2018-12-11 05:46:48

Hey everyone,
Edit: This turned into quite a long post. TLDR: Please don't ask silly questions that can be found on google, what you hear is what you get, and I hope you enjoy and leave constructive feedback if you enjoy yourself.

So since hardly any blind players know just how usable and reasonably accessible Forza Motorsport 7 is, I decided to start up a small little let's play audio edition.

Rather than mess with getting it up on youtube (as I'm not looking for the subscribers nor am I really wanting to mess around with copyright related things, like game music), I'm throwing it up on any audio for folks to, hopefully, enjoy.

Before I get into the nuts and bolts, let me clarify a few things.

What it is: A let's play for folks to view, in audio, how I race, what I do in specific situations and how the game progresses. For people to sit back and listen to it as if it were a podcast, for folks who may not have an xbox one and are interested in racing or vehicles and, most certainly, a place for people to leave constructive feedback about how I could improve my commentary, questions on exactly how, for instance, an assist works.

What it is not: A place to ask where to get forza motorsport 7, if I know how to crack it, if I know how to turn on my xbox with narrator, if I know what the menu items are (this can come later, perhaps, but the menu system in this game is so vast I can't make a guide on my own). If I also know how to play (insert game here), if I know what the menus of (insert game here). If this can be played on your computer, where to get an xbox controller. Please don't ask. You'll be ignored. The answers to all but a few of these can easily be found on google. Sorry for making this section so huge but I don't want this topic turning into a thread of questions that a 2 second google search will net you.

Back on topic!
My end goal is to split it up into one segment for each event - (or division, as it were) assuming that I do the shortest races possible. There may be occasional deviations from this - tonight, for instance, I'm debating just doing a free play race and driving around, showing exactly how various assists work and how they function when they're on or off, how I actually drive (assuming it isn't raining), and what the various controls are. I already have quite a long recording made of most of this - and for those curious, it can be found here. It is too large for any audio so I hope folks enjoy. Please disregard me speaking far too close into the microphone - at times - that has since been fixed.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ybyj1u88vwkbq … f.mp3?dl=1

I'd just like to shed more light on this game as the go to seems to be Mortal Kombat and Killer instinct, not that that is a bad thing. I'm also a huge racing fan so there is that.

I hope folks enjoy it. I uploaded part 1 - which started with a minor mishap. It felt a little rushed so in part 2 I'll try and explain things in a bit more detail as I go along.

The any audio URL to my channel is
http://anyaudio.net/page?user=wolfman1360

Also note that there is no audio editing going on here nor will there be. I do not equalize things - what you hear is what you get - and this is not going to be 100% professionally done, which is yet one more reason why I'm not going on youtube. I don't have the money (much less use) for a mixer, blue yetty, or any of the other fancy desk microphones. If this upsets and angers you, please move on smile

Please enjoy and share with friends! More content coming very soon!

Something something something insert canine related comment here

2018-12-11 08:28:05

Hi.
wow... I look forward to get time to listen to the whole demonstration. Thanks for making this...

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2018-12-11 09:25:09

Up to part 4 already.
I'm stopping here for now to gauge interest and to see what everyone has to say about it.

Again, the link to the demonstration is:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ybyj1u88vwkbq … f.mp3?dl=1

And the link to the playthrough up to part 4 is:
http://anyaudio.net/page?user=wolfman1360

Note: the oldest posts are at the bottom.

Enjoy!

2018-12-11 09:29:05

Lol, it seamed that we two had the same idea in mind xd, just some hours before your playthrough I uploaded my tutorial on how to get started with FM7 which i had recorded a while ago for this forum but which I just uploaded yesturday evening.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2018-12-11 14:22:15

Heck yeah, keep it up. Actually maybe both of you guys should do this, since you guys might have different ways of doing things. In fact, I often watch multiple let's plays of the same game, just because the experience can be much different. I can't wait to start collecting cars. I got this in the big black friday sale, I just have yet to dive into it.

Take care, it's a desert out there.

2018-12-11 15:06:15

Hi.
Yeah sure, I'd just need to find out how you can reset your games progress, I have progressed quite far into the game and can only show new classes from competition 5 and up, I can also play the other ones again if people like to listen to these.

Greetings Moritz.

2018-12-11 17:51:20

What timberwolf did is he made a whole new profile. Although that's xbox not PC. I'm sure you could back up your save data somewhere.

Take care, it's a desert out there.

2018-12-11 20:00:17

only feedback I have is, love how the engine on that freakin jeep sounds.....besides that I really didn't learn anything new, maybe you need to go into more in depth about the assist, or show players how to turn them on

can i get a peace double harmony burger? no chaos

2018-12-11 20:15:36

smoothgunner wrote:

only feedback I have is, love how the engine on that freakin jeep sounds.....besides that I really didn't learn anything new, maybe you need to go into more in depth about the assist, or show players how to turn them on

Hi,
I can definitely do that. I was mainly answering a few questions from a few friends of mine - mainly can you be gentle on the throttle or not, how steering works, etc. It was very informal, very unplanned.

I can go through the assists really quickly and describe what they do/how they work in a later demo. It shouldn't take long - I can use that same jeep to demonstrate exactly how turning off specific assists effects the gameplay if folks wanted.

Regarding save data, since I'm on xbox, I simply created a new microsoft account specifically for this playthrough and went into forza's options and hit switch profile. In theory, this should be able to be done on the PC too.

I would love  a list of questions to go over so I can get an idea of exactly what people are looking for. So far it seems to be more in depth on how exactly to turn the assists on and what each of them do, which I can certainly do.

2018-12-11 20:33:07

some one needs to create the ultimate idiot proof guide for blind Xbox users!
Seriously we all need to know how everything works so that their can be a final source for all narrator and Xbox questions.
It would help us all very much and we would be so much less annoying haha.
As for this game I believe the same should be done, a written guide from start to finish.
I know this is a great deal of work so I will not pester yall with the same thing.
Just when you get the time start working on it slowly, If we can all come together in a google doc the guide will be amazing, both for this game and for blind Xbox users.

2018-12-11 20:38:42

Diegogaribay wrote:

Seriously we all need to know how everything works so that their can be a final source for all narrator and Xbox questions.
As for this game I believe the same should be done, a written guide from start to finish.
I know this is a great deal of work so I will not pester yall with the same thing.
Just when you get the time start working on it slowly, If we can all come together in a google doc the guide will be amazing, both for this game and for blind Xbox users.

An xbox guide for the blind? Those can already be found online. Narrator reads everything there is to be read so why do we need a blind specific one? Literally all you need to do is turn on your xbox, turn on narrator and you're ready to go.

Not sure how much of a guide can be written for a game of this magnitude. There are no FAQs online about it at all on mainstream. The menus are vast and huge and very hard to explain in text. I describe them a little in one of my recordings already and why I won't be trying to create a menu guide on my own.

2018-12-11 21:06:00

Hi.
Well, I can just say  again, for a Forza introduction, menu guide and assists, listen to my tutorial which I recorded months ago, the link is.
http://anyaudio.net/listen?audio=YG7qWkOLavvIy

@Wolfy, just to be sure, you have all assists on accept the automatic clutsh? I still have it on automatic, doesn't really matter because rewards don't improve when you turn off certain assists.

Greetings Moritz.

2018-12-12 02:55:15

simba wrote:

@Wolfy, just to be sure, you have all assists on accept the automatic clutsh? I still have it on automatic, doesn't really matter because rewards don't improve when you turn off certain assists.

Greetings Moritz.

Hi,
No, I have traction control and  stability control disabled, and manual with clutch. I find it adds to the challenge especially on more powerful cars. I also found that having all assists on in the later series was not paying me any credits at all - nascar series in particular comes to mind here and I also had to up the difficulty. Which then made me actually start paying a little more attention.

2018-12-12 04:52:52

I will admit, similar to the wolf, I had to drastically raise the difficulty by having all assists on. on the normal setting, I felt like I was just holding down rt the entire race. now I actually have to brake, take my foot off the gas completely at times, so on and so forth. we want a racing game to be playable yet challenging, not one that just does every single thing for us lol but hey xbox is trying, there stepping in the right direction which I highly appreciate. other companys could care less

can i get a peace double harmony burger? no chaos

2018-12-12 05:03:00

smoothgunner wrote:

I will admit, similar to the wolf, I had to drastically raise the difficulty by having all assists on. on the normal setting, I felt like I was just holding down rt the entire race. now I actually have to brake, take my foot off the gas completely at times, so on and so forth. we want a racing game to be playable yet challenging, not one that just does every single thing for us lol but hey xbox is trying, there stepping in the right direction which I highly appreciate. other companys could care less

If you want even more of a challenge, try turning automatic transmission to manual, then once you get the hang of that, try manual with clutch. I can do a bit of a tutorial on that now that I know you actually play the game.

Honestly I think the biggest issue for me is it's hard to know how much info people have/need. I don't want to be a bore but also don't want to give information that might be too much for some that haven't played the game.
Does that make sense?

thanks!

2018-12-12 06:19:55 (edited by seb 2018-12-12 06:33:45)

@timberwolf1991 you and simba convinced me, I recently purchased the game and it's now downloading. I don't have a good setup to record tutorials, but I'm definitely starting right away using manual with clutch. There are already great tutorials on youtube by sighted people explaining how it works, and they are well done. Manual with clutch definitely gives a good challenge but overall it's faster than automatic, so I'd also suggest people to try it. Quick question though, have you found a way to figure out how many gears the car you're using actually has? Keep up the good work, I'm sure what you guys are doing is going to help more people getting started playing This game. After doing a bit of searching, I also found this page describing pretty much what every driver assists settings are doing.
http://forza.wikia.com/wiki/Driver_Assists
So I'd say maybe a short tutorial would be nice, but for me simba's tutorial along with yours helped a lot. I guess it all comes down to searching and asking the right questions. I'll definitely keep you all updated once I start playing.

2018-12-12 07:06:52

seb2314 wrote:

@timberwolf1991 you and simba convinced me, I recently purchased the game and it's now downloading. I don't have a good setup to record tutorials, but I'm definitely starting right away using manual with clutch. There are already great tutorials on youtube by sighted people explaining how it works, and they are well done. Manual with clutch definitely gives a good challenge but overall it's faster than automatic, so I'd also suggest people to try it. Quick question though, have you found a way to figure out how many gears the car you're using actually has? Keep up the good work, I'm sure what you guys are doing is going to help more people getting started playing This game. After doing a bit of searching, I also found this page describing pretty much what every driver assists settings are doing.
http://forza.wikia.com/wiki/Driver_Assists
So I'd say maybe a short tutorial would be nice, but for me simba's tutorial along with yours helped a lot. I guess it all comes down to searching and asking the right questions. I'll definitely keep you all updated once I start playing.

Hi,
Yes, very much this.
I should also add that traction control and stability control are nice, but a lot of mods that, in essence, have replaced what turning off assists used to do (pay more money) have a requirement that one or both be disabled. E.g. instability, I believe losing control, and holding steady (though that one also might require breaking to be set to ABS as well). There are also mods for manual transmission and manual with clutch (get shifty, for instance). Mods that require you to drive in the rain (ideal conditions). Mods that simply increase your payout (payday, fast learner). Mods that give you specific payout increases if you get in 5th, 3rd, or first (top 5, top 3, winners circle). It's hard to figure out what mod is what at first, but theoretically the first mod NVDA reads using windows 10 OCR is the first one in the list. Continuing down the list will give you some random text but the next mod you come across is the second and so on. Once you buy one, performing OCR again will now let you see that you've purchased it. I know that's probably a ton of info, sorry. Just figured I'd give you a quick primer on how the race shop works.

That same site has a list of mods and what they do. It also has a list of cars. I don't really bother looking at the cars wiki too much and just experiment - I find it more fun by learning things on my own rather than reading up on things. If I have problems, I go back and look it up later. I'm very much self taught on this game and pride myself on it, but also understand if others don't feel comfortable with that approach, which is also why I'm doing this tutorial/play through. I certainly don't mind showing folks what I know.

One more thing to add here. Traction control and stability control both have three options available. Super easy, which doesn't let the tires spin at all and applies super heavy breaking if you oversteer. On, which allows a bit of tire slip and sliding if you oversteer, and off, which lets the tires spin like crazy, doesn't apply the breaks at all if you oversteer or start to spin out. I find traction control handy sometimes, but for instance, especially on vehicles with less power (see my bowling fiasco with the Cadillac). Traction control was so bad and the vehicle was so gutless that  taking off required actual clutch and accellerator. Traction control took so much control of the vehicle that I couldn't get enough power to take off whereas when I had it disabled, the tires could spin just a little and I had some momentum to get going from a dead stop. The controller will also vibrate on the right side when the tires are spinning and you can hear them. Ease off on the gas a little - you'll learn how to feather the throttle in specific situations especially in the rain.

I also highly recommend the ultimate edition of FM7. It gives you some very nice vehicles and it will also crank up your collection tier. If you haven't already bought that version, you can get the car passes separately.

Hope that helps!

2018-12-12 08:45:36

Hi.
@Wolfy, I actually did a little look out on the race shop in the tutorial I did, so people can see the OCR usage in action, in adition to your text guide.
The way I would do it with the assists would be the following.
Before a race, take the car to the test track and turn on all assists. Tell people what you have to do when all assists are turned on.
Then, turn one of the assists off and show what the difference is and how you compensate losing that assist.
If that's down, turn off the next assist and do the same thing as before.
I have to be honest, I still need to learn what traction and stability do anyway and how they impact the racing feel, I haven't played the game in a fiew months and I always had basically all assists on, I didn't really have the time to experiment with the game, accept the tuning part, which also failed.

Greetings Moritz.

2018-12-13 00:22:19

simba wrote:

Hi.
@Wolfy, I actually did a little look out on the race shop in the tutorial I did, so people can see the OCR usage in action, in adition to your text guide.
The way I would do it with the assists would be the following.
Before a race, take the car to the test track and turn on all assists. Tell people what you have to do when all assists are turned on.
Then, turn one of the assists off and show what the difference is and how you compensate losing that assist.
If that's down, turn off the next assist and do the same thing as before.
I have to be honest, I still need to learn what traction and stability do anyway and how they impact the racing feel, I haven't played the game in a fiew months and I always had basically all assists on, I didn't really have the time to experiment with the game, accept the tuning part, which also failed.

Greetings Moritz.

All done.
I did it similar - took the wagoneer onto LE MANS OLD MULSANNE, which has a nice long straightaway to show a few things off. In regards to traction and stability control, I took the 1971 Plymouth GTX fast and furious edition out on the track, as it is very nearly impossible to control with both off. I then turned traction control to on and then super easy and repeated this with stability.

I also demonstrated how the game is just barely not really sort of playable if you disable auto breaking and super easy steering. I didn't go too much into damage because that really isn't useful in terms of lap times.

You can find that tutorial/demo  here:
http://anyaudio.net/listen?audio=ilAvp27PbUbj7

I did a little playing around with tuning, but that is for a completely different discussion as it mainly impacts freeplay and multiplayer races.

I forgot to mention this, but in the bowling showcase, I ended up turning steering to simply assisted so I could drift better the first time I did it and I completely forgot about that when I was demonstrating it, so that failed epically.

2018-12-27 03:51:18

Hi.
Bringing this back, Wolfy, a question to ya.

What difficulty did you set your drivatars to actually?
I am currently racing on average and can sack in in victorys almost every time, that#s when I set the race to long, i mostly lead the pack in lap 4 to 6, depends on the track and car.
Can I go any higher with the assists? Above average would be my next goal.
I wanted to test that, but before I thought of that I already had three mod cards installed which do give me a hevty bonus of 150 percent of my winnings in adition, so I am curious what you race on.

Greetings Moritz.

2018-12-27 04:05:51

Hi,
I haven't tried above average, but average is what I usually go for.

Long I usually start getting ahead by lap 3.

What assists are you using? Have you tried disabling any of them yet?

2018-12-27 04:08:29

Hi.
Ah, quick puppy you xD.
Yep, I am racing without traction control, I sometimes still screw up my weals and spinn them, have to find out how to not to do that anymore.
I also switched shifting to manual, I am not going for the clutch currently because I can get barely anything done when that is turned off, need to see how to properly do that.

Greetings Moritz.

2018-12-27 04:15:13

Also, if you still make your audio demos, could you quickly hsow how the free play mode works?
I can't really make heads or tails of the car list and the race options, they seam to dynamically change depending what you are doing, which throws me off a bit.
Thing is, for farming credits or creating forzathon challenges, free play mode is quite essential.

Greetings moritz.

2018-12-27 05:05:04

Oh, I demonstrate how to shift with the clutch on my latest forza playthrough.

I've kind of phased it out as interest has flagged so I wasn't sure. Regarding traction control and the power of the cars, just don't mash the right trigger all the way down. It takes a bit of skill but it just requires giving the car less throttle and don't over or under steer.

Hope that helps! It's a fun little challenge, isn't it?

2018-12-30 19:56:26

F

timberwolf1991 wrote:
Diegogaribay wrote:

An xbox guide for the blind? Those can already be found online. Narrator reads everything there is to be read so why do we need a blind specific one? Literally all you need to do is turn on your xbox, turn on narrator and you're ready to go.

Not sure how much of a guide can be written for a game of this magnitude. There are no FAQs online about it at all on mainstream. The menus are vast and huge and very hard to explain in text. I describe them a little in one of my recordings already and why I won't be trying to create a menu guide on my own.

Challenge excepted, although it will probably take me months  to do it all.. I already finished the sotry and world cup thing yesterday and turning all assists was easy once soeone on my xbox walked me through it twice. I have a post up on my youtube at youtube.com/marrie125 although I was just having fun and not really explaining  how to do much of anything. Once I got goig I was just rocking to the music.

Follow me on  my podcast twitter and feel free to listen to my music. Also subscribe to my youtube channel. Thanks.