2018-11-19 22:33:33

Hello guys!
What did you think of fantastic beasts and the crimes of Grindelwald?
I liked it, but for me there are 3 problems:
1: McGonagall. What is she doing in the movie? As far as we know, she was born in 1935 and became a teacher in 1956.
2: few signs of action. The beginning and the end are very good, but the rest ...
3: Aurelios Dumbledore. What do you think ?: Personally, unless you make a very good explanation for it, JK Rowling is putting an end to the world she created. I hope that's not it.
Contains your opinions!

2018-11-19 23:32:03

Dam this looks cool. I loved the first film so can’t wait to check this out.

2018-11-19 23:41:30

I am extremely disappointed. I haven't actually seen the movie yet, but by the sound of it I don't really want to.
Honestly the wizarding world has been going downhill since Cursed Child. It seems to me that Rowling just can't resist tying things in the Wizarding World to Harry Potter, rather than actually expanding and fleshing out the world in different ways, and the setting suffers for it. Example, Aurelios Dumbledore, as well as bringing Nagini into this movie with a completely new backstory.  It's all retconing previously established facts for no reason, except maybe fan service, but I as a fan do not feel happy about this. Even just expanding the Fantastic Beasts franchise to five movies never struck me as a good move (except for those who profit from it, he said cynically), and it seems I was right. Why is it even called Fantastic Beasts anyway? It's More like Rise of Grindelwald or something.
And just to be clear, this is from someone who absolutely loves all 7 Harry Potter books, even The Deathly Hallows, which I've seen an unreasonable amount of hate towards.

Perfectly balanced, as all things should be.
"Cause in a game of life or death, you either live, or you die."
"Wake the fuck up, samurai. We have a city to burn."

2018-11-20 01:26:15

I liked this youtube trailer:
fantastic beasts and the crimes of Grindelwald
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvFybpmyB9E

2018-11-20 08:48:23 (edited by Destranis 2018-11-20 08:50:04)

I really loved it. I saw it on Saturday, and I was amazed by the whole thing. Although I liked the enemy better, meaning Grindelwald himself, and I wasn't really fond of Newt Scamander, but well, yeah, that's me. big_smile Although it has soooo damn lot of visual things, but as a really huge Harry Potter world fan, I didn't care about it at all, my mother commented the whole thing to me so it was good that way.

2018-11-20 12:29:40

Hi,
I watched it on this sunday, unfortunately no ADV and I didnt want to bother my sighted family members to describe for me so I probably missed out on a few things, but yes, I liked the movie, but felt it could have been a bit more better, or maybe it was just my high expectations beforehand I suppose.
still worth a watch,and I for one am certainly looking forward to the other 3 parts.
I always wanted the dumblidore story expanded,and whilst it doesnt do so now, the 3 upcoming parts probably will.
Grryf

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2018-11-20 14:40:36

Yeah, i totally agree! I'm also looking forward to the next 3 parts as well!

2018-11-21 00:20:29

Thumbs up post 3.
I must say that unlike you I was not a fan of the last two books, but otherwise? Couldn't have said it better myself.

Prier practice and preparation prevents piss poor performance!

2018-11-21 05:38:55

I loved it!! I can't wait for the next 3!

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2018-11-21 19:14:58

If you can wait, the screen play may be available from BookShare.
Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald - The Original Screenplay; Hardcover; Author - J. K. Rowling
Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of ...

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/fantas … 0702775798

Hardcover
$17.30
Product Details
ISBN-13:
Publisher:
Scholastic, Inc.
Publication date:
11/16/2018
Series:
Harry Potter
Pages:
Sales rank:
Product dimensions:
5.50(w) x 8.25(h) x (d)
Age Range:
9 - 12 Years

2018-11-21 19:26:26

wasn't their a play made after book 7? I wish she made more books after book7.

PSN ID: AvidLitRPGer
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AvidLitRPGer
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AvidLitRPGer
leave me a message saying how you found me.

2018-11-21 20:08:33

Agreed! Would be delighted to read it all in books as well. Meaning not a kind of play, like they write down the text told in the movies, but a real book, written by J. K. Rowling herself, adapting the whole thing. That would be just awesome!

2018-11-21 23:05:40

well as some of us haven't seen the movie don't spoil it for others?

2018-12-10 22:39:03 (edited by Dark 2018-12-11 14:00:44)

Okay, I went to watch the film today since a good friend of mine came over to stay for a bit and watching films together has sort of been a tradition of ours ever since we watched the first hp film together at uni a scarily long time ago big_smile.

The cinema did have audio description which was awesome.

What was odd is that before the film, I had to  read the wikipedia article about the first film, because while I remember liking the magical creatures, nute skemanda being a very appealing character, and the mugle baker, I couldn't remember any actual details of the film's plot.

This is odd,  usually when i go to see the second film in a series I'm always thinking "hay what's going to hapen to so and so", or "I wonder where such and such a plot is going" but really the first film was so much popcorn it just didn't register.

It was fun, fluffy entertainment, but just not something that stuck with me.

That largely is how I feel about the second film. Visually and action wise it was awesome in parts, the characters were engaging but it just didn't add to the mythos much at all or really make me feel satisfied.

In general I'd say the film suffers from Mophat syndrome, albeit with a far better standard of writing and characterisation. It poses a hole bunch of questions and does a lot of things "because they're cool" rather than because they made sense.
This is why for much of the film I'm thinking that a lot of characters felt wasted, or that a lot of opportunities were lost, and thinking the next few films have a hell of a lot of ground to cover.

Okay, there is the none spoilery part of what I'm going to say, onto the spoilage, so if you haven't seen the film already, stop reading right here because the next part will be chock full of spoilers!

First, Jacob and queeny. This woman basically mind rapes JAcob into marrying her, something which in rowling universe is always seen as pretty dire, (Corvus Lestrange's father was portrayed quite the scumbag for doing the same thing), yet for the entire rest of the film Jacob is trying to make up for a single slip of the tongue he made. I get that queeny is sensative about the hole "crazy thing" but can you say over reaction, especially her joining the wizard nazi party. Indeed speaking of Grindlewald, I'm not exactly sure where he's coming from here. Its not really a blood purity thing like Voldemort, but his "muggles are different speech was a bit obvious here, can anyone say "all animals  equal but some are more equal than others?" 
I always got the idea in the hp books that Grindlewalt had basically his own nazi order complete with control over hoel regions of Europe, and yet we saw none of this, indeed his movement is remarkably like voldemort's accept for his huge castle of course.
Oh and where was the hallows symbol? Victor crum made out that it was Grindlewalt's sign and wearing it around europe now would be like someone running around with a swastika, and yet we didn't see it at all.

While we're on the subject, I thought that potterverse future prediction was an incredibly risky business, and yet here we see the most accurate crystal ball ever, and  predicting the second world war, which again, why in the name of merry hell should it allways be the second world war? Really there was more going on at the time big_smile.

Actually as a general point I'm rather sick of the second world war, it seems to turn up all the time these days.

then, poor Lita Lestrange. We see her having a bad time at Hogwarts, and Nute just being nice to her, yet she's marrying his brother? The brother with whom she has zero on screen time until she's conveniently got out of the way so Nute can have his romance with Tina. Can you say wasted potential for a character?
Indeed, I'm afraid I got the idea that her chief purpose in the plot was to provide information.

While we're on the subject of Newt, is it me or is Newt Skemanda quite the dood here? I mean, he has two out of the four main female leads both very interested in him, it sort of negates the hole  nice but socially awkward zoologist act, though I must admit its a change to see a film with just a plane nice guy as a main character, since yee gods I'm getting sick of edgy anxty heroes.

Less happily what in the hell was that spell that Grindlewald used at the end to create his ring of fire, a ring of fire that conveniently blew away everyone accept the main cast and his minions. What was the casting for that one "insendio redshirtio?" big_smile.

The mirror of errised? why exactly was dumbledor seeing a vision of himself making a blood pact with Grindlewalt? This was actually disappointing, there was the implication that there was something more going on between Dumbeldor and Grindlewalt, with the "closer than brothers" comment, and this would be the perfect chance to actually show it. Indeed, I'd have quite liked it if the film showed Albus' fantasy of him and Grindlewalt being a married couple since it would be a really nice way of including a good romance between two men, or at least the desire for one in a plot cogent way, but maybe this was too progressive for hollywood I don't know, plus I don't exactly see Dumbledor randomly chatting about his dead sister to some auras who really dislike him either, (methinks he was talking to the fans).

Speaking of progressive, Corvis Nanny was a half elf? since when do we have half house elves? I can see all the dobby x Belatrix fanfics now big_smile.
Okay, even if we accept half giants exist so there is presumably some sort of way in which differently sized wizarding couples can get together (EG Hagrid's dad being a little chap and his mum manifestly not), given that House elves are sort of bound to obey wizards at all times or beat themselves up, the idea of a relationship necessary to create a half elf is sort of a bit worrying, either that or its an amazingly progressive romance with its own wonderful story of cross species love, and thus not something to be exactly tossed off in one throw away line of dialogue, indeed "throw away" seems to some up that hole plotline generally.

Nicholas flamelle was great to see (even if he did have the potter versees most oddly accurate crystal ball ever), but where was his wife? and last I checked, he was an alchemist not a kick arse stand in for old Dumbeldor back when dumbeldor was a youngster, or maybe the implication is that Flamelle gave old Albus a model to live up to?
Oh, and Dumbeldor is still the greatest wizard ever at all ever, even as a young man whose just a teacher at hogwarts?

Mcgonigal, why?

Oh and Grindlewalt's random flame monster that gets mutliple bazzazzzed by the good guys, why?

And the spirit cat things? why?

And nagini is now  woman who randomly turned into a snake and was in a freak show, and yet we know will end up evil some how, though at least that one I'm hoping to be explained later?
And forks the phoenix back story, ---- why?

And dumbledor's brother, why?

Unfortunately, ~J K Rowling has a habbit of wanting to tie everything together, but there is a point, especially when your dealing with prequals that don't actually have an on going main series plot when it becomes name dropping for the sake of name dropping (doctor who is rather bad for this).

I bet soon it'll turn out that the eagle feather quill Hermione gave to harry was actually from an eagle who was the animagus form of Voldemort's sister who was  was secretly Lupin's old girlfriend before she was mistakenly fed poison by Ron Weesley's grandfather or something big_smile.

In general it wasn't a bad film I did enjoy it, but a combination of a lot of why? a lot of wasted plots and a lot of stuff that just seemed to exist because it was cool made it feel far  fragmented and less satisfying.
Undoubtedly  plots are going to be solved, such as Nagini, I'm interested to see where Rabastan Lestrange comes from for example (assuming we actually learn that, since if Leta was the last lestrange that's a pretty huge plot hole), however in general I wish it would do more to cover new ground and present us the adventures of new characters rather than just   add yet more continuity just for the sake of continuity, since there is a point when (to quote spaceballs), revealing that someone is your father's brothers cousin's nephew's former room mate really does mean absolutely nothing big_smile.

This process started in cursed child, when (as I said in my review of the screanplay, which you can Read here Albus Potter's complaint that he can't live up to his father is quite legitimate since apparently nothing at all interesting is currently happening in the Wizarding world, and we need to revisit Voldemort just to get some plot big_smile.

Its a shame, because like Albus and Scorpius, Newt, his creatures and Jacob are great to spend time with, and  characters like Creedence and Nagini have some great potential, but if all they're basically doing is hanging on to Harry Potter's coat tales, how can they have time to develop on their own?

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)