestion.
-as for controllers I’m with you on this, I grew up playing consoles and game pads and controllers are just natural to me, although they are not currently in sable it’s definitely something we’re talking about  .
-regarding your comment about final fantasy, three of the team here at Ebon Sky Studios actually grew up playing these games and are huge fans of the FF series (my personal favorite is FF7, but then who’s isn’t haha), actually as a small side note here  , Ebon Sky  Studios was formed just over two years ago now and was all sparked from a conversation between two people regarding the final fantasy series  and that’s how we started out and have grown to where we are now. But back to your question, we have all discussed summoning  and would love to see something like that  or similar in our games, it won’t be in the first title but maybe it will be in a later title, you’ll just have to watch and see what develops here.
-@number 29, so the conversation about crafting has come up , it’s not in there yet but may make it into future releases . You mentioned a resource management  mechanic , now I’m a big fan of these types of games, but sadly its beginning to veer away from  the genre of RPG’s , so it’s not something I could see making it into Sable.
-@number 30, thanks for the question, so I haven’t used scratch or the other programs you mentioned so I’m not familiar with how they work, so it’s difficult to comment or make caparisons between our   event triggers and theirs. What I can tell you about ours is that there is definitely no scripting required for them. Our event triggers are however one thing in sable you can’t create yourself, so all the event trigger types have been pre created in sable, this is why in a previous post I mentioned we are constantly adding  new event trigger options into sable to give more flexibility to the user. Event triggers are one of those things which are probably better shown than explained , so I’ll try and incorporate using an event trigger in the next video providing it doesn’t make the video too long, as personally  I’m a big fan of the event trigger system in Sable and really think it helps lend a lot of uniqueness to each game.

I want to as ever take the time to thank everyone for all the positive  feedback and comments, it’s really motivating to hear so many people excited about the project. I know I’ve mentioned this before, but I apologize if some of my questions don’t give definitive answers especially to stuff that may or may not make it into future versions of Sable, we have a huge list of stuff, ideas and mechanics we’d like to add or implement before the eventual release of sable, but we just can’t be sure what will definitely be included and what won’t, and we are very conscious  of not wanting to over promise or commit ourselves, so regardless of whether we think something is likely to make it into a future version or not if it’s not currently in sable  our response will always be ‘it may or may not make it into future versions’ or something to that affect,  I hope everyone appreciates our reasons for this and doesn’t see it as dodging questions.

The Ebon Sky Studios Team

2018-12-19 00:35:27

I am back with another warning to take caution. I hate to do this, but I feel like, well... we're too excited for this thing. It's like somebody announced a free day at the arcade and all kids, aka users, got wild. I'm not saying y'all are kids, no, I'm just using it to draw my analogy.

Point is, I'm excited, too. However, I'm excited at a new engine, not the amount of features it's going to have. To the original poster, with all respect, and I believe you already know this... you can't please everyone. I simply don't want the community to scream their heads off at little bugs and or errors the devs make upon release, and let's face it, there will be some. AHC is a perfect example. Anyone remember the time the server went down because of so many downloads? I sure do...

Again, my point for this post is simply this: Do not raise the bar up so high that the devs would not be able to reach it. Doing so will create frustrations for you, the customer, and the developers. Trust me... I know.

To the original poster, I am intrested in this project. Just remember the point above... You can't please everyone.

2018-12-19 06:15:46

This sounds really fantastic! I have a few questions.

You said that the maps also had a height or z axis. Does this mean maps can be truly 3d, as in forward, backward, left, right, up, and down? If so, this is fantastic and opens up all kinds of possibilities. Do you have plans to introduce a falling system? How about traps? Is the combat system turn-based or can you configure it to happen in real time?

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2018-12-19 09:25:23

@32 yeah, ff 7 is absolutely fantastic! I am really interested how the remake will looks like as the original isn't playable sadly compared to FF X for example which you can beat while totally blind. Thank you for your answer, I'll be watching and following development of this. smile

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2018-12-19 21:49:33

Hay, glad to see we now have something like RPG Maker, but for the blind!
Is sable going to have its own game?
I know that's kind of a weird question, but let me explain.
The RPG Maker series of games on the playstation systems were basically complete games in-and-of themselves.
the twist, once you completed the game you got a password that opened up the game in the editing mode so you could take it apart and see how everything worked and get ideas on how to build your own game.
I do realise that doing something like this would be tricky, but learning by doing sometimes works better than just a whole metric tun of documentation.
Anyway I just got the video and am going to watch it now...
Later!

2018-12-21 00:13:12 (edited by lemm 2018-12-21 00:18:36)

Hi everyone,

As ever thanks for all the positive comments, and below are a few more answers to questions which have come in:
-@ number 34, so to answer a few of your questions:
-Yes, Sable does support a Z axis, but at present the player can only move up and down the Z axis  at specific points such as things like stairs, doorways etc.
-there isn’t a fall system in place  due to the way mentioned above in which we currently handle z axis navigation
-traps can add an interesting mechanic to an RPG, we’ve played around with a couple of prototype ideas for traps, but can’t say at this stage whether they will make it into the final release or not, so this is one of those areas we’ll have to wait and see.
-as for the battle system, Sable only supports a turn based system for battles.
-@ number 35, I didn’t think any of the final fantasy series were playable  by someone totally blind, but as a huge FF fan, I’m really intrigued as to how this would work. I don’t want to veer this post off topic with final fantasy stuff though, but if you want to drop me an email off list I’d be really interested to know how that  works. You can reach me at my personal email paul.lemm@sky .com and like I said I’d be really interested in how this would work
-@number 36, i haven’t ever used RPG maker, but I think that the mechanic you mentioned where you can see how their  game was made  and edit it once you’ve completed it is a very clever idea. As mentioned in a previous post, we want to release two games created using sable before we release the development tools, this will give us a chance to hone sable before its release and hopefully show everyone what can be achieved using  sable. We probably wouldn’t include something which would let you edit these games, but I think when we release sable it could be a great idea to include a few pre-created maps for people to play around with and test stuff on to give an idea  of how stuff works. Again can’t promise this will definitely make it into the final release but it’s a really good idea and definitely something the team here will discuss in more detail.

Again huge thanks to everyone for all the interest in the project and some really great questions too

2018-12-22 03:50:45

A couple of questions with this engine:
Can we choose our own sounds or music to use for things?  And what about adding objects other than buildings or changes in surface, and What if I wanted those objects to be able to move around?  Is there a way to enable and disable the messages when you leave one area to go to another so that you can choose when screen readers don't say, for example, "leaving path to the inn," and so forth?  Is there a way to adjust mechanics like movement?  What if I wanted my character, or others on the map, to be able to fly, for example?  I've got more questions, but let's start with those.

2018-12-23 21:37:05

Hi,

@number 38, thanks for the interest in the project, I’ll try and answer a few of your questions below:
-with sounds you can add your own sounds for pretty much everything in Sable, so you can create your own step sounds, enemy sounds, music and much much more. I’ll actually be showing how to do this in one of the videos since its really easy to do and is a question we often get asked.
-with objects, yes  there are lots of other types of objects you can place , again I’ll show some of these in other videos.
-At present objects in Sable are static so don’t move around
-in the  demo where it says leaving path to the inn, the leaving notification is only spoken when leaving something  which you have manually labelled, so it wouldn’t read it every time you  move to a different terrain type.
-flying isn’t currently possible in Sable, but due to Sable having a Z axis  there is the potential for a mechanic like this to be added to sable, it’s something which  has come  up in discussion  between the team  here before, but whether it makes it into a later version of sable or not, we will have to wait and see.

Hope the above answers your questions and again thanks for the interest in the project.

The ebon Sky studios team.

2018-12-24 00:40:57

This seems like it would be cool, I'm excited to see what comes out of it!

Prier practice and preparation prevents piss poor performance!

2018-12-28 06:48:46

For those who are interested. Ebon Sky Studios uploaded part 2 of their Sable demo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DI3rYVO … ploademail

2018-12-28 07:01:20

I checked it already. Hopefully, this project will go well. I wonder what the first game will be. Excited.

2018-12-28 09:28:43

Seems sort of silly to have a z axis if we can't use it.

2018-12-28 12:36:18

Hi Everyone,

Hope you all had a great Christmas. we have uploaded the next video in the series  , I hope you all enjoy this video as much as the first one.  The link is below, We’ve also added the link to the oridginal post as well.

https://youtu.be/DI3rYVOrPME

Wishing you all a happy new year!

2018-12-28 13:05:53

Hi,

-@number 41, thanks for posting the link to the new video for us, you beat me to it haha. Hope you enjoyed the Video.
-@number 43, for the moment the purpose of the Z axis is to allow users to create buildings which are more than one story high, but as mentioned in a previous post  having the Z axis there means we could possibly add other mechanics  which utilize this at a later stage, but for the moment it is just for buildings.

As ever a huge thanks to everyone for all the interest in the project.

2018-12-28 14:00:02

HI

@lemn

a very impressive video again, as said, i am very interested to see on where this project goes, cause this is a very good candidate to be added to our toolbox smile

Keep up the awsome work

Greetz mike

Visit the following website to see what games we have:
http://www.nonvisiongames.com
Or the following English marketplace to see what retrogames and game merchandise I am selling:
https://www.retro-kingdom.com

2018-12-28 18:49:16

Hi.
Thanks so much for the second video. This is getting better and better. Keep up the fantastic job guys. Merry christmas and a happy new year to you.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2018-12-29 01:24:40

I want this software. and also if you are takeing beta testers, sine me up!

I am a divine being. I can be called a primordial deity, but that might be pushing it, a smidge. I am the only one of my kind to have ten tails, with others having nine. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I have ascended my own race.

2018-12-29 04:07:18

so, yet another product to make things easier for people and make it so they don't ever have to do work, graite! what happens if it ends up that the language it uses is shit? what happens if it doesn't work correctly? I'll probably still check this out, but i'm probably going to use actual code, because it makes me less of a lazy person

----------
“Yes, sir. I am attempting to fill a silent moment with non-relevant conversation.”
“You don’t tell me how to behave; you’re not my mother!”
“Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.” – Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

2018-12-29 04:42:32

Looks cool and I'm excited to see what develops. The turnoff for me is the fact that this engine only supports trn-based combat. I appreciate turn-based games and enjoy them, but we need a truly inovative realtime combat system. It's far, far overdue in the audiogames market... granted, my opinion may be an unpopular one. But there it is regardless.

Discord: clemchowder633